Fraudulent charge on Phone Bill from Members Edge

theblizzman

CAGiversary!
Has anyone seen charges over the last month from "Members Edge" on their phone bill? We called our phone company and they said anyone (as long as they had your phone number and birth date) could authorize a 3rd party charge to our phone bill. We have subsequently blocked all 3rd party charges, but cannot get to speak with anyone at "Members Edge". Supposedly they provide some form of computer storage and I "authorized a charge in May.
There has to be some way to file a complaint with the FTC or some regulating body.

This happens all the time.
Some smart ass congressman thought of a law that allows all 3rd party providers to tack on to your phone bill without approval.
So, unless you put a block on the recurring charge it'll continue to show up. Of course all of these 'companies' are scam artists. There're quite a few of them, and often times you'll see that their address shows up as P.O. Box in either Florida or Minesota.

I could never get the company that stole the money to actually reimburse me, but I threatened the phone company to walk out on them, unless I got reimbursed or simply deny the charge. After a while, they stopped the charge and reimbursed me/ignored the charge.
If you ever get in touch with the company, it's usually a single person answering the phones.

Anyways, in my case my wife clicked on some online survey, and buried in the tiny fine print it somehow authorized some 3rd party to start providing some bullshit service (online voicemail) and hence we were charged. It doesn't have to be you, just anybody you know that somehow links to your phone number...or even a bad prank.

Good luck!

Oh, and unless you're really mad about this, I wouldn't bother going after the company, once the charges are stopped. I tried reporting to the BBB and even the attorney general. All I got were canned responses about how it was somebody else's business to handle these scam artists.

bread's done
Back