Free 1 year membership for ECA (No Credit Card or Personal Information Required)

T9X69

CAGiversary!
Redbull is offering one year subscription to ECA for free. Visit the link below and on the right hand side of the page you will see "ARE YOU GAME? JOIN THE ECA, ON US". Click the picture, enter your details and activate your membership through your email. NO CREDIT CARD REQUIRED.

http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satellite/en_US/Music-Entertainment/Videogames/001242746208659

Once signed into ECA on the left hand side click on "Members Area" from there you can get all sorts of benefits. They offer things such as:

Free 30 Day Trial for Gamefly
25% off XBL Subscription
25% off IGN Insider Subscription
$50 off 250GB HDD for Slim Xbox's

Plus they have weekly drawings with all sorts prizes like pens and pads, t-shirts and hats, video games and video game accessories, energy drinks, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ECA still exists? Weren't they the people behind that huge "we won't let you quit our organization" debacle two or three years ago?

[quote name='Maklershed']The ECA still exists? Weren't they the people behind that huge "we won't let you quit our organization" debacle two or three years ago?[/QUOTE]

ECA I'm talking about is Entertainment Consumers Association and honestly I have no idea. I just got an email saying 1 year membership for free and checked out the what benefits they offered and said fuck it why not lol

[quote name='T9X69']Redbull is offering one year subscription to ECA for free. Visit the link below and on the right hand side of the page you will see "ARE YOU GAME? JOIN THE ECA, ON US". Click the picture, enter your details and activate your membership through your email.

http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satellite/en_US/Music-Entertainment/Videogames/001242746208659

Once signed into ECA on the left hand side click on "Members Area" from there you can get all sorts of benefits. They offer things such as:

Free 30 Day Trial for Gamefly
25% off XBL Subscription
25% off IGN Insider Subscription
$50 off 250GB HDD for Slim Xbox's

Plus they have weekly drawings with all sorts prizes like pens and pads, t-shirts and hats, video games and video game accessories, energy drinks, etc.[/QUOTE]

Hal Halpin?

[quote name='Maklershed']The ECA still exists? Weren't they the people behind that huge "we won't let you quit our organization" debacle two or three years ago?[/QUOTE]

iirc yes, so everyone don't do it.

[quote name='Arakias']Dont do it!!![/QUOTE]

Why? What's so bad about ECA? I'm confused lol

They don't ask for your credit card or anything, so you could use a fake email and name if you wanted. I don't see the harm unless I'm missing something.

[quote name='emg28']Hal Halpin =
T9X69 :shock:
[/QUOTE]

My real name is Chris...but okay.

I'm still confused about all the negativity towards ECA? Did they do something bad, scam people, what?

Here ya go:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244949

The short of it is that ECA kicked off with an incentive program for people that signed up .. there was a bunch of stuff but the big thing was something like 10% off all video game purchases on Amazon. It was something like $20 a year and a lot of people signed up on CAG. And then (if I remember correctly) due to too many people signing up and accusations of the discount abuse Amazon stopped giving their discount and everyone wanted to quit ECA but they weren't allowed to and then they finally were but ECA auto renewed people's memberships. It was a big mess.

Fun fact: Hal Halpin has a CAG account.

Ackbar.jpg

[quote name='Maklershed']Here ya go:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244949

The short of it is that ECA kicked off with an incentive program for people that signed up .. there was a bunch of stuff but the big thing was something like 10% off all video game purchases on Amazon. It was something like $20 a year and a lot of people signed up on CAG. And then (if I remember correctly) due to too many people signing up and accusations of the discount abuse Amazon stopped giving their discount and everyone wanted to quit ECA but they weren't allowed to and then they finally were but ECA auto renewed people's memberships. It was a big mess.[/QUOTE]

AH okay, well that makes sense. Thanks.

With this though, you don't need a credit card so they can't renew your membership making you pay because they have no form of payment. All they asked for what my name, email and address. Which I could have easily put in fake information and received the benefits. I checked the XBL Subscription just to test and it takes you to Xbox.com showing 12 months for $44. I don't see the harm since I've never heard of ECA until now, but I can see why people would be skeptical.

After I posted this and read all the replies I was doing this:

Hangover quote from Stu "What is going on!!" lol

[quote name='T9X69']Why? What's so bad about ECA? I'm confused lol

They don't ask for your credit card or anything, so you could use a fake email and name if you wanted. I don't see the harm unless I'm missing something.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure they used to.

Canceling an account with ECA is worse than pulling teeth.

As bad as it went down a couple of years ago, they're not requiring any type of payment or credit card info, so at least there is nothing to lose.

[quote name='clickpow']I'm pretty sure they used to.

Canceling an account with ECA is worse than pulling teeth.[/QUOTE]

Yea I read about it in the link that was posted above. Thankfully Redbull doesn't ask for any sort of verification or payment method. So using a fake email and information just to get the benefits is pretty good IMO. Even after you activate your account they don't ask for any of that stuff. The most harm that could be done is spam emails lol

[quote name='as50193']As bad as it went down a couple of years ago, they're not requiring any type of payment or credit card info, so at least there is nothing to lose.[/QUOTE]

This is the part people seem to be missing.

Yes, the ESA screwed up royally a couple of years ago in regards to their membership stuff. I can't blame anyone for still being annoyed with the way it was handled or being extremely wary of giving up their CC# again. However, you don't have to do that, so there's really nothing to lose.

The ESA does a lot for gamers. You know those stories you see about dickhead politicians trying to make a name for themselves by getting violent games banned or trying to waste your tax dollars with government rating systems that ignore the ESRB? The ESA is the one who fights them. The people behind the membership and payment stuff a couple of years ago can get fucked, but the organization as a whole is important to the industry and if you're passionate about gaming, you should care.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entertainment_Software_Association

[quote name='as50193']As bad as it went down a couple of years ago, they're not requiring any type of payment or credit card info, so at least there is nothing to lose.[/QUOTE]

The principle is what matters. The ECA is a dishonest organization and no one should sign up with them for any reason. You're only asking for trouble.

[quote name='neocisco']The principle is what matters. The ECA is a dishonest organization and no one should sign up with them for any reason. You're only asking for trouble.[/QUOTE]

How are you asking for trouble with fake information? I could see if they required real information or a credit card, but fake information? Who really cares. Some of the offers are pretty good.

I've never heard anything good about ECA. I remember reading long threads of people complaining about getting screwed over by them.

I really dont want to sign up for this again after what happened last time, but i am interested in buying a new HDD for my Xbox S. Can anyone tell me that has already signed up how the "$50 off 250GB HDD for Slim Xbox's" deal works? is it just a coupon, can it be used anywhere, ect?

[quote name='macontosh2000']I really dont want to sign up for this again after what happened last time, but i am interested in buying a new HDD for my Xbox S. Can anyone tell me that has already signed up how the "$50 off 250GB HDD for Slim Xbox's" deal works? is it just a coupon, can it be used anywhere, ect?[/QUOTE]

You can try it later but the website selling it is currently down.

Here's the Promo Code: "ECAMEMBERS"

http://www.caanoocenter.com/

You get free shipping as well.

[quote name='neocisco']The principle is what matters.[/QUOTE]

Real life analogy. I loved eating at a restaurant and was a frequent customer. One day my credit card gets charged $10 extra and I am promised my account will be refunded promptly. 2 weeks later, nothing. I spoke to a manager who pretty much said the refund had gone through. I gave up and stopped eating at the restaurant. Even if they offered me free meals, I wouldn't go back again due to what happened in the past.

[quote name='T9X69']You can try it later but the website selling it is currently down.

Here's the Promo Code: "ECAMEMBERS"

http://www.caanoocenter.com/

You get free shipping as well.[/QUOTE]

LOL! Just like how the Amazon coupons were "currently down" and more would be available "soon".

Hal Halpin is a flaming douchebag.

T9X69, Super Defender of the ECA.

Everyone who isn't aware of their sordid history, STAY AWAY FROM THE ECA! It is a dishonest organization and is not to be trusted.

[quote name='Haggar']Seems kinda weird how the TC is so protective over the ECA. . .[/QUOTE]

I'm not protective over them at all, I've never even heard about them until today. It's just I'm trying to share something here and some of you are acting like its such a big deal to provide fake information FFS to get discounts.

If you don't want to sign up, then don't I could care less.

Dude, you weren't here for the debacle of 2009. Shit went badly. Boxes were mailed, forum wars were waged, I think someone got a trident thrown at them.

I get it, maybe there's a way to take advantage of a deal this time but I'm not alone in saying that these fuckers are shady as all hell and there are better/safer ways to get the discounts they're offering.

Honestly the only coupon they have right now is the 250gb drive one and since my Xbox is not a slim it isn't worth it. The reason people on CAG distrust the ECA is because Amazon dropped itself from the ECA sponsor program which meant no more coupons. The ECA attempted to at first hide this and then when it came out that there were going to be no more Amazon codes a mass influx of people wished to cancel their memberships and the ECA had an archaic cancellation system which further upset people.

I am well aware of the shitstorm that happened with many people before, but I'm with the OP. If they don't have your credit/debit info, they can't charge you for anything. Bad rep of not, if you get free benefits then I'm in for it.

heh heh no, I had to sign up for that big ass certified letter we sent out. There is a reason he won cag villain. Regardless of whether they have our information or not none of us want to do business with hal who often blamed us for the debacle.

I remember the Amazon deal with them. The cheaters killed it and then whined when they lost it I heard story’s on slickdeals of coupon stacking so bad that I was happy when they ended it!

And everyone should know by now any company that has auto-renew will be a pain to cancel! :bs:

[quote name='Halo gamer']
And everyone should know by now any company that has auto-renew will be a pain to cancel! :bs:[/QUOTE]

Nobody could have known it was going to auto renew since the program start was literally announced on CAG. The people on this site were amongst the ECA's first members. Also, nobody could've suspected that a group whose soul mission was to protect video game consumers rights would've done anything to fuck their own constituents and the only people who justify their existence. Finally, (and if I remember correctly) while the shit was hitting the fan and people wanted to quit, the ECA changed their opt out method from email to writing them a hard copy letter.

[quote name='Halo05']Dude, you weren't here for the debacle of 2009. Shit went badly. Boxes were mailed, forum wars were waged, I think someone got a trident thrown at them.

I get it, maybe there's a way to take advantage of a deal this time but I'm not alone in saying that these fuckers are shady as all hell and there are better/safer ways to get the discounts they're offering.[/QUOTE]

ah yes, i remember that box. that was awesome. i bet we made one very lucky employee's day with that box. one page per person, with 100's of signatures if i remember correctly. whatever cag organized/printed and mailed that package was awesome. iirc cheapy paid for the shipping and what-not lol.

I think you guys are exagerating. So what if they fucked up their policy once? Management can always fuck up things. Mismanagement happens in companies all the time.

Give them a try. Hell, they don't have their financial info, nothing to worry about. Even more, they are a consumer non-profit agency, I don't think they want to scam people. It seems to me they make more money getting grants from third parties, tax-payers, and the government.

Your opinion is rife with ignorance. If you weren't a part of the massive problem that occurred with them (and I'm assuming you weren't) then you're not really in a position to say whether there is any exaggeration.

It's not an exaggeration. I see why people would be tempted to sign up especially since you can use fake details but after everything they did, I wouldn't sign up with them again unless they can somehow prove they are trustworthy. They could've easily said we're sorry but Amazon has cancelled their discount program. Instead they said they were working on it and then said the cancel button they had wasn't real. Then they told everybody they were on auto-renew and the only way to cancel was to mail a letter and in additional they couldn't be certain if they ever got your letter. So it had to have delivery confirmation on it too. Even after they put the cancel button back on the site, they made the wording very confusing for people who wanted to cancel, just to try and trick you into staying. So yea, I don't trust them.

bread's done
Back