Free Basic Cable?

Makaveli_The_Don

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Hi Everybody.

I recently cancelled my DirecTV because since the end of NFL season I have not been watching it much. Like a couple hours a week and that wasn't worth paying $64.99 for it.

Right now I get two channels. Fox comes in pretty fuzzy and NBC I can see a little better and is almost watchable.

I've heard of some Digital Basic Free Cable box or something - but when searching on google I can't find anything.

Is there such a way that I can get the basic channels (Fox, NBC, CBS, ABC, etc) on my TV and they come in clear for free? If so, what do I need?

Thanks.

Hopefully you are not talking about stealing cable.... I think what you are looking for is a digital converter box. You can then pick up the free over air broadcasts. All you need is the box and an antenna. You can also watch most of the shows over on Hulu. Hope this helps.

I used to get NBC clearly on my old CRT television. It didn't even have rabbit ears. The signal was just picked up by the plug on the back I'd assume.

If anything the digital conversion makes over-the-air television signals much clearer.

just watch tv on the internet like most people do. theres lot of places that host their own shows for free and alot of place you can download shows from. i dont know if its ok to talk about on here or not but just google some o the shows you wach and youll find something.

also they do have converter boxes for older tvs that have really clear images and a few extra channels. when they were all u about the switch the govt was giving away coupons so people could get these boxes at a discount.

Yeah, it's not the antenna it's the translation of the signal. Old antennas will still work you just either need a converter box or a tuner built into the TV.

I know a website that streams ALL sports games and streams basic cable channels, all live, but in standard definition. PM me if you want the link though, since it may not be cool with the mods here. Also, you don't have to download or install anything, but you need to watch it on your PC.

So basically this is a thread asking how to watch TV?

You must've not been paying attention to any of those digital transition PSAs over the past 2+ years.

The stations you listed are broadcast networks and NOT cable.

Edit: It just amazes me how there is a generation or more of people who know nothing less than pay-tv, satellite, cable --- and when it is not there they are at a loss. :whistle2:|

I'm pretty sure the free vouchers for converter boxes is over. And it's not even free anymore. Stores sell the boxes for $10 higher than whatever the coupon covers, so they can make a buck while having to stock these shitty boxes they previously didn't make dick off of.

If you've got cable internet (via Comcast, etc), I'm pretty sure you should just be able to use a cable 2-way splitter and run one cable into your modem and the other cable into your TV to get basic cable channels. It won't have the best picture on an HDTV, but it would be better than nothing.

If you only care about watching regular network TV, just get a DTV box and rabbit ears, they will work fine.
There's no way in hell I"m paying $17 a month just to watch shows I can get for free over the air or internet.

Not to mention by the time they get to you, they are compressed by the provider.

I get better picture quality with the antenna I bought from Walmart. Dropped cable awile back, don't really miss it.

Free cable?
Say you have something where you have phone, internet, and cable but don't want to pay for cable. You call them up and cancel cable, NOT internet and/or phone.
Then you find your beige-looking box on the outside of your house. They put a filter on it so you can't get cable. Well, you sorta open it and "fix" it so the filter doesn't work. That's all I know...

I know I COULD watch TV over the internet but I don't like to do that. It just doesn't feel right. I want to watch TV on a TV in my living room not on a 19" monitor.

To TXboxGuy - I've had a dish (DishNetwork/DirecTV) for the last 12-13 years. So yeah, I never cared when the showed them PSA ads or whatever.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I'll into buying "Rabbit Ears" and a DTV Box.

[quote name='Makaveli_The_Don']I know I COULD watch TV over the internet but I don't like to do that. It just doesn't feel right. I want to watch TV on a TV in my living room not on a 19" monitor.

To TXboxGuy - I've had a dish (DishNetwork/DirecTV) for the last 12-13 years. So yeah, I never cared when the showed them PSA ads or whatever.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I'll into buying "Rabbit Ears" and a DTV Box.[/QUOTE]

Why don't you hook your PC up to your TV?

Also, make sure you need the converter box first before you buy one. I know I can plug my antenna directly into my TV.

I have heard that if you get cable through comcast/mediacom whatever that you get your standard cable channels for free. Also if you get a converter box or have a newer TV with it built in, with an antenna you can get around 15-20 channels. but a lot of it is bullshit channels.

bread's done
Back