free cable internet?

df17

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
I have a friend that told me that all I have to do to get this work is to get a cable modem and a usb cord. he told me that all I have to do is connect the same wire that I use for my comcast cable box to the cable modem and connect the modem with a usb cord.he said that it will only work if cable internet is available to your area. Then all I have to do is change the internet explorer settings from 56k to some high number(I forgot).

he said that it is real fast but the only problems that he has is all of the pop-ups that he gets while he uses it because it is on the internet exporer window.

He also told me that I works with online console gaming meaning that you dont need to have an actual broadband connection. I asked him that all this time I thought that he was rich but then he told he how he got everything for free.

my friend told me that as long as I had digital cable and was able to get a cable internet that it will work. I did some research on this already and the only information that I got is that some cable companies have a channel that send the necessary frequencies to get cable internet.

My question is if someone can try this method out, it sounds to good to be true but if also makes alot of sense since the cable modem wire is the exact same wire as the cable tv wire. Post your findings please.

Not to pass moral judgement, but assuming I'm reading your post correctly, I've made one minor correction in your original post.

[quote name='davidflecha17'] thought that he was rich but then he told he how he

is a thief.

got everything for free.
[/quote]

he told me that he has xbox live this way. All he used was a motorola cable modem, and connected his cable wire to the cable modem, connected the cat 5 cable and connected the other side to the xbox and it worked. Some one try it, it might actually work!

You can do some of the following things-

You can steal, and if you get caught, you get screwed- (I.E. jail time / juvie with some manly men who would like your rear as a poking device)

You can pretend that not having it is ok- Broadband sucks, and is way to expensive. Playing online with low lag sucks- I prefer to play with myself to playing online.

You can cough up the dough, spend money, and get broadband.

Best of luck.

If it makes you feel any better, when I was a child (I.E. younger than 18 ) I got fooled into thinking the EGM april prank of getting belmont in TMNT was legit. I let a friend borrow the mag and he wasted 3 hours trying to get it to work (I was not there). He was pissed when he found out that it was fake.

Your friend is either- incompetent or a liar.

Broadband is more expensive.
Some things are worth it.
I'd cancel my phone landline or my cable channels before I'd cancel broadband.

plug and steal--catchy : )

How long has he lived at the residence? Maybe the previous owner had it and the cable company didn't disable it. It is stealing but saying he is going to jail is a bit steep from what I have seen from people who have done similar things is the company just turns it off

maybe you guys are right. he does lie alot. He told me that rare owned donkey kong and that there was going to be a game made for xbox.

all I want is for someone to confirm that this does not work by actually trying it.

It's not gonna work. Everything would have to pass through their network on the way to his modem. They would recognize it quickly and do something about it...

Cable TV on the other hand, is quite easy to steal since it works in the same way broadcast does...

[quote name='davidflecha17']maybe you guys are right. he does lie alot. He told me that rare owned donkey kong and that there was going to be a game made for xbox.

all I want is for someone to confirm that this does not work by actually trying it.[/quote]

Some people here know it won't work without having to try it.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Your cable modem's mac address has to be input into their system. You can't just plug and steal.[/quote]

exactly. that address gets sent to the cable company and when they see its not registered with them, you wont be getting any bandwidth.

[quote name='friedram'] I prefer to play with myself to playing online.[/quote]

TOO.....MANY....JOKES.......MUST .....NOT.......POST!!!!!

Sorry, I just thought that was humorous.........Yes, I have the funny bone of a 10 year old.... :D

[quote name='jalu6'][quote name='RedvsBlue']Your cable modem's mac address has to be input into their system. You can't just plug and steal.[/quote]

exactly. that address gets sent to the cable company and when they see its not registered with them, you wont be getting any bandwidth.[/quote]

if they have this capability then people would be getting arrested for stealing cable everywhere.

It does work with some cable companies. Cox is one of them. Just plug a cable moden in, and then hook it up with either a USB cable or ethernet cable.

[quote name='jalu6'][quote name='RedvsBlue']Your cable modem's mac address has to be input into their system. You can't just plug and steal.[/quote]

exactly. that address gets sent to the cable company and when they see its not registered with them, you wont be getting any bandwidth.[/quote]

if they have this capability then people would be getting arrested for stealing cable everywhere. the signals are kept on a blank channel of the cable

[quote name='BigNick']It does work with some cable companies. Cox is one of them. Just plug a cable moden in, and then hook it up with either a USB cable or ethernet cable.[/quote]

Actually now that I think of it when I moved into my house and got my cable connected the guy commented that it was easy to hook up my cable modem since the plug was already live

[quote name='jlarlee'][quote name='BigNick']It does work with some cable companies. Cox is one of them. Just plug a cable moden in, and then hook it up with either a USB cable or ethernet cable.[/quote]

Actually now that I think of it when I moved into my house and got my cable connected the guy commented that it was easy to hook up my cable modem since the plug was already live[/quote]

ya, I wouldnt lie. It doesnt work for charter internet, but it does for some. The only way to tell is to try it out.

[quote name='beerguy961']

Cable TV on the other hand, is quite easy to steal since it works in the same way broadcast does...[/quote]

How does cable work the same as broadcast? One is received as an over the air broadcast and the other is sent via wire.

don't forget the cable wire that you plug behind a cable box is the same exact wire they use for cable internet.

I am talking about digital cable

[quote name='greendj27'][quote name='beerguy961']

Cable TV on the other hand, is quite easy to steal since it works in the same way broadcast does...[/quote]

How does cable work the same as broadcast? One is received as an over the air broadcast and the other is sent via wire.[/quote]

The signal is dispersed to all cable connections. They can't keep tabs on who's plugged into their system without physically going to that person's house and checking it due to the fact that they send a signal, but don't send one back...

[quote name='davidflecha17']don't forget the cable wire that you plug behind a cable box is the same exact wire they use for cable internet.

I am talking about digital cable[/quote]

Dude.

It doesn't work.

STOP THINKING IT DOES!!!!! The cable company has to authorize you for a connection!

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='davidflecha17']don't forget the cable wire that you plug behind a cable box is the same exact wire they use for cable internet.

Dude.

It doesn't work.

STOP THINKING IT DOES!!!!! The cable company has to authorize you for a connection![/quote]

Unless he has cox cable where it might be a possiblity if the previous resdient had it and cox didn't disconnect it.

flecha:

I gotta agree with Scorch. You gotta give it up.

This didn't work for me. I tried something similar a while ago with my next door neighbor. We both have comcast cable, and i have cable internet, as well as digital cable. I took my modem over to her house and plugged it into the wall and her computer... nothing. And when the technician hooked up my internet stuff, he didn't just plug in the modem and go "ok have fun" he had to put in specific filter on the line where it comes into the house (no idea what that was) and he had to authorize my computer so that it would work with their system.

Although apparently Cox cable is different, most cable companies require more than just a physical connection. Sorry dude, your friend is probably lying. Friends lie.
Tell him that he doesn't need to lie for you to like him, that you respect him as an individual no matter what... and then knock him upside the head for being a stupid jackass!

[quote name='BigNick']Another trick that works great is to pay for cable internet, and get free basic cable.[/quote]

or know someone that works for the cable company, or give your cable guy a tour of your bedroom *hint hint*, because dignity don't cost a thang.

[quote name='Xtreme331']flecha:

This didn't work for me. I tried something similar a while ago with my next door neighbor. We both have comcast cable, and i have cable internet, as well as digital cable. I took my modem over to her house and plugged it into the wall and her computer... nothing. And when the technician hooked up my internet stuff, he didn't just plug in the modem and go "ok have fun" he had to put in specific filter on the line where it comes into the house (no idea what that was) and he had to authorize my computer so that it would work with their system.

Although apparently Cox cable is different, most cable companies require more than just a physical connection. Sorry dude, your friend is probably lying. Friends lie.
Tell him that he doesn't need to lie for you to like him, that you respect him as an individual no matter what... and then knock him upside the head for being a stupid jackass![/quote]

you are right on some things but some of the very first cable modems do not have to be activated to use them. the hew ones have security and is almost impossible. I dont know the right terms but It is kind of like the new cable modems have some kind of code so that the cable companies can track the old ones do not have this.

[quote name='davidflecha17'][quote name='Xtreme331']flecha:

Tell him that he doesn't need to lie for you to like him, that you respect him as an individual no matter what... and then knock him upside the head for being a stupid jackass![/quote]

you are right on some things but some of the very first cable modems do not have to be activated to use them. the hew ones have security and is almost impossible. I dont know the right terms but It is kind of like the new cable modems have some kind of code so that the cable companies can track the old ones do not have this.[/quote]

EVERY type of network adapter has a MAC address. Cable modems are no different.

just order the service for christs sake. its one of the few things that are actually worth every penny you pay for it.

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='davidflecha17']don't forget the cable wire that you plug behind a cable box is the same exact wire they use for cable internet.

Dude.

It doesn't work.

STOP THINKING IT DOES!!!!! The cable company has to authorize you for a connection![/quote]

Only if the cable company uses a controller. There are a few that still don't. And Big Nick is right, you can get free Cable TV off your cable internet connection. Just use a splitter, one end goes to your cable modem and the other can go to a TV.

Very true that every adapter has a MAC address, but unless the ISP has a controller that hands out bandwidth based on a customer's MAC, it doesn't matter.

I found a description about cable internet on this site:

http://sf1000.registeredsite.com/~user840306/internet/

Cable Modem - Utilizing existing cable TV coaxial cables, this service is provided by your cable TV provider. A cable modem device connects just like a TV or cable box. The computer is connected to the cable modem via a network card (NIC) and an Ethernet cable. Speeds here can exceed 1.5Mbps, but as more people in your area join the cable access network, speeds may diminish as everyone is sharing the same maximum bandwidth. Monthly costs around $50 on top of cable TV subscription. Not available in all areas

what I want to know is how come it is not possible to connect this up to your regular cable wire and use xbox live forget about the internet part the computer has a mac address .

On comcast it will work for about a day or so. Then they will block your MAC address of your cable modem. At least that is what the cable installer has told me when he installed my Time Warner setup. He did state that it would not work at Time Warner at all because the MAC is required to be in the system before you can communicate. Apparently some Comcast setups are configured to allow everyone on and then they block all new entries that did not order.

[quote name='TheRaven'][quote name='Scorch'][quote name='davidflecha17']don't forget the cable wire that you plug behind a cable box is the same exact wire they use for cable internet.

Dude.

It doesn't work.

Only if the cable company uses a controller. There are a few that still don't. And Big Nick is right, you can get free Cable TV off your cable internet connection. Just use a splitter, one end goes to your cable modem and the other can go to a TV.[/quote]

Actually most cable companies use a filter now. So if you only bought cable internet they filter out the analog tv channels so you can't watch tv.

[quote name='davidflecha17']I found a description about cable internet on this site:

Cable Modem - Utilizing existing cable TV coaxial cables, this service is provided by your cable TV provider. A cable modem device connects just like a TV or cable box. The computer is connected to the cable modem via a network card (NIC) and an Ethernet cable. Speeds here can exceed 1.5Mbps, but as more people in your area join the cable access network, speeds may diminish as everyone is sharing the same maximum bandwidth. Monthly costs around $50 on top of cable TV subscription. Not available in all areas

what I want to know is how come it is not possible to connect this up to your regular cable wire and use xbox live forget about the internet part the computer has a mac address .[/quote]

Because if your cable company uses a controller, then bandwidth will only be utilized to registered MAC addresses. So if you hook up your XBox, which has its own MAC address, and its not recognized, you won't get any bandwidth.

[quote name='Indiana'][quote name='TheRaven'][quote name='Scorch'][quote name='davidflecha17']don't forget the cable wire that you plug behind a cable box is the same exact wire they use for cable internet.

Dude.

It doesn't work.

Only if the cable company uses a controller. There are a few that still don't. And Big Nick is right, you can get free Cable TV off your cable internet connection. Just use a splitter, one end goes to your cable modem and the other can go to a TV.[/quote]

Actually most cable companies use a filter now. So if you only bought cable internet they filter out the analog tv channels so you can't watch tv.[/quote]

Some do, and some claim they do...I know that Cox and Mediacom do not for sure.

Some cable companies do have an active connection, and you can split it. I've seen it work. However.... all internet cable requires a filter and a certain cable to get good connection, doing it the freebie (read: illegal and asshat) way gives you terribly shitty connection speeds.

[quote name='TheRaven'][quote name='davidflecha17']I found a description about cable internet on this site:

what I want to know is how come it is not possible to connect this up to your regular cable wire and use xbox live forget about the internet part the computer has a mac address .[/quote]

Because if your cable company uses a controller, then bandwidth will only be utilized to registered MAC addresses. So if you hook up your XBox, which has its own MAC address, and its not recognized, you won't get any bandwidth.[/quote]

actually, it registers the MAC of the modem, not whatever its connected to. thats why if you decided to hook up a router, you would not need to call your cable company. the xbox/ps2/other computer/new NIC card would work fine.

I have comcast and i don't think they use a controler because there is only one wire for every connection including digital cable and cable internet.

digital cable is not the same as regular cable

[quote name='jalu6'][quote name='TheRaven'][quote name='davidflecha17']I found a description about cable internet on this site:

Because if your cable company uses a controller, then bandwidth will only be utilized to registered MAC addresses. So if you hook up your XBox, which has its own MAC address, and its not recognized, you won't get any bandwidth.[/quote]

actually, it registers the MAC of the modem, not whatever its connected to. thats why if you decided to hook up a router, you would not need to call your cable company. the xbox/ps2/other computer/new NIC card would work fine.[/quote]

True in some cases, but in that guys example, he has nothing registered at all..his modem wouldnt be registered because he has not signed up for service.

Also, with Mediacom, they do register the device the modem connects to, whether it be straight to a PC for the enet's MAC or whether is be to a router for that MAC. I don't know why they do it that way, but they do.

It pretty much sounds like this thing should work. I dont feel like spending 100.00 dollars on a modem until I know for sure it works. If someone has a cable modem already and has comcast digital cable, I suggest they try it and post their findings.

[quote name='davidflecha17']It pretty much sounds like this thing should work. I dont feel like spending 100.00 dollars on a modem until I know for sure it works. If someone has a cable modem already and has comcast digital cable, I suggest they try it and post their findings.[/quote]

Last i checked you can return things to stores like modems. Some companies give you a modem for signing up for the service and you can do this the legal way.

Apparently some of you don't realize that broadband is not available everywhere. This is to the poster who keeps saying "stop being a tight ass and pony up the cash for it, it's worth every penney." Well, I would pay for DSL, but I can't because it's not offered here. Maybe the OP is in the same boat as me.

[quote name='ragtop70']Apparently some of you don't realize that broadband is not available everywhere. This is to the poster who keeps saying "stop being a tight ass and pony up the cash for it, it's worth every penney." Well, I would pay for DSL, but I can't because it's not offered here. Maybe the OP is in the same boat as me.[/quote]

Ok how do you steal something that you can't buy? I'm confused.

bread's done
Back