Free Command & Conquer Classics!

some of these have been free, just not distributed like this! are they updated to run on modern day PCs? anyways, thanks OP!!

[quote name='token2k6']some of these have been free, just not distributed like this! are they updated to run on modern day PCs? anyways, thanks OP!![/QUOTE]

The install instructions only guarantee XP to run them (in Win95 mode).
My work PC is still running XP. ;-) I was never a fan of Starcraft, but I loved the classic 2.5D C&C and Warcraft series. (I will contest that Red Alert 2 had the best campaign ever -- maybe I was young and naive, but it blew me away. It's influences are now taken for granted today.)

Thanks so much OP, I have such fond memories of these early Westwood Studios games, before the team was gutted by EA. Always preferred C&C to the 'Craft series myself.

Excellent. Will download Tiberian Sun and play online. I'm hope there's still a decent number of people playing online...

Keep getting an invalid or missing DLL file in Win7 Pro 32-bit for TS2, I unzipped, ran the registry editor, then click to play the game, then get the error..oh well. that's why I don't trust old PC games unless they have been updated and guaranteed to work like from Steam or GoG.com

Haven't these been free for a really long time? Weird that EA is apparnelty making a big deal out of it for Valentine's day. C&C I believe became free when they released C&C3, and then RA when RA3 came out. Tiberian Sun might be new though.

I remember beta testing command and conquer. Westwood studios invited a bunch of people who were at a particular electronics boutique back in Vegas. That was awesome indeed.

I'm late to the bandwagon. Ive actually never played c&C games but have always been interested. this is perfect for me. Thanks Op!

Tiberian Sun always was and still is my favorite C&C game. I loved the science fiction in it. So awesome that its free now, I'd download it if I didn't already have that C&C pack with all the games.

[quote name='mcthatch']based on the web page, it looks like it may be semi-permanent[/QUOTE]

They'd put Red Alert up for free when Red Alert 3 was released, and that was eventually taken down. Hopefully it's a little more permanent this time around (get it while it's hot!)

I'm in the same Win7/64-bit hole that other folks are in. Hopefully there's a simpler/better solution than virtualization

I just installed C&C 1 and Red Alert on my Windows 7 netbook, and they run flawlessly. I'm not sure if this will help with the 64 bit version (as the netbook runs 32 bit) but make sure you are following the instructions that are in the links, they will tell you how to install them in Windows XP, and the same steps work in 7. Here's a summary:

C&C1- Mount the CD image or load with Daemon tools or other virtual CD drive. Run the setup program. If you get an error, make sure you run it in Windows 95 compatibility mode. After the installation, download this patch:
http://www.cncforums.com/new/local_links.php?action=ratelink&linkid=506&catid=68&lpage=1
and install it. It should now run, but you may need to find the C&C95.exe and select Run in Win95 mode again.

C&C Red Alert: The easiest way to do it is to use the Red Alert Download manager found here:
http://ra.afraid.org/html/downloads/utilities-3.html
Load your ISO or CD, run the setup program, it does everything for you pretty much.

One issue I encountered was when running the game the colors were messed up, like it was running in 256 color mode or something. I did some searching, and the fix for that is to open up the menu that lets you select your monitor resolution. You don't have to change it, but you have to have it open, then run the game and it works! This is the same with both games.

bread's done
Back