Free copy of Detour for backing Kickstarter: The Dead Linger

Os Money

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sandswept/the-dead-linger

More info on the game: http://www.thedeadlinger.com/

Update: 4/22/2012-

We've released our second dev vlog; "Night & Day." This is a very, very early, pre-alpha sneak-peek at our night and day cycle in The Dead Linger. Nothing here is final, and everything will be improved. There will be many more videos to come.

Follow this link!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ytZpxVn9JmU

Survive

We're creating a game first and foremost about your choices, and those choices determine your survival in this zombie-filled world. The goals you have are the goals you set. Scavenging, exploring, fortifying, building, barricading, and of course, fighting off the zombie hordes.

Explore

The world of The Dead Linger is randomly generated, and it is the size of a small planet. We don't simply mean it's large, we truly mean it's planet-sized. About 25,000 kilometers, to be exact. Every new world created will be different, and you can explore every inch of it, indoors and outdoors, every window, every door.

Fortify

You've found a hideout. Now what? Barricade it! Fortify it! Defend it! You probably need a place to keep your stuff. You might need a place to house your clan, or maybe you just like a particular building you found. If you choose, you can fortify and defend

With Friends

Supporting up to at least 16 players in a single world, The Dead Linger can be played solo or with a group of friends watching your back.

And Enemies

We're bringing Player vs. Player to the zombie apocalypse! Have you ever wanted to shoot it out through a massive city-scape, with zombies intermingling and causing chaos in between? The Dead Linger will feature solo, cooperative, and PvP game modes for whatever flavor you prefer.

And we need YOUR help!

In order to get our key team members working full time on this project, and in order to ensure we bring everything promised here, we need your help. Who are we? http://www.sandswept.net/inside/meet-the-team

Release Plan

In order to get TDL out there and into your hands as soon as we can, we're releasing the game once it is in a polished Alpha stage. Players will be able to buy it for a lower price during Alpha, play it, and give us feedback and suggestions. The game will eventually migrate into Beta stage, and then the final Release stage.

We want nothing more than to see The Dead Linger created. It's a game that we want to make, and we want to play. We want you to be a part of it.

You can learn more about The Dead Linger at www.thedeadlinger.com, and you can more learn about our team, and visit our forums (and ask questions) over at www.sandswept.net!

Additional $10 Reward: Free Copy of DETOUR!

For everyone who has backed at least $10, we will be giving you a free copy of our fun, simple action-RTS title, DETOUR, available on Steam.

Additional $50 Reward: Extra copy of The Dead Linger!

We've gotten a lot of feedback regarding an extra copy of TDL as one of the rewards. We know that many out there have friends, girlfriends, boyfriends, pets, and parents who want to also join them in the apocalypse. For everyone who has backed at least $50, you will receive an additional full copy of The Dead Linger when the alpha releases.

There have been a lot of questions to our inbox and such. Be sure to swing over to our forums http://www.sandswept.net/forums/ and check out the FAQ at the bottom of the main project page here on Kickstarter.

Thank you so much for the support! We have about 9 days left, and we're attempting to get something pretty awesome ready before this is all over.

Pardon Our Dust!

p.s. We heard @rkeene0517 has been dropping the occasional [pre-alpha] screenshot... You may want to follow him on Twitter.

Other people to follow:

@geoffkeene (Project Lead)

@Fisforfemme (Producer, Community Manager)

@thedeadlinger (Official Twitter for The Dead Linger)

@Sandswept (Official Sandswept Twitter)

Sandswept Studios about 4 hours ago (4/20/12 2:49am est)
@Mitchell: We can't edit rewards once selected, so the rewards we've added later on have to be a separate entry. Just select either one, you'll still get both.

Sandswept Studios about 3 hours ago (SAME ABOVE TIME)
@Bradley Heidler: We will send out a Kickstarter survey to gather email addresses and other info in order to get reward codes and so on to everyone. Thanks!

So $25 gets you not only a DRM free copy of the game, but also a FREE Copy of DETOUR (available on steam)

I backed wasteland 2 and this game so far. Im prob going to back shadowrun too, still debating on that one though.

This game looks/sounds like what i wanted Dead Island to be more like. Not that that was a bad game at all, just felt lacking and with little replay value. is anyone backing this? im stoked

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, this looks a lot like Fort Zombie, only probably a ton better. The idea and concept is great IMO. Not sure if I will like or need Detour. Anyword on what the retail price of the game will be on release? If it will just be 25 I might wait, but thanks for posting either way as this is a game I will definitely be playing.

All i know right now if is the alpha keys are starting at $25. PC only right now, mac and Linux down the road. Either way when has any kickstarter given away a game basically for backing a future project? i think thats awesome.

Cool. I tried Fort Zombie and I want to like the concept but goodness that game has the worse controls ever. Have you tried Project Zomboid? Similar deal but cheaper at this point. I do agree the free game is sweet, but I don't know how much I'll be playing detour. And it looks like they will get all the funding they need for this game so I might save my 25 and use it for the new Walking Dead and just purchase this when it finally comes to fruition.

[quote name='Camre']I think I just clicked on a commercial..[/QUOTE]

I have to agree. All of these kickstarter threads are pretty much just advertising.

I'm all for helping people make their dream games, but I think its time somebody makes a kickstarter thread to house the posts that have been flooding the forum as of late.

[quote name='Os Money']All i know right now if is the alpha keys are starting at $25. PC only right now, mac and Linux down the road. Either way when has any kickstarter given away a game basically for backing a future project? i think thats awesome.[/QUOTE]

Every kick starter copycat that I've seen has offered some game for support.

Can we please move all these kickstarter threads to the Other Deals forum? I don't care about them at all, and the deals forum is clogged up enough with duplicate threads and skylanders.

Edit: I guess Other Deals is not the right place. Maybe an "OFFICIAL KICKSTARTER THREAD" or something.

[quote name='hobbie8046']
Edit: I guess Other Deals is not the right place. Maybe an "OFFICIAL KICKSTARTER THREAD" or something.[/QUOTE]

I like this. Love that some devs are CAGers but a dedicated Kickstarter would be well served unless everyone thinks it wouldn't allow the devs more voice.

One thread for all Kickstarters would not work. Each one is unique with its own deals. incentives, etc. It would just be a huge mess of a thread with the need for like 10 super long OPs just to describe them all. People just need to get over their own egos and if they don't have any interest in kickstarters then don't click on threads about them.

[quote name='NEP']I have to agree. All of these kickstarter threads are pretty much just advertising.

I'm all for helping people make their dream games, but I think its time somebody makes a kickstarter thread to house the posts that have been flooding the forum as of late.[/QUOTE]

Theyre giving away a free game that has already been made by supporting this one....therefore you get the game Detour for being a backer and the game theyre developing The Dead Linger. (2 games if thats hard to understand)

[quote name='ijustw1n']Every kick starter copycat that I've seen has offered some game for support.[/QUOTE]

not a dev here. just spreading the love.

i dont mind a kickstarter thread, but in same token....there is a new thread for every indie bundle too....and there is a fuck ton of them. Theyre all unique anyways, wouldnt work very well. Dont have to read these threads :D

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Can we move the whining to its own forum?[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more, let's make it happen. Kickstarters are just as big a deal as any other game and frequently a better one.

[quote name='NEP']I have to agree. All of these kickstarter threads are pretty much just advertising.

I'm all for helping people make their dream games, but I think its time somebody makes a kickstarter thread to house the posts that have been flooding the forum as of late.[/QUOTE]

Amen.

Kickstarter projects are all different games. Meanwhile we have 50 threads about different spylander action figures.

[quote name='mikejenks']Kickstarter projects are all different games. Meanwhile we have 50 threads about different spylander action figures.[/QUOTE]

You are right! While we are at it can we get a fucking newegg thread?

This one is a bit pricey for the risk. Detour was $1 or so on a daily deal a few months back at steam and right now is only $5

[quote name='GrimmTrixX']ok maybe im just stupid or tired.. but how much do I have to throw in to get DETOUR AND Dead Linger (once its done)?[/QUOTE]

$25 as far as I can tell but honestly if you have that much to spend and really need a zombie sandbox game you're better off just getting Dead Island right now.

Also they've said that once they get the game to a polished alpha state (isn't that an oxymoron?) they will sell the alpha at a reduced price. Likely less than $25 and I can't see them selling an alpha of a game for more than that.

As for Detour, as Provis pointed out it's only $5 regular price and has been on sale as cheap as $1 before. It likely will go on sale during the Steam summer sale.

[quote name='iamsmart']So for $10 I get a $5 game and... they get an extra five bucks to do whatever the hell they want with?[/QUOTE]

And, uh, a good feeling for supporting a Kickstarter...or something.

The amount of money they asked for ($60,000) is not very much for such an ambitious project. The Kickstarters for point and click adventures have asked for way more than that.

Can we just ignore threads we aren't interested in? Is it really that hard to scroll past a line of text if you aren't interested in a deal? We need a subforum for complaints about deals people post now, because every thread gets shit on here lately.

That said back to the topic. this Kickstarter seems interesting but it also seems a bit ambitious for the goal. I'll have to think about it. I donated to some of the other ones, because I was confident that cam make the games(i.e. I know Brian Fargo can make wasteland 2). I'm not convinced these guys can pull off a good game of this scope with this amount of money. Will think about it. Thanks OP.

Sounds good, but I've seen too many zombie games with the same idea fail. The first one that comes to mind is Zulu (I think that's what it was)

updated op with link to the games website and the just released video of the night and day cycle.

I believe it will not be listed for anything less than that anytime during development. Also if you do back the game you get both. only point im trying to make here.... dont want to back you dont have to. Personally i wouldnt back at the $10 level when you can get the game on steam for $5, but its still a way to show support.

[quote name='Motoki']$25 as far as I can tell but honestly if you have that much to spend and really need a zombie sandbox game you're better off just getting Dead Island right now.

Also they've said that once they get the game to a polished alpha state (isn't that an oxymoron?) they will sell the alpha at a reduced price. Likely less than $25 and I can't see them selling an alpha of a game for more than that.

As for Detour, as Provis pointed out it's only $5 regular price and has been on sale as cheap as $1 before. It likely will go on sale during the Steam summer sale.[/QUOTE]

ahh ok ill save my money then. Detour didnt look that amazing to be honest anyway. Still wish i chipped in to Wasteland 2. missed it by 1 day. oh well i can wait til it releases

[quote name='GrimmTrixX']ahh ok ill save my money then. Detour didnt look that amazing to be honest anyway. Still wish i chipped in to Wasteland 2. missed it by 1 day. oh well i can wait til it releases[/QUOTE]

If you really want to you can still pre-order Wasteland 2 for $20 at this point.

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/store

Personally, I was on the fence about the Kickstarter and passed on it so I will wait and see until they are at least a bit further along with it.

[quote name='Os Money']i dont expect this game to be super polished like a 40 mil game. But not every awesome game has to be either.[/QUOTE]

There is a difference between not being polished and being completely unrealistic. They asked for $60,000. That would maybe pay one person's salary for a year. Maybe.

Either they have another source of funding which they haven't disclosed, they will take forever doing this because people, you know, need to eat and do things that pay the bills in the meantime or they are totally green and naeve and just don't realize how much it costs to make a fully 3D sandbox game.

It sounds harsh but I am just being realistic here. While they are not quite as bad as the Kitaru Kickstarter ($25K? Really guys?), as I said before point and click adventures are asking for a lot more. And mind you these point and click adventures are being made by people who have experience having made them before and know how much it costs.

Jane Jensen asked for 300K and that was called modest by the gaming press.

Look if someone wants to contribute to this project I am not going to tell you not to, I am just saying as far as I am concerned what they are claiming they want to make with the resources they are looking at is completely unrealistic so be aware of that before putting your money out there.

Maybe they will pull something off who knows? But I personally think this one is definitely in danger of going bust and unlike the Police Warfare Kickstarter that just got cancelled, this one did meet its (modest) goal and people's money will be taken when the Kickstarter period ends.

Once they take the money that's it. You don't get it back no matter what so I think people need to feel like they are really confident that the game will get made before they give their money. If someone really feels that way about this project then go for it.

bread's done
Back