(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='woodcan']Sorry for the noob question but what are these Amazon "Gold Box" game deals everyone is talking about that seem to be unique to the user. My gold box just shows the regular non-gaming deals and then when I click on the "gold box" link near the top it takes me to the same page. Any help?[/QUOTE]

Lower down on the Gold Box page, there is a section titled "'s Quick Picks" where there are a few deals each day, chosen based on previous purchases, viewed items, and several other factors.

[quote name='woodcan']Sorry for the noob question but what are these Amazon "Gold Box" game deals everyone is talking about that seem to be unique to the user. My gold box just shows the regular non-gaming deals and then when I click on the "gold box" link near the top it takes me to the same page. Any help?[/QUOTE]

The Gold Box has deals that show up for everyone at the top, a deal of the day then some "Lightning Deals" at regular intervals. Then below that, if you've ever bought anything from Amazon and you're signed in, there are "Quick Picks" that are personalized for you, always a 5% discount. You have to have made at least one purchase from Amazon to qualify for these personalized deals.

OMG. Seriously awesome. Beatles Rock Band for $100, basically. $125 off from the 50% off promotion, and then $25 off from the ECA. AWESOME!!!

[quote name='arcane93']Oddly, I don't even seem to have a Gold Box on my Amazon page today. :whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

I have something similar -- only two items today.

Wow, what a day for it to come back. I ordered (all from my Gold Box)
Persona PSP
Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time
Demon Souls Deluxe with Artbook

GenDV138, guessed, and rpnguyen thanks a bunch guys! I never realized those were discounted items and thought they were just regular priced suggestions!Unfortunately, my suggestions are non-game items and XBL point cards which I got a much better deal on eBay for :D

[quote name='prateeko']Wow, what a day for it to come back. I ordered (all from my Gold Box)
Persona PSP
Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time
Demon Souls Deluxe with Artbook[/QUOTE]

According to Amazon, you can only order 1 quick pick item per day. Did you get the quick pick discount on all 3?

[quote name='guessed']According to Amazon, you can only order 1 quick pick item per day. Did you get the quick pick discount on all 3?[/QUOTE]

Had the same question. My guess is he has more than one Amazon account. Otherwise, please share this black magic with us. :lol:

You can get all your items in gold box with discount if you add items to cart by right-clicking on "Add to cart" and "opening in new window" Then the items will be in your cart with the discount. Teh trick is to keep the gold box window open.

Picked up:
Mass Effect 2 - $48.44
God of War III - $48.44
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - $48.44
Dissidia Final Fantasy - $31.44
:)

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']You can get all your items in gold box with discount if you add items to cart by right-clicking on "Add to cart" and "opening in new window" Then the items will be in your cart with the discount. Teh trick is to keep the gold box window open.[/QUOTE]

NICE!! Will have to try that some day.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']You can get all your items in gold box with discount if you add items to cart by right-clicking on "Add to cart" and "opening in new window" Then the items will be in your cart with the discount. Teh trick is to keep the gold box window open.[/QUOTE]

My Gold Box has been majorly on the fritz lately, as even though the only items I buy and mark as usable for recommendations are games, I end up with stuff like weed whackers and water filters. Anyone encounter similar problems and know how to fix them?

[quote name='bvharris']My Gold Box has been majorly on the fritz lately, as even though the only items I buy and mark as usable for recommendations are games, I end up with stuff like weed whackers and water filters. Anyone encounter similar problems and know how to fix them?[/QUOTE]

Me too. All the crap that show's up in my Gold Box Quick Picks has nothing to do with games. I already fixed all "My Recommendations" so only games show up. Unfortunately day after day I still see garbage in my Quick Picks like crappy movies or soundtracks to Twilight! I use to see some games months ago but this was before I decided to try to rig it so I get games I wanted...guess it failed :bomb:

[quote name='bvharris']My Gold Box has been majorly on the fritz lately, as even though the only items I buy and mark as usable for recommendations are games, I end up with stuff like weed whackers and water filters. Anyone encounter similar problems and know how to fix them?[/QUOTE]

I have 100 percent the same thing happening to me. Have a water filter and some energy bar thing, WTF! I put one energy drink in the wish list, deleted it 3 days ago (was one day on my wish list), and I keep getting this shit. :bomb:

Must ... Have .... Patience ...

[quote name='Gamer SDP']Me too. All the crap that show's up in my Gold Box Quick Picks has nothing to do with games. I already fixed all "My Recommendations" so only games show up. Unfortunately day after day I still see garbage in my Quick Picks like crappy movies or soundtracks to Twilight! I use to see some games months ago but this was before I decided to try to rig it so I get games I wanted...guess it failed :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I get Twilight products all the time too. I sometimes feel like I'm on candid camera when I check it in the morning, but no one has popped out yet.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to remember that. I wonder if it works with multiples of the same item?

[quote name='guessed']Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to remember that. I wonder if it works with multiples of the same item?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but you have to make a separate order for each. You can have only 1 of each item with the gold box discount in your cart.

What happens when you pre-order a game? I have ECA, and Prime. I am looking at pre-ordering Modern Warfare 2. It comes up to $58.19 after discounts. When I checkout do I pay for it now, or when it ships? I am wanting to go ahead and preorder games that I know I am going to be getting since the ECA coupons are working again.

[quote name='guessed']According to Amazon, you can only order 1 quick pick item per day. Did you get the quick pick discount on all 3?[/QUOTE]

It's easy. You keep the original tab open and when you click the "Add to cart" link you do so in a new tab (control/Apple + click). This keeps the original Gold Box page open and allows you to add all or however many of your quick picks to your cart. After that I checked out like normal (since the new ECA code works on multiple items). Versus the retail it was 15% (5% QP + 10% ECA) off.

Not too shabby. And a really good Gold Box day for me. I expect the next week to be pure garbage :D

Cool Quick Picks tips... but should I be concerned that I haven't seen ANY Quick Picks on my Gold Box page for the last few days? Seems to roughly coincide with the multiple-code failure we experienced lately (when every code I tried failed), but I've (pre-)ordered from my Quick Picks before, so the multi-day drought is more than slightly discomfiting. Any ideas or related experiences?

I have The Last Guardian in my quick pick but code no worky

"The promotional code you entered cannot be applied to your purchase."

Worked fine for Demon's Souls deluxe though (That wasn't in the quick-pick)

Yea the code is not working. "We're sorry, but the promotional code you entered cannot be applied to this purchase. Please refer to your promotional coupon for information about item or store restrictions." on all video games I've tried so far.

Ah dammit... I didn't know that. I finally got 3 games I want in my Goldbox after 3 weeks of completely useless crap.

And just so you guys know how useless, here's a sample of some of the thing that showed up in my Goldbox: pet nail clippers, an electronic scarecrow (WTF??) and door knobs. I've never bought anything other than games from Amazon and most of my Goldbox for the past 3 weeks left me baffled.

[quote name='Vinny']
And just so you guys know how useless, here's a sample of some of the thing that showed up in my Goldbox: pet nail clippers, an electronic scarecrow (WTF??) and door knobs.[/QUOTE]

Buy a bunch and a sack. Oh, the hurt.

[quote name='Vinny']Ah dammit... I didn't know that. I finally got 3 games I want in my Goldbox after 3 weeks of completely useless crap.

And just so you guys know how useless, here's a sample of some of the thing that showed up in my Goldbox: pet nail clippers, an electronic scarecrow (WTF??) and door knobs. I've never bought anything other than games from Amazon and most of my Goldbox for the past 3 weeks left me baffled.[/QUOTE]

I've got the scarecrow in mine, too.

[quote name='Reverenddave']Glad the codes are back. Use one on Red Faction Guerrilla (360) for $36 shipped. But tried to place a pre-order for L4D2 and got declined.[/QUOTE]

Looks like you can only use it once a day. I found this out earlier today as well. It's noted in the thread somewhere. No biggie, for you and me as we were both doing pre-orders. Just try again tomorrow. I'm not sure if it's a 24-hour wait period or as long as it's a different day.

[quote name='esuarez27']I bought ratchet and clank's next game from my gold box with the eca code and it worked for me. I think the gold box item promo can only go to one item from your gold box. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

Ok... you can actually order everything from your gold box for gold box price in one day...

You have to open multiple tabs in your browser.... Just right click on today's deals and open it in different tabs as many times as items you want and click add to cart for one item from each tab.

Knew this worked for a while but since ECA is sup'dly applying to your whole cart I tried this with some blu-rays in my gold box today and if you do this but don't complete the purchase and then go to your cart from another tab all the multiple items are sitting in one cart with gold box prices.

[quote name='Vortextk']Gold box just randomly what you look at? What's in your cart? Any good way to get stuff in there?[/QUOTE]

shameless plug

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225022

it's not perfect cause seems like when I order a few things I then get about a week of stuff I've never looked at or bought.

and it works best if you clear everything else out but 2-3 items and clear your browsing history very often.

Both New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Metroid Prime Trilogy showed up in my gold box today! I used the trick to get the Gold Box discount on both of them, but Metroid Prime Trilogy wouldn't take the coupon. Has anyone brought up the issue of some codes not working on valid products to the ECA yet?

I think the codes not working on certain pre-orders is new. I've got about 8 games already pre-ordered and didn't have any problems. I just tried to pre-order a game in my gold box, Gran Turismo 5, and got the same error message as you guys. Disappointing but oh well, I figured there would start being hitches eventually...

I had New Super Mario Bros Wii in my gold box today, too. Have it pre-ordered for like $39.94 :)
..Really need to get MP Trilogy in there!!

[quote name='Afflicted']Ok... you can actually order everything from your gold box for gold box price in one day...

You have to open multiple tabs in your browser.... Just right click on today's deals and open it in different tabs as many times as items you want and click add to cart for one item from each tab.

Knew this worked for a while but since ECA is sup'dly applying to your whole cart I tried this with some blu-rays in my gold box today and if you do this but don't complete the purchase and then go to your cart from another tab all the multiple items are sitting in one cart with gold box prices.[/QUOTE]

I didn't have to use tabs, I just went back and it added just fine. Even when there's no price below the game. ;)

[quote name='Tracid']Does the 1 day thing reset at midnight or from the time you used the last code?[/QUOTE]

I would assume at midnight (PDT) since that's a new day for Amazon. I've just tried and it still does not work. I think someone was just assuming they'd work once per day.

And for the person asking if it works on arcade sticks, yes it does.

I really hope this batch of coupons is not restricted to only one use per promotion/batch. It sounds like the case since people would be able to use one code on the first order but not on subsequent orders.

Agreed that I think the once per day thing was an assumption, or else it's every 24 hours. New day, and it won't let me use the codes anymore. Maybe there is a limit of 1 code per account now?

i sent an email asking to apply a new code and they took $10 off a $69.99 preorder of deluxe demon's soul

"As you requested, I adjusted the price to reflect, $59.99 to apply $10.00 promotion to your order. This is the price you'll be charged when the order ships."

[quote name='Jinque']i sent an email asking to apply a new code and they took $10 off a $69.99 preorder of deluxe demon's soul

"As you requested, I adjusted the price to reflect, $59.99 to apply $10.00 promotion to your order. This is the price you'll be charged when the order ships."[/QUOTE]
I assumed you used a code earlier and couldn't use another code on Demon's Soul. Did you place the order first then email them with the actual code and have them applied it to your order?

[quote name='Fieri']I would assume at midnight (PDT) since that's a new day for Amazon. I've just tried and it still does not work. I think someone was just assuming they'd work once per day.

And for the person asking if it works on arcade sticks, yes it does.[/QUOTE]

I just tried to use a new code...it's 1:11AM PDT. It didn't work for me (pre-order or otherwise). I'll try again tomorrow night, which should be 24 hours since the last time I used a code.

P.S. I just checked and I used a code at 11AM yesterday so noon should be enough time to test it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back