(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone tried making a new order, and then combining that with the one frickin order you previously made that had the code successfully applied to it?

I don't know maybe im sounding like a dickhead but isnt this illegal for them to keep changing the terms like this?.. if i would have known it may have swayed my eca membership purchase.

[quote name='arcadecup']I don't know maybe im sounding like a dickhead but isnt this illegal for them to keep changing the terms like this?.. if i would have known it may have swayed my eca membership purchase.[/QUOTE]

Not it isn't illegal in any way, since the ECA states this are BONUSES to your subscription and are subject to change at any times. Sucks, I know but nothing you can do about it.

Just wait and see I guess. (I hate waiting)
Wanted Pikmin from the DotD, but not anymore, ECA is the deciding factor in a lot of my gaming Amazon purchases.

wild theory but could it be that the next code can't be used till the game is delivered?

Are they trying to knock out pre-orders from the code use?

[quote name='xycury']wild theory but could it be that the next code can't be used till the game is delivered?

Are they trying to knock out pre-orders from the code use?[/QUOTE]

Doubt it... I think somebody, either on Amazon's or ECA's side, screwed up and the codes that were delivered were one time per account.

I defended them before but now I'm just pissed... I missed 3 games yesterday and am going to miss Demon's Souls Deluxe today. I honestly figured that the problem would be fixed for sure this time but it's like they find a new way to screw up every time...:whistle2:?

[quote name='Vinny']Doubt it... I think somebody, either on Amazon's or ECA's side, screwed up and the codes that were delivered were one time per account. [/QUOTE]

Same, I honestly doubt this was done on purpose. I think it was just a miscommunication. Maybe they were trying to get a one time code use to link it to your account and someone misunderstood what the ECA wanted then just made it one time use. :lol:

I did what some others here did and cancelled the order I made with the code originally and made one massive order with pretty much everything I might be getting in the next few months to lock in two gold box games and a bunch of others before the prices go up.

[quote name='distgfx']Same, I honestly doubt this was done on purpose. I think it was just a miscommunication. Maybe they were trying to get a one time code use to link it to your account and someone misunderstood what the ECA wanted then just made it one time use. :lol:[/QUOTE]

actually this was what I was thinking too... prolly not a miscommunication as just amazon screwing up while trying to get it to be a one time per quarter use code. The fact that it now works on everything in your cart shows that they were attempting to change it and I don't think they would go with a one time use but could order 100 items with it that one time code. If they just wanted people to get one use out of it they would have left it with one item per code.

Think we'll see this fixed in the next week or so. Till then just make a few amazon accounts to order from :)

If you cancel your order and use the coupon for a massive order can you simply cancel the games you want from the massive order easily? You know, if you change your mind on some games before they release?

[quote name='emeraldgsl']If you cancel your order and use the coupon for a massive order can you simply cancel the games you want from the massive order easily? You know, if you change your mind on some games before they release?[/QUOTE]

That's basically what I'm doing.

I had Mana Khemia 2 down since it was in my gold box, but after hearing about the one time ECA coupon use, I said screw it and now have a bundle of games:

Demon soul's collectors (gold box + ECA)
FF13
Last Guardian
Heavy Rain
Tekken 6 wireless stick bundle ($15 off btw with ECA)
Persona psp
and something else... totaled round $60 off

I can cancel the games individually anytime I want, so what I'm trying is I made another new account and looked at those other games that I didn't get a gold box with. Now am trying to snag as many as possible with the gold box + ECA in one bundle then will cancel the ones in my original account that didn't receive the gold box.

Had SPM Wii pre-ordered with the code+GB a few days ago, but uncharted showed up in my goldbox today so I had to cancel my SPMWii pre-order to get Uncharted :cry:

[quote name='eastx']Okay, people after me have stated it, but to reiterate: the codes currently work once per Amazon account. You can't use a second code after you've used the first one. Hopefully it will be fixed next week.

My nickname is the word "East" followed by an X. It's pronounceable. Now, looking at your name, how would I say that? I thought maybe it was some initials put before a last name; it confuses me greatly.[/QUOTE]

You are right and thanks for the response :)

[quote name='mhnajjar']You are right and thanks for the response :)[/QUOTE]

I would say it mah-jar like hey that's mah jar of peanut butter.

My Goldbox had a lot of good stuff today. But yesterday had Uncharted 2, so stuck with that. I passed up:

LOZ: Spirit Tracks
God of War III
Scribblenauts
Ratchet & Clank Future - A Crack in Time
Metroid other M
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Mario & Luigi - Bowser's Inside Story

I really wish I had a ECA code today.

[quote name='oscargrouch']My Goldbox had a lot of good stuff today. But yesterday had Uncharted 2, so stuck with that. I passed up:

LOZ: Spirit Tracks
God of War III
Scribblenauts
Ratchet & Clank Future - A Crack in Time
Metroid other M
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Mario & Luigi - Bowser's Inside Story

I really wish I had a ECA code today.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing it'll be a while before this gets working about... I'm guessing The ECA is off duties on weekends so they won't learn about the issues until Monday. And then they'll start talking with Amazon about getting new codes... which will probably take another week.

I'm guessing that by the time they fix this, Goldbox will go back to being crap selections.

[quote name='Avryx']
I can cancel the games individually anytime I want, so what I'm trying is I made another new account and looked at those other games that I didn't get a gold box with. Now am trying to snag as many as possible with the gold box + ECA in one bundle then will cancel the ones in my original account that didn't receive the gold box.[/QUOTE]
Great idea! I may try that too if they don't fix this anytime soon.

i canceled my previous order of SE demon's souls and just ordered a whole batch of games including a gold box discounted DE demon's souls.

Well, I don't see anything wrong (other than the inconvenience) of making a new account since obviously something is screwy on their (ECA or Amazon) end. Still, I'd really like it if they could all just get together and fix this one way or another (be it multi use codes or linking accounts).

[quote name='sinned47']pretty much, im sure amazon wont want that and will answer our eca coupon problem[/QUOTE]

Or, they will completely can the coupons.

Today in my Amazon Gold Box - Super Mario Galaxy 2 & Golden Sun DS for a total savings of just over $4, sweet...lol.

Madden 10 is showing up with release-date delivery when I'm not signed in, but it's gone when I do sign in. Stupid.

Waiting for the deluxe edition of Demon's Souls to show up in my gold box before I bother cancelling my order and making a new one full of games.

Hopefully it's resolved, though (would rather my current order stand, but $10+ off the deluxe edition of Demon's Souls [eca + gold box] is something I'd rather not miss).

[quote name='sinned47']i canceled my previous order of SE demon's souls and just ordered a whole batch of games including a gold box discounted DE demon's souls.[/QUOTE]

Wait, so if you cancel the order which had the working code... the code will become valid again?

Did you have to reenter the code? I would love to cancel my old order and use the 10% on Demon's Souls CE instead since that's way more expensive. But I don't remember the code I used... if it's automatic, that would be great.

[quote name='Vinny']Wait, so if you cancel the order which had the working code... the code will become valid again?

Did you have to reenter the code? I would love to cancel my old order and use the 10% on Demon's Souls CE instead since that's way more expensive. But I don't remember the code I used... if it's automatic, that would be great.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to reenter it, once it's entered, it's linked to your account. So you can go ahead and cancel if you want and place another order. Obviously it only works for the one order you do keep though, lol.

[quote name='prateeko']Well, I don't see anything wrong (other than the inconvenience) of making a new account since obviously something is screwy on their (ECA or Amazon) end. Still, I'd really like it if they could all just get together and fix this one way or another (be it multi use codes or linking accounts).[/QUOTE]

Just watch out. Amazon has banned people before for having multiple accounts. They consider it a violation of their ToS. Of course, most of the reason people were creating multiple accounts was to get some discount or other multiple times which this would sort of fall into as well. Supposedly they nail all of the accounts for one address when it happens.

Definitely not worth creating accounts, manipulating the quick picks by ordering more than one, etc.

I use Amazon far too much to lose it over a few games.

[quote name='sinned47']i canceled my previous order of SE demon's souls and just ordered a whole batch of games including a gold box discounted DE demon's souls.[/QUOTE]

Wait, SE Demon's Souls showed up in your Gold Box, even though you already had SE Demon's Souls pre-ordered?

Just curious, cause my Gold Box has been crap for a good month now.

[quote name='shivaedge']
Just curious, cause my Gold Box has been crap for a good month now.[/QUOTE]

same thing with me, except today i got DE demon's souls and ratchet & clank a crack in time

I thought items don't show up in your Gold Box if you already own that item? (meaning you have that item ordered, pre-ordered, or you stated through recommendations that you owned it)

it does that sometimes. i had the SE demon's souls and the DE demon's souls came up today. this has happened a couple of times for me. im not sure how they come up. i would love to figure that out.

i would, too. after trying all the gold box manipulation techniques and advice for a month, i've come to the conclusion that amazon hates me and uses recommendations to get my hopes up for no reason lol

[quote name='henwy']Just watch out. Amazon has banned people before for having multiple accounts. They consider it a violation of their ToS. Of course, most of the reason people were creating multiple accounts was to get some discount or other multiple times which this would sort of fall into as well. Supposedly they nail all of the accounts for one address when it happens.[/QUOTE]

That's so awesome. It doesn't matter since Pikmin DotD sold out, but it's annoying that I cannot use the discount I signed up for because of perpetual missteps.

damn... i was not able to use the ECA discount today :( i put it in for mario galaxy 2 and new super mario bros.. and was DENIED!!!

I just want to make sure I'm reading this right.

So the 10% off coupon is now a one time only coupon instead of it being a coupon you could use all year?

i wont be going straight to amazon for games anymore that's for sure. Probably in everyone's interest to sit on it (so to speak) and wait to see if any CE worthy titles come our way.

[quote name='Warn3rv3']i wont be going straight to amazon for games anymore that's for sure. [/QUOTE]

Why? Their prices are 9 times out of 10 better than anyone else's before this discount.

ECA mentioned on Twitter that they have received reports of the problem, and people on Twitter should Direct message them with the exact error, so they can work with Amazon. I can't see the ECA forums from work, so I would guess there is something posted there too.

[quote name='oscargrouch']ECA mentioned on Twitter that they have received reports of the problem, and people on Twitter should Direct message them with the exact error, so they can work with Amazon. I can't see the ECA forums from work, so I would guess there is something posted there too.[/QUOTE]
No, nothing is posted on their forum yet.

Looks like someone is selling ECA Amazon Codes on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazon-com-Video-Game-Coupon-Code-Amazon_W0QQitemZ250441366462QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Gift_Certificates?hash=item3a4f77fbbe&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I don't know where else this seller (who has a user id referring to being a college student) would be getting the codes besides the ECA.

If this person's legit, sorry. I just don't think it's right if he/she is in-fact selling ECA codes.

[quote name='aaronmills']Looks like someone is selling ECA Amazon Codes on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazon-com-Video-Game-Coupon-Code-Amazon_W0QQitemZ250441366462QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Gift_Certificates?hash=item3a4f77fbbe&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I don't know where else this seller (who has a user id referring to being a college student) would be getting the codes besides the ECA.

If this person's legit, sorry. I just don't think it's right if he/she is in-fact selling ECA codes.[/QUOTE]

Well the codes will work too, since they are on different accounts, but can't wait till one of them buys 2!

Amazon needs to get their shit together... pretty shity to do this, without fully disclosing the codes.

Those of you who got the deluxe edition of Demoun's Souls DE in your quick picks, can you tell me why Amazon added it (to your recommendation list)? Thanks I have the standard edition, but not the deluxe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back