(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='prateeko']Well, I don't see anything wrong (other than the inconvenience) of making a new account since obviously something is screwy on their (ECA or Amazon) end. Still, I'd really like it if they could all just get together and fix this one way or another (be it multi use codes or linking accounts).[/QUOTE]

But new accounts don't get items in their gold box. You have to have a history to qualify, no?

[quote name='aaronmills']Looks like someone is selling ECA Amazon Codes on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazon-com-Video-Game-Coupon-Code-Amazon_W0QQitemZ250441366462QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Gift_Certificates?hash=item3a4f77fbbe&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I don't know where else this seller (who has a user id referring to being a college student) would be getting the codes besides the ECA.

If this person's legit, sorry. I just don't think it's right if he/she is in-fact selling ECA codes.[/QUOTE]

That is really lame.

I suggest that everyone buy his code and then submit a complain that it doesn't work.

It will:

1) be true
2) fuck him

if anyone else wants to spend $1.25 to protect these codes from aholes like this, please PM me.

**in order to verify that these are indeed ECA codes, we need someone who has already used theirs this week.

I've actually been afraid of finding games in my quick picks, since I don't have my 50% off coupon from the trade in yet. So far, my fears have been unfounded, since nothing resembling a game has shown up, in spite of everything on my recommendations page being videogames.

[quote name='oscargrouch']ECA mentioned on Twitter that they have received reports of the problem, and people on Twitter should Direct message them with the exact error, so they can work with Amazon. I can't see the ECA forums from work, so I would guess there is something posted there too.[/QUOTE]

Well that's encouraging at least.

ECA has not replied to the posts on their forums yet, so I emailed them. I just signed up for Twitter recently, but I don't think you can DM unless someone follows you. (I tried and it didn't work.)

I just found out about this error and man am I regretting using it on a $20 game last week. I had wanted to buy something for $100+ and now I'm stuck. Hope this is resolved soon. What a tease this discount has been the last few weeks.

[quote name='aaronmills']Looks like someone is selling ECA Amazon Codes on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazon-com-Video-Game-Coupon-Code-Amazon_W0QQitemZ250441366462QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Gift_Certificates?hash=item3a4f77fbbe&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I don't know where else this seller (who has a user id referring to being a college student) would be getting the codes besides the ECA.

If this person's legit, sorry. I just don't think it's right if he/she is in-fact selling ECA codes.[/QUOTE]

Looks like the item was removed.

Maybe the seller was a CAG? If so, you suck.

[quote name='confoosious']Looks like the item was removed.

Maybe the seller was a CAG? If so, you suck.[/QUOTE]

That's why Amazon needs to get their shit together. They need one code tied to the account. Once it's entered, then can't be used, and it's good for a year.

Glad it's gone.

And a response from ECA.......

Hello everyone,

Amazon.com and the ECA are both working very hard and fast to get the codes running again without a hitch.

Please hold tight and thanks everyone for you patience.

here is another direct from eca->

[FONT=&quot]"What you are doing is absolutely correct, currently there are some technical difficulties with our partner codes from Amazon.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Amazon is aware of the situation and they are working to rectify the issues for our members. Once it is resolved we will post an update to the site for continued use of the promotional codes."[/FONT]

I signed up for the ECA the other day go use it on my SFIV TE Stick so I am not too bummed at the moment because I ended up making a penny on the deal. I got the college discount price even though I am graduated (my email account still worked though ;)) and used it to get $15 off my item. Luckily I did not try to buy a lesser priced item then the TE stick ($150) or I would be pissed considering the only reason I signed up was for the 10% amazon discount (like everyone else). Hopefully it comes back to everyone else can get there money's worth.

[quote name='anubis20']WTF i have an amazon GC which i dont want to use yet, if I use my ECA I have to use my GC!!! fuck!!any way around this?[/QUOTE]

no, you don't have to use your GC.

just change your payment method on your order.

[quote name='confoosious']no, you don't have to use your GC.

just change your payment method on your order.[/QUOTE]

I think you're wrong. I couldn't use a gift card without using my ECA discount etc. They're the same payment method according to Amazon.

[quote name='Fieri']And a response from ECA.......[/QUOTE]

Sounds good to me. As long as they get it up and working again soon, I'm not going to get too bent out of shape about it. As long as it ends up saving me money in the long run, which it will, I'm fine with them ironing out the wrinkles.

[quote name='confoosious']no, you don't have to use your GC.

just change your payment method on your order.[/QUOTE]

When I change the payment method it takes away the discount, if I try to change the payment method before i put in the code it gives me an error

[quote name='WilliamG']I think you're wrong. I couldn't use a gift card without using my ECA discount etc. They're the same payment method according to Amazon.[/QUOTE]

When you're in your shopping cart, you see a thing for Promo right? That's where you put in your ECA discount code.

Now, if you have a GC balance, amazon will automatically default to that under payment methods.

But you can select another payment method.

It'll be under a page like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/buy/payselect/html

[quote name='confoosious']When you're in your shopping cart, you see a thing for Promo right? That's where you put in your ECA discount code.

Now, if you have a GC balance, amazon will automatically default to that under payment methods.

But you can select another payment method.

It'll be under a page like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/buy/payselect/html[/QUOTE]

Irrelevant. Gift cards and promo cards are lumped into 1 "sum". You have to use it all or nothing.

[quote name='anubis20']WTF i have an amazon GC which i dont want to use yet, if I use my ECA I have to use my GC!!! fuck!!any way around this?[/QUOTE]As stated, there's no way around this. Had the same thing occur to me in the past when I was trying to save up a GC.

Well, scratch that...this is a bit of a run around, but I suppose you can try this: Find an item for pre-order that uses up your GC and order it. Now order what you want with the ECA discount. Then go back and cancel your order that used up the GC. The amount will go back into your account.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']As stated, there's no way around this. Had the same thing occur to me in the past when I was trying to save up a GC.

Well, scratch that...this is a bit of a run around, but I suppose you can try this: Find an item for pre-order that uses up your GC and order it. Now order what you want with the ECA discount. Then go back and cancel your order that used up the GC. The amount will go back into your account.[/QUOTE]

Yep that's the way I get around it too :D

[quote name='SteveMcQ']As stated, there's no way around this. Had the same thing occur to me in the past when I was trying to save up a GC.

Well, scratch that...this is a bit of a run around, but I suppose you can try this: Find an item for pre-order that uses up your GC and order it. Now order what you want with the ECA discount. Then go back and cancel your order that used up the GC. The amount will go back into your account.[/QUOTE]

Damn didnt think about that, THANKS!!

[quote name='confoosious']Looks like the item was removed.

Maybe the seller was a CAG? If so, you suck.[/QUOTE]

I reported the listing to Ebay--you are not permitted to sell pure digital distribution items in a traditional auction or buy it now format. That being said, Ebay is community-policed, so it is only sometimes enforced... but a useful rule to remember when you see situations like this one ;)

So let me get this straight...To cash in on this deal, I should buy at least $150 worth of games by Sept 30? Do the ECA have similar coupons that crop up during the year? Also, can the coupon be used for games that are sold on the Marketplace rather than by Amazon.com?

[quote name='eastx']It's nice to know that you are a snitch through and through. I actually agree with you about not selling ECA codes, but I see a nasty pattern developing here.[/QUOTE]

What's the nasty pattern?

I think it's good that ebay won't allow this.

And uh "snitch through and through"? :roll: Who are you, Carmello Anthony?

[quote name='riskzero']Glad to see I'm not the only one! Any eta on this getting resolved? I'd like to make some more preorders :)[/QUOTE]

Usually takes them a week to fix

[quote name='doodofdoods']On the plus side when these start working right again we'll be able to make orders with more than one game in our cart.[/QUOTE]

What would be really nice is if they actually made a code which stays with your account until your ECA membership expires rather than having to enter a new code with each order.

[quote name='confoosious']What's the nasty pattern?

I think it's good that ebay won't allow this.

And uh "snitch through and through"? :roll: Who are you, Carmello Anthony?[/QUOTE]

He is responsible for getting the last ECA thread killed. Hence, a pattern of tattling on things that he disagrees with. And like I said, I agree that Ebay shouldn't allow ECA codes to be sold. I strongly disagree with their policy against selling all digital codes though.

Edit: I don't know how I got him mixed up with that other guy. Please ignore everything that I said.

[quote name='eastx']He is responsible for getting the last ECA thread killed. Hence, a pattern of tattling on things that he disagrees with. And like I said, I agree that Ebay shouldn't allow ECA codes to be sold. I strongly disagree with their policy against selling all digital codes though.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what the hell you are talking about in regards to being "responsible for getting the last ECA thread killed," and I certainly do not appreciate your underhanded comments. At best, you've shown yourself to possess a poor memory... and, at worst, shown yourself to be one with few inhibitions about libel.

Hm, I noticed there was an earlier thread in March about the ECA codes and people complained about this same problem with one-time codes. It seems they've had four months to fix the problem, but haven't...

[quote name='wampa8jedi']I have no idea what the hell you are talking about in regards to being "responsible for getting the last ECA thread killed," and I certainly do not appreciate your underhanded comments. At best, you've shown yourself to possess a poor memory... and, at worst, shown yourself to be one with few inhibitions about libel.[/QUOTE]

Go ahead and sue him for libel, dork. I'll rep him pro bono and get you sanctioned for filing a frivolous pleading.

The reason the last thread got closed was due to the Mods noticing people fighting about stupid things. Let's just keep the discussion to the ECA codes everyone.

[quote name='JCDenton']Go ahead and sue him for libel, dork. I'll rep him pro bono and get you sanctioned for filing a frivolous pleading.[/QUOTE]

Did I ever claim it was actionable or suit-worthy libel? Reading comprehension, FTL.

[quote name='emeraldgsl']The reason the last thread got closed was due to the Mods noticing people fighting about stupid things. Let's just keep the discussion to the ECA codes everyone.[/QUOTE]

Awww.... ok :(

Edit: On that note, all things considered, the problems with the ECA would be so much worse if they were not so communicative. They really do seem to do their best to keep people updated, and that's worth its weight in gold, IMO.

[quote name='tossin']So let me get this straight...To cash in on this deal, I should buy at least $150 worth of games by Sept 30? Do the ECA have similar coupons that crop up during the year? Also, can the coupon be used for games that are sold on the Marketplace rather than by Amazon.com?[/QUOTE]
No, you can use the codes (if they aren't expired) throughout your membership year. So, if Amazon decides to make the codes expire every month, 3 months, or whenever, as long as you are still within your membership year at the ECA you can go get a code and use it.

Also no to buying stuff from third party sellers. It must be sold by Amazon.com LLC or whatever Amazon uses on the billing info.

[quote name='eastx']He is responsible for getting the last ECA thread killed. Hence, a pattern of tattling on things that he disagrees with. And like I said, I agree that Ebay shouldn't allow ECA codes to be sold. I strongly disagree with their policy against selling all digital codes though.[/QUOTE]

I think you mean this guy

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6054435&postcount=1236

Anyways, I'm not even looking at my Gold Box.... because I'm not buying anything without ECA.

[quote name='Fieri']And a response from ECA.......[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I think their response is adequate. This whole expire at the end of September thing wasn't an accident, they should at least explain that change/"enhancement" because that isn't a "glitch".

Just thought I'd let you guys know; it seems Amazon has decided to not allow the ECA code to work on the Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition. A friend of mine was able to order his this morning with the discount and when I tried it a few minutes later I get this message:
We're sorry, but the promotional code you entered cannot be applied to this purchase. Please refer to your promotional coupon for information about item or store restrictions.
Amazon seems to be pulling some real shady shit with these codes.Perhaps I'm jumping the gun...perhaps...

[quote name='Vader582']Just thought I'd let you guys know; it seems Amazon has decided to not allow the ECA code to work on the Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition. A friend of mine was able to order his this morning with the discount and when I tried it a few minutes later I get this message:
We're sorry, but the promotional code you entered cannot be applied to this purchase. Please refer to your promotional coupon for information about item or store restrictions.
Amazon seems to be pulling some real shady shit with these codes.[/QUOTE]
It sounds like you've already used your 1 code, not what you are suggesting.

[quote name='Lucian']It sounds like you've already used your 1 code, not what you are suggesting.[/QUOTE]The thing is I haven't ordered any games since the last batch of codes. Would it still count those codes?

I hope other people will have success getting the Prestige Set and the discount. Please post if you do.

[quote name='Vader582']The thing is I haven't ordered any games since the last batch of codes. Would it still count those codes?[/QUOTE]
Wow. Weird. Who knows anymore. This is getting so messy. They really just need to tie the promotion to an Amazon account and everyone's life will be made easier.

The error message you listed is the same one everyone else is getting, too, though.

[quote name='Vader582']The thing is I haven't ordered any games since the last batch of codes. Would it still count those codes?[/QUOTE]

Don't know if it counts any codes previous to the new batch.

After the July 1st debacle ECA had, once the codes came back, they were one time use only, so everybody has been getting this same error message you had with the ECA codes after they use it for the 1st time, but if you haven't used the codes in more than a month, you 1st ECA code should work, unless Amazon eliminated those altogether to come up with a better solution.

[quote name='Vader582']The thing is I haven't ordered any games since the last batch of codes. Would it still count those codes?

I hope other people will have success getting the Prestige Set and the discount. Please post if you do.[/QUOTE]

Did you generate a brand new code? When the new batch became available, I logged in and noticed that the ECA site defaulted to showing me the last code I saw from the previous, defunct batch. Those are long expired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back