(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blueweltall']If you preorder something with the ECA coupon and the price go down will it automatically adjust to the lower price with the ECA coupon apply to it?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you get the lower price and it recalculates the 10% discount off the new price.

I think it is time for something of this sort in the OP

ECA FAQ

I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/10/the-gold-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. ALso, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

Fell free to add more and post this in the OP if found useful.

I finally decided to sign up today after all the problems were taken care of. I just ordered some games and the discount paid for the membership already.

[quote name='mhnajjar']If you return an item that you purchased using the ECA, would you be able to use that coupon again? I am just curious LOL![/QUOTE]
No.

You may get your coupon back in your account only if you cancel your order before it ships and the coupon has not expired at the time of your order cancellation.

I have a question. So I used my Student email account but I hardly use it and dont want any unnecessary mail to be sent there. Will they charge me if i changed my email in my user settings to my regular one?

[quote name='jacknicklson']I think it is time for something of this sort in the OP

ECA FAQ

I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

Will this work on consoles?

Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/10/the-gold-box-trick/

Does this work on Pre-orders?

I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. ALso, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

Fell free to add more and post this in the OP if found useful.[/QUOTE]

I agree. It would have been nice to know that the billing took place separate from the initial sign up. I thought I had signed up through the wrong link for a while until I got that second confirmation email.

[quote name='JokerCard']I have a question. So I used my Student email account but I hardly use it and dont want any unnecessary mail to be sent there. Will they charge me if i changed my email in my user settings to my regular one?[/QUOTE]
That's exactly the situation I was in and I was not charged when I changed emails, I don't know what their policy is on renewal however, but I figured that was a "cross that bridge when I get to it" thing

I don't even check my school email. I just have it all forwarded to my gmail account and then I just delete everything from the school inbox.

[quote name='mhnajjar']If you return an item that you purchased using the ECA, would you be able to use that coupon again? I am just curious LOL![/QUOTE]

You get infinite coupons (unless they run out). So it doesn't really matter.

Used codes on an order of Infamous (on sale for $44.99, minus gold box and ECA came out to about $38) and a preorder for the Demon's Souls limited edition.

I just signed up last night and me likey! I ordered Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 last night and the codes basically cancel out the tax for my on orders. :) I have amazon prime and i buy all my games from amazon now so I'm happy as pop tarts! :cool:

Yeaaarrghhhhhhh! My goldbox updated...if you can CALL that an update. WHAT IS THIS? Replacement electric toothbrush heads, crest white stripes, replacement gillette razor blades, baby wipes and the coup de grace, FERTILITY MONITOR TEST STICKS. Someone bashing my hygiene over the internet? Come on, I take care of everything pretty well, and if those fertility sticks ever say I'm ovulating, well, lets just say I'd be freaking rich beyond my wildest dreams for a scientific miracle.

I was so happy upon learning about the goldbox(I don't use amazon extensively, atleast I didn't), but it's disappointed me nearly every single update. How I loathe it.

Its based off your browsing history, buying history, and things related to that, for the most part. Stop looking up hygiene stuff!

I know what it's based off, I have 6 games and watchmen blu-ray in my browsing history. I'm just randomly looking at a couple of ps3 games, then the games associated with demon's souls and watchmen because I wanted to see the price. And it's definitely not working off my buying history right now either =/, it's all games and cables and crap, atleast for the last like year or two.

I have Uncharted 2, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Mana Khemia 2, and Demon Souls in my goldbox today. I bought all of them with the ECA discount and have free prime 2-day shipping. I love Amazon even more with this ECA discount! Woot!

[quote name='Justin42']HA! I have Angel's Eyes Tear Stain Eliminator for Dogs in my gold box, you're all suckers buying games!![/QUOTE]

I'll trade you one fertility monitor!

I have 3 albums in my Goldbox... none of which interest me in the least bit (Whitney Houston, some Opera CD, and a MJ CD). I'm not expecting any good games (or any games, for that matter) anymore since ECA is back. I'm almost 100% sure now that Amazon is doing this on purpose.

man i've only gotten games on mine. just preordered ffxiiiversus and the last guardian. im trying to preorder anything that i have any interest in. the list is now at about 15 games. just trying to get modern warfare 2 for the pc and starcraft back in my gold box and i should be set for the next two years.

Has anybody used the ECA codes with the last trade-in coupon at Amazon for 50% off a game or accessory? Because that would be bad ass ,they would stack up to 60% off.

[quote name='drftwrx']Has anybody used the ECA codes with the last trade-in coupon at Amazon for 50% off a game or accessory? Because that would be bad ass ,they would stack up to 60% off.[/QUOTE]

Yes. That's what most people are doing.

[quote name='Nintendokid54']So if i sign up(student) do they just give you like a membership code to always use or are they one time use codes?[/QUOTE]

Inside of your account, you have to go into the benefits section.

From there, you can access a code. If the code is already claimed by another person, then you can click a button to generate a new one. The codes are not tied to your account. They are allocated from a pool of codes on ECA's servers.

[quote name='opportunity777']Inside of your account, you have to go into the benefits section.

From there, you can access a code. If the code is already claimed by another person, then you can click a button to generate a new one. The codes are not tied to your account. They are allocated from a pool of codes on ECA's servers.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info...

Just combined 50% off with ECA and Gold Box discount.. looks like I'm getting the Tekken bundle for $52.49. :D

Totally worth the $15 price of admission.

[quote name='GuardianE']Yes. That's what most people are doing.[/QUOTE]

Sweet. So signing up for an ECA account!

I think the last code in your account IS stuck to your account-- I've never had the code sitting in my account have an issue with being used or whatever...

They're allocated to you from a pool, yes, but once it's allocated it's yours.

Just noticed that this new batch of codes works on orders with multiple eligible items. No more one item orders for me!!!

[quote name='jacknicklson']Only works on physical items, no download games[/QUOTE]

Fortunately, Microsoft Points cards count. Just wish I didn't have to bother with the shipping wait.

So honestly, how worth it is it to sign-up for this, at least just to use towards Amazon purchases? I only plan on making 2, 3 at the most gaming purchases by the end of the year, would it be worth it?

Do the math. Do you have a .edu or .mil e-mail address? 15$ if you do, 20$ if you don't. If you plan on spending more than 150(200, depending on sign up cost) then yes, it's worth it.

And a couple questions to anyone that uses their goldbox extensively. Do you rate items? Or do you just browse? How many items are in your history, a small amount looking for things you really want? Or a ton across different genres and consoles looking for any upcoming games? My goldbox shafted me again, two versions of windows, some kind of chews, printer paper, and some beer tube thing.

So I have a story for you guys.

I'm student at a community college and we don't receive student email addresses naturally (I guess). So when I went to sign up for the ECA I told them my situation and they said "No can do! :whistle2:( But we'll send you a goodie bag." I'm like, "That's fine," and I sign-up for the regular price anyway.

I got the goodie bag today. And yeah, it's GOOD alright.

- Two bottles of Mana Energy Potion
-ECA Button
-ECA Drawstring Bag
-ECA T-Shirt
-Two Guitar Hero Keychains
-An Intec PSP case (I already have a PSP case though :whistle2:/)

*drum roll please*

MIDNIGHT CLUB LOS ANGELES FOR THE PS3

That's right. They sent me a PS3 game. I don't even own a PS3 and NO YOU CAN'T HAVE IT. Waiting on a price drop and a white console.

I may not keep this up her for more than 12 hours. I don't want you guys haggling ECA because they were nice to me.

Yeah my community college didn't have edu addresses either. Pretty cool goodie bag though, I'd take that over the saved 5 bucks =P

WOW! I just posted yesterday that I had Uncharted 2, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Mana Khemia 2, and Demon Souls in my goldbox and bought those with ECA discount. Now today I have New Super Mario Bros Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2, God of War III, Metroid Other M, Arc Rise Fantasia Wii, and Conduit in my Goldbox. I know I will order SMG2, New SMB, and GOW3 (as if you couldnt tell by my avatar), but is there anything else that is good? This ECA discount on top of Goldbox and standard daily discounts on some games is really making me buy more games than usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back