(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
well screw my goldbox. Just using my 50% + eca on demon's souls, maybe I'll actually get a game to appear sometime then.

Labeling tape, a dremel, some other kind of electric tool, book on metabolism, 2 water filters and gel pens.

[quote name='Tomeeboy']Make sure you're logged in, as it will be empty if you aren't :D[/QUOTE]

Hahah, thought of that. Nope. It's empty and I'm logged in.

:lol: - I just got the $100 Beatles Rock Band stand-alone guitars (John Lennon's and George Harrison's) in my Gold Box: $95 after discount. Even with ECA and 50% off coupon (which I have one of), though, I still think they are overpriced (especially considering that I have plenty of wireless guitars).

I win, this thing is in mine -- Jet JW1038 4-Inch Quick Disconnect with Smooth End.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII is the only thing worth it in there today, but I'd rather pre-order FFXIII. Yesterday I got Golden Sun DS.

Just got 2 of the last 50% coupon today (so I'm 8 for 8 and have 1 returned disc so far). I tried using it on a different account and it didn't work, so I guess the 50% is linked somehow.

Got 5 DSi (Got an extra 50 during the glitch), RB Beatles LE, SF4 TE, Tekken 6 LE, COD Prestige. ECA is a must if you're planning to buy games. I already save $70 from $15 initial investment.

I'm just gonna participate in 1 $30 promo, since I'm running out of GS credit and this Amazon promo is actually almost the same as GS tiered trade promo.

Finally...ECA gave me a check out page. Signed up for ECA and Amazon Prime, which I've been meaning to do forever any ways. Free release date shipping on select games was enough to finally push me over since I'll be doing the majority of my game buying from Amazon now. Free 2-day on everything else helps out too.

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']Amazon thinks I'm a bookworm apparently, because for the past 3 days my deals are all on books/textbooks :([/QUOTE]

I went through yesterday and attempted to load it so my selections would be video games I wanted and instead I have Persona PSP and a bunch of books.

My Goldbox Quick Picks have been ON FIRE lately. I made a couple pre-orders and my picks have been awesome lately.

Heavy Rain
Mana Khemia 2: Fall Of Alchemy
Nostalgia
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
The Last Guardian
Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga
Crackdown 2
Metal Gear Solid Rising
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Metroid Other M
New Super Mario Bros.
Halo Reach
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
Halo 3: ODST

Put some pre-orders in, even if you cancel the orders later it will help Amazon's system choose what goes into your Quick Picks.

My gold box recommended a blood pressure monitor and I might bite. God knows I'm going to need it with all these fucking Wii and DS recommendations!

[quote name='Jodou']My gold box recommended a blood pressure monitor and I might bite.[/QUOTE]

You're like the 5th person including me to mention this in your goldbox in the past week. It has to be some kind of advertisement or fault with the recommendations system.

[quote name='Vortextk']You're like the 5th person including me to mention this in your goldbox in the past week. It has to be some kind of advertisement or fault with the recommendations system.[/QUOTE]

I think amazon has things weighted for possibility to be in gold boxes.

Some games I've had in there 4-5 times in last couple months others that I've been trying to get are very very rare. And I've noticed that a lot of people seem to get the same random stuff around the same time. Like when Michael Jackson died, a lot of people got some of his albums in their goldbox when they've never looked at any or bought anything that could be related.

So I'm betting that they have a list of things that have high probability of making people's lists and probably the chance drops with items that are being ordered/preordered a lot.

Also I've noticed that when I order/preorder a few games from my goldbox in a week or so that my goldbox starts having things other than games for a few days. Kinda like they are throttling.

I finally checked out on ECA. Took advantage the discount too. haha. On a second note, what is this 50% discount code people kept mentioning and how do I get one?

[quote name='Lazie133']I finally checked out on ECA. Took advantage the discount too. haha. On a second note, what is this 50% discount code people kept mentioning and how do I get one?[/QUOTE]

It was the previous Amazon trade-in promo: trade in $50 worth of games and get the credit + a 50% off coupon for any game items at Amazon. I used it to get Rock Band Beatles SE half off ;).

The current promo is decent but not nearly as good: trade $60 worth of games and get a $30 off coupon (plus the credit of course).

If it were not for the Amazon trade-in promos I would never have bothered with this ECA discount thing as I really haven't bought many games from Amazon. I usually avoid retail prices (even 5 or 10% off) except at GS where I can use my cheap credit. The Amazon trade-in promo is allowing me to transfer credit over from GS, effectively. So now I'll be shifting my purchases there when possible especially if I can get all the stars lined up (gold box discount + trade-in promo coupon code + ECA discount).

I seem to be getting 2 and exactly 2 video game items per day now. The other 7 or 8 things are always breastfeeding/child raising books or childrens picture books (lot of Max & Ruby for example). That's because my wife ordered some of that stuff on my account (before she set up her own) like 2-3 years ago. I haven't bought much else since then except games.

[quote name='Afflicted']I think amazon has things weighted for possibility to be in gold boxes.

Some games I've had in there 4-5 times in last couple months others that I've been trying to get are very very rare. And I've noticed that a lot of people seem to get the same random stuff around the same time. Like when Michael Jackson died, a lot of people got some of his albums in their goldbox when they've never looked at any or bought anything that could be related.

So I'm betting that they have a list of things that have high probability of making people's lists and probably the chance drops with items that are being ordered/preordered a lot.

Also I've noticed that when I order/preorder a few games from my goldbox in a week or so that my goldbox starts having things other than games for a few days. Kinda like they are throttling.[/QUOTE]
It works just like loot in RPG's TBH: there's always the common trash items that Amazon pulls from their 'loot table' and then there's the rare items based on your recommendations. I want some epics dammit!

nice, got Halo ODST in my gold box so I went ahead and pre-ordered it for $50.99 plus I get the $10 back to my account after it ships.. release date delivery as well yay. I sold Halo 3 two weeks after it released but my friends are still playing so maybe I'll try it again now that I get all the MP maps hahah

quick question, the op states that the code expires at 9/30, so does that mean no more codes after that date, or do we just wait for them to get a whole new batch of codes?

[quote name='backseatdog']quick question, the op states that the code expires at 9/30, so does that mean no more codes after that date, or do we just wait for them to get a whole new batch of codes?[/QUOTE]
we wait for a new batch.

[quote name='aznguyen316']nice, got Halo ODST in my gold box so I went ahead and pre-ordered it for $50.99 plus I get the $10 back to my account after it ships.. release date delivery as well yay. I sold Halo 3 two weeks after it released but my friends are still playing so maybe I'll try it again now that I get all the MP maps hahah[/QUOTE]
After a string of bad picks I just ODST in my GB as well. Sweet!

[quote name='io']:lol: - I just got the $100 Beatles Rock Band stand-alone guitars (John Lennon's and George Harrison's) in my Gold Box: $95 after discount. Even with ECA and 50% off coupon (which I have one of), though, I still think they are overpriced (especially considering that I have plenty of wireless guitars).[/QUOTE]

So does this mean it's possible to get the entire beetles rock band set in your goldbox?

After Uncharted 2 showed in my Gold Box it's been almost non-stop games. Too bad nothing I really want :p.

Yesterday I got:
FF Versis XIII
Punch-Out!!

Today I hit the motherload , but...I have no $ to order them and they're not high on my list:
-GoW3
-Scribblenauts
-MAG
-SMG2
-Demon Souls CE

ok so in regards to my goldbox, i've turned off my browsing history, and made it so my recommendations consist of 10 different xbox related games/accessories (mostly pre orders)..but still nothing even game related..is there anything else i can do to try and trick the system better?

I used the ECA discount in ordering an Ion Drum Rocker to save $29. I'm so glad ECA started offering these membership incentives.

[quote name='y2jasper']ok so in regards to my goldbox, i've turned off my browsing history, and made it so my recommendations consist of 10 different xbox related games/accessories (mostly pre orders)..but still nothing even game related..is there anything else i can do to try and trick the system better?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, make sure everything 'based on the items you own' is rated for stuff that will help and check 'don't use for recommendations' for crap that won't.

yeah, i've been getting alot of ps3 games the last 2 days. nothing I want, but still nice to see something other than textbooks and chimney starters (what is that even)

I wish I want more wii games as wii sports resort and a wii charger was in one of my gold boxes.

But ECA is amazing, paid $15, got $15 back on my first purchase for a TE stick.

I swear, nothing I do gets me anything even close to what I want. More damn books and worthless crap. To date all I've seen is two DS games and some garbage Wii peripherals. :\

[quote name='Jodou']I swear, nothing I do gets me anything even close to what I want. More damn books and worthless crap. To date all I've seen is two DS games and some garbage Wii peripherals. :\[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm done with the goldbox. If ordering another game or two gets it working, great, if not...whatever. We're pretty much even. I saw mario kart, a few ds games, FF dissidia once(couldn't care less), some wii plastic crap and nothing else for like...three weeks now. One week of that is using two different amazon accounts. Gone through and rated games, got rid of crap I don't want in there, added games I don't want but are similar to my wish list, added stuff to my cart, browsed....nothing, nadda, zilch.

[quote name='Shinoto']How do you get the Student discount? I can't seem to find it[/QUOTE]

If you use a .edu address, it should say somewhere(very next page maybe? I forget) that you'll be paying 14.99. It doesn't give you an "option" other than what you enter as an e-mail address.

Figured that out, But my school changed their's and I still haven't gone to get my new one :hot:

So I entered in just my normal one... Still saved 1$ more then not having it at all

So I'm really fucking confused. I made an account, used my .edu email, filled out the stuff, waited for confirmation email, got a confirm newsletter thing, logged in, and if I try to goto member page it says i need to log in or something. If that isn't weird enough, nowhere did it ask me to pay. What am I doing wrong?! lol

EDIT: My only guess is that the confirmation email I got wasn't the one for validation, but that still confuses me more!

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']So I'm really fucking confused. I made an account, used my .edu email, filled out the stuff, waited for confirmation email, got a confirm newsletter thing, logged in, and if I try to goto member page it says i need to log in or something. If that isn't weird enough, nowhere did it ask me to pay. What am I doing wrong?! lol

EDIT: My only guess is that the confirmation email I got wasn't the one for validation, but that still confuses me more![/QUOTE]

Check your Spam box EarthBound, you'll probably have an email from them there. It's a 2nd confirmation of your email. Once you copy and paste the url into your browser, you'll be at the confirm ECA order page.

[quote name='StarDuster']Check your Spam box EarthBound, you'll probably have an email from them there. It's a 2nd confirmation of your email. Once you copy and paste the url into your browser, you'll be at the confirm ECA order page.[/QUOTE]

Been checking my spam, nothing other than the newsletter confirmation and the follow up for that.

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']Been checking my spam, nothing other than the newsletter confirmation and the follow up for that.[/QUOTE]

Well, you should have gotten 2 emails from them as soon as you signed up. The 1st one has a url that you must copy and paste into your browser to complete the purchase. The 2nd email has a clickable link to confirm your newsletter subscription.

When I signed up, I did the same thing as you -- wondered why I wasn't asked for any payment info. A quick check of the spam folder showed me that I had missed the first email from them which had that url in it.

[quote name='StarDuster']Well, you should have gotten 2 emails from them as soon as you signed up. The 1st one has a url that you must copy and paste into your browser to complete the purchase. The 2nd email has a clickable link to confirm your newsletter subscription.

When I signed up, I did the same thing as you -- wondered why I wasn't asked for any payment info. A quick check of the spam folder showed me that I had missed the first email from them which had that url in it.[/QUOTE]

Ya, I got the newsletter, but not other email. I have tried everything, turned on/off my edu spam filter, had my emails forwarded.

I finally got the email, but after I tried changing to my normal non edu email. But I dont wanna pay 20, thats why I was using my student email! I hate this! lol

Since I don't know what happens when I confirm, is it possible to send the confirm to my gmail, and then change my email in the ECA to my edu to get the student discount? Cause so far I have had no luck, tried everything, and I have not been able to receive the confirmation email on my edu account.

Did my first order with the ECA discount and got Wii Sports Resort for $40.04. Actually, it didn't technically cost me anything because I cashed in my spare change jar for an Amazon gift certificate.

Sorry if this was asked and detailed previously (if so could someone maybe tell me what post #?) - but how do you get your daily picks to be catered to what you want? I often buy qwirky / funny books from amazon, but they're usually used and cheap ($4 shipped for a quick read with some laughs sounds like a deal to me :p) so alot of my daily picks are books like that.. Problem is I don't want to pay amazon's $15 retail price when I can get it used for a penny :D I want more video games to be showing up, but they are a rarity for me.

(I noticed the post on the last page which hinted at this stuff, but I really wasn't sure what needed to be done).

Any help would be really appreciated :D Because if my picks started showing more games, I'd really be inclined to sign up for ECA.

[quote name='spoo']I was browsing Ebay and I saw some of these coupons for sale on there. Anyway to report these saleres to the ECA?[/QUOTE]
Report the listings to eBay. They are not allowed because it is a digital item and cannot be sold. The listing will be removed.

For anybody else that wants to report the listings...

Scumbag #1
Scumbag #2

[quote name='no_exit']Report the listings to eBay. They are not allowed because it is a digital item and cannot be sold. The listing will be removed.

For anybody else that wants to report the listings...

Scumbag #1
Scumbag #2[/QUOTE]

Reported :)

[quote name='Sniperman']pretty sure you can sell digital items, if anything maybe you guys should contact eca and let them handle it.[/QUOTE]

Yes I would do that instead. People sell gift cards/codes/coupons/random digital garbage all the time on eBay. The ECA would do better to know about this, they can determine who owns said accounts based on the code alone and deal with it how they see fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back