(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='no_exit']Report the listings to eBay. They are not allowed because it is a digital item and cannot be sold. The listing will be removed.

For anybody else that wants to report the listings...

Scumbag #1
Scumbag #2[/QUOTE]

Good work guys, both have already been removed :applause:

[quote name='Sniperman']pretty sure you can sell digital items, if anything maybe you guys should contact eca and let them handle it.[/QUOTE]
I should have been a bit more clear. Digital items can be listed only under very strict guidelines. The way the listings were, they were against eBay policy:

We consider digitally delivered goods to be information or content that people download from a website or receive by email. You can advertise most digital delivered items on eBay as long as you meet all of these requirements:

• You need to list your items using only the Classified Ad format.
  • You need to list your items only in the Everything Else > Information Products category.
  • Your listing has to clearly state that you legally own the information (sometimes called intellectual property) or you've been authorized to sell it.

[quote name='spoo']I was browsing Ebay and I saw some of these coupons for sale on there. Anyway to report these saleres to the ECA?[/QUOTE]

Good job reporting these asshats, too bad I butchered the English language to get it done. 8-[

[quote name='Lock1454']Sorry if this was asked and detailed previously (if so could someone maybe tell me what post #?) - but how do you get your daily picks to be catered to what you want? I often buy qwirky / funny books from amazon, but they're usually used and cheap ($4 shipped for a quick read with some laughs sounds like a deal to me :p) so alot of my daily picks are books like that.. Problem is I don't want to pay amazon's $15 retail price when I can get it used for a penny :D I want more video games to be showing up, but they are a rarity for me.

(I noticed the post on the last page which hinted at this stuff, but I really wasn't sure what needed to be done).

Any help would be really appreciated :D Because if my picks started showing more games, I'd really be inclined to sign up for ECA.[/QUOTE]

The strategy I'm trying is from another post early in the board -- but I'll quote the goodies:

[quote name='Afflicted']
- click the "improve your recommendations" link near the top of the page
- flag everything as "don't use for recommendations"
- now search for the item that you want to purchase
- most items on amazon have a Frequently Bought Together section usually the item you want and 2 others.
- now go to the item pages of the other 2 items that amazon thinks are bought together and down near the bottom of their pages click that you own and rate them 5 stars.
- go back and check your recommendations (might take 10-15 mins to update) and the item you want should be near the top of the list.
- now you just have to wait... but it should be on your gold box quick picks within a week.

[/QUOTE]

Now, I added my own steps after this. -- Just so I can better manipulate what my recommended titles were. I have no idea if this will help at all, but here's what I did anyway.

Extra Steps for every item on your recommendations list that you do not want:
- Clear your shopping cart
- Clear your wishlist
- Clear your amazon browsing history
- Go into the "Recommended For You" tab after clicking on the "Recommendations" link before your username
- Click the "Fix This" link in the line of text telling you why an item was recomended
- In the pop-up box, put a check mark in the "Not Interested" box and close the pop-up.
- Repeat above 2 steps for every item you do not want so that your recommendations list can be filled with only items that you want.

To test this out, I made sure I have the following in my recommendations box:
Mass Effect 2
Demon Souls Deluxe Edition
Dragon Age Origins: Collectors Edition
The Last Remnant

We'll see how the next few days treat my Daily Gold Box deals. *crosses fingers*

I've had nothing but like 6 ps3 games in my recommendations for 2 weeks, hope you have better luck than I do(I saw uncharted 2 once, before I even really took over my recommendations too =/)

After weeks of nothing good in my goldbox, I suddenly got the jackpot today. Scribblenauts, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Zelda: ST, Prof Layton & the Diabolical Box, and M&L Bowser's Inside Story (all preorders of course) all showed up today. I'll keep an eye on prices for these over time of course since a few of them are full MSRP as the base price, but a total of 15% off w/ no tax (between gold box and ECA) and free 2-day shipping (yay Prime :D) is already a good start. :)

You guys think if I go ahead and register with my regular email that I can contact ECA later about the problem and get refunded the $5 since I could not get the activation on my edu email?

I only ask because I made the mistake of adding Beatles Rock Band and applying my 50% to my amazon cart, and I'm worried the code will be void if I wait too long without completing it.

[quote name='StarDuster']The strategy I'm trying is from another post early in the board -- but I'll quote the goodies:

Now, I added my own steps after this. -- Just so I can better manipulate what my recommended titles were. I have no idea if this will help at all, but here's what I did anyway.

- Clear your wishlist
- Go into the "Recommended For You" tab after clicking on the "Recommendations" link before your username
- Click the "Fix This" link in the line of text telling you why an item was recomended
- In the pop-up box, put a check mark in the "Not Interested" box and close the pop-up.
- Repeat above 2 steps for every item you do not want so that your recommendations list can be filled with only items that you want.

Mass Effect 2
The Last Remnant

We'll see how the next few days treat my Daily Gold Box deals. *crosses fingers*[/QUOTE]

I do all of that, today I got home pregnancy kit, michael jackson CDs.

[quote name='newlu']Obviously, Scumbag #4, evilpotatoguy is a CAG: Scumbag #4

Edit: All reported, good work, no_exit![/QUOTE]

Ah, that stings a little bit. Apologies for any offense I've caused.

[quote name='Tracid']I do all of that, today I got home pregnancy kit, michael jackson CDs.[/QUOTE]

No matter what, I always have a Michael fucking Jackson CD in my picks.

Obviously, no matter what a user inputs, Amazon shoves shit into people's picks to boost sales of various other items.

[quote name='Tracid']I do all of that, today I got home pregnancy kit, michael jackson CDs.[/QUOTE]

Hah, well I'm till waiting on my Quick Picks to refresh today. I still have yesterdays -- which has some decent stuff in it. BUT, I'm having to be limited with the cash at the moment and there's a few games i really want coming out soon.

So I say no to Kingdom Hearts 358/2 and several R.A. Salvatore and Robert Jordan books for now...

[quote name='Googer']Prof Layton & the Diabolical Box[/QUOTE]
I had that one yesterday, but I gave up on portable gaming once I realized all I ever did was play them in my room.

[quote name='StarDuster']I still have yesterdays -- which has some decent stuff in it.[/QUOTE]I wondered about that! My stuff looked familiar, but they were such forgettable items that I just figured I was still having bad luck.

[quote name='Jodou']I wondered about that! My stuff looked familiar, but they were such forgettable items that I just figured I was still having bad luck.[/QUOTE]

Well, it doesn't appear mine is going to change today. I guess I'll have to hold off til tomorrow. Maybe to make up for it I'll get the at least one of the many, many items I'm looking for...

[quote name='StarDuster']Well, it doesn't appear mine is going to change today. I guess I'll have to hold off til tomorrow. Maybe to make up for it I'll get the at least one of the many, many items I'm looking for...[/QUOTE]A few times last week, mine didn't update until 2 or 3pm EST. It's now back to changing sometime in the middle of the night though.

[quote name='StarDuster']The strategy I'm trying is from another post early in the board -- but I'll quote the goodies:

- Clear your wishlist

Mass Effect 2
The Last Remnant

We'll see how the next few days treat my Daily Gold Box deals. *crosses fingers*[/QUOTE]

Got my recommendations topped out with alot of what I am wanting, hopefully the picks play along :D Another little trick is to Ownit+5Star the strategy guides of the game and the other games related to the title you want - really helped me get the titles high up on the list :) Got Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, GoW2, Star Ocean and Red Faction all on the first page of recommendations ^_^

So items in your quick picks are only 5% off right? I was going to get Layton and the Diabolical Box but was i was waiting for it to show up in my goldbox. I think i should just order it now rather than wait for the extra $1.50 off. What do you guys think?

[quote name='whatup5']So items in your quick picks are only 5% off right? I was going to get Layton and the Diabolical Box but was i was waiting for it to show up in my goldbox. I think i should just order it now rather than wait for the extra $1.50 off. What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]
It won't sellout, if that's what you're worried about. Honestly, there's no reason to pre-order it so early and I personally wait until the day it ships to place an order if nothing comes up.

R&C A Crack In Time in the Gold Box yeaterday, signed up for the ECA and got it down to $48 and some change.
And today I used a few preorder tricks and got that badass Hori Real Arcade Pro EX-SE stick in the GoldBox, $14 off with the ECA discount alone and have already eaten the membership cost.

Love this thing and im only 2 days in, know im going to be broke as a joke for the rest of the year thanks to Amazon/ECA.

FYI

The codes appear to work only on current generation games. I tried to purchase an xbox (Capcom Classics) and gamecube RE2) game from Amazon and the code would not work for either. Yet it worked for X360 and Wii. Any official info. on this op?

[quote name='Jodou']It won't sellout, if that's what you're worried about. Honestly, there's no reason to pre-order it so early and I personally wait until the day it ships to place an order if nothing comes up.[/QUOTE]

I was pondering whether I should preorder beetles rock band and Tekken 6 bundles now with ECA, with fear that Amazon would for some reason take away the ECA discount on these bundles. Maybe I'll wait a bit longer and make sure these don't pop up in my goldbox.

12 hours and still no e-mail =( Sad panda... Trying to use my neu account for the $5 off and it's not showing up in my spam folder or anything... better just to wait a while longer or anything else to try?

[quote name='Jodou']It won't sellout, if that's what you're worried about. Honestly, there's no reason to pre-order it so early and I personally wait until the day it ships to place an order if nothing comes up.[/QUOTE]Pre-ordering entitles you to the price protection at Amazon. Should the pre-order dip in price at all before release, you're given the lowest price the game was at. I'd say that's a pretty good reason to pre-order.

Edit - Nevermind, finally received the other e-mail.

This is probably a stupid question, but I've signed up using my .edu e-mail address, but it never asked for payment or anything like that. Also, it seems it won't give me access to any member pages. Did I just sign up for the newsletter only or something?

[quote name='StarDuster']Hah, well I'm till waiting on my Quick Picks to refresh today. I still have yesterdays -- which has some decent stuff in it. BUT, I'm having to be limited with the cash at the moment and there's a few games i really want coming out soon.

So I say no to Kingdom Hearts 358/2 and several R.A. Salvatore and Robert Jordan books for now...[/QUOTE]

You know what's funny tonight, NOTHING was in my quickpick.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Pre-ordering entitles you to the price protection at Amazon. Should the pre-order dip in price at all before release, you're given the lowest price the game was at. I'd say that's a pretty good reason to pre-order.[/QUOTE]
Let's be honest: how many times has anything gone up in price prior to release lately?

[quote name='Pyloric']I was pondering whether I should preorder beetles rock band and Tekken 6 bundles now with ECA, with fear that Amazon would for some reason take away the ECA discount on these bundles. Maybe I'll wait a bit longer and make sure these don't pop up in my goldbox.[/QUOTE]

I preordered just fine. Amazon wouldn't take the discount off. That's silly.

finally got a video game in my goldbox! i got professor layton and the diabolical box, although i'm going to pass on that. but atleast i know i'm heading in the right direction!

[quote name='Jodou']Let's be honest: how many times has anything gone up in price prior to release lately?[/QUOTE]Pre-order prices fluctuate a few dollars less at points prior to release. Pre-ordering at Amazon ensures you get that lowest price without having to constantly check that item for price changes.

I really don't see any reason not to go ahead and pre-order stuff at Amazon, especially with Goldbox and ECA, unless you have credit at Gamestop, are going for store-specific bonus items, or are too impatient to wait a few days on non-release day shipped items.

Noob question Steve, but does Amazon charge your card immediately for preorders or only until the order ships?

How do they handle preorders for individuals, who would like to later apply gift cards, promotions to their existing preorders?

actually had a quick amazon question, i just signed up for the amazon prime trial, and did a pre-order with release day delivery, but the game doesn't come out until after my trial ends. will amazon still give me release day delivery for free, or will i have to pay for it once the trial ends?

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Pre-order prices fluctuate a few dollars less at points prior to release. Pre-ordering at Amazon ensures you get that lowest price without having to constantly check that item for price changes.

I really don't see any reason not to go ahead and pre-order stuff at Amazon, especially with Goldbox and ECA, unless you have credit at Gamestop, are going for store-specific bonus items, or are too impatient to wait a few days on non-release day shipped items.[/QUOTE]
You seem confused. He won't have a shot at a gold box price if he pre-orders, so it's not like he can't monitor pricing regardless.

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']Noob question Steve, but does Amazon charge your card immediately for preorders or only until the order ships?

How do they handle preorders for individuals, who would like to later apply gift cards, promotions to their existing preorders?[/QUOTE]
You know, you could have just spent a minute reading your order on Amazon to find all this out.

Keep an eye on your Amazon pre-orders, I know it's supposed to drop to the lowest price automatically but the vast majority of the stuff I've pre-ordered (That does indeed qualify for the pre-order price guarantee) has NOT dropped automatically and I've had to email them and push to get the lower price...

[quote name='Jodou']You seem confused. He won't have a shot at a gold box price if he pre-orders, so it's not like he can't monitor pricing regardless.

You know, you could have just spent a minute reading your order on Amazon to find all this out.[/QUOTE]

You know, I'd rather ask because I don't feel like having $100+ deducted on my card for a game that is months away from release. If I can hold off, than I will....

Just signed up for ECA membership since I had multiple games on preorder that would cover the cost of the membership + some. I canceled my Tekken 6 LE preorder that had the 50% off code from a trade-in applied and then put the game back in my cart, the 50% off was applied back automatically. I generated my 1st 10% off ECA code and applied it for an additional $15 off. Ended up getting the Tekken 6 LE with wireless joystick for $59.99.

Nice, practically a free wireless joystick!

[quote name='Techsticles']Just signed up for ECA membership since I had multiple games on preorder that would cover the cost of the membership + some. I canceled my Tekken 6 LE preorder that had the 50% off code from a trade-in applied and then put the game back in my cart, the 50% off was applied back automatically. I generated my 1st 10% off ECA code and applied it for an additional $15 off. Ended up getting the Tekken 6 LE with wireless joystick for $59.99.

Nice, practically a free wireless joystick![/QUOTE]

Maybe u can help a fellow cag...I signed up for ECA membership last week but I haven't figured out how to pay for my membership. Do they send u a link or something? Please help.

[quote name='greggysasaki']Maybe u can help a fellow cag...I signed up for ECA membership last week but I haven't figured out how to pay for my membership. Do they send u a link or something? Please help.[/QUOTE]

follow the link in the email to checkout.

[quote name='greggysasaki']Maybe u can help a fellow cag...I signed up for ECA membership last week but I haven't figured out how to pay for my membership. Do they send u a link or something? Please help.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't receiving the confirmation emails at all to my usual e-mail account, but I changed my email address to a different one and requested the confirmation email again. I received that one and clicked on the link in the email and checked out from there. If you don't receive your email in the first few minutes, try a different email address. After you confirm you should be able to change it back.

How exactly does this work? I see you guys talking about manipulating picks and whatnot.

I'll sign up for this on principle, but getting discounts is nice. And I can use the coupons I generate on any game right? How many can I generate? I tend to buy a few games at a time.

Thanks a lot. Sorry if this has been covered, navigating this page and getting all the facts is difficult at work.

[quote name='Techsticles']I wasn't receiving the confirmation emails at all to my usual e-mail account, but I changed my email address to a different one and requested the confirmation email again. I received that one and clicked on the link in the email and checked out from there. If you don't receive your email in the first few minutes, try a different email address. After you confirm you should be able to change it back.[/QUOTE]

Wait, so you can just change your ECA membership email? That would be great as I might as well sync it with my Amazon account email just to be safe. I figured it was locked to the email you purchased it under.

By the way, I spent a great deal of time pruning and refining my recommended items and it has yet to help. While I got a couple games in there yesterday I got nothing but children's books today. And all because like 4-5 years ago my wife bought some stuff like that using my account. I thought I got rid of all that crap, but I guess they hold on to the info somewhere. Or maybe it takes longer for the changes to propagate. But at this point if I click on "See All Recommendations" it is simply page after page of games and gaming related items. I'm not so sure how tightly coupled this is with your Gold Box selections, though.

I made an account today and received a confirmation email for the ECA Newsletter but nothing for a membership. And when I click the button to send a confirmation email, it doesn't send one. I'm using my school email so I get the discount, so is there a solution to this other than changing my email address?

Also, I found an ECA Membership card on Amazon. I might buy that with my Amazon credit. I assume its the same as the online membership. Oh, and is the ECA membership a lifetime membership or is it timed? http://www.amazon.com/ECA-Membershi...ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1249343440&sr=8-2

Are the codes resetting correctly now?

I'm thinking about buying one of my lesser wants because it poped up in my goldbox today -- However, if the codes are still not resetting correctly, then I'll just hold off. I'm hoping for some good deals this week! :bouncy:

[quote name='Techsticles']I wasn't receiving the confirmation emails at all to my usual e-mail account, but I changed my email address to a different one and requested the confirmation email again. I received that one and clicked on the link in the email and checked out from there. If you don't receive your email in the first few minutes, try a different email address. After you confirm you should be able to change it back.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much!!!!! It finally worked after you suggested the change in email address. :applause:

Man, I kept putting off the ECA since I figured I wouldn't buy enough to make it worthwhile. But I should have subscribed a long time ago.

Next deal I find on Amazon I'm going to finally bite.

If only the discount worked on blu ray movies :[

for some reason I have cooking/kitchen tools and utensils in my goldbox, even though I have NEVER EVER browsed or bought any of the aforementioned items.

I have only had graphic novels and piss poor 2.50 xbox arcade retro games in my gold box since the beginning of this year...I have given up on the gold box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back