(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='wildcpac']Well I can thank the ECA for the free one month Gamefly. I was able to rent Batman AA. I was going to buy it but the Amazon codes are still not up. I'll put the money towards a Dual Shock 3.[/QUOTE]

Does it look like it'll be easy to cancel after a month or do they renew it automatically? I assume you have to give them CC information if they're sending you games.

Also, where are you supposed to enter the promo code?

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE on the Codes:

So, it takes Amazon a few days to issue a new set of codes. We should have them and loaded up for everyone at the end of the week. Really sorry for the delay, we're working on solutions for the future. Thank you for everyone being patient and your understanding. Believe me, there's a few games I'm holding off buying for the new set of codes, so I'm right there with you all waiting.

Brett Schenker
Online Advocacy Manager
the ECA

The Batman $5 promo expires tomorrow, and I've pre-ordered with super-saver shipping which estimates an 8/31 ship date. If we really get codes before the end of the week, theoretically, we'll be able to apply the ECA discount before the item ships.

Is the ECA discount based on the MSRP? Or on Amazon's price?

ok guys help me out on the gamefly trial. I had gamefly before and I used their free trial. I dont think I can try the trial again. I have a new CC but I think they check by address. Also, I dont know where to put the code. Any help.

Thanks, Brett... I guess that means no Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box which just showed up in my gold box quick picks today :cry:.

[quote name='MrCompletely']
Is the ECA discount based on the MSRP? Or on Amazon's price?[/QUOTE]

Amazon's price.

[quote name='Brett Schenker']
UPDATE on the Codes:

So, it takes Amazon a few days to issue a new set of codes. We should have them and loaded up for everyone at the end of the week. Really sorry for the delay, we're working on solutions for the future. Thank you for everyone being patient and your understanding. Believe me, there's a few games I'm holding off buying for the new set of codes, so I'm right there with you all waiting.

Brett Schenker
Online Advocacy Manager
the ECA
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update, Brett. I'm holding out a couple purchases as well. :bomb:

I did this to get an ECA discount on one of my games. Was my friends idea so I can't take credit for it.

Really wanted Batman for the cheap price, and since the coupons ends today....

I cancelled one of my pre-orders that I had ordered with ECA in order to free it up and get it with Batman. It's far off, so I should get it in my GB by then again.

Now I have Batman ordred for $41.xx and free release day shipping so I should have it tomorrow. :)

Man, if I had it in GB, it'd be $39.xx :drool:

[quote name='wildcpac']Well I can thank the ECA for the free one month Gamefly. I was able to rent Batman AA. I was going to buy it but the Amazon codes are still not up.[/QUOTE]

I did the exact same thing today. My copy of Batman has already been mailed :lol: I put the money into a preorders for Last Guardian and MAG (will cancel if I cant add the ECA code once they are available again).

[quote name='lawl']dammit, uncharted 2 is in my goldbox today[/QUOTE]

Preorder it today and email CS to apply the ECA code later.

I've done it like 6 times already.

What's the catch for Amazon, and the other companies involved? Do they get to write off that 10% discount or money lost from a 1 month subscription in taxes or something because ECA is a non-profit?

damn I just pre-ordered Batman 15 minutes ago and its already being prepared for shipping. Should I contact Amazon see if they can apply the code manually?

Sweet, just canceled and re-ordered Batman. Then emailed about Uncharted 2, Ratchet & Clank, and Gran Turismo 5, which were all in my goldbox a few days ago!

Glad to see the codes back up. Just ordered my Batman and still says will be delivered tomorrow :)

I also pre-ordered the Ultimate Sith Edition of Force Unleashed. I'm a sucker for Star Wars games...

[quote name='lakers2008']damn I just pre-ordered Batman 15 minutes ago and its already being prepared for shipping. Should I contact Amazon see if they can apply the code manually?[/QUOTE]
Yes. You should... call them right now!

And hats off to the eca. Now do I just put my order in for brutal legend and demon's souls or actually try to get a game for either HD console, seriously ANY game, in my goldbox.

Woohoo, Batman Tomorrow! Thanks ECA for making that happen quicker than anticipated.

Caved and got the cheapo release date shipping, $52 all up w/$5 discount and ECA discount. I guess they effectively negated the tax and shipping.

My fear is people are going to start stockpiling these and ECA will run out again but even quicker.

They really need to go to a unique user code so this won't happen and people won't abuse them by selling the codes on ebay as some have said.

[quote name='buckythekat']I have, honestly his theory is pretty much crap, I'm sure someone has had Batman show up

heck I've had such big name titles at FFXIII and Halo Reach show up in my goldbox along with Halo ODST

if those games will be given another 5% off by Amazon I highly doubt Batman wouldn't[/QUOTE]

Ok... the theory is crap because you think someone has had batman show up... lol

Everyone and their brother has had FFXIII vs, halo reach, and ODST show up multiple times....

Heck I had metroid trilogy, metroid other m, super mario galaxy 2, and super mario bros 2 all show up for the first time on the same day right after they were added as preorders.... Yet things that have been in my top 5 recommendations for 2 months still not there... and I've never seen anyone post they had them in their goldbox...

Also there's the fact that when Michael Jackson died people started getting a ton of his stuff in their goldbox when they never bought any music from amazon before.

Not going to argue the point but to say the theory is crap and your only proof is that you think someone somewhere has had batman in their goldbox is not proof that it's incorrect.

The goldbox is far less random than people think.

[quote name='bvharris']Does it look like it'll be easy to cancel after a month or do they renew it automatically? I assume you have to give them CC information if they're sending you games.

Also, where are you supposed to enter the promo code?[/QUOTE]

Cancel on the last day of your trial. They do not charge you for the first month. If you cancel before your month is up they require you to ship the games back to them. I believe they give you 7 days to receive the games before they charge. The link for the promo is under the membership area for eca. They give you the promo code as well.

[quote name='lakers2008']ok guys help me out on the gamefly trial. I had gamefly before and I used their free trial. I dont think I can try the trial again. I have a new CC but I think they check by address. Also, I dont know where to put the code. Any help.[/QUOTE]

Use a different email address and start a new account. The link to put the code is in the membership area of eca along with the promo code.

Halo Reach was in my goldbox a couple days ago so I ordered it without the 10%. Called Amazon up today and told them my code and they applied it without a problem. I love Amazon Customer Service!

will anyone trade an ECA code for 200 wii pts or a pepsi rock band song redemption code? lemme know!

i've been having major issues signing up, i went as far as to email AND call them. the number on the site takes you to some signals something company, not the ECA. D-:

Figures these would come back online after I've had stuff like Uncharted 2 and Gran Turismo 5 in my Gold Box already. Oh well. Glad to see the codes are at least working again (for now).

[quote name='robbrism']My fear is people are going to start stockpiling these and ECA will run out again but even quicker.

They really need to go to a unique user code so this won't happen and people won't abuse them by selling the codes on ebay as some have said.[/QUOTE]
Ha, yeah I just applied like 5 codes to my account by pre-ordering and canceling games. GG?

Hurray ECA!!! I, too, worry about stockpiling of the codes as people dont want them to run out. I used three this afternoon on my best gold box ever - Heavy Rain, Last Guardian and MAG.

I always keep a backup of 5 ECA codes just in case. The thing is.. I've had times when I went down my list and 2-3 of them were invalid until the third or fourth one. Not sure if it was generated for someone else or something.. but yeah, it's good to keep a couple spares just in case something like this happens.

[quote name='sauron07']Hurray ECA!!! I, too, worry about stockpiling of the codes as people dont want them to run out. I used three this afternoon on my best gold box ever - Heavy Rain, Last Guardian and MAG.[/QUOTE]
That's an awesome goldbox. I would preordered all of them, too! Are you listening Amazon??? ;)

[quote name='godofgrunge']I also pre-ordered the Ultimate Sith Edition of Force Unleashed. I'm a sucker for Star Wars games...[/QUOTE]
Same, plus we get a $5 MP3 GC too!

Thanks ECA! I just signed up and ordered Dissidia. Even though it wasn't in my Gold Box I saved some $$$.

How's Amazon's Free shipping? I know it takes longer but is the packaging good? I'm always iffy with the free shipping methods of online stores.

[quote name='CKEStriker']Thanks ECA! I just signed up and ordered Dissidia. Even though it wasn't in my Gold Box I saved some $$$.

How's Amazon's Free shipping? I know it takes longer but is the packaging good? I'm always iffy with the free shipping methods of online stores.[/QUOTE]

Amazons free shipping in the past (about 10 orders) has taken on average 3 days for me to receive it.

He asked about the packaging though - I usually find they pack things decently enough. I don't think the free shipping effects that too much. What sucks about the free shipping is that it often takes them several days just to ship. Then once it ships it varies as sometimes they will go with media mail and sometimes first-class or UPS Ground (which can be as bad as media mail). So I don't know how you are getting stuff 3 days from ordering, wildpac, if that's what you meant since they usually only begin processing it at that point ;). It has averaged about 10-14 days for me.

I don't mind slow shipping methods but what gets me is how long they take to process the orders under "free shipping". I just signed up for Prime and the difference is remarkable - it isn't even in the slow vs 2-day shipping, it is that now they instantly process things and send them out ASAP.

I get Amazon orders in about 3-4 days (excluding Sundays). My Prime ran out so it's be FSSS for a while now and I seriously don't see that much of a difference. Don't really like the $25 minimum though, but MEH.

[quote name='sauron07']Hurray ECA!!! I, too, worry about stockpiling of the codes as people dont want them to run out. I used three this afternoon on my best gold box ever - Heavy Rain, Last Guardian and MAG.[/QUOTE]
How come you guys are getting the good Gold Box items? I keep getting crappy old games and movies. :/

I had about 4 days of good video games in my goldbox last week. then one day i had no quick picks at all, and since then its been random crap. i got a few dvds and cds today so at least i'm getting close to video games

I finally started getting video games a few days ago but only ps3 and wii stuff. I have 360 stuff all rated very high though. I swear the gold box is on crack at times

[quote name='io']He asked about the packaging though - I usually find they pack things decently enough. I don't think the free shipping effects that too much. What sucks about the free shipping is that it often takes them several days just to ship. Then once it ships it varies as sometimes they will go with media mail and sometimes first-class or UPS Ground (which can be as bad as media mail). So I don't know how you are getting stuff 3 days from ordering, wildpac, if that's what you meant since they usually only begin processing it at that point ;). It has averaged about 10-14 days for me.

I don't mind slow shipping methods but what gets me is how long they take to process the orders under "free shipping". I just signed up for Prime and the difference is remarkable - it isn't even in the slow vs 2-day shipping, it is that now they instantly process things and send them out ASAP.[/QUOTE]

Like you said, if anything, the biggest issue is they sit on your order for some reason, probably because they have it worked out where processing your order at non-peak times is cost effective, or something.

Having said that though, I've found that's in RARE instances for me. Most of the time I get my stuff in 2-3 days, 4-5 max, after a day of processing. I've had many items arrive in 2 days, and one item practically overnight.

I think the speed once the order has been processed all depends on where they ship it from. I live in southern California and shipments from their Nevada warehouses were practically overnight. The Nevada warehouses shipped it in a cardboard-fold-over they thing, but everything appeared alright. Every other time I've ever ordered from Amazon, it always comes in a box with the air bag padding. And I always use free shipping.

Amazon seems to prefer USPS for shipping to me as well, but if the box is a bit bigger they use UPS.

I guess I'm just lucky because the cost of standard shipping would move at the speed of the free shipping, and free shipping is already close to 2 day prime for me.

I've never been able to tell the difference between free shipping and standard 3-day shipping. It generally takes the same amount of processing time, or occasionally one day extra for free shipping. Once it ships, they arrive in two or three days regardless. It made me feel stupid for choosing standard shipping for so long.

I have a question about release day shipping though. Does Amazon generally offer this for all videogames? I pre-ordered Arkham Asylum when it became available for around $40 with ECA and the $5 coupon. I selected free shipping, but a few weeks later, I got an email notifying me that release day shipping was now available. Is this something that happens with all/most games when it gets close to release? I ask because there are currently some games that I have preordered that I would not mind paying the extra $10 or so to pick it up at Gamestop and have it on release day. If they offer release day shipping, however, I would much prefer to stick with Amazon.

[quote name='Jerkapotamus']I've never been able to tell the difference between free shipping and standard 3-day shipping. It generally takes the same amount of processing time, or occasionally one day extra for free shipping. Once it ships, they arrive in two or three days regardless. It made me feel stupid for choosing standard shipping for so long.

I have a question about release day shipping though. Does Amazon generally offer this for all videogames? I pre-ordered Arkham Asylum when it became available for around $40 with ECA and the $5 coupon. I selected free shipping, but a few weeks later, I got an email notifying me that release day shipping was now available. Is this something that happens with all/most games when it gets close to release? I ask because there are currently some games that I have preordered that I would not mind paying the extra $10 or so to pick it up at Gamestop and have it on release day. If they offer release day shipping, however, I would much prefer to stick with Amazon.[/QUOTE]

I think release day shipping only happens when the street date comes after the ship date. If the ship date is the release date Amazon can't have release day shipping before they receive it.

Thanks to the 10% codes returning today, this Wednesday is going to be like Christmas for me. Metroid Trilogy, PS3 slim, PS3 headset, WiiFit and some trades should be arriving as well. I had to use the 50% off code for WiiFit, since I don't think WiiFit Plus is going to have a price before the end of the month, and I don't want to risk the 50% coupon.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']
Thanks to the 10% codes returning today, this Wednesday is going to be like Christmas for me. Metroid Trilogy, PS3 slim, PS3 headset, WiiFit and some trades should be arriving as well. I had to use the 50% off code for WiiFit, since I don't think WiiFit Plus is going to have a price before the end of the month, and I don't want to risk the 50% coupon.[/QUOTE]

Just curious, but you didn't get the 10% code to apply to the Slim did you? I tried it the other day and it didn't work but I just want to be sure before I buy mine. I have a feeling I better lock that in tonight. I had some vain hope it might show up in my gold box quick picks (as it is in my Recommendations) but I've never seen any of the hardware show up (DS Lites and PSPs of various shapes and colors are all over my recommendations but never show up).

But I could see Amazon closing down preorders if they get too many or don't have a huge supply from Sony and then I'd lose ability to use that $75 coupon on it (though then I'd just get another DSi I suppose).

[quote name='io']Just curious, but you didn't get the 10% code to apply to the Slim did you? I tried it the other day and it didn't work but I just want to be sure before I buy mine. I have a feeling I better lock that in tonight. I had some vain hope it might show up in my gold box quick picks (as it is in my Recommendations) but I've never seen any of the hardware show up (DS Lites and PSPs of various shapes and colors are all over my recommendations but never show up).

But I could see Amazon closing down preorders if they get too many or don't have a huge supply from Sony and then I'd lose ability to use that $75 coupon on it (though then I'd just get another DSi I suppose).[/QUOTE]

No, but I didn't even really try. I just assumed 10% wouldn't work. I was going to try and wait to see if the slim would show up in my goldbox too, but I eventually gave up. I'm pretty sure the slim is more or less flagged not to show up in goldboxes yet.

Amazon does seem to have a pretty ample supply of slims as they haven't taken down pre-orders yet. Of course, Sony has probably been manufacturing these for no less than 6 months, so I imagine supply probably isn't too much of an issue. I guess worst case scenario for you is that you get yours on a later shipment. Besides, don't you already have like 5 ds(i?)es? ;)

[quote name='BlueLobstah']No, but I didn't even really try. I just assumed 10% wouldn't work. I was going to try and wait to see if the slim would show up in my goldbox too, but I eventually gave up. I'm pretty sure the slim is more or less flagged not to show up in goldboxes yet.

Amazon does seem to have a pretty ample supply of slims as they haven't taken down pre-orders yet. Of course, Sony has probably been manufacturing these for no less than 6 months, so I imagine supply probably isn't too much of an issue. I guess worst case scenario for you is that you get yours on a later shipment. Besides, don't you already have like 5 ds(i?)es? ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I went ahead and ordered it. The 10% code gave me an error message and the $30 code did nothing. But that's probably because it would normally work, it's just that the $75 one was better and it only uses one of those types of codes. I ended up using the $30 code on Resonance of Fate, which was in my Gold Box quick picks (of course, it also picked up the ECA code I tried to use on the Slim and applied it to that so that was nice).

So now I need to decide how to hook this thing up to my old 1080i TV downstairs. Do I use HDMI with an HDMI-to-DVI converter on the end or just go with component? I assume I'll have to buy PS3 component cables somewhere (ie, they aren't included) - man, now I regret returning the clearance ones I got at Target several months back #-o.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back