(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io'] So now I need to decide how to hook this thing up to my old 1080i TV downstairs. Do I use HDMI with an HDMI-to-DVI converter on the end or just go with component? I assume I'll have to buy PS3 component cables somewhere (ie, they aren't included) - man, now I regret returning the clearance ones I got at Target several months back #-o.[/QUOTE]

HDMI-to-DVI should work fine as long as you have an optical input on your TV or receiver for audio. Otherwise you'll be stuck with component. If that's the case, a PS2 component cable should still be compatible with the PS3 slim. Those you should be able to pick up dirt cheap either used at GS or on eBay.

So I e-mailed amazon customer service to apply an ECA code to my goldbox order from when the codes were down, but the service rep said that codes can only be applied during the time of placing the order. I ended up canceling the goldbox order and reordering with ECA.

At least is was only $1.50 I'm missing out on.

[quote name='ihadFG']So I e-mailed amazon customer service to apply an ECA code to my goldbox order from when the codes were down, but the service rep said that codes can only be applied during the time of placing the order. I ended up canceling the goldbox order and reordering with ECA.

At least is was only $1.50 I'm missing out on.[/QUOTE]

They've done it for me before, and I know others here. I have no idea what the actual policy is, but I know it's been done. Sounds like you got a strict customer service rep.

Can someone please explain how the whole gold box deal works. I have nothing but junk in mine. How do I get good games to show up?

Can we sticky Gold Box/ECA information so we don't get the same questions over and over? I know it's a crapshoot getting stuff in your Gold Box, but at least it saves forum posts for similar questions that always seem to come up.

I got a question for you guys. How does Amazon Gold Box work? I click on recommendations at the top and I am getting crappy games and crappy movies. I get a Killzone 2 here and there, but it is at the regular price.

[quote name='ihadFG']So I e-mailed amazon customer service to apply an ECA code to my goldbox order from when the codes were down, but the service rep said that codes can only be applied during the time of placing the order. I ended up canceling the goldbox order and reordering with ECA.

At least is was only $1.50 I'm missing out on.[/QUOTE]
You got shafted. I've had CS reps put ECA discounts on items while the codes were down before.

For some reason I had my pre-order of batman NOT being used for recommendations. I fixed that lastnight(god just any game please) and I got a 1600 points live card, ps3 controller(could've used that two weeks ago when I ordered mine!) and FF:dissidia.

Dissidia is weird considering I said I own it, it's in my wish list and I gave it a 5 star rating, but still it appears in my quick picks. I guess today is....better, but still not what I wanted.

And just as an idea, if you don't want to totally hoard codes but still kind of be at the ready, get a code, use it on your account to save it to your cart, get another code generated and that's two you'll have incase anything goes down.

Finally got a decent DotD. I preordered Forza 3 and FFvXIII. Both added up to $50.99 with ECA+dotd. I think I pulled the trigger on FFvXIII a little to early. I know that SE will release LE of FFvXIII and FFXIII. I prefer LE on FF games. Hopefully they'll become avaliable and appear on dotd so I can preorder it. :D

I looked through most of this thread and didn't see mention of this...so here goes....can you use these ECA discount coupons on consoles? I'm probably going to get an Elite 360 when it drops and thought this would be a good deal, if it works.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I looked through most of this thread and didn't see mention of this...so here goes....can you use these ECA discount coupons on consoles? I'm probably going to get an Elite 360 when it drops and thought this would be a good deal, if it works.[/QUOTE]

No. Doesn't work on hardware. Only games and accessories (controllers, joysticks, etc.).

What's weird was earlier I put Professor Layton and the Curious Village in my cart. The arrival date was the 31st (next Monday, more than 2 days which I had selected) and 2 ECA codes wouldn't work. I removed it from my cart and re-added it and the 2nd code I used worked (didn't try the first).

[quote name='Estebon']If I order 3 games, do I have to use 3 codes to get 10% off each, or just 1?

There should be a faq up.[/QUOTE]

1 code per order. I had 4 games in my quick picks put all of them in my cart and used 1 code and it took 10% off each game in the order. You would only need 3 codes if you do 3 separate orders.

[quote name='icedrake523']What's weird was earlier I put Professor Layton and the Curious Village in my cart. The arrival date was the 31st (next Monday, more than 2 days which I had selected) and 2 ECA codes wouldn't work. I removed it from my cart and re-added it and the 2nd code I used worked (didn't try the first).[/QUOTE]

Perhaps it wasn't being sold and shipped by Amazon?

[quote name='rust in peace']1 code per order. I had 4 games in my quick picks put all of them in my cart and used 1 code and it took 10% off each game in the order. You would only need 3 codes if you do 3 separate orders.
cagus.smile.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I had to poke around a bit to figure it out for sure. Great deal though.

[quote name='Traitorious']You got shafted. I've had CS reps put ECA discounts on items while the codes were down before.[/QUOTE]
I agree. I joined ECA this week. Emailed Amazon to apply the discount to my Demon's Souls preorder that I placed a couple of months ago, and they did it.

As soon as the codes came back online, all of a sudden, games disappeared from my Gold Box. Now instead of PS3 games that I actually might want, I'm stuck with gas grill covers, a human anatomy textbook, and a Michael Jackson DVD.

[quote name='saturnotaku']As soon as the codes came back online, all of a sudden, games disappeared from my Gold Box. Now instead of PS3 games that I actually might want, I'm stuck with gas grill covers, a human anatomy textbook, and a Michael Jackson DVD.[/QUOTE]

lol! same here...

Any idea why this item wouldn't qualify for 10% off?
Xbox 360 LE Red Wireless Controller and Play & Charge Kit

We're sorry, but the promotional code you entered cannot be applied to this purchase. Please refer to your promotional coupon for information about item or store restrictions.

[quote name='thearena96']Any idea why this item wouldn't qualify for 10% off?
Xbox 360 LE Red Wireless Controller and Play & Charge Kit

We're sorry, but the promotional code you entered cannot be applied to this purchase. Please refer to your promotional coupon for information about item or store restrictions.[/QUOTE]

Because the codes only apply to games. Amazon has the PS3 RealTriggers mis-classified.

[quote name='saturnotaku']Because the codes only apply to games. Amazon has the PS3 RealTriggers mis-classified.[/QUOTE]

This is not the case as these items all qualify:
Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Xbox 360 120GB Hard Drive
Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter

can someone help me out with this, is this thing still worth joining? I don't get the goldbox thing and this whole code thing. There are a lot of pages to read through and im trying my best but to no avail.

Woot, finally got the ECA email to get through to my school e-mail :D Now I just need to figure out what to use my Amazon 50% off coupon on :p

[quote name='Chris Dillon']can someone help me out with this, is this thing still worth joining? I don't get the goldbox thing and this whole code thing. There are a lot of pages to read through and im trying my best but to no avail.[/QUOTE]

15$ to join with .mil or .edu address, 20$ for any other. You get 10% off coupon codes for any video game and nearly every accessory(no consoles) sold by amazon that have so far stacked with every deal I've read about or used personally. You also get some other benefits listed on their page(though it's pretty unanimous that the amazon one is the best) and get to give some money to an organization you might care to have around.

What do you need help with?

Gold box: http://www.talkiphone.com/forums/t-mobile/3030-how-get-5-off-anything-amazon.html

Should you join?

Up to you. I have already quadrupled my entry cost in savings and its only been 3 months. If you dont shop on Amazon a lot(see: crazy) than joining is pointless.

The codes go in and out frequently but have been resolved much quicker as of late. For the most part, there is no better deal out right now especially in regards to getting new games for close to $15-20 off of retail release week.

AND OP, please put a FAQ on the first page...not that hard. This stuff gets pretty confusing with all the different issues and limitations.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']can someone help me out with this, is this thing still worth joining? I don't get the goldbox thing and this whole code thing. There are a lot of pages to read through and im trying my best but to no avail.[/QUOTE]

Basically, if you buy $150 or more on video games at Amazon, then yes it's worth joining. You still get codes that you enter at checkout to apply 10% off the price.

Gold Box is just a reference to people trying to get an extra 5% off of their games by having it in their Quick Picks.

is there any word about amazon continueing? most of my video game purchases come around christmas time so if the codes stop in september it isnt worth it to me. Just wondering if there was any news, if not, no biggie, worth a ask.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']is there any word about amazon continueing? most of my video game purchases come around christmas time so if the codes stop in september it isnt worth it to me. Just wondering if there was any news, if not, no biggie, worth a ask.[/QUOTE]

You could always join and just preorder those games now. Amazon does not charge you until they ship. Plus if you preorder you will lock in the lowest price if the game price ever fluctuates up and down.

Because it is not a perfect system. It is more intended for you to blind buy something than for us to manipulate them to get what we want in there. And since a good amount of us usually get similar items, it also seems to be used as an old stock mover.

[quote name='michaelericalonzo']another day with 1 video game and the rest are non-related items. anyone else having this w/ gb?[/QUOTE]

suprisingly, mine is all games today. granted, some of them are stupid game downloads because i downloaded big kahuna reef for the $5 MP3 credit. besides those 3 downloads, i also have:

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Metroid Prime Trilogy Collector's Edition

it's crazy that i have a gb with 7 games in it today. yesterday i only had one item. granted, it was uncharted 2, but that was the only item in my gb.

i think that the tricks offered do work, because before trying them, i would hardly ever get games in my box. i had the one yesterday, a few the day before - including kingdom hearts 358/2 days.

what the hell, i just signed up using a edu address, but did not get the registration email. Are they forcing you to not use an edu address and pay full price?? Is that the deal here?

[quote name='backseatdog']what the hell, i just signed up using a edu address, but did not get the registration email. Are they forcing you to not use an edu address and pay full price?? Is that the deal here?[/QUOTE]

Lol wow, you should write for a newspaper with that sensationalism. :roll:

It's a COMMON PROBLEM not to receive that e-mail, especially apparently at .edu addresses. Check spam/junk folders and e-mail them back if you didn't get it.

[quote name='doubledown']Yeah, I still have not got an e-mail with a .edu account...still waiting. I checked SPAM and everything. OH well.[/QUOTE]
You should get it in a matter of minutes, maybe an hour. If you don't log into the ECA website and change the e-mail address to a different one and click the button to resend the confirmation. You may have to use a regular email account. It sucks, but at least you can join ECA and start saving money.

Your other option is to talk to the head of the school's technology department and let him know you have an email coming from [email protected] and you are not receiving it. There may be a filter in place at the server end that is blocking e-mails from that address or domain.

[quote name='michaelericalonzo']well i do agree w/ you. when i decided to "manipulate" my GB for the first time, i got all video games the first day after.[/QUOTE]
What are the tricks for manipulating the GB that don't cost anything? I think I heard something about buying a game then cancelling the order immediately.

I just bought some blu-rays a few days ago, and since then my GB has been nothing but movies every day. :cry: Had a pretty good string of game preorders showing up before that (Demon's Souls, Scribblenauts, and Heavy Rain over the course of a few days).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back