(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DefeatUForever']I initially signed up with aol and never got the next email to purchase an account, than I changed my email address to my gmail account and had them resend the email and it worked.[/QUOTE]

Weird. I did what you said and now it worked. The reason I was using my other e-mail address was it was a .edu, I never got an e-mail to that address but it sent to my Google right away.

[quote name='DefeatUForever']I initially signed up with aol and never got the next email to purchase an account, than I changed my email address to my gmail account and had them resend the email and it worked.[/QUOTE]

I think they got hit by a lot of new members recently. I signed up my .edu account over a week ago and just got the validation email today.

[quote name='Grimm Fandango']I think they got hit by a lot of new members recently. I signed up my .edu account over a week ago and just got the validation email today.[/QUOTE]

Weird. I signed up with my .edu account this afternoon, and had my validation email in less than a minute.

Originally Posted by arcane93
racoon, rat, and mouse traps.

yes you too can have hours of fun at the hospital after you try to remove your friendly racoon from this trap... LOL

[quote name='LoaderLeaker']Where can find those codes that the OP has stated in the first post?[/QUOTE]

If you paid for a membership, they will be in the members area

Since my latest post I've ordered a few things but not much, pre-ordered and got Muramasa; also have Katamari Forever & God of War Collection pre-ordered; along with Uncharted 2 for the time being. And I have 3 Nintendo Points Cards on the way since I can always use them.

How often can you request an ECA code from them ? Like if you occasionally gave a rl friend some of your codes would they cancel your membership or anything ?

[quote name='dcm1602']How often can you request an ECA code from them ? Like if you occasionally gave a rl friend some of your codes would they cancel your membership or anything ?[/QUOTE]

If you share your codes, you're doing every ECA member a disservice. I think they're going to have individual, one-time use codes, so this issue should be moot in the future.

I have a question. My wife works at a local college, so she has a .edu e-mail account. If we sign up through her .edu e-mail, will everything have to go through that e-mail? In other words, once you're a member and want to get a code, do you get the code right on their site, or do you need to have it e-mailed to you? I'm wondering if the $5 savings at signup would be worth the hassle of having to do everything through my wife's e-mail.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have a few games preordered from Amazon that I got in my gold box. If I get ECA, is there a way to get the extra 10% off for the games I already have preordered?

dont they automatically charge your credit card after a year the membership fees? And if you read the fine print it beats around the bush saying it wont be the initial 14.99 anymore, am I mistaken?

In order to break even with the ECA discount in NY (over buying them from newegg or somewhere tax free) youd need to purchase 36 games.

Bleh damn NYS and its absurd sales tax

[quote name='Steggy']dont they automatically charge your credit card after a year the membership fees? And if you read the fine print it beats around the bush saying it wont be the initial 14.99 anymore, am I mistaken?[/QUOTE]

they sell membership cards on target.com and walmart.com for 19.99 so I would think that is the current going price... prolly have it in the fine print in case they raise the membership fees sometime in the future...

man these codes are EVIL they make you spend more money then you wanto too LOL

this week picked up

Disgaea 2 saved 2.80
mario inside story saved 3.30
golden sun saved 3.30

Nostalgia save 3.40

total 12.80 (that is IF and a BIG IF GOLDEN SUN EVER SHIPS )

almost made my 15 back..... hopefully no more major games i want in my gold box for awhile

LOL love amazon shipping.. they must be using a worm hole
September 9, 2009 10:11:00 PM LOUISVILLE KY US Arrival Scan
September 9, 2009 10:10:00 PM PHILADELPHIA PA US Departure Scan

it jumped from PA to KY in 1 min... That is one super fast plane

[quote name='Steggy']dont they automatically charge your credit card after a year the membership fees? And if you read the fine print it beats around the bush saying it wont be the initial 14.99 anymore, am I mistaken?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they do. I don't like anyone auto-charging my card for anything no matter who they are, so since they absolutely insisted upon it, I went to my credit card site and made a "virtual" account number that expires well before the year is up. I'll decide whether I want to renew my membership in a year, thank you very much.

[quote name='dcm1602']In order to break even with the ECA discount in NY (over buying them from newegg or somewhere tax free) youd need to purchase 36 games.

Bleh damn NYS and its absurd sales tax[/QUOTE]

Can you explain that math?

I'm not sure what your tax is but here in CA it's close enough to 10% to call it that...

If you buy $200 in games, you get your $20 back with ECA but you'd pay that back in taxes roughly so it's a wash.

Seems like $400 (~$40 in taxes, $40 in savings) worth of games would break even. Obviously not as much of a deal as if you were in a state where Amazon doesn't tax, but unless you're REALLY good at getting deals ($11/game on average for anything you buy), not 36 games worth.

Of course, keep in mind you're supposed to report your purchases on your tax form anyway, so just because Amazon doesn't collect it doesn't mean you don't owe it.

Here's a question that I can't quite seem to find an answer to in this thread, since there's plenty of people talking about what they have showing up in their Gold Box.

I have some Amazon credit saved up, though I'd rather not commit it to pre-orders that I won't see for a while, like the God of War compilation. I'm trying to change my order to use my credit card and it won't allow me to do that with an ECA discount added in there. I can add in the ECA discount code without any issue, though when I try to switch my payment method to my credit card, the ECA discount "disappears" and it goes back to normal price. When I try to put the discount code back in again, it says it's been used.

Any idea how I can switch payment to my credit card and get the ECA discount to take, without using my credit to purchase the item?

[quote name='jacknicklson']Purchase a pre-order and apply the gift card.
Place new order using cc and eca
Cancel 1st order[/QUOTE]

Will this lock in my Gold Box price though?

I want to add the ECA discount (10% off, if I purchase it) to a preorder I've already made (with the 5% Gold Box discount). Is this possible?

[quote name='Dahk']I want to add the ECA discount (10% off, if I purchase it) to a preorder I've already made (with the 5% Gold Box discount). Is this possible?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Amazon only accepts coupon codes (like the ECA code) at the time of purchase, so the only way to add the ECA discount would be to cancel your order and re-purchase. But then you'd lose the Gold Box discount.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

another gold box deal

Sands of Destruction 23.79 after ECA ..... i need to stop buying

(though it will probally never ship )

getting good deals in gold box again

rest of deals

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes 30 something not really worth it should been 19.99 though i will rent it

Phantasy Star 0 30 something still got the game sealed for the psp

Infinite Space talk about a FUTURE DATE march 31 2010

[quote name='Dahk']Will this lock in my Gold Box price though?

I want to add the ECA discount (10% off, if I purchase it) to a preorder I've already made (with the 5% Gold Box discount). Is this possible?[/QUOTE]

My post was just showing how to keep your gift card credit and still use an eca code on an item. Your issue is separate, I would give them a call/email and ask them nicely to apply the code. They should.

ouch i can say that I did not save any money buying

DISGAEA 2 for the psp....

Disgaea 2 price on amazon 27.99 - 2.79 eca discount = 25.20

found out today

Gamefly did KEEP IT NOW ON THIS GAME

at 22.49 + 7% tax would be 24.00 to buy this game off gamefly : (

though i would get the game today via amazon i would of got this game Tomorrow via gamefly so i paid 4.00 for 1 faster day : (

so i paid 4 bucks more for it off amazon.... with gamefly doing more and more KEEP IT NOW on day 1 really starting to think the eca discount really isnt going to save me much (maybe around thanksgiving ) BUT new releases it seems its better just to rent and buy off gamefly

that mario game coming next week 33.99 amazon keep it now (price removed now was up last night 27.49)

DOUBLE EDIT..... forgot i would had to upgrade so add 7x 25 cents so toss in 1.50 upgrade fee even 2... would pushed the game off gamefly to 26.00.... so i save between 30 to 50 cents

[quote name='jacknicklson']My post was just showing how to keep your gift card credit and still use an eca code on an item. Your issue is separate, I would give them a call/email and ask them nicely to apply the code. They should.[/QUOTE]

Hm . . . When I tried asking them for it one time (not for an ECA code, but for a different coupon code), they told me that it couldn't be done. But maybe it all depends on which customer service rep you get when you contact them. Some seem to have significantly more of a clue than others.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Purchase a pre-order and apply the gift card.
Place new order using cc and eca
Cancel 1st order[/QUOTE]I guess I'd have to order something that would use up all the credit on-hand, and won't ship immediately, like the Tekken 6 wireless bundle or something like that, since I have more credit that the GOW collection.

Thanks for the info.

[quote name='Dahk']Will this lock in my Gold Box price though?

I want to add the ECA discount (10% off, if I purchase it) to a preorder I've already made (with the 5% Gold Box discount). Is this possible?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jacknicklson']I would give them a call/email and ask them nicely to apply the code. They should.[/QUOTE]

Has anyone had any luck with this?

I am extremely interested in ECA if I can do this. I feel like this would be a great time to sign up because I really need an additional Dual Shock 3 and by this time next year I should be able to preorder all the top of the line holiday titles that will drop before my 1 year ends.

[quote name='Dahk']Has anyone had any luck with this?

I am extremely interested in ECA if I can do this. I feel like this would be a great time to sign up because I really need an additional Dual Shock 3 and by this time next year I should be able to preorder all the top of the line holiday titles that will drop before my 1 year ends.[/QUOTE]

Wait - what are you asking here? If you're talking about future orders, then what does it matter whether you can add the code to an existing order or not? Just make sure that you use the code when you place the order to begin with and it won't be an issue.

If you have a pre-order that doesn't have any existing coupons on it that you'd lose, and the item price hasn't gone up or something, you can just cancel it and re-order it with the ECA code.

If you've got a pre-order that does have another discount on it (like Gold Box) and you want to add the ECA code without canceling, it's going to be YMMV at best. Like I said, I tried contacting them to add a coupon to an order at one point and the customer service person that I got told me he couldn't do it. But maybe others could. Regardless, though, there's at least a chance that you'll get someone who can't/won't, so there are no guarantees.

Also, look at it this way -- Gold Box is 5%. ECA is 10%. Even if you did end up having to cancel and re-order and you lost the Gold Box discount, you'd still come out ahead (assuming the base price on the item hasn't also gone up).

Still, if you're looking at that many future orders with it anyway, why wouldn't you just go ahead and join one way or the other?

[quote name='arcane93']
If you've got a pre-order that does have another discount on it (like Gold Box) and you want to add the ECA code without canceling, it's going to be YMMV at best. Like I said, I tried contacting them to add a coupon to an order at one point and the customer service person that I got told me he couldn't do it. But maybe others could. Regardless, though, there's at least a chance that you'll get someone who can't/won't, so there are no guarantees.[/QUOTE]

This is what I was asking. Thanks for the reply. I will probably sign up for ECA tongight and order another Dual Shock 3. Hopefully I can get them to add ECA to my pre-orders with the Gold Box locked in. If not, hopefully I can get the same games in my Gold Box again ;)

[quote name='Dahk']If not, hopefully I can get the same games in my Gold Box again ;)[/QUOTE]

You almost certainly will. I've had Uncharted 2 in my gold box twice and Gran Turismo 5 three times.

[quote name='lukisha']is there a way to set yourself up for 5% off gold box deals or is it random?[/QUOTE]

Check around the forums for a post started by "Joudo" or "Jodou" or however he spells it. It is the Gold Box thread, it has an FAQ in it that explains how to manipulate it.

[quote name='Dahk']This is what I was asking. Thanks for the reply. I will probably sign up for ECA tongight and order another Dual Shock 3. Hopefully I can get them to add ECA to my pre-orders with the Gold Box locked in. If not, hopefully I can get the same games in my Gold Box again ;)[/QUOTE]

I would recommend asking to have the code applied 2-3 times if it doesn't work the first tho... different csr's do different things...

[quote name='snives']Check around the forums for a post started by "Joudo" or "Jodou" or however he spells it. It is the Gold Box thread, it has an FAQ in it that explains how to manipulate it.[/QUOTE]

I know how to manipulate the quick picks, but can someone who knows from experience (not just guessing because they are fairly sure) please answer a question from this scenario...

I have GOWIII in my Amazon quick picks and the price is $56.99 normally and $54.14 at the quick pick discounted price. If I pre-order and Amazon's normal price drops to $53.99 before it releases, will I:

A. Get the game for $53.99 because the quick pick is considered a discounted price that was beaten by a lower price that they decided to offer. Or...

B. Get the game for for $51.29 because the quick pick is considered a "coupon" or "promotion" that is a percentage discount that will apply to the lowest price offered. ($53.99-5%=$51.29)

I realize I could call customer service and prob get a YMMV answer based on what that rep thinks would happen, but that would do me no good so I'd rather get put it here and see if anyone knows what happens from actually having been in this situation and seeing how Amazon's system processed it.

[quote name='smcmanus1980']I know how to manipulate the quick picks, but can someone who knows from experience (not just guessing because they are fairly sure) please answer a question from this scenario...

I have GOWIII in my Amazon quick picks and the price is $56.99 normally and $54.14 at the quick pick discounted price. If I pre-order and Amazon's normal price drops to $53.99 before it releases, will I

A. Get the game for $53.99 because the quick pick is considered a discounted price that was beaten by a lower price that they decided to offer. Or...

B. Get the game for for $51.29 because the quick pick is considered a "coupon" or "promotion" that is a percentage discount that will apply to the lowest price offered.

I realize I could call customer service and prob get a YMMV answer that would do me no good, so I'd rather get put it here and see if anyone knows what happens from actually being in this situation and seeing how Amazon's system processes this.[/QUOTE]
Straight from my FAQ: "With pre-orders this will only lock in the discount percentage, so a price drop will cause the actual amount to be recalculated."

[quote name='Jodou']Straight from my FAQ: "With pre-orders this will only lock in the discount percentage, so a price drop will cause the actual amount to be recalculated."[/QUOTE]

Thanks I'm def gonna do it then. If they drop GOWIII to $52.99 and give a $10 games credit like they did for Batman Alcoholics Anonymous it'd be ridiculous when combined with the quick pick and ECA. I figure like $45.31 for the game plus $10 credit.

I wonder if they lose money on stuff like that or if they actually still make a profit?

aargh, i keep on getting uncharted 2 in my gold box. So i just bit and bought it lol. Hopefully that will be the last time i see that game in my gold box. :bomb:

Items: $56.99
Shipping & Handling: $4.49
Gold Box Discount: -$2.85
Super Saver Discount: -$4.49
Pre-order Guarantee: -$0.00
Promotion Applied: -$5.70
Promotion Applied: -$30.00
pixel-grey._V47081715_.gif

Total Before Tax: $18.44
Estimated Tax: $0.00
Total: $18.44
Gift Certificate/Card: -$18.44
transparent-pixel._V42752373_.gif

Order Total: $0.00

yo guys, i noticed they have a 5% affiliate program. Anybody willing to give me something small to sign up under them? I'm sure you'd make that 5% back in no time and then some depending on the offer. Its better then just signed up straight up, please pm me.

[quote name='slidecage']AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

another gold box deal

Sands of Destruction 23.79 after ECA ..... i need to stop buying

(though it will probally never ship )

getting good deals in gold box again

rest of deals

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes 30 something not really worth it should been 19.99 though i will rent it

Phantasy Star 0 30 something still got the game sealed for the psp

Infinite Space talk about a FUTURE DATE march 31 2010[/QUOTE]I still don't understand how to "dictate" the Gold Box deal. I have only put God of War stuff on my wish list and only have Playstation related items for God of War. Yet I can't seem to get anything to show up in my Gold Box that is PS3 related. I am trying to get the God of War Collection on Bluray to pop in there. Any ideas?

[quote name='lllGurulll']I still don't understand how to "dictate" the Gold Box deal. I have only put God of War stuff on my wish list and only have Playstation related items for God of War. Yet I can't seem to get anything to show up in my Gold Box that is PS3 related. I am trying to get the God of War Collection on Bluray to pop in there. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]
Read my FAQ, friend.

Do the Amazon codes only apply to games sold directly through them, or do they work for games that are sold through third parties on amazon with "fulfillment by amazon"?

[quote name='rlse9']Do the Amazon codes only apply to games sold directly through them, or do they work for games that are sold through third parties on amazon with "fulfillment by amazon"?[/QUOTE]

Strictly through them.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']If/When the codes run out again, I anticipate all out war between the paid members and the free members who 'killed' the codes.[/QUOTE]

it is going to be ugly that's for sure

Used the code for 10 percent off, bought a Sony PS3 Dualshock, FrontMan wireless Guitar for 36 bucks,total. Sweet Deal!(Saw it on Slickdeals)

Did anybody get the untrusted connection warning when using the emailed confirmation link when they signed up for the ECA a while back before it was free?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back