(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='moonphrogg']Funny. . .the ECA forums told us to come bitch over here. I consider my money wasted until I get the discount codes I signed up for. I'm sorry- that's the cut and dry version for me. I have no precedent to go on, so I have no idea whether these codes are gone for good or not, or in what form they may return.

I was hoping to get some feedback from someone who's been a member a little longer and can reassure someone who's been a member for half an hour that his money is indeed not wasted.

I came to CAG because this forum is more active.[/QUOTE]

It definitely isn't money wasted. I would however be pissed if the recent influx of new members caused amazon to renege on the deal. They definitely would have a huge backlash on their hands. Until that happens I'll just have to sulk watching the awesomeness that is my GB at the moment go by.

[quote name='Vortextk']In lighter news, if you ever go to the theatre, check out their fandango deal and see if you have a visa that is a "signature" card. My amazon one is so apparently it's not as rare(or hard to come by) as I thought it would be, and that's buy 1 get 1 on movie tickets.[/QUOTE]

It's kind of weird that the ECA has this listed as an offer, but it looks like it's available to ALL Visa Signature cardholders.

[quote name='Hodaka']It exposes a problem very publicly that they can now fix to improve their services.[/QUOTE]
Well, so does sticking your hand in a live blender, but any moron can tell you it's a bad idea.

[quote name='GuardianE']It's kind of weird that the ECA has this listed as an offer, but it looks like it's available to ALL Visa Signature cardholders.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's just a link and has no verification process. It's like the Dell EPP that anyone can take advantage of.

[quote name='Galego23']I don't get it, I get a code and it is working for me... I don't understand how it "ran out."[/QUOTE]

What's your process for getting the code? Maybe I'm going about it the wrong way. . .

[quote name='Hodaka']There are very few services that don't offer free trials.. deal with it..[/QUOTE]

free trials with the same length as paying members?

grats bro on the dumbest statement on cag.

It's their organization and it's their call. If it makes you feel any better, they won't be doing anything of this extent probably ever again. I paid 15 in july, and I feel it was worth it, because I saved like 16$ before it went free anyway. If you got screwed, take it for what it is, something you felt was worth the money anyway, and deal with it. It's really your only option.

this is crap I just got $10 credit from NFS Shift that I am trying to apply to ODST and cant because ECA is down and I was trying to cancel and re-order and bring my ODST cost down to $28.99.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']It definitely isn't money wasted. I would however be pissed if the recent influx of new members caused amazon to renege on the deal. They definitely would have a huge backlash on their hands. Until that happens I'll just have to sulk watching the awesomeness that is my GB at the moment go by.[/QUOTE]

if they are pre-orders that have a considerable amount of time left before they are released you should go ahead and order it at the goldbox price. if the codes ever get back up, just shoot CS an email explaining the situation and include a code. i've done this before and they applied the 10 percent without a problem.

if the codes don't come back then you can just cancel the pre-orders

[quote name='Galego23']I don't get it, I get a code and it is working for me... I don't understand how it "ran out."[/QUOTE]

The system still displays the last code that they gave you. If you haven't already used it, then great, there you go. But when you click the link for a new code, it won't update, it will continue to show you that old one.

[quote name='Dowa']if they are pre-orders that have a considerable amount of time left before they are released you should go ahead and order it at the goldbox price. if the codes ever get back up, just shoot CS an email explaining the situation and include a code. i've done this before and they applied the 10 percent without a problem.[/QUOTE]

That's very YMMV, because some Amazon CS people have more of a clue than others -- you're just as likely to get one who claims it can't be done (and sure, you could probably keep trying until you get one who will do it, but how much is your time worth to you?). Personally, I'm just holding off and hoping that the items will show up again sometime before they're released and after the codes are working again, since the soonest release date for any of the games that I have coming up in my GB is still a month away.

If I was Amazon, I would totally choke off the codes. This is a massive money losing operation with little to no tangible benefit.

[quote name='Stele']If I was Amazon, I would totally choke off the codes. This is a massive money losing operation with little to no tangible benefit.[/QUOTE]
Unless Amazon is making more than 10% profit on games. In which case they're quite possibly making up the lower profits in volume.

[quote name='anubis20']this is crap I just got $10 credit from NFS Shift that I am trying to apply to ODST and cant because ECA is down and I was trying to cancel and re-order and bring my ODST cost down to $28.99.[/QUOTE]

If you already have a code on halo, it'll still be there. If you just joined, yeah you gotta wait till they get more.

[quote name='dizee']free trials with the same length as paying members?

grats bro on the dumbest statement on cag.[/QUOTE]

yes, even free trials as long or longer.. heck, I see people pay for magazine subscriptions that I have years of free subscriptions lined up.

how much whining was done over student vs regular membership too?

They are free to drum up business however they like and you're free to cancel for whatever partial refund you are entitled to receive..

[quote name='Stele']If I was Amazon, I would totally choke off the codes. This is a massive money losing operation with little to no tangible benefit.[/QUOTE]

How do you figure? They're definitely making more than a 10% profit on at least the majority of their game sales, probably significantly more on many. If this is netting them a lot of sales that they wouldn't have made otherwise (people buying things they wouldn't have bought, or would have bought elsewhere), they're more than making up for it. I know that my game purchases from Amazon have increased significantly since getting the discount (and I only joined at the beginning of September), and I'm sure that's been the case for many others as well. And they're clearly selling a ton of games with it, given the way the codes keep running out. The increased sales are their benefit.

The only thing that's even possibly a massive money losing operation for them is allowing the codes to stack with other discounts. I wouldn't really be surprised to see them cut that off.

[quote name='Hodaka']They are free to drum up business however they like and you're free to cancel for whatever partial refund you are entitled to receive..[/QUOTE]

0$, btw.

Damn... just got the God of War collection in my goldbox. This ECA thing is very frustrating... always "working with Amazon" and apologizing. After this many times, the apologies are worthless.

[quote name='arcane93'] The only thing that's a massive money losing operation for them is allowing the codes to stack with other discounts. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them cut that off.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but I imagine that is just some bug and obviously won't be a normal thing. Obviously they don't want to be giving out like 20% on all games, that does seem like a losing situation ontop of their other deals.

I'm in the same boat though. I have like 530 in games ordered over the next few months(in ffxiii and versus case, 2 years =P lol at amazon's estimated 2011 january shipping of versus). Know how much I've spent on amazon in game purchases before august? Like 60$ for a few older games, over a period of years. As long as they are still making some profit, the enormous amounts of orders might be enough. Let's only hope, because I want this discount to stick around longer.

[quote name='arcane93']How do you figure? They're definitely making more than a 10% profit on at least the majority of their game sales, probably significantly more on many.[/QUOTE]
Amazon's overall net margin, according to its 12/31/08 financials, is about 3%. Not saying specifically its videogame software margin is the same but I doubt a heavily discounted online (or any) retailer can have such lavish margins. Websites like CAG and SD are basically parasites to retailers...not saying that's our problem but that's how things are.

[quote name='Vortextk']Yeah but I imagine that is just some bug and obviously won't be a normal thing. Obviously they don't want to be giving out like 20% on all games, that does seem like a losing situation ontop of their other deals.[/QUOTE]

Well, I was talking about the stacking in general, not just the people stacking an old ECA code and a new one. For example, I was able to stack the 50% off code from the trade-in deal with the ECA code on Beatles Rock Band, and get a total of 60% ($150) off (which is pretty much the only reason that I'm not complaining a whole lot more, btw -- I at least more than made my money back on the ECA membership from that, if nothing else comes of it). They have to have lost money on allowing that to stack.

Then again, who knows, since the 50% off coupon was a promotional offer for the trade-ins, maybe they're just writing that one off as a small cost now to draw in a bunch of business later, and it doesn't matter to them. Hard to tell what they're thinking.

[quote name='Stele']Amazon's overall net margin, according to its 12/31/08 financials, is about 3%. Not saying specifically its videogame software margin is the same but I doubt a heavily discounted online (or any) retailer can have such lavish margins. Websites like CAG and SD are basically parasites to retailers...not saying that's our problem but that's how things are.[/QUOTE]

But their net margin already factors in things like the 10% discount. Their gross margin on most video games is between 25 and 30%. On some games like music games with instruments, it's even higher. Amazon loves sites like this and the ECA discount. It helps increase sales and move stock that isn't otherwise moving. Heck, they even gave advance notice to many sites last Christmas to hype the specific deals they would be giving for Black Friday and pre and post Christmas discounts.

[quote name='arcane93']Well, I was talking about the stacking in general, not just the people stacking an old ECA code and a new one. For example, I was able to stack the 50% off code from the trade-in deal with the ECA code on Beatles Rock Band, and get a total of 60% ($150) off (which is pretty much the only reason that I'm not complaining a whole lot more, btw -- I at least more than made my money back on the ECA membership from that, if nothing else comes of it). They have to have lost money on allowing that to stack.

Then again, who knows, since the 50% off coupon was a promotional offer for the trade-ins, maybe they're just writing that one off as a small cost now to draw in a bunch of business later, and it doesn't matter to them. Hard to tell what they're thinking.[/QUOTE]

They could intend for it to be somewhat like GS's Edge card.. it's the only thing that will stack with other coupons.

I've heard from mutiple GS employees that their new games don't net that much profit. They make their killing in the used game market.

[quote name='Hodaka']I've heard from mutiple GS employees that their new games don't net that much profit. They make their killing in the used game market.[/QUOTE]

A 1st grader could have told you that.

[quote name='Stele']Amazon's overall net margin, according to its 12/31/08 financials, is about 3%. Not saying specifically its videogame software margin is the same but I doubt a heavily discounted online (or any) retailer can have such lavish margins. Websites like CAG and SD are basically parasites to retailers...not saying that's our problem but that's how things are.[/QUOTE]

Hm . . . Well, I haven't (and probably won't, unless I get the sudden urge to buy stock ;)) done extensive research into Amazon's profit margins and business practices, but they are a huge company with what I'm sure are a very highly skilled set of managers and accountants making the decisions behind offers like this. I'm sure that if they stood to lose any money on this deal, they never would have made it in the first place. I'm also sure they factored scalability into their decision, because the ECA was bound to grow, even if they didn't expect this much growth this fast. Assuming that the deal wasn't a loss before, increasing the volume on it shouldn't be a loss either. So I'm just going to trust that they knew what they were doing on this one, and that, one way or the other, they're coming out ahead. :)

[quote name='darknight88']so my spare codes aint working. Finally got GOW collection in goldbox but cant use any of them. I get

"We're sorry, but the promotional code you entered cannot be applied to this purchase. Please refer to your promotional coupon for information about item or store restrictions."

Codes are dead again?[/QUOTE]

the same thing happened to me just now and really annoyed me. I knew this free membership thing is going to come back and haunt us paying member but it just happening much sooner than i thought

Hmmm. I had God of War Collection in my Gold Box to. Grabed it, and used an old ECA code I had lieing around the last 3 weeks and with additional $10 promotional from GH5 I bought it came to 21.08. Nice!

They should just tie peoples ECA account to their Amazon account and do away with codes. Then you won't have losers selling them on eBay, people hoarding them, and people accidentally getting 20% off because the old codes and new codes combine themselves and there is no way to remove a code from your order.

[quote name='Techsticles']They should just tie peoples ECA account to their Amazon account and do away with codes. Then you won't have losers selling them on eBay, people hoarding them, and people accidentally getting 20% off because the old codes and new codes combine themselves and there is no way to remove a code from your order.[/QUOTE]

They've supposedly been working on that for a while now. I imagine that there are likely a lot of technical obstacles to overcome with it if Amazon's system wasn't designed to do something like that in the first place. It should happen eventually, though.

I'm torn on how I feel about it, though -- it will hopefully make all of these issues go away, but on the other hand with the individual codes, I can do orders on my girlfriend's account with the discount as well (I submitted trade-ins through her during the trade-in deals, so I have credit and those promos there), and if the discount is tied into my account that won't be possible anymore.

[quote name='arcane93']They've supposedly been working on that for a while now. I imagine that there are likely a lot of technical obstacles to overcome with it if Amazon's system wasn't designed to do something like that in the first place. It should happen eventually, though.

I'm torn on how I feel about it, though -- it will hopefully make all of these issues go away, but on the other hand with the individual codes, I can do orders on my girlfriend's account with the discount as well (I submitted trade-ins through her during the trade-in deals, so I have credit and those promos there), and if the discount is tied into my account that won't be possible anymore.[/QUOTE]

Good, it will cut out people abusing promos and such. I still don't think it will happen though.

[quote name='Techsticles']They should just tie peoples ECA account to their Amazon account and do away with codes. Then you won't have losers selling them on eBay, people hoarding them, and people accidentally getting 20% off because the old codes and new codes combine themselves and there is no way to remove a code from your order.[/QUOTE]

Good idea. Hopefully this is as far as any new changes go to prevent ECA abuse.

I'm not going to complain too much since I just got Uncharted 2 in my Gold Box yesterday and used a code to pre-order it for $48.44.

But it kind of sucks that this all occurs now when my Gold Box starts churning things out. Just checked and GOW Collection for PS3 is in my GB...unfortunately there's no codes...and even if I had one or someone gave it to me...I wouldn't be able to use one because I used it yesterday for Uncharted 2.

I hope all the people hoarding/selling codes/abusing code stacks doesn't lead to Amazon squashing the promo in its entirety.

These kind of****ing people I swear...makes you want to jackboot them right in the skull. :mad:

[quote name='HockeyDOg3133']Do the codes work at all right now? I mean if I create a new Amazon account can I use 1 code?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately no...not yet. If you have used one of the newer/latest codes already, then you cannot use anymore from the latest batch on new orders. You have to wait until they release new ones.

I did hear you can use one if you create a new Amazon account. But I don't think it's worth creating a new account just to use a code once. Like your prior account...use it once...and your in the same situation.

This whole thing just became a huge mess.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']
I hope all the people hoarding/selling codes/abusing code stacks doesn't lead to Amazon squashing the promo in its entirety. [/QUOTE]
Yeah, this is the part that annoys me most. Give a douche an inch and he'll take a mile.

Really frustrating when you see people giving their extra codes away that they can't use... so you just proved you're hoarding. Good job.... :applause: Thanks for ruining it for everyone.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Taking a few extra =/= hoarding especially when the intention is to use them for ourselves.[/QUOTE]
There isn't a need to take any extra, even for yourself. You get a code, order a game, get a new code, order a game. I don't see where "Let me copy and paste these codes into a document and keep hitting the link a few extra times" without ordering anything isn't considered hoarding.

[quote name='jacknicklson']I still have 3 of the one per account codes from the last batch for any paid member interested[/QUOTE]
The codes from the last batch that I saved are no longer valid, so I'd be surprised if yours work anymore.

[quote name='Snap']Really frustrating when you see people giving their extra codes away that they can't use... so you just proved you're hoarding. Good job.... :applause: Thanks for ruining it for everyone.[/QUOTE]

Oh, give me a fucking break. I offered up two codes, some other guy offered up three -- it's not like we were "hoarding" massive numbers. And I can't speak for him, but mine were set aside for specific orders that I intended to make in the next couple of days, because I misunderstood the problem and thought it was one per day, not one ever. Why don't you go cry like a little bitch some more?

[quote name='Snap']There isn't a need to take any extra, even for yourself. You get a code, order a game, get a new code, order a game. I don't see where "Let me copy and paste these codes into a document and keep hitting the link a few extra times" without ordering anything isn't considered hoarding.[/QUOTE]

Actually there is a need to take more than one code in order to get what we paid for. ECA is always running out of codes and it takes days for them to restock, now with them giving away thousands of free memberships saving a few is the only way to get the discount. I find the entire concept of a 501(c)(4) to represent video gamers pretty comical and they would have next to no members to pay the salaries of their exec's and staff without this deal that that was advertised from day one to paying members. I would venture to guess 95-99 percent of paying members joined for 1 reason, the amazon codes. I love how people throw around terms like "hoarding", I attempted to save a few extra codes for myself in order to by more games for myself, I'm sure Amazon would be more than pleased to have my added business that results.

[quote name='arcane93']Oh, give me a fucking break. I offered up two codes, some other guy offered up three -- it's not like we were "hoarding" massive numbers. And I can't speak for him, but mine were set aside for specific orders that I intended to make in the next couple of days, because I misunderstood the problem and thought it was one per day, not one ever. Why don't you go cry like a little bitch some more?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it just makes NO fuckING SENSE. You're not doing anyone a service. You're taking more codes than you need, you're only allowed one per batch...so you end up giving the ones you hoarded to random people. How is that any different than just taking 1 and letting some random person legitimately gain a code on their own from ECA?

[quote name='Snap'] Really frustrating when you see people giving their extra codes away that they can't use... so you just proved you're hoarding. Good job.... :applause: Thanks for ruining it for everyone.[/QUOTE]

Grow the fuck up. Too bad you were too late. Even if I had an extra and was offering them. You wouldn't get one from me just because of your attitude.

[quote name='arcane93']Oh, give me a fucking break. I offered up two codes, some other guy offered up three -- it's not like we were "hoarding" massive numbers. And I can't speak for him, but mine were set aside for specific orders that I intended to make in the next couple of days, because I misunderstood the problem and thought it was one per day, not one ever. Why don't you go cry like a little bitch some more?[/QUOTE]

Mine were also set aside for pre-orders. I'm not taking the time (nor wasting the energy) to create a new Amazon account to save $5 dollars. I have prime and that's more beneficial to me instead of waiting for FSSS, and watching 5 accounts just because I pre-ordered. I don't have any extra codes. I took 4 because I thought "that'll be enough for me until 9/30." Guess what?!? I could only use 1. So being the nice guy I am I offered the remainders to CAGs.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']Yeah, but it just makes NO fuckING SENSE. You're not doing anyone a service. You're taking more codes than you need, you're only allowed one per batch...so you end up giving the ones you hoarded to random people. How is that any different than just taking 1 and letting some random person legitimately gain a code on their own from ECA?[/QUOTE]

ya, the only problem is, no one, including ECA themselves(as they posted on their boards) knew they were 1 time use. All the past batches were not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back