(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vortextk']12 steps?

"I'm Rave Child, and I hoard eca codes."
"Hi Rave Child.":grouphug:

Hoard away my brethren. Seriously though, unless this is another backup stock that's only going to last 12 hours, they're getting faster and faster with this.[/QUOTE]
Well, I've gotta make sure I get my money worth, haha. I won't mind sharing them with fellow paying members in the event of another shortage.

[quote name='Rave Child']I won't mind sharing them with fellow paying members in the event of another shortage.[/QUOTE]

How would you prove someone has paid up? I know I have, but I actually also made a free account so I can cover the last weeks next year that the other account expires.

[quote name='Jodou']Unless they recently changed this, that is not true. Once you lock in the discount, a price drop should not lower it. However, a gold box discount does recalculate.[/QUOTE]

It's absolutely true.

I pre-ordered Scribblenauts for $28.99 with a Personal Gold Box and ECA discounts. Release day they dropped it to $27.99. I e-mailed customer service and they adjusted the base price to the lower $27.99 since my game hadn't shipped yet. That in turn decreased my ECA discounts and my Gold Box discount.

And I'm not sure logically why anyone thinks they'd let you keep your percentage discounts from a higher base price and just deduct price difference between the old base price and the new one. If any Amazon CS rep did that - the customer got lucky. That's just stupid. ECA discounts are based on a percentage, not a set dollar amount, and same for Gold Box (5% I believe?).

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']hey anyone know if the new codes are one time use per account again or are these back to normal codes?[/QUOTE]

Normal.

[quote name='kodave']I pre-ordered Scribblenauts for $28.99 with a Personal Gold Box and ECA discounts. Release day they dropped it to $27.99. I e-mailed customer service and they adjusted the base price to the lower $27.99 since my game hadn't shipped yet. That in turn decreased my ECA discounts and my Gold Box discount.[/QUOTE]
See, that's a different scenario than the automated price adjust. I pretty sure if it's an automatic change, it doesn't recalculate the discount.

I think they put a limit on how many codes you can horde in one day. I only took around 10 or so (im a paid member so you can honestly kiss my ass if you complain about me saving some) but it eventually said "Unable to get offer code. Please wait one day to get a new offer code." Anyone else receive this?

I only generated 1 code today as a paying member and after I generated 1 code, it's telling me that I have to wait one day to generate the next one. (I even used the code I generated)

[quote name='JohnDoeHoe']So you tried to get more than 10 codes? And you're a paid member, but just signed up here this month. But you signed up with ECA before signing up here? Sure that's believable. How'd you hear about it?Kiss your ass? Don't expect anyone to do that, loser.[/QUOTE]

I signed up to ECA a week before they made it free...I also signed up to the forum maybe a week before I signed up for ECA... how is that not believable?

[quote name='karaethon']I only generated 1 code today as a paying member and after I generated 1 code, it's telling me that I have to wait one day to generate the next one. (I even used the code I generated)[/QUOTE]

Well, it wasn't like that 4 hours ago, but if so, fantastic, i'm glad they did that. Since you can buy multiple games with the same code NO ONE should need to use more than one per day.

This way the codes will actually last awhile instead of being hoovered up by entitled assholes.

Edit: Yeah, I don't see what you're seeing. I just went back to the eca website and was able to generate a few without incident. No clue.

[quote name='Jodou']See, that's a different scenario than the automated price adjust. I pretty sure if it's an automatic change, it doesn't recalculate the discount.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, you are wrong. Anytime the base price of the game changes, so too does your ECA discount. I've frequently had games drop $3 a few days before release and the total really only drops by $2.70 since I lost the extra 10% on the $3 that isn't part of the price anymore. Not a huge difference, but a difference nonetheless.

[quote name='buckythekat']it'll adjust to whatever the lowest price is

so if they drop it eventually to $56.99 like a lot of preorders on Amazon end up at you'll get $5.70 off instead of $6[/QUOTE]

Only semi-related, but -- I actually have a pre-order that adjusted, and the total on the order is now showing as "$-1.20" (because I had used Amazon gift card credit to pay for the order). Anyone ever have that happen, and more importantly, know how/when that'll get credited back to my account? Do I need to contact them?

[quote name='Vortextk']You don't get it till the item ships I think, which can suck for a pre-order months to a year away.[/QUOTE]

Ugh. Well, this is for Demon's Souls, so at least it's not too far off.

Atleast you can apply gift card credit to any order already placed. I'll be getting 10$ promos for kingdom hearts and assassin's creed II, but with like everything I want ordered already...literally, everything..I'll just have to use them on a good black friday deal or something.

[quote name='Vortextk']Atleast you can apply gift card credit to any order already placed. I'll be getting 10$ promos for kingdom hearts and assassin's creed II, but with like everything I want ordered already...literally, everything..I'll just have to use them on a good black friday deal or something.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Same here. I guess I'm getting $10 with Kingdom Hearts DS and I'm not sure what I'll use it on but I'm sure I'll find something eventually.

What this Amazon + ECA + trade-in stuff (both the credit and the $30 promo codes which I still have) is making me do is buy games at "full" price that I would have normally waited a year or two on and gotten when they were on clearance. Given that I still have about 4 more $30 codes and I'm really running out of things to order I may go for stuff like Mass Effect 2 and the new Ratchet & Clank - both games I definitely would have waited on before. That, in turn, will make me play those games right away so I feel like I got my money's worth (even though I'd be getting them pretty cheap).

Oh well, it's a nice problem to have. I also finally bit on FF XIII for $17.99 in trade-in credit (ECA + $30 code). I was tired of waiting for that one to show up in my gold box quick picks.

As for the last 3-4 pages, I've had to do some cleanup. Remember when I said to cut out the bickering? I really hate to do this, but there may be some temp bans coming if it keeps up.

I definitely think the ECA Amazon discount needs to win some kind of award this year. In the time I've spent at CAG, I've ever seen a deal so loved and so hated at the same time.

Well, I can tell you this, I was never really paid attention to the "online retailer of the year" Cheapy award because I never really bought much online besides the occasional Amazon DotD. But hands down Amazon gets the award this year - not even sure who there is to compete with them :lol:.

As for best deal, though, that's a tough one. The Amazon trade-in promotions were tops in my book, followed closely by the HWV $4.99 sale, maybe some of the GS trade-in deals, and then probably the ECA discount (if you can even consider it a "deal").

[quote name='io']What this Amazon + ECA + trade-in stuff (both the credit and the $30 promo codes which I still have) is making me do is buy games at "full" price that I would have normally waited a year or two on and gotten when they were on clearance.[/QUOTE]

Same here, although I didn't get in on the $30 trade-in deal (had nothing really to trade at that time).

[quote name='io']That, in turn, will make me play those games right away so I feel like I got my money's worth (even though I'd be getting them pretty cheap).[/QUOTE]

Same here as I was just thinking about this yesterday. As soon as I get each one of these games in, I'm dropping every other game I'm playing. Of course this is going to be a little hard coming up as I'm getting demon's souls, and then a week later both magna carta 2 and brutal legend. Though for some of them like FFXIIIvs, I still have plenty of time to wait, heh.

Anyone tried to see if the 24 hour thing is in place on Amazon? I always generated codes as needed, but if this 24 hour block is true I will generate one extra to hold on to each time I use a previous one.

Well, I guess I could, but I already put in my GB pre-order order, logged out, and about to go back to work :)

The wording of the 24 hour thing seems like an ECA limit (i.e. you can only download one code every 24 hours), but I'm not planning to test it until I need to.

[quote name='io']:lol: Same here. I guess I'm getting $10 with Kingdom Hearts DS and I'm not sure what I'll use it on but I'm sure I'll find something eventually.

What this Amazon + ECA + trade-in stuff (both the credit and the $30 promo codes which I still have) is making me do is buy games at "full" price that I would have normally waited a year or two on and gotten when they were on clearance. Given that I still have about 4 more $30 codes and I'm really running out of things to order I may go for stuff like Mass Effect 2 and the new Ratchet & Clank - both games I definitely would have waited on before. That, in turn, will make me play those games right away so I feel like I got my money's worth (even though I'd be getting them pretty cheap).

Oh well, it's a nice problem to have. I also finally bit on FF XIII for $17.99 in trade-in credit (ECA + $30 code). I was tired of waiting for that one to show up in my gold box quick picks.

As for the last 3-4 pages, I've had to do some cleanup. Remember when I said to cut out the bickering? I really hate to do this, but there may be some temp bans coming if it keeps up.[/QUOTE]

I think the moral of the story would be this:

It's good for game developers, it's good for Amazon, but it's even better for you :lol:

I generated multiple codes and just reordered all my current orders without discounts at amazon with no problem. (total of 3 orders)

Perhaps the trial accounts are being limited to one per day and paid are unlimited? This would definitely be a step in the right direction until we have multi-use codes.

[quote name='Jodou']Perhaps the trial accounts are being limited to one per day and paid are unlimited? This would definitely be a step in the right direction until we have multi-use codes.[/QUOTE]

nope im on a trial account.

Triz, why didn't you use one code for all your re-orders.

What a waste. They need to update the site to reflect that the codes are not one per game, but can be applied to an entire order

Man that extra 25 cents you would've got off, would've been really worthy of using a code that's in short supply. It's like filling your pool during a drought, in the fall.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Triz, why didn't you use one code for all your re-orders.

What a waste. They need to update the site to reflect that the codes are not one per game, but can be applied to an entire order[/QUOTE]

I was not aware...thanks for the heads up as Ill do that next time.

[quote name='Triz']nope im on a trial account.[/QUOTE]
:\

Oh well, guess it was wishful thinking that ECA would actually do something smart.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Triz, why didn't you use one code for all your re-orders.

What a waste. They need to update the site to reflect that the codes are not one per game, but can be applied to an entire order[/QUOTE]

Maybe he used different codes for different orders to take advantage of the free shipping and didn't want to wait until all the orders were ready to be shipped.

I just used multiple codes on multiple orders...I didn't feel like waiting for one of my pre-orders to ship in November when it's released in October...why would anyone?

Why the hate on trial accounts...I thought this was CAG...bitter much?

I'm actually splitting up my orders since I have prime. If you have a bundled order (in the case of Scribblenauts for me) you aren't eligible for release day shipping should it become available.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I'm actually splitting up my orders since I have prime. If I have a bundled order (in the case of Scribblenauts) you aren't eligible for release day shipping should it become available.[/QUOTE]
This. What a horrible bug for two release date shipping items to cancel each other out and leave you with 2-day shipping as the only option. I had the exact same problem with Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls.

[quote name='Muthafodder']Maybe he used different codes for different orders to take advantage of the free shipping and didn't want to wait until all the orders were ready to be shipped.

I just used multiple codes on multiple orders...I didn't feel like waiting for one of my pre-orders to ship in November when it's released in October...why would anyone?

Why the hate on trial accounts...I thought this was CAG...bitter much?[/QUOTE]

If both games were priced high enough for free shipping to warrant separate orders then you could have selected "Ship my items when they become available"

And I didn't even bring up free vs paid membership. No one should be wasting codes.

The release date thing is a perfect reason to have to use extra codes because it's a flaw with Amazon's system so that makes sense.

[quote name='Muthafodder']Maybe he used different codes for different orders to take advantage of the free shipping and didn't want to wait until all the orders were ready to be shipped.

I just used multiple codes on multiple orders...I didn't feel like waiting for one of my pre-orders to ship in November when it's released in October...why would anyone?[/QUOTE]

I thought the same too, when I just had demon's souls + brutal legend ordered, I remember it being released together. Maybe I was wrong though because now I have an order of 9 games + a set of real triggers, and everything is shipping to me seperately USING fsss. They all had ship dates of a week after release. Of course that's when I remembered I could gift prime from another account and changed everything to free 2 day shipping with prime :bouncy:

The real triggers went to "Shipping soon" with the fsss still so it's taking forever for them to even go out, estimated 21st.

*Edit* and to clarify, it's still actually under "as few shipments as possible", but it says minimum of 9 shipments for my remaining 9 games. I changed it to as they are made available incase there were any problems but that increased the cost by 30 bucks(prime is working screwy with this order since the real triggers are technically fsss) so I changed it back.

[quote name='jacknicklson']And I didn't even bring up free vs paid membership. No one should be wasting codes.[/QUOTE]

That wasn't directed at you...this bickering about "I paid for my membership...I should get handouts before anyone else...yada...yada...yada" Has gotten old and has turned this thread into complete ass. I mean Jeezuz...judging other CAG members because you paid for something others didn't...wah...cry me a river!!

I wish a new thread could be made and locked with only the OP updating the status of code availability. This whole thread has about 3 useful posts.

[quote name='doodofdoods']As far as I know Amazon will update your order to release day shipping if you're a prime member. They've never failed to do it for me so far.[/QUOTE]

Only if its the only item in your order. At least, in my experience

Can you have the free prime membership on mulitple amazon accounts or do they track it by credit card, address, name, etc.? It is showing that I can get it on my other amazon accounts which i haven't used the free trial prime memebership on.

My other account is my mom's account, though my name is on it as a shipping address(and I still live at home anyway) and I've used one or two of my credit cards on it as well. I got prime on it, and gifted it to my personal account which has already used the trial before, and I had absolutely no problems.

So I'm not sure if I'm going to get an e-mail saying they're revoking it tomorrow or something, but nothing so far.

[quote name='Vortextk']My other account is my mom's account, though my name is on it as a shipping address(and I still live at home anyway) and I've used one or two of my credit cards on it as well. I got prime on it, and gifted it to my personal account which has already used the trial before, and I had absolutely no problems.

So I'm not sure if I'm going to get an e-mail saying they're revoking it tomorrow or something, but nothing so far.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, cool. I just finally got Uncharted 2 for $48.44 as I have ordered it like 4 times already(cancelling it to get it cheaper) LOL and I want to make sure to get it 2 days after release. I might still pick it up at a B&M store though first to play it day one and return the Amazon copy to the B&M when I receive it. Well I think I can wait 2 days though even for my most anticipated game. I have like 7 amazon accounts so I can increase my chances of getting things in my gold box. Man another great review for Uncharted 2. This is getting harder and harder to not just buy it first. Another 10/10 review.

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/uncha...-2009091875511998094/g-200812159395546092/p-3

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you OP! I got 6.00 off of my ODST game, along with the 15 dollar credit on a future game purchase (read: L4D2). The discount covered my release day delivery option. Don't have the $$ to shell out for Amazon prime, and I already used the trial. =[ Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back