(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ They took them down because people were abusing them. So they are working on giving out unique, multi-use codes, which it should have been from the beginning IMO!

[quote name='slowdive21']Most retail outlets will not keep a product on hand that have less than an 8% mark up as a general rule of thumb. [/QUOTE]

You're right.

But from what I hear, Amazon usually doesn't stock anything. They drop-ship from regional distribution centers (ex. Ingram) around the country.

My guess (and this is pure conjecture, but based upon experience in the supply chain industry) that they have a tiered cost structure for most media products.

For example, if they sell 1-999 of something, their cost is X, if they sell 1000-4999, their cost is Y, and if they sell 5000+, their cost is Z, and so on.

I'm just plugging in #'s for example, but you get the point. This is why when an item goes on sale, it really doesn't hurt them in the wallet because they're making the same margin due to the increase in sales on discounted items.

Does anyone know whether your ECA codes are still saved if you cancel a preorder that used it? (and no, I'm not talking about double or triple stacking).

where would you find a code if you had one? I remember i got one from the eca, it was posted on my eca account for awhile, but now its gone. I tried to use it on a memory card on amazon (for gamecube) but it didnt work. People are still able to access old codes somehow. I feel this code must be somewhere lying around for me, as i never used it.

any help?

[quote name='the_grimace']where would you find a code if you had one? I remember i got one from the eca, it was posted on my eca account for awhile, but now its gone. I tried to use it on a memory card on amazon (for gamecube) but it didnt work. People are still able to access old codes somehow. I feel this code must be somewhere lying around for me, as i never used it.

any help?[/QUOTE]
Once you're logged in, there's a yellow box on the left side with a 'View Members Area' link. Once you click that it has the list of stores/sites with benefits. The code would be at the bottom of the Amazon box, just under "The codes are good for one use per member per code per 24 hour period"

The people still using a code either saved them up from the old batches, or has a code applied that seems to be permanent. I'm not sure how those work but I still have one applied too. *shrug*

[quote name='stupidxaznxboi']Ugh, I hate that I actually paid for this.[/QUOTE]

Jeez just be patient. Though Uncharted is calling my name

[quote name='Sylin']You're right.

But from what I hear, Amazon usually doesn't stock anything. They drop-ship from regional distribution centers (ex. Ingram) around the country.

My guess (and this is pure conjecture, but based upon experience in the supply chain industry) that they have a tiered cost structure for most media products.

For example, if they sell 1-999 of something, their cost is X, if they sell 1000-4999, their cost is Y, and if they sell 5000+, their cost is Z, and so on.

I'm just plugging in #'s for example, but you get the point. This is why when an item goes on sale, it really doesn't hurt them in the wallet because they're making the same margin due to the increase in sales on discounted items.[/QUOTE]

My cousin use to work in one of amazons warehouses in Delaware.. They definitely stock a ton of stuff according to him.. Have no idea what type of prices they pay but they have an insane amount of stock scattered in all of there warehouses around the US. Its possible they do some dropshipping but majority if it is in their warehouse stocked for shipment.

[quote name='buckythekat']there are reports apparently of people saying the second 10% off is disappearing from their accounts on Amazon[/QUOTE]

i can confirm this...i decided to buy a few games an hour too late and noticed it was gone.

damnit

Which second 10%? You mean if you have old 'L' and 'J' codes one of them is gone now? Hmmm - need to know if this happens when you cancel an old preorder as well!

[quote name='blackwaltz34']i can confirm this...i decided to buy a few games an hour too late and noticed it was gone.

damnit[/QUOTE]

Yep, same here. Was gonna stack the 10% on top of the B2G1 sale but now I'm out of luck. Hopefully they'll reinstate the codes before this sale ends. Would've been a great deal on 3 DS games and now I'm slapping myself for missing out on it.

[quote name='io']Which second 10%? You mean if you have old 'L' and 'J' codes one of them is gone now? Hmmm - need to know if this happens when you cancel an old preorder as well![/QUOTE]

i think the L code disappeared. i still have my J code saved in a text file and i entered it in again on amazon and the "code has already been redeemed" message pops up.

to be on the safe side, i wouldnt cancel any pre-orders with stacked codes.

[quote name='blackwaltz34']i think the L code disappeared. i still have my J code saved in a text file and i entered it in again on amazon and the "code has already been redeemed" message pops up.

to be on the safe side, i wouldnt cancel any pre-orders with stacked codes.[/QUOTE]

Yep, will definitely hold off. And I was about to do so :cry:. Though I'm glad I saved what I have because I kind of like the preorders I currently have in place though I could have made better use of the ECA codes with the B2G1 plus some other stuff I wanted to buy. Oh well...

I do have a 'J' code currently sitting in my account and it is still good though.

[quote name='blackwaltz34']i can confirm this...i decided to buy a few games an hour too late and noticed it was gone.

damnit[/QUOTE]

Glad I put in my order then instead of thinking over it for another hour or two. Infamous, prototype and star ocean for 55 after double eca and 15$ credit from brutal legend/uncharted.

[quote name='blackwaltz34']i think the L code disappeared. i still have my J code saved in a text file and i entered it in again on amazon and the "code has already been redeemed" message pops up.
[/QUOTE]

I dug up an old 'L' code I had used before and it says the same thing. Note that I also dug up a '6' code I had used before and IT said the same thing. So if the code has been used it just tells you that even if it is expired anyway. But we know the '6' codes don't work any more (and just to be sure I applied another I hadn't used and got the "offer expired" notice). So I guess what I'm saying is there's nothing conclusive about that message either way.

However, if you are sure you had 'L' and 'J' codes in there before and when you cancelled you didn't get both back then that is enough for me to proceed with caution ;).

My wild speculation of the day: Amazon/ECA comes back using 'J' codes and that is all they generate from now on - stacking problem solved. I'm really surprised it took so long for them to figure this out. In fact, they never should have generated anything but 'L' codes originally and none of this would have ever happened. They bit themselves in the ass by making that stupid Sept. 30th expiration date thus requiring newer batches to be differentiated. Had they just made the original ECA codes good at least till the end of the year and then kept making more of the same this never would have happened. Penny-wise, pound foolish, or something like that. Meh, whatever...

it seems weird that codes already applied to your account would disappear like that

what about those people that still had 50% off codes?

I know Amazon was upset over stacking but this feels a little cheap in a way

edit: weird, since when did the Dragon Age: CE go to notify when it's available for purchase? not sold out but as if it was never available to begin with

50% codes were working in september, from what I hear, but since october they officially expired even if they were in your cart. I don't know why them fixing the codes feels cheap...? I certainly am not complaining about them closing a loophole, though I did take advantage of it so I'm not in the position to anyway. If someone lost the only eca coupon they had in their cart I guess that would suck, kind of stupid they chose to get rid of the newest set of codes first instead of making the other two stacking batches expire or whatever they're doing.

[quote name='buckythekat']weird, since when did the Dragon Age: CE go to notify when it's available for purchase? not sold out but as if it was never available to begin with[/QUOTE]
I think Amazon stopped taking orders for DA:CEs over a week ago. Gamestop stopped about 2 or so weeks ago.
It's still available from the EAstore though.

the fact that they magically figured out how to stop the stacking codes when the b2g1 started really makes me wonder if they weren't allowing people to keep them for sales. No I'm not trying to justify it, but it does seem like a pretty big coincidence.

[quote name='horriblehager']Can someone PM me a code they have sitting around for ECA on AMAZON. Wanna save some money on Buy 2 get 1 on amazon![/QUOTE]

OP's first sentence is:
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

:wave:

Also, codes don't work anymore.

Can someone remind me what the old codes started with? I know there were L codes but were there also codes that started with 66Z? I saved a bunch of codes from my amazon trade in promos on a word document with two other random codes but I'm not sure if this 66z thing is an eca code or not. Thanks.

I only had one ECA code sitting in my account and it's gone now. I think they're going back and getting rid of all ECA codes before the new ones show up so stacking can't occur.

[quote name='SSJMies']I only had one ECA code sitting in my account and it's gone now. I think they're going back and getting rid of all ECA codes before the new ones show up so stacking can't occur.[/QUOTE]

The code I have in my cart is still active. It was a "J" code so, like others have said, maybe those are the only ones that now work.

Damn, I was considering canceling one last 3x ECA order for a 2010 game to do a 2x ECA order on something else.

[quote name='bgame2']Can someone remind me what the old codes started with? I know there were L codes but were there also codes that started with 66Z? I saved a bunch of codes from my amazon trade in promos on a word document with two other random codes but I'm not sure if this 66z thing is an eca code or not. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

There were "L" codes, which were followed by "J" codes. The most recent batch all started w/ "66" but they have all been expired as far as I know.

I know its been known for a while but I can confirm that L codes have been expired. I had 1 saved and tried to add it but it didnt work. Only J codes are alive as of now.

I hate not having codes available, Finally got New Super Mario Bros Wii in my gold box, and I cannot take advantage of it because I'm lacking ECA codes.... GAH!!!

i remember putting 3-4 ECA J codes last month and never used it.
so, if i place an order from amazon with the 10% discount, do I get another 10% for future orders?

Not that its worth much, but GypsyFly PMS just updated the post at the ECA forums with:

UPDATE 4)Sorry, no updates from Amazon yet. Will update here when there is.

[quote name='yzass69']Not that its worth much, but GypsyFly PMS just updated the post at the ECA forums with:

UPDATE 4)Sorry, no updates from Amazon yet. Will update here when there is.[/QUOTE]

You know, they should stop posting that they expect a reply tomorrow when they don't really expect one. Doesn't help with the expectations management portion

[quote name='dannyc']You know, they should stop posting that they expect a reply tomorrow when they don't really expect one. Doesn't help with the expectations management portion[/QUOTE]

I appears that they did just that - they said they'd update whenever they get news from Amazon. Happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back