Free game rental at Gamestop (kind of)

Duck in a Pond

CAGiversary!
Lately, i've been buying used games from gamestop and getting bored of them after a week and returning them.

Then i realized, this is the same thing as renting a game for free!

So far i've done this four times in the past month. Is there any limit to doing this? Can you actually get in trouble.?

I know its a bit unethical, but times are tough, and the unemployment check doesn't pay much.

Tell me what you think, and tell me if its legal.

I think this has been posted a lot lol. It is completely legal, but the store manager may not like it, and can refuse service to you. You can't get arrested or anything, but they can probably flag you as a customer. I would switch up gamestops if I were you. Or why not get gamefly?

[quote name='punklivz']I think this has been posted a lot lol. It is completely legal, but the store manager may not like it, and can refuse service to you. You can't get arrested or anything, but they can probably flag you as a customer. I would switch up gamestops if I were you. Or why not get gamefly?[/QUOTE]

Ya, i ment to say that I have a 3 gamestop system that keeps my strategy fresh. And gamefly is pretty dang expensive for me.

[quote name='Duck in a Pond']Ya, i ment to say that I have a 3 gamestop system that keeps my strategy fresh. And gamefly is pretty dang expensive for me.[/QUOTE]

you know they can look up what you did at other store right?

If GS ends their 7 day return policy, it'll be because of people like you OP. It's a great policy, don't abuse it.

I had a friend who used to do this all the time, across multiple stores as well, the manager eventually told him "we're not a rental service, this is the last return I will allow from you in this store and I'm notifying the others."

[quote name='dannyox718']um, time you have to play video games and running to multiple GS = time you should be spending looking for a job???[/QUOTE]

What he said!

I'm sorry that times are so tough, playing video games all day sounds real hard. Why not just do gamefly? For one thing, you haven't actually had a free rental yet... I don't know how much you've paid for these games but if they are newer releases then you've got $50 "on hold" until you decide to quit "renting", (or more likely when they ban you from doing any more returns).

op i wont go off on you sice ive done that before but that was when i was in high school and i was cool with one of the guys at the ebgames store but what youre doing , though not illegal, is wrong and more than that why are you bragging about it?

if you cant aford to buy and keep a game why not just sign up for a rental service or you can trade games with cags here. sooner or later your luck will run out and youll be banned from all gamestop then what will you do?

Why rip on the guy for taking full advantage of a corporate policy. It would be entirely different if someone only bought the DLC discs like Borderlands, Oblivion or Fallout 3 installed them and then returned those discs. Playing a game for a week, then returning them for a full refund? Nothing wrong with that. Especially if the game is one you wanted to try first, and then just didn't like it. I picked up Alan Wake used just so I can try it. I'm planning on returning it after the 3-day weekend.

[quote name='shajek']Why rip on the guy for taking full advantage of a corporate policy. [/quote]
Because corporate policies can change if they're abused. Plus I think most of the "ripping" is centered around the guy bemoaning his low unemployment check while he sits around playing games.

Especially if the game is one you wanted to try first, and then just didn't like it. I picked up Alan Wake used just so I can try it. I'm planning on returning it after the 3-day weekend.
What's the point of the first sentence, when you then say that you're going to return the game anyways in the second sentence? "I'm going to take a karate class in case I need to defend myself... oh by the way I'm going to judo kick someone next week."

fuck all you guys. Who the fuck cares about me taking advantage of a billion dollar company? btw i'm 16 and I didn't mean unemployment literally. Its more like coinstar money. fuck

[quote name='Duck in a Pond']fuck all you guys. Who the fuck cares about me taking advantage of a billion dollar company? btw i'm 16 and I didn't mean unemployment literally. Its more like coinstar money. fuck[/QUOTE]

Shocking.

I know its a bit unethical, but times are tough, and the unemployment check doesn't pay much.

I didn't mean unemployment literally. Its more like coinstar money

Then don't use the word unemployment. You should instead say "My parents don't give me a big enough allowance"... words like "unemployment" are for adults, not you.

Tell me what you think, and tell me if its legal.

fuck all you guys. Who the fuck cares about me taking advantage of a billion dollar company?

Apparently you care, or else you wouldn't have made the thread asking if it was legal. Then you ask for what the people think, but tell them to fuck off when they give you answers that aren't what you expected.

[quote name='shajek']Why rip on the guy for taking full advantage of a corporate policy. It would be entirely different if someone only bought the DLC discs like Borderlands, Oblivion or Fallout 3 installed them and then returned those discs. Playing a game for a week, then returning them for a full refund? Nothing wrong with that. Especially if the game is one you wanted to try first, and then just didn't like it. I picked up Alan Wake used just so I can try it. I'm planning on returning it after the 3-day weekend.[/QUOTE]

The policy is you can return it if you legit don't like it, not "hey, here's everything for free." That's what libraries are for. There will come a time where they cut you off or even axe the policy altogether and then those of us who use it properly lose because some people can't handle the idea of not abusing the hell out of it.

[quote name='Duck in a Pond']fuck all you guys. Who the fuck cares about me taking advantage of a billion dollar company? btw i'm 16 and I didn't mean unemployment literally. Its more like coinstar money. fuck[/QUOTE]

You're exactly right, so stop posting stupid threads about it like you're the first person to ever figure it out. And don't get mad at us when you ask our opinion and our opinion is that you're a douchebag.

[quote name='shajek']Why rip on the guy for taking full advantage of a corporate policy.[/QUOTE]
Every time somebody says something like this, I think of how I could still be getting 20% off all of my gaming purchases from Amazon.

[quote name='duck in a pond']fuck all you guys. Who the fuck cares about me taking advantage of a billion dollar company? Btw i'm 16 and i didn't mean unemployment literally. Its more like coinstar money. fuck[/quote]

Ho ho, you mad kid?

Really though? Can people just enjoy things with some modesty? Go mow some lawns kid, and then you'll have enough money to afford Gamefly.

Very mature.

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']Really though? Can people just enjoy things with some modesty? Go mow some lawns kid, and then you'll have enough money to afford Gamefly.[/QUOTE]

That never happens...... fuck. fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

Dawg i'm just kidding. ;))))

Ahahahahahaha...

hahahahahaha

Someone just killed my family!

Well, I didn't literally mean "killed", more like "walked by".

You're 16? What the hell are you doing playing all these games in the summer? Get outside and play some tennis ball or frisbee catch.

It's not a smart thing to do IMHO; there might come the day when you want to return something for a legit reason, and like the boy who cried wolf, you'd be shit out of luck.

Where are the mods. Someone check the hall by the girl's bathroom. I think they all hang out there to smoke between classes.

[quote name='shajek']Why rip on the guy for taking full advantage of a corporate policy. It would be entirely different if someone only bought the DLC discs like Borderlands, Oblivion or Fallout 3 installed them and then returned those discs. Playing a game for a week, then returning them for a full refund? Nothing wrong with that. Especially if the game is one you wanted to try first, and then just didn't like it. I picked up Alan Wake used just so I can try it. I'm planning on returning it after the 3-day weekend.[/QUOTE]
I hate to tell you this, but people do that too.:shame:

I used to try out a game for a week, return it when I figured out I didn't like it and then grab another one for another week. It sure beat paying $8 for a week's rental from Blockbuster back in the day.

Now it's like $1 for a day for a rental from there for non new releases, so you really can't bitch about paying $1 to rent some game you wanna try for a single day.

Oh and btw, they did 'catch on' to me buying and returning a shitload of games and I was told that 'this was the last time they'd return something for me, I had to pick and a game and KEEP it'.

But since then I've done some returns to GS(usually just to circumvent a promo that bumped the TIV of X or Y game and added a nice percentage if I put the credit towards a certain game), so all's cool with me and them now(for now).

[quote name='Strell']Where are the mods. Someone check the hall by the girl's bathroom. I think they all hang out there to smoke between classes.[/QUOTE]

Wrong!

Clearly its the bathroom next to the gym, because that one has a big fan in it. So now instead of stinking up the bathroom too, only their clothes will smell like smoke. How cool and mature!

Here to add to the dogpile.

OP, why not apply at GS and then you can do this all the time.

Ah, kids these days... .Back in my day we didn't have all these new high-tech crazy rip-off ways to screw billion dollar companies. You know what we did? We made friends with the people who had or would buy the games we wanted to play and swap or rent. "Hey, Rick got the new Mario," "Radical, I'm going over to his place after school," etc....

/old dude rant

Seriously, where are the mods?

[quote name='Vinny']If GS ends their 7 day return policy, it'll be because of people like you OP. It's a great policy, don't abuse it.[/QUOTE]
I really doubt they would end the policy because it would mean that would actually have to pay people to check and make sure the used games where actually working rather than have their customers do it for them for free.

[quote name='bosspringsteen']I had a friend who used to do this all the time, across multiple stores as well, the manager eventually told him "we're not a rental service, this is the last return I will allow from you in this store and I'm notifying the others."[/QUOTE]

"We're not a rental service." Thats what the guy said to me when I tried this years ago. I kinda felt bad about already and then he said that and I stopped.

It messes up the Employees numbers when people return multiple games like that, each employee has a number of pre orders and subs they need to achieve each month in order to get priority for hours. Its not like your hurting Gamestop but the employees that get paid minimum wage who have to deal with people abusing the system is what I hate the most.

Don't do it for there sake, nobody who's worked there wants to be there in life.

Speaking slightly off topic, when will libraries start carrying video games? I know some may see this as a sign of the apocalypse, but all my local libraries have carried audio CDs for years and even relatively newish DVDs. When will Mario be available to borrow from my local library?

[quote name='Frankski']Speaking slightly off topic, when will libraries start carrying video games? I know some may see this as a sign of the apocalypse, but all my local libraries have carried audio CDs for years and even relatively newish DVDs. When will Mario be available to borrow from my local library?[/QUOTE]
Some libraries in big cities do carry console games. My local library has been carrying PC games as long as I can remember. I just wish they'd make the jump to console ames already... There's only so much Nancy Drew I can play.

My local library has rented games since gaming existed it seems. they have games from every console, Classic NES to 360.

$2 for 4 nights. I reserved Alan Wake online, they had it waiting for me less than 2 weeks after I reserved it.

I know the op doesn't care about other people's quality of life because he's a 16 year old selfish twat, but I imagine those returns hurt the employees numbers and could get them in trouble with a manager or affect their hours they're given per week. So yes, faceless, billion dollar corporation and such, but there are individuals who you could be harming as well.

[quote name='eastshore4']Someone just killed my family!

Well, I didn't literally mean "killed", more like "walked by".

You're 16? What the hell are you doing playing all these games in the summer? Get outside and play some tennis ball or frisbee catch.[/QUOTE]

"Tennis ball" and "frisbee catch", really? Those are the two outdoor activities you recommend for him?

Also, I envy anyone who has a library that has video games.

Abuse of the policy may get you banned from any establishment,if you abuse it.I only do it if i don't like the game after i have tried it or if its a older game i want to beat just to get it over with.(Ex. as a prequel to a upcoming game or just a game i have never got to). All in all, once in a while is fine. I am sure we are all guilty of it,but its not a rental service(I Don't Blame them either i would be pissed being a employee seeing some F**king DeadBeat come in every F**King week, after a while id refuse service too, I mean come on) Perhaps it's their fault because they always promote buying used with the promise that you can bring it back after 7 days if you don't like it or BEAT IT, which trigger opportunistic leeches. (At least at the Gamestops i have been to, that is what i always hear tellers say to my myself and other customers) I state this not to offend you or tell you what you should do, but odds are if you continue your luck will run out. Do what you want, if your getting away with it good for you, but i wouldn't promote it and if money is a issue definitely go the trading route. I trade with personal friends all the time or i resell on ebay and as much as people don't want to believe it Gamestop does have great trade-in promos once in a while. We are all cheap ass's here for a reason. lol

bread's done
Back