Free HD rental through VUDU / PS3

denze

CAGiversary!
VUDU is offering one free HD movie rental through their service via your Playstation 3.
Only requirement is a valid email address. Download the "VUDU" client from the PSN store.

Not working for me. I enter my email and it does nothing, and it's not showing up in the regular OR spam folder.

The app is very nice. Love the RT and Wikipedia integration. 1080P streams nicely over my WiFi too. The quality looked as good as my blu-rays from the few previews I looked at.

I'm surprised Sony added this since it seems like a direct competitor to their own rental service. It tops it in many ways too in fact. They even have the Criterion Collection on Vudu!

[quote name='basilofbkrst']Did you enter your PS3 account email or a different email?[/QUOTE]

both of them. My main and alternate.

Just watched kiss kiss bang bang in hdx. Video and audio is very good. No macro blocking present on the video and proper 5.1 audio unlike netflix streaming. As previously stated, the sorting, filtering and wikipedia options are a good step forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mr_bungle']Not working for me. I enter my email and it does nothing, and it's not showing up in the regular OR spam folder.[/QUOTE]

I used my PSN email (not sure if it matters) although you will accredited $6.00 to your account after you enter your email address within the VUDU client (no need to perform click verification through email.) Check the bottom right corner within VUDU it should show your current balance.

On a side note, I believe this service is only available to North America users ATM

Awesome! Was bummed because my Blu-Ray drive quit, but now I can watch Scott Pilgram with the fam on turkey day! Thanks op.

Thanks OP. Pretty slick little app. Prices are basically the same as my cable's VOD, but the interface is much nicer, so maybe I'll use it occasionally (although I'm skeptical about my connection). Definitely a better selection than Netflix too. Only problem is the $1.99 Blu-ray rentals from Hastings are tough to beat, but this does appeal to laziness. ;)

[quote name='mr_bungle']both of them. My main and alternate.[/QUOTE]

There is no email sent to you. As soon as you enter your email address you get credited the 6.00. You will see it in the bottom left corner while browsing.

Great, thanks! I went ahead and downloaded the application and got my $5.99 credit. You never know when these free offers will disappear. I haven't watched anything yet but I got my free shit!

sweet, i'll get in on this for sure. pissed that I threw Comcast $6 last night to On-Demand Predators b/c the wife wanted to watch it at the last minute..oh well, better to make her happy in the end..

It seems like instead of a "one movie" credit, you get $5.99 in credit. With a little imagination you could maybe get 2 or 3 of the cheaper/on sale movies for free.

I have no idea if that will work but it might be worth it for someone.

[quote name='AoA']It seems like instead of a "one movie" credit, you get $5.99 in credit. With a little imagination you could maybe get 2 or 3 of the cheaper/on sale movies for free.

I have no idea if that will work but it might be worth it for someone.[/QUOTE]It does, I got two movies; Iron Man in HD on Friday and Goodfellas HDX when it was a dollar rental yesterday.

The free rental is cool but seriously, their fee schedule is fucked up. 5.99. Seriously? They need to get a clue. Netflix one at a time with blu ray and unlimited streaming or two movies here?

[quote name='typical guy']The free rental is cool but seriously, their fee schedule is fucked up. 5.99. Seriously? They need to get a clue. Netflix one at a time with blu ray and unlimited streaming or two movies here?[/QUOTE]

um, $5.99 is simply for the highest quality. It's as low as $2 for a rental on VUDU. Plus Netflix is hardly their primary competition here. Services like Cable PPV, Amazon VOD, CinemaNow, and even PSN's Video store are. Their pricing is as good, if not better than all of those, and their selection is also better. If you want to watch Scott Pilgrim this very instant, Netflix can't do shit for you, Vudu and others listed can.

while I agree $5.99 is too much for an HD rental, that's what other on demand services appear to offer. That's why I do $1.50 blus at Redbox!

I just stumbled across this free movie offer in the little RSS feed on the PS3 XMB. Watching an HDX movie now and it's looking pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back