Free Realms - Free to Play MMO on PSN - Out Now

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/03/11/free-realms-available-on-psn-march-29/
Well, everyone has heard about the bird…but have you heard that Free Realms is coming to the PlayStation 3?

That’s right, Sony Online Entertainment’s popular online virtual world is making its way from PC to the PS3 on March 29th! The entire Free Realms team is super excited as this will be the very first casual, free-to-play MMO ever to be offered on the PlayStation Network. So, grab your controller, grab your friends, and prepare yourself for an adventure unlike anything you’ve ever seen before.

Free Realms offers an amazing array of gameplay activities all rolled up into one massive, seamless, virtual world. Hop on the back of your trusty T-Rex and explore the countryside; discovering strange lands, rare collectibles, and exciting quests. Brave the dangers of forgotten dungeons and battle hordes of mythical monsters and bad-tempered beasties.

Fancy a bit of friendly competition? Free Realms has tons of games that allow you to pit your skill against other players. From kart racing and demolition derby, to soccer matches and pirate ship battles, Free Realms offers a wide variety of fun multiplayer games and a simple to use matchmaking interface to get you in and playing with no hassle.

Or maybe puzzles and minigames are more your thing? No problem. We got you covered. Free Realms has a wide selection of Flash-based minigames to choose from. Match 3 mining, cooking, forging, tower defense, checkers, and chess: if you’re into minigames, then Free Realms is the game for you.

Yep, we got it all. Exploration, collections, quests, combat, minigames, holiday and community events, virtual pets, virtual housing; Free Realms offers something for everyone. What’s more, our unique job system allows you to be whoever you want whenever you want. Choose from 15 different professions, each offering their own distinct look and gameplay experience. All jobs are available at any time, so feel free to try them all. Be a wizard one minute, then a ninja, chef, or kart driver the next! Customize your character as you see fit. With over 30,000 unique clothing and equipment options, you’re truly free to be who you want to be.

Did I mention that Free Realms was free? Yeah, I said it…free. Don’t believe me? Well, try it yourself. On March 29th, download Free Realms for free from the PlayStation Store and immerse yourself in a rich fantasy world perfect for sharing with family and friends. All jobs are available through level 4, as well as over 800 quests and countless minigames. Upgrade to a membership and get unlimited access to all job levels, as well as additional premium content and features.

So, mark it down on your calendar. March 29, 2011. Free Realms. PS3.

Come be a part of a whole new online gaming experience for the PlayStation 3, in a world where YOU RULE!
FAQ

Q: Is it completely free or is there stuff that requires money?
A: It seems like you can play a majority of the game's content for free, but they offer a paid subscription for $4.99/month or a lifetime subscription for $34.99 with some three and six month packages somewhere between those prizes. The premium membership gets some some extra items, quests, a house, and full access to the jobs.

Q: Will there be cross-platform compatibility with the PC version?
A: No. Due to the lack of compatability between SOE's Station accounts, its PC servers, and PSN, you will start from scratch with this version of the game.

Q: Will Free Realms have trophies?
A: Yes, it has 46 trophies, including a platinum. They're unfortunately exclusive to paid members. I'll post a link to the trophy list when it appears.

Q: Will I get any bonuses as a PS+ member?
A: Nothing is concrete yet, but they're looking into offering PS+ members some special items. I don't foresee any upgrades to the premium membership.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally forgot about Free Realms coming to the PS3. I remember being in the closed PC beta for it a few years ago. I did try the full release when it first came out and thought it was really bland; you basically go around doing quests and each quest is just a minigame. At the time it had a few job classes, but almost half required a monthly subscription to access. I remember the pet trainer job was "free" but the pets weren't and you had to actually buy them, which completely defeats the purpose of the job class being free. I haven't been on since then so a lot has probably changed. I wonder if they're still planning to have the PC and PS3 servers connect with each other.

I tried it on PC when it first came out. I enjoyed the racing, but never really came back to it. I will probably give this a try again on PS3. It might be an instance where a more streamlined interface will do some good.

Anybody on here actually try the subscription on PC?

Now for PoxNora and EverQuest II Extended.

Sony is really dropping the ball when it comes to porting their SOE free-to-plays over to the PS3.

I'm still not convinced of the viability of the $15/month model in the console space but I'd love to see how console-only players would react to the free-to-play cash shop/microtransaction model. (EverQuest II Extended being the crown jewel there but Free Realms is a start)

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']
I'm still not convinced of the viability of the $15/month model in the console space but I'd love to see how console-only players would react to the free-to-play cash shop/microtransaction model. (EverQuest II Extended being the crown jewel there but Free Realms is a start)[/QUOTE]

I agree. Im surprised theyre asking $15 for DCUO. It seems like that price is simply trying to shift PC MMOers to a console as opposed to luring console gamers into an MMO. I think at $10 a month or less Id give it a shot, thus why Ill give Free Realms a second go.

I *might* have tried DCUO for $9.99 a month...but not for $15. Honestly, I'm really surprised Sony wasn't able to work out some sort of deal for PS+ members, even $5 off would have been tempting.

[quote name='SynGamer']I *might* have tried DCUO for $9.99 a month...but not for $15. Honestly, I'm really surprised Sony wasn't able to work out some sort of deal for PS+ members, even $5 off would have been tempting.[/QUOTE]

DCUO is free for the first month.

Very interested in how Sony will be putting together MMOs on the console. Seriously, where Planetside? That game needs to come back out.

I'm down with some free-to-play games. Don't have to feel too bad on playing them, only when I spend money on crazy items just to make it fair for me to play.

[quote name='j-cart']
Very interested in how Sony will be putting together MMOs on the console. Seriously, where Planetside? That game needs to come back out.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, the article in the OP mentions a Planetside sequel in the works.

I will forever hold onto the theory that were some developer/publisher to take an experience like PSO, Guild Wars, Borderlands, and/or Monster Hunter and use a model which incorporates a normal release without monthly fees but with cash shops/microtransactions they'd make a killing in the console space.

When you give console players a more standard pricing model and a gameplay/control experience which they are used to and you couple that with the more minimal server costs of a lobbies + instances model it becomes significantly more appealing. (especially in this shithole economy)

Hell, Sega could port PSO version 1/2 right now, charge a decent $10-30 for the game, add in the cash shop/microtransaction stuff and be rolling in doe. But alas that would require Sega to make a decision which isn't fucktardedly idiotic so that will never happen.

Moreover the company would need to be savvy enough to do the shop correctly as having the wrong kinds of items for the wrong kinds of prices instantly kills a lot of free-to-plays.

Free Realms doesn't handle the shop/content properly, Clone Wars Adventures is even worse, PoxNora is only decent, and EverQuest II Extended, while no Turbine free-to-play, handles it pretty damn well although it is still quite limiting.

Developers and publishers are still testing the waters when it comes to how, when, and why to charge for things and a vast majority of them fail miserably no matter the model or genre.

^ I agree with some of what you say. I think PSO is a good example of a console game with subscription fees that worked. When they tried to go MMO with PSU it backfired. I think microtransactions might work with certain games, but don't see how it would work with others. I counter with this: Charge me $80 (or more) for a game and have it be free for as long as the game exists. Or charge regular price and sell me a lifetime pass or discounts on longer time periods.

Give me PSO in the XBLA for $20-25 and free online play. They don't need all the crazy lobbies and whatnot anymore. It's not necessary.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']I will forever hold onto the theory that were some developer/publisher to take an experience like PSO, Guild Wars, Borderlands, and/or Monster Hunter and use a model which incorporates a normal release without monthly fees but with cash shops/microtransactions they'd make a killing in the console space.

When you give console players a more standard pricing model and a gameplay/control experience which they are used to and you couple that with the more minimal server costs of a lobbies + instances model it becomes significantly more appealing. (especially in this shithole economy)

Hell, Sega could port PSO version 1/2 right now, charge a decent $10-30 for the game, add in the cash shop/microtransaction stuff and be rolling in doe. But alas that would require Sega to make a decision which isn't fucktardedly idiotic so that will never happen.

Moreover the company would need to be savvy enough to do the shop correctly as having the wrong kinds of items for the wrong kinds of prices instantly kills a lot of free-to-plays.

Free Realms doesn't handle the shop/content properly, Clone Wars Adventures is even worse, PoxNora is only decent, and EverQuest II Extended, while no Turbine free-to-play, handles it pretty damn well although it is still quite limiting.

Developers and publishers are still testing the waters when it comes to how, when, and why to charge for things and a vast majority of them fail miserably no matter the model or genre.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more, just look at Home, lots of microtransactions for really useless stuff on not-actually-a-game and it makes millions. They should've gone that route with DCU Online

Just look at the current PC MMO 'scene'. Most non-WoW are going free to play and Bam! instant profit where none existed before. If you add to that the convenience of the PSN wallet and prepaid cards it hsould be pretty logical that the best model for a console MMO is free to play (maybe with a regular $60 release)+microtransactions

Saddest thing is that they will take Free Realms (an 2+ years old, simplified MMO) as an experiment on the model, and if it doesn't work as expected they will stay away from the microtransaction model for future console releases. Oh well, let's see what happens

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/03/11/free-realms-available-on-psn-march-29/

Free Realms is coming a little later than expected, but it'll be out on March 29.
That’s right, Sony Online Entertainment’s popular online virtual world is making its way from PC to the PS3 on March 29th! The entire Free Realms team is super excited as this will be the very first casual, free-to-play MMO ever to be offered on the PlayStation Network. So, grab your controller, grab your friends, and prepare yourself for an adventure unlike anything you’ve ever seen before.

Free Realms offers an amazing array of gameplay activities all rolled up into one massive, seamless, virtual world. Hop on the back of your trusty T-Rex and explore the countryside; discovering strange lands, rare collectibles, and exciting quests. Brave the dangers of forgotten dungeons and battle hordes of mythical monsters and bad-tempered beasties.

Fancy a bit of friendly competition? Free Realms has tons of games that allow you to pit your skill against other players. From kart racing and demolition derby, to soccer matches and pirate ship battles, Free Realms offers a wide variety of fun multiplayer games and a simple to use matchmaking interface to get you in and playing with no hassle.

Or maybe puzzles and minigames are more your thing? No problem. We got you covered. Free Realms has a wide selection of Flash-based minigames to choose from. Match 3 mining, cooking, forging, tower defense, checkers, and chess: if you’re into minigames, then Free Realms is the game for you.

Yep, we got it all. Exploration, collections, quests, combat, minigames, holiday and community events, virtual pets, virtual housing; Free Realms offers something for everyone. What’s more, our unique job system allows you to be whoever you want whenever you want. Choose from 15 different professions, each offering their own distinct look and gameplay experience. All jobs are available at any time, so feel free to try them all. Be a wizard one minute, then a ninja, chef, or kart driver the next! Customize your character as you see fit. With over 30,000 unique clothing and equipment options, you’re truly free to be who you want to be.

Did I mention that Free Realms was free? Yeah, I said it…free. Don’t believe me? Well, try it yourself. On March 29th, download Free Realms for free from the PlayStation Store and immerse yourself in a rich fantasy world perfect for sharing with family and friends. All jobs are available through level 4, as well as over 800 quests and countless minigames. Upgrade to a membership and get unlimited access to all job levels, as well as additional premium content and features.

So, mark it down on your calendar. March 29, 2011. Free Realms. PS3.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...n-psn-march-29/comment-page-1/#comment-531984

It won't be cross-platform with the PC version due to the difference in accounts and difficulty in synching updates and patches.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...n-psn-march-29/comment-page-1/#comment-531986http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...n-psn-march-29/comment-page-1/#comment-532087

It will have trophies, 46 of them.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...n-psn-march-29/comment-page-1/#comment-532049

And they're looking in to offering PS+ people some extra stuff.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...n-psn-march-29/comment-page-1/#comment-532082

There are optional paid membership options for $4.99 a month and a lifetime sub for $34.99.

Maybe I'm missing something, but locking content until you pay $5 a month isn't exactly free. I suppose if the game is interesting you could plop down $35 for a lifetime membership and treat it like a purchase of a retail game, but free to play is a little misleading.

Would you consider Assassin's Creed II free to play if you could only play the first couple DNA segments and had to pay for the rest? Fallout 3 if you had to pay to play after The Vault?

C'mon man, it's a demo, not a free game.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Would you consider Assassin's Creed II free to play if you could only play the first couple DNA segments and had to pay for the rest? Fallout 3 if you had to pay to play after The Vault?

C'mon man, it's a demo, not a free game.[/QUOTE]

Um, AC2 and Fallout cost money to play even 1 level. You're being given a good amount of content for FREE. Call it what you want, but it is free to play from day one. Can't do that with AC2 or Fallout...

In the original announcement I'm pretty sure Sony said players would be able to play to X area, and then members would get access to new/more area's.

Will PS3 be seperate than the online pc game, as in characters and such able to play cross platform, or is it a whole new start?

[quote name='Fakeshake']Will PS3 be seperate than the online pc game, as in characters and such able to play cross platform, or is it a whole new start?[/QUOTE]
No cross platform play.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...n-psn-march-29/comment-page-1/#comment-531984

Edit: I still don't see anything akin to only being able to play up to a certain level before being forced to pay. At most, it seems like a few of the exclusive quests take place in their own dungeons. Nothing on the scale of being a demo.

Apparently you can only level to level 4 on each job, and upon paying the sub you can continue to level. Level 4 is... pretty damn low, that only takes a couple hours to do if that. I'm gonna agree on the notion of this being a "demo", a demo you can play with other people, but still a demo.

I'd liken it to those extended demos for PS+, you get free 60 minute trials of the full version games. Now instead of a time restriction it's just a distance restriction. It sounds quite a bit like the Pirates of the Caribbean MMO in implementation, decent amount to see for free, but the level cap you'll hit in a day or two. Like any good drug dealer, the first hit is free :lol:.

Why does it matter what you label it? You get what you get.

People who think it is free to play will be able to play for free until they hit the cap. People who think it is a demo, will be able to play until they finish the demo.

This game looks like it's for little kids from the look of their web page. Am I wrong? I'd get into something like this as long as I'm not collecting jellybeans and shit.

Free Realms launches today, was up earlier.

3/29/11 PS Blog

FreeRealms.png

Official Trailer

HD Official Gameplay Trailer (10 min.)

Pertinent information from the PS Blog:
"Did I mention that Free Realms was free? Yeah, I said it…free. Don’t believe me? Well, try it yourself. On March 29th, download Free Realms for free from the PlayStation Store and immerse yourself in a rich fantasy world perfect for sharing with family and friends. All jobs are available through level 4, as well as over 800 quests and countless minigames. Upgrade to a membership and get unlimited access to all job levels, as well as additional premium content and features."

So I guess how free it in fact is, is up for debate.

Also per Stephen Bokkes with PS Blog:
"Sorry, no cross-platform compatibility. Unfortunately, the logistics involved with synchronized publishes and account linking make it impractical...no current Move support"

"There’s a full trophy set (46) just waiting to be earned."

"We’ll be offering multiple membership upgrade options, just like the PC version. A one month membership will cost $4.99. We also offer three month, six month, and twelve month memberships, as well as a lifetime membership for $34.99...Accounts are not compatible across platforms."

Paid membership benefits:
Monthly Reward Packs
Small Wilds House
All Jobs Unlocked
Access to Members Only Items
10% Discount When Buying Items
Get more coins for the first hour of play each day.

[quote name='camre']interesting, wonder just how many trophies you can get with the free part.[/quote]

46...it's in the red lettering portion of the OP.

[quote name='Muthafodder']46...it's in the red lettering portion of the OP.[/QUOTE]

I would be highly surprised if all trophies were obtainable with the free portion, there have to be some for getting levels higher than 4..

[quote name='Muthafodder']46...it's in the red lettering portion of the OP.[/QUOTE]

Well, it says there are 46 trophies in the game -- it doesn't say that you can get them all without paying for a membership.

[quote name='arcane93']Well, it says there are 46 trophies in the game -- it doesn't say that you can get them all without paying for a membership.[/QUOTE]

I only have the same information as available to you guys :)

Anyone have any experience with this game? Is it worth it or a waste of time like Home?

[quote name='Muthafodder']I only have the same information as available to you guys :)[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, just noting that it didn't really answer his question. ;)

[quote name='Geb']Anyone have any experience with this game? Is it worth it or a waste of time like Home?[/QUOTE]

Heh, I was wondering the same thing.

[quote name='Geb']Anyone have any experience with this game? Is it worth it or a waste of time like Home?[/QUOTE]

Probably a waste of time like Home :roll:

I'm going to buy the lifetime membership just as soon as it will let me.

he is wondering if some of the trophies will require the subscription to obtain.... I don't think it specifies clearly enough to determine if you can get all the trophies for free.

I screwed around with the PC version when it first came out, it was fun for a couple weeks till you maxed out everything at level 4 on the free version, after that if you dont pay then it's worthless

[quote name='gage006']So it's a kids MMO on a console owned by a lot of dude bros? I see this going badly...[/QUOTE]

Y so sIrIus BRaH? ImMa heD$h0t some kidies for FREE! (not serious, btw)

[quote name='the_ENEMY_']he is wondering if some of the trophies will require the subscription to obtain.... I don't think it specifies clearly enough to determine if you can get all the trophies for free.[/QUOTE]

I got that, but that's the only info we have at the moment.
Even PS3Trophies.org doesn't have the list.

[quote name='gage006']So it's a kids MMO on a console owned by a lot of dude bros? I see this going badly...[/QUOTE]

It's on the PS3 not the 360, learn to read.

without pc cross platform play I don't see this being successful long term. I'll give it a shot anyways because it's free.

bread's done
Back