Free videogame pre-order goodies at Best Buy: Uncharted 2, Ratchet 2 DLC codes + more

Purkeynator

CAGiversary!
Feedback
148 (100%)
I discovered a weird glitch at my local Best Buy in Riverdale Ut. Last week I pre-ordered a copy of Uncharted 2 with the pre-order box that comes with a code inside for gold weapons in the multiplayer mode that is active once the game is released. The pre-order was supposed to be $5 as usual, however after the cashier rang up my reward zone card the pre-order came up as free and I happily walked out with an Uncharted 2 gold weapons code at no cost.
Tonight I figured I would try my luck again and I went for the Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time pre-order box which includes a code for an "Exlusive Power Package" including a weapon skin, extra hit points, and the cryo-mine glove. Once again the pre-order rang up as $5 but as soon as the cashier scanned my rewardzone card it rang up as 0.00 and again I walked out with a a receipt and a pre-order box with code.
I am not sure why this is happening but free DLC is always alright in my book. I don't really care if I actually pick up the game upon release or not as I usually wait for prices to drop way lower than $60 and the pre-order cost me nothing. I am not sure if its the reward zone card itself, the fact that I am in the reward zone gamers club, or the fact that I am a premier silver member. However one thing I am sure of is that the sleuths on CAG with figure it out and "crack the code" in a short time. Then you can all go forth and grab them shits.

*update* September 23: Ok so I may have omitted certain details in my original post. The first purchase I made was actually 2 pre-orders of Uncharted. The second time I tried, I picked up a pre-order of Uncharted and a pre-order of Ratchet. My reasoning was that I did not want to invite the "hoarder" comments that I wrought upon myself in the penny guide thread for snatching up multiple penny guides at once back in the day. The common link the game seems to have over the dozens of comments is that you can only get two pre-orders and one of them must be Uncharted for the "glitch" to work and give you two free pre-orders. As I knew would happen, CAGs cracked the code once again. Well done.

Here is a good list of pre-order bonuses thanks to Jodou:

Here's the compiled list of pre-order bonuses:

Brutal Legend - LP sleeve to hold your game and sports some attractive artwork on the inside cover.

Halo 3: ODST - Unlock Sgt. Avery Johnson for play in the new Firefight mode.

Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time - Unlock the Cryo-Mine glove exclusive weapon skin that yields extra hit points when equipped.

Tekken 6 - Laser cell and tattooed sleeve.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Unlock gold-plated versions of the Beretta and AK-47 for multi-player.

*update Oct 13* Now that Uncharted 2 has been released, many stores have pulled their remaining stock of pre-order boxes from the shelves. It has now become YMMV as to whether you will find out some left over pre-order boxes at your local Best Buy. Apparently if you can find them the deal still works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best Buy is running the $10 off any $29.99 and up game this week with preorders on select games including those you mentioned. I wonder if theres a glitch if you don't guy any game with it. Even though you did say you got Uncharted 2 last week. Hmmm

I am a reward zone member, and part of the gamers club since whenever it was last spring/fall that Orange Box was only $10 for PC for members. I haven't tried re-purchasing my pre-order but I had pre-ordered Uncharted 2 at BB a week or two ago and It cost me $5 (I since canceled my pre-order because I decided I'd rather order from Amazon and get it cheaper). I go to the BB at the Strip in Canton, Ohio.

Is it just me, or was the golden gun invented to be a 1 shot kill and they are making a mockery of it with just a bunch of limited palette guns...

[quote name='slugboss']Is it just me, or was the golden gun invented to be a 1 shot kill and they are making a mockery of it with just a bunch of limited palette guns...[/QUOTE]
Going all the way back to Bond?

[quote name='Boeing 747']Semi off topic but are Uncharted 2's gold weapons unlockable at all or are the strictly preorder bonus?[/QUOTE]

I believe they are strictly pre-order bonus, ala the Golden Hammerburst gun last year for pre-ordering Gears of War 2 at Gamestop.

Hm, if they ring up at 0.00 I wonder if you can preorder a game, get the $10 discount on another game and then just never pick up the preorder. Eseentially $10 off any game over 29.99, which would go nicely with the current sale for Fight Night Round 4 (39.99).

This is a shock to me. Seems very much worth it, considering I plan on getting R&C and U2 anyway, but I want to wait for a good sale for them, but would still like the bonuses.

[quote name='Eric1285']Hm, if they ring up at 0.00 I wonder if you can preorder a game, get the $10 discount on another game and then just never pick up the preorder. Eseentially $10 off any game over 29.99, which would go nicely with the current sale for Fight Night Round 4 (39.99).[/QUOTE]

I bought a $19.99 game along with a preorder today, the preorder came up free and I got $5 off the $19.99 game.

[quote name='neiname']I bought a $19.99 game along with a preorder today, the preorder came up free and I got $5 off the $19.99 game.[/QUOTE]

Are you too a "Reward Zone Silver" member, or just a regular Reward Zone Member like myself? If you're a regular member, it looks to me like all of us can just go to Best Buy, pre-order these games, and never pick them up. We'll get the "free pre-order bonuses", and our orders are automatically canceled 7 days after the item is in stock. On top of that, we may also get $5 automatically off any game we buy while placing the pre-order.

If not, I can't wait to see the Best Buy employee's reaction when he goes to ring up my 5 or 6 pre-orders (Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Tekken 6, etc.) and tells me they're $5 each. I'll then say "no thanks" LOL! :roll:

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']Are you too a "Reward Zone Silver" member, or just a regular Reward Zone Member like myself? If you're a regular member, it looks to me like all of us can just go to Best Buy, pre-order these games, and never pick them up. We'll get the "free pre-order bonuses", and our orders are automatically canceled 7 days after the item is in stock. On top of that, we may also get $5 automatically off any game we buy while placing the pre-order.

If not, I can't wait to see the Best Buy employee's reaction when he goes to ring up my 5 or 6 pre-orders (Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Tekken 6, etc.) and tells me they're $5 each. I'll then say "no thanks" LOL! :roll:[/QUOTE]That, of course, is the wrinkle, to see if it's a Silver member perk or not.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']Are you too a "Reward Zone Silver" member, or just a regular Reward Zone Member like myself? If you're a regular member, it looks to me like all of us can just go to Best Buy, pre-order these games, and never pick them up. We'll get the "free pre-order bonuses", and our orders are automatically canceled 7 days after the item is in stock. On top of that, we may also get $5 automatically off any game we buy while placing the pre-order.

If not, I can't wait to see the Best Buy employee's reaction when he goes to ring up my 5 or 6 pre-orders (Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Tekken 6, etc.) and tells me they're $5 each. I'll then say "no thanks" LOL! :roll:[/QUOTE]

Make sure you have a friend with a camera rolling in the back. LOL

[quote name='XClaude']Make sure you have a friend with a camera rolling in the back. LOL[/QUOTE]

It would be a Youtube sensation wouldn't it? LOL! Maybe not as big as that "DestroymyWii" bullshit I watched, but then again that is worth destroying! :applause:

[quote name='tahoesnowboarder']im gonna try this tomorrow. ill post my results! Anyone know if this glitch works with any other pre-sell with bonuses? (brutal legend, forza 3)[/QUOTE]

Me too. I'm going to pre-order Uncharted 2 (even though I've done the same through Amazon). If I'm able to get the pre-order for free, I'll let everyone know. When I go to buy it, and they try to charge me $5, I'll play dumb and say I didn't realize I had to put $5 down to buy it. I'll then refuse the pre-order. Otherwise, I'll get it for free (which ultimately means a free code for the gold plated guns in MP), and recommend everyone do the same.

I'm also going to buy F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin for PS3 for $19.99 too ($20 off Reward Zone coupon). If they knock another $5 off that, I'll share that as well.

[quote name='Jinque']hmm what if they give u fear 2 for 10 and the preoder for 5[/QUOTE]

That's better yet. I still won't pick up the pre-order, and they'll refund my $5 for Uncharted 2 (since I won't pick it up). My guess is they won't give me the $10 off (that's pushing it, even though it's in the flyer). I could see them doing the "pre-order" for $0 with $5 off F.E.A.R. 2 (which means it would be $14.99 with the $20 off RZ coupon). I'd be happy just getting F.E.A.R. 2 for $19.99 (with RZ $20 off coupon), and a "free" pre-order of UC 2 (free gold guns).

[quote name='Wario64']Can you have more than 1 preorder in a transaction and still be free?[/QUOTE]

Yes you can do more than one at a time and still get them free.

Interesting. I hope somebody can confirm whether a Silver level membership is key or not.

The closest BB is about 45 miles one-way. I have to have a number of things to pick-up for a trip down there to be worth it. This would add to the list if it works.

Do any of you who have already made these purchases mind putting up receipt info? (Ie: date, store, game(s), pre-order(s), price they ring at, price after TOTAL is hit (that's usually when promotions show up) and whether you were a RZ basic, GamingClub or Silver member. Also, plz list if any prices were affected by RZ coupons er RZ certificates.

RZ coupons are on REGULAR price items. If the item is on sale for 10%off in store and you have a 12%off coupon, 12% is taken off FULL price of item, not sale price (unless you get a real nice employee). As far as RZ Certificates, you can combine as many as you want together. But using a $20 cert on a $15 dollar means you'll miss out on the extra +-$3 bucks after tax. Might as well get a drink and gum too! Haha

I can confirm this. I'm a regular RZ (not silver) Gamers Club member. Got both Uncharted 2 and Ratchet & Clank pre-orders for free. They scanned as $5 each and then $5 was automatically taken off for a total of $0.

[quote name='Animezine']I can confirm this. I'm a regular RZ (not silver) Gamers Club member. Got both Uncharted 2 and Ratchet & Clank pre-orders for free. They scanned as $5 each and then $5 was automatically taken off for a total of $0.[/QUOTE]

So the game would be $55 or $0?

Crap, I had bought the $5 gold gun thing a while back, but no longer have the receipt.
No way to return that is there?[quote name='Animezine']I can confirm this. I'm a regular RZ (not silver) Gamers Club member. Got both Uncharted 2 and Ratchet & Clank pre-orders for free. They scanned as $5 each and then $5 was automatically taken off for a total of $0.[/QUOTE]Thanks!

[quote name='Animezine']I can confirm this. I'm a regular RZ (not silver) Gamers Club member. Got both Uncharted 2 and Ratchet & Clank pre-orders for free. They scanned as $5 each and then $5 was automatically taken off for a total of $0.[/QUOTE]

Did you purchase these in separate transactions, or together?

Thanks for the confirmation. I think I'll stop by BB tonight, purchase the new CD I wanted and pick up a free pre-order while I'm at it.

This happened to me 2 weeks ago when I preordered uncharted and Tekken 6.

At least I dont have to go back for a refund.

Does anyone know if it still counts as $5 advance on the games though

So they have to scan first the games, then the card? Or it dont really matter?

Also when I preorder do I need to show ID or something or just give contact info?

[quote name='jgiovanni']This happened to me 2 weeks ago when I preordered uncharted and Tekken 6.

At least I dont have to go back for a refund.

Does anyone know if it still counts as $5 advance on the games though[/QUOTE]

I want to know the answer to that as well...

[quote name='Disneyboy']I'm curious as to whether preordering a game for free still gets you $10 off a $30 game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd like to know too. I'm going to go try after work cause I want to get Fight Night Round 4 for $30. It's a bit out of the way though so I'd like to get confirmation before I head over.

[quote name='Disneyboy']I'm curious as to whether preordering a game for free still gets you $10 off a $30 game.[/QUOTE]

There's nothing i really want, but yeah, it's interesting to know if that works or not...

[quote name='darknight88']So they have to scan first the games, then the card? Or it dont really matter?

Also when I preorder do I need to show ID or something or just give contact info?[/QUOTE]

Preordering at Best Buy is a joke, I doubt they even hold the games for you. You're basically paying money for the preorder bonus/box (or free in this case).

To redeem your preorder when the game comes out, you're suppose to hand them the preorder receipt so they can deduct $5 from the total game. If you lose the receipt, you're screwed since they dont take your info.

[quote name='Wario64']Preordering at Best Buy is a joke, I doubt they even hold the games for you. You're basically paying money for the preorder bonus/box (or free in this case).

To redeem your preorder when the game comes out, you're suppose to hand them the preorder receipt so they can deduct $5 from the total game. If you lose the receipt, you're screwed since they dont take your info.[/QUOTE]

the real joke, imo, would be going to the store and saying oh i lost my receipt can i still pick up my preorder?

Thanks OP! Worked just as described. Cashier started to say $10.34 and then everything zeroed out and and he was stunned. I could practically hear the gears turning in his head thinking about picking up U2 and R&C after his shift.

didn't work for me. I signed up for the card today online printed out a temporary card then the cashier scanned the card then the game and it was still $5.00

[quote name='slugboss']Is it just me, or was the golden gun invented to be a 1 shot kill and they are making a mockery of it with just a bunch of limited palette guns...[/QUOTE]

More like it's supposed to tell other people...

"I was an idiot and preordered this game (thereby paying full price) when I could've been on CAG and found it cheaper, a short while later" :lol:

bread's done
Back