Free Windows Vista Business & Office Professional 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='horrido']Got my copy today. Best deal of 2006 for me. They shipped on the 22nd.[/QUOTE]

Is it a retail copy or OEM?

[quote name='RAY16']Is it a retail copy or OEM?[/quote]

Neither, its a promotional copy - cardboard folder type sleave, 1 disk, and product key. Has a blurb inside saying something to the effect of 'Thank you for participating in the Power Together' campaign. Marked as 'not for resale'in fine print. Not very impressive, but I'm happy. Its 32 bit only, buisiness Vista as stated earlier in this thread. The upgrade to Vista ultimate for $139 is tempting. Anyone know what the street value of Ultimate is?

[quote name='horrido']Neither, its a promotional copy - cardboard folder type sleave, 1 disk, and product key. Has a blurb inside saying something to the effect of 'Thank you for participating in the Power Together' campaign. Marked as 'not for resale'in fine print. Not very impressive, but I'm happy. Its 32 bit only, buisiness Vista as stated earlier in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Slightly disappointing, I suppose. Ah well, beggars can't be choosers. I was wondering if it would be 32-Bit or 64-Bit, I guess they figure 64-Bit still isn't wide spread enough to assume that everybody who signed up for the copy would be able to run it.

[quote name='horrido']The upgrade to Vista ultimate for $139 is tempting. Anyone know what the street value of Ultimate is?[/QUOTE]

Newegg has the OEM version of Vista Ultimate for $200.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116213

Rumor is that OEM Vista has installation limitations (ie it will only work on one computer, limiting your abiliity to use it when you substantially upgrade hardware). I'm not sure if there's anything to this.

This copy appears to be the retail version.

[quote name='horrido']Rumor is that OEM Vista has installation limitations (ie it will only work on one computer, limiting your abiliity to use it when you substantially upgrade hardware). I'm not sure if there's anything to this.[/quote]

I have read that as well, but I haven't seen any confirmation on it. I suppose the only way to tell is for somebody to read through the OEM versions EULA (FUN!).

[quote name='horrido']This copy appears to be the retail version.[/quote]

Are you sure? I could swear that Retail copies are supposed to have both the 32-Bit and 64-Bit versions on the same disc...

I didnt get in on this...guess I just have to wait and buy it when my college offers it...hopefully cheap like XP Pro (which is like...$14)

[quote name='whoknows']Are you sure? I could swear that Retail copies are supposed to have both the 32-Bit and 64-Bit versions on the same disc...[/quote]

No, I'm not sure. Just a guess. I too thought that 64bit was included on the retail version, but NewEgg is selling retail copies with 32 bit only, and OEM copies of 64 bit only. Even the Ultimate version is selling with 32 bit only, so I wouldn't be surprised if the $139 upgrade resulted in 32 bit only. Maybe there are options for a 64 bit upgrade.

[quote name='highwaypatrolman']i just checked, and i can download this for free through msdn academic alliance (ie. since i go to college).[/quote]

A lot of us CAGs go to college, where can we get this free?

[quote name='PhrostByte']A lot of us CAGs go to college, where can we get this free?[/QUOTE]
your college has to be a part of this program (msdn academic alliance). i go to a computer science college, and we belong to it. you would have to do some checking around at your particular school.

[quote name='highwaypatrolman']your college has to be a part of this program (msdn academic alliance). i go to a computer science college, and we belong to it. you would have to do some checking around at your particular school.[/quote]

Ah ok. Yeah I found their website.. my school appears about 10 different times but all they offer seems to be Visio/Office/XP... Not a bad deal on XP Pro.. 1 license with both 32 and 64bit versions for $15.00. I'm about to try to go through other school's pages to see if I can get a copy of Vista.

If you signed up for both prizes will they send you one then require the W-2 be sent in or do they withhold both until the form is sent in??

I signed up for one but I was curious... As far as I can tell I still have yet to get my confirmation e-mail. The site says I did everything I needed to so I don't know what is up...

[quote name='horrido']Neither, its a promotional copy - cardboard folder type sleave, 1 disk, and product key. Has a blurb inside saying something to the effect of 'Thank you for participating in the Power Together' campaign. Marked as 'not for resale'in fine print. Not very impressive, but I'm happy. Its 32 bit only, buisiness Vista as stated earlier in this thread. The upgrade to Vista ultimate for $139 is tempting. Anyone know what the street value of Ultimate is?[/QUOTE]

I'm pondering selling Office when it arrives to pay for the upgrade to Vista Ultimate. I really don't have any interest in Office anyway, and assuming I could get at least $140 out of it on Ebay (I don't see why not, it is supposed to be Office Pro) then that would make me very happy indeed. If I could get $190, it would pay for Ultimate upgrade for me & a Vista Home Pro upgrade for my wife...double win. :)

I got mine today... didnt realize it till now. I'm wanting to sell it now since I have no need ATM for it... I'll wait till release or something and then throw it on ebay.

I got mine today!

Anybody know if I can upgrade several computers with the one install disk and still have them eligible for all OS updates? Or can I only have one PC actively recognized by MS?

[quote name='basketkase543']I got mine today!

Anybody know if I can upgrade several computers with the one install disk and still have them eligible for all OS updates? Or can I only have one PC actively recognized by MS?[/QUOTE]

wondering the same.

I got mine today wooo!

And to answer your question, you can install multiple licenses (Vista Home $49) when you upgrade to Vista Ultimate ($139)

[quote name='basketkase543']I got mine today!

Anybody know if I can upgrade several computers with the one install disk and still have them eligible for all OS updates? Or can I only have one PC actively recognized by MS?[/QUOTE]

Its a license for one computer.

Also, I'd be careful trying to sell your Vista/Office. technically, you dont own the software, you only own the license to it. Odds are (I havent got mine yet) MS sent out NFR (not for resale) copies. Basically, they give you and only you the right to use the software. Selling it violates your EULA. They could shut down your ebay auction, or worse case scenario, refuse to activate the software for anyone but the person MS gave it to. I wouldnt either of these past MS.

And FYI, office is going to be download only, no disks sent. They will email you a cd key for activating it.

[quote name='uli2000']Its a license for one computer.

Also, I'd be careful trying to sell your Vista/Office. technically, you dont own the software, you only own the license to it. Odds are (I havent got mine yet) MS sent out NFR (not for resale) copies. Basically, they give you and only you the right to use the software. Selling it violates your EULA. They could shut down your ebay auction, or worse case scenario, refuse to activate the software for anyone but the person MS gave it to. I wouldnt either of these past MS.

And FYI, office is going to be download only, no disks sent. They will email you a cd key for activating it.[/quote]
I have installed and registered/activated office on 3 computers so far with absolutely no problems.

[quote name='gundamxzero']I have installed and registered/activated office on 3 computers so far with absolutely no problems.[/QUOTE]

the question mainly concerns Vista now.

[quote name='gundamxzero']Got my copy of office, sent in my w-9 a few weeks ago so I will be expecting vista soon I hope.[/quote]

You say you got your copy of office, but uli said it was dl only, so did you get an actual CD copy in the mail?

Well I got both today in the mail. Now its time to wait to update my motherboard, processor, and video card in my computer.

For those asking about Office, you get a little laminated cardboard brochure with the website to download office and a product key taped inside of it.

I'm also thinking of upgrading up to Ultimate, anyone else doing it or could it be a waste of money?

I got em both, upgraded to Vista Busiines and installed MS Office 07.
Very sleek, but I will be upgrading to Ultimate. Only $139.

Got my Office 07 today as well. I guess I deleted the confirmation e-mail since I don't remember ever getting it. I didn't get in on both.

I signed up for both of these but havent received word on either... am i supposed to get an e-mail? Or do they just mail them directly to your house? or?

I should be getting my copy of Vista Business any time as well. As I've recently decided that I never want Vista to touch my boxen, I'd be glad to offer it up to a fellow CAG for a reasonable price or trade. I realize that I've never done a trade through CAG before, so contact me if you have any questions or concerns. I'm also vincouga on Ebay.

[quote name='splattered']That bites, because i completed it and it said i did everything necessary for my copy.... yet i never received an email. damn![/quote]

Mine said I met all the requirements as well and as far as I know I never got the e-mail (It might've gone to my junk mailbox causing me to miss it but I tried to check for it before cleaning the folder) but I got my Office 2007 yesterday.

just got confirmation i am gettin my free copy. hells yes. i only clicked on the films too, didn't even watch them.

just waiting 6-8 weeks now.

damn...i just realized i saved a good 200-300 bucks!

[quote name='moleman']just got confirmation i am gettin my free copy. hells yes. i only clicked on the films too, didn't even watch them.

just waiting 6-8 weeks now.

damn...i just realized i saved a good 200-300 bucks![/QUOTE]

I thought this was over months ago... How is it that you "just" got the confirmation email?

From the powertogether site.

"We're sorry, there are no more gifts available. There are still plenty of things to explore and to learn about Windows Vista. Enter now to learn more!"

I got mine like 2 weeks ago, maybe 3 and so far aside from shitty Nvidia drivers, everything is running smoothly.

[quote name='lupinckc']I got mine today wooo!

And to answer your question, you can install multiple licenses (Vista Home $49) when you upgrade to Vista Ultimate ($139)[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately this isn't true if you upgrade another version of Vista to Ultimate. Only if you buy Ultimate straight out - MS's site on this specifically says "retail boxed copy" when describing what you have to buy. Sucks.

I ended up selling mine to a co-worker for $70 and picking up the Home Premium upgrade. So we basically split the cost of the upgrade. I wanted the media center stuff, and he didn't care about that aspect. Worked out well. And I love the OS so far - very fast, and some of the new bells & whistles are extremely cool.

I've gotten some really good deals from CAG, but this is quite possibly the best one yet. ;)

Damn now I wish I would've signed up for both (only got Office) although would have to upgrade my RAM to run it smoothly (Vista requires a MINIMUM of 1GB RAM if I'm not mistaken. This means you had better double it to get the software to run well).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back