Freedom of Speech.....Just Watch What You Say

xxDOYLExx

CAGiversary!
NineNine Speakers, the agency that represents Helen Thomas, has dropped her as a client. This comes in the wake of controversial remarks on the Middle East.

The notice, obtained by POLITICO:

It is with a heavy heart that Nine Speakers, Inc. announces its resignation as the agent for Helen Thomas, Dean of the White House Press Corps.

Ms. Thomas has had an esteemed career as a journalist, and she has been a trailblazer for women, helping others in her profession, and beyond.

However, in light of recent events, Nine Speakers is no longer able to represent Ms. Thomas, nor can we condone her comments on the Middle East.
Speakers will continue to enthusiastically represent all of our other current and future clients.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/onmedia/0610/Thomas_gets_dropped_by_agency.html

Call me the Ice, or just the............................

I think it's fitting that Ari Fleisher is calling for Thomas' resignation. This is the guy who, after 9/11, said 'all Americans need to watch what they say, watch what they do.'

Thread title seems a bit inflammatory.

Freedom of speech has never meant that one couldn't be fired (or dropped as a client in this case) for what they say.

The first amendment is just so that the government couldn't censor or punish people for what they say.

[quote name='IRHari']I think it's fitting that Ari Fleisher is calling for Thomas' resignation. This is the guy who, after 9/11, said 'all Americans need to watch what they say, watch what they do.'[/QUOTE]

I don't really care one way or the other if she gets canned, she is 109 years old anyway she should retire and spend her golden months in peace.

Why she is getting ostracized and Pat Buchanan is continuously on TV, I have no idea.

Why does this have anything to do with freedom of speech? She said what she wanted to , no one tried to stop her. The nice thing about freedom is that it goes both ways. Freedom to speak your mind and freedom to be fired by your boss because you're a **** with an opinion.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Thread title seems a bit inflammatory.

Freedom of speech has never meant that one couldn't be fired (or dropped as a client in this case) for what they say.

The first amendment is just so that the government couldn't censor or punish people for what they say.[/QUOTE]

Of course.

There are many in America that think that freedom of speech means that you can say whatever you want without any repercussions from anybody.

Some folks are only concerned with their own freedoms and not the freedom of others to react the way they want to.

We saw it with the Dixie Chicks, Bill Maher (when he lost politically incorrect), John Lennon (The Beatles are still more popular than Jesus) People seemed to confuse these instances as first amendment issues.

I know that nobody in "vs." believes this. ;)

Just because you have the right to express yourself, doesn't mean that its always a good idea.

The topic title was more or less an opportunity to quote some classic Ice-T, and to introduce America to our newest greeter at the DC Walmart.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='xxDOYLExx']Of course.

There are many in America that think that freedom of speech means that you can say whatever you want without any repercussions from anybody.[/QUOTE]

That's true. I'm pretty sure the people you cite knew what they were doing, but I see a ton of everyday people that make this mistake.

She resigned. Don't expect people on the other side who said the same thing about Palestinians to resign though. What she said got her in trouble, but only because she was talking about the wrong group of people.

bread's done
Back