Freezing the Military's pay - What a woeful government

Amblix

CAGiversary!
Feedback
94 (98%)
Reference Article

I know I'm not the only CAG currently serving in the military, and apparently not the only one deployed currently. So feel free to show your faith in our government regardless of what side of the line you fall on.

First off, thank you congress for actually getting shit done in a timely manner and making sure I and other get paid on April 1st, 2011.

----

Back to the matter at hand, it is downright degrading to think that our "service" to this country is in fact that, a service. Bull shit. Am I proud to serve? Yes, very, every time someone walks up to me and thanks me, I imagine doing this for 20 more years. I love the feeling I get an I get a sense of actually doing something good with my life. Everything I have seen in the middle east, the good and heartwarming, to the pain and sorrow of loss have yet to leave me with a day of regret for the past two and a half years. But expecting us to do it without getting payed is appalling.

We have bills to pay, the military doesn't pay for the minutes I use to call my family back home, they don't pay for my internet I use to do what I'm doing right now. When I'm stateside, they don't pay for my food (I have the rare case of being stationed on a base with no dining facility), they don't pay for my phone bill (which I use to keep in contact with my chain of command -WORK-), they don't pay for my car bill and gas (which is used to go to the military's formations and report to the military's duties).

They pay to put a roof over my head, running water, and electricity. The amenities, right? Well sure, but we'd be eating out of the local dumpster and not be able to coordinate with the other soldiers in the unit to keep the military running.

The belief that, if the military pay is indeed frozen, that the programs the government will put into place will help soldiers and families through the times is horseshit. The cost of those programs will probably be just as much if you paid me my paycheck. Wanting to have a program where I recieve my food and gas makes me feel like I'm back in high school, and not an adult. They wonder why the reenlistment numbers have been going down, it's pretty easy to see why if your in the service, but it seems unexplainable from the other side.

The military is already full of bullshit, retarded fucking commanders and senior enlisted that the people that go up for reenlistment are fucking tired of it and say forget it and take the training they have built up elsewhere. Throwing on bottom of the barrel pay would quadruple these numbers easily.

Straight to the matter, cut our pay and have a pissed off, lowest moral in the past decade military that won't want to stick around for another contract.

Better they freeze your pay than fire your ass, the states and federal government have already started and will continue with heavy budget cuts that are resulting in huge job losses, furloughs and PAY REDUCTIONS.

Be thankful that wage stagnation is your current worst possibility.

They can't fire me.

They can only give me an honorable discharge, which at the military's current rate of non-reenlistment, would be retarded. And the probably don't want to have to pay for the benefits while I'm not working for them.

It sucks, but with budget short falls all government employees are likely to face wage freezes or worse.

I'm a state employee and had 8 forced no-pay furlough days last year. Thankfully I haven't had any cuts this year. Will likely have some more next year though now that the new republican governor is making more cuts.

Times are tough. It sucks, but that's just the way it is. The military should be the last to see freezes and cuts IMO, along with things like police, fire departments etc. given the services they provide and risks they take. Especially military as they could save more money by buidling less planes, missles etc. when times are tough (and not starting pointless wars etc.).

The thing is this is bs. Why do we have such a shortfall? Because $200,000 a year is not enough to live on so woe is me don't raise taxes on them. Instead lets cut or freeze the pay of teachers, public workers, or the military. They sure are living it up. :(

Times ARE hard. Budgets do have to be cut. But that also means taxes might have to go up for some people. And by going up I mean return to what they were when we actually had a budget surplus.

Also I agree with the op. Not paying the military has a ripple effect. Money is still expended by these programs. People will fill through the cracks. Families will be unduly stressed. The military has to deal with enough as it is. I have a friend thats husband is on his third tour in Irag. So basically he has been away from his two autistic children for almost 5 years. She can't work with the kids, and they barely scrap by as it is. So thank god they have base housing, but what are they going to eat?

And her husband has tried to get out. Remember good old stop loss? So we won't let you discharge, and we won't pay you NICE.

Like OP says the military has lots of unreimbursed expenses they are expected to pay. They should not get jerked around.

I agree 100% with that. But with republicans having the house we aren't going to see tax increases on the rich any time soon. Hell, they couldn't even let the Bush tax cuts (that never should have happened for the rich) expire.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, my parents had no idea about this and my dad's in the Army.

It's bullshit if they do it, I live on base currently and I know a majority of families that live here barely make ends meet now, things would go to shit fast. Not only that, but the two nearby cities (and the base's) economy thrives off the extra spending money that young soldiers have (every base works like this). If they take that away things are going to get hard all over.

Did anyone actually read the article? They aren't freezing military pay, it's just that if congress doesn't stop stalling and pass a budget it could happen as a result. Amblix acts like they're just instituting some arbitrary pay freeze.

bread's done
Back