French Open 2008 -- will Nadal even drop a set?

darkcecil32

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Jesus, Rafael Nadal looks absolutely invincible this year. I mean, he was obviously the heavy favorite heading into the tournament being the 3 time defending champion, but every year, there has been a match along the way where he has shown some vulnerability against a lesser caliber opponent. The Paul Henri-Mattieu match a couple years ago was epic. However, this year, it just doesn't seem like he's going to run into that. He's been nothing but dominant, and the nerves for him usually seem to come earlier in most grand slam events (see: wimbledon the last two years).

Of course, there's most likely going to be Novak Djokovic in the semifinals and Roger Federer in the final (although I think the match against Mario Ancic may be closer than most people expect; I think Ancic may steal a set if healthy), but if Nadal keeps playing like this, I don't think straight sets victories over either of those players is out of the question for him on clay.

I know I am cheering for Federer to pull this out, but Nadal just looks overwhelming and dominating at the moment. I mean he just dismantled Jarko Niemanen, and he's certainly no push-over. I guess what I'm wondering at this point is does anyone think he'll even drop a single set in the next 4 matches? And yes, I have already anointed him as the champion XD.

And on another note, just curious as to what people think Roger Federer's chances will be to ever capture the french open title if he doesn't win it this year. With the clay of roland garros playing slower than other surfaces, I think he will still have a 2-3 year window after this year. But, with his recent "struggles" and his game obviously heading for decline as he starts to get older, his chances may start to be running out. With the draw he has this year, this will be his best shot if he can finally overcome Nadal.

....And 8 days later, Nadal just absolutely dismantled Federer. I have never seen anyone destroy Roger the way Nadal just did. 1, 3, and love. That says it all. I had a hard time imagining Nadal beating a top ranked player in more dominant fashion than what he did to Djokovic in the semis, but this match one-upped even that one.

Congratulations to Nadal on an excellent tournament. With the age factor coming into play, it is starting to look like Federer may never win the French Open as long as a healthy Nadal awaits him. I have been fairly non-partisan when it comes to tennis ever since Sampras retired (although I am starting to become a Djokovic fan), but I've been actively rooting for Roger to pull out the French. He's a class act and a humble champion, and it's clear to everyone just how badly he wants to cement his legacy and bid for GOAT status by winning the French just once.

Now for my favorite tournament of the year: Wimbledon. I'm hoping for another epic final like last year's Federer-Nadal match. I think if Nadal and Federer make it back to the final, this will be Rafa's year. Although, I think a Nadal-Djokovic semifinal in Wimbledon will be far more entertaining than the beat down we witnessed in Paris.

With Nadal's struggles on the faster hard courts, I have trouble seeing him getting beyond the Semis at the US Open. I actually expect him to lose in the quarters there, so it looks like Federer will have his vice grip on the No. 1 ranking a while longer. But, the ending of this year/start of next year should be a fierce battle for the No. 1 spot between the 3 best mens players on the planet. It's a great time to be a tennis fan =].

Seeing as how Nadal was able to take Federer to 5 sets last year, if they meet at the finals Nadal should be able to take it. He's playing much better this year than last, and Federer's game seems to be going downhill, if only a little.

I love finally seeing Federer not dominating everything, but Djokovic really comes off as arrogant, so I'd almost rather see Federer win than Djokovic.

Federer is best at wimbledon - more athletic players like Nadal get the one up on clay, but on grass, I see Federer showing strong, and using that drop shot (FINALLY) more to upset Nadal (who i believe will be considered the favorite, coming off that absolute dominiation)

In accordance to Rocko's post, Federer is currently more than just going a little downhill. Federer certainly performed under par at the Australian (due to mono? Who knows), and since then he has clearly been off the ball, with losses to people like Mardy Fish. I mean, Mardy Fish, guys. There's something wrong and with half the year already gone Federer hasn't done much to convince everyone he's back on track; I think he's only won one tournament all year.

I knew Rafael Nadal would take it all. His dominance through the ENTIRE French Open was undeniable, and coupled with Federer's weaker game right now, Nadal just shredded him. Now, I would have liked Federer to win the French just to complete the career slams, but Nadal is just unreal on that surface. This brings up the question if Nadal can bring this AAA-ranked game over to grass and make the transition all the way to the finals again like last year. Like the OP said, if Nadal is playing well, I think he can do it. And if Federer doesn't bring all the stops like today, Nadal can win. I mean, last year's FO final went to 4 sets I believe. But last year's Wimbledon went to 5, Federer barely making it out alive. With Fed on the decline and Nadal riding off this huge wave of momentum and confidence, the victor of Wimbledon may not be Federer at all. In all honesty I think Djokovic is playing better and has the potential to pull an upset, as do a couple others.

i think nadal's dominance at the french is going on next year and possibly a few more afterwards. he looks unbeatable on the surface

bread's done
Back