Frippin' Idiots at Goodwill!

dabamus

Banned
I found a CE Steelbook of Doom 3 today for $5. The problem with buying is that the dumbass who priced it wrote the price on the steelbook itself with a sharpie!

Why do idiots have to price somewhat-rare games like that? :/

Ahh yes.. there was a brief period of time when Software Etc (remember them?), would put a big "U" in permanent marker on the used game disks and draw a line through the barcode. I found that a good quality pencil eraser can get permanent marker off of most surfaces. Maybe take one tomorrow and give it a shot.

Maybe I will. Thanks for the suggestion. I don't remember ever having Software Etc. in Ohio near where I live. Then again I just got into bargain hunting from this site about 3-4 years ago. :p

(I signed up in 2004, but wasn't active for a while)

It was mentioned in the rare xbox/xbox 360 games thread on here in the 360 forum. I think it is relatively rare. I'm sure that a sealed one is very rare though.

meh, I still have my doom 3 steelbook w/ slip cover I preordered and paid full price for..did yours have the slip cover still dabamus? I doubt it, but that would have made the find even sweeter! You could have still found them at GS when they carried it for $10..so that is why I question the value..

as for the marker..good luck! I have no suggestions, just be careful whatever you use..

Yeah. I don't have the slip cover. I wish it had it on it because then I could just take off the slip cover and throw it away since the idiot who priced it would have most likely written the price on the slipcover.

goo-gone can take off sharpie, although I don't know what it'd do to the steelbook (my guess is nothing, since I've used it on tin artboxes before without incident.) Goof-off, if you can find it, works better- once again, no idea if it'd hurt the steelbook.

You might want to pick up a Sharpie and a piece of steel from a hardware store and experiment with what might work to take the marker off. That way, you won't risk damaging the game in the process.

This isn't rare at all imo, but good luck getting sharpie off. I've never had to remove permanent marker from a steelbook case.

I don't really think it's that rare...I remember Walmart having craploads of them for $10 back when they had their excess Xbox stock.

Oddly enough, I may have an extra steelbook case laying around somewhere. I have an unholy amount of XBox stuff. I still have Conker, Fatal Frame 2, Guy Game and Doom 3 CE still sealed.

[quote name='token2k6']meh, I still have my doom 3 steelbook w/ slip cover I preordered and paid full price for..did yours have the slip cover still dabamus? I doubt it, but that would have made the find even sweeter! You could have still found them at GS when they carried it for $10..so that is why I question the value..

[/QUOTE]

I have this sealed with the slipcover over the steelbook. I picked it up for $10 from TRU I think. I didn't think it was worth anything.

[quote name='dabamus']Maybe I will. Thanks for the suggestion. I don't remember ever having Software Etc. in Ohio near where I live. Then again I just got into bargain hunting from this site about 3-4 years ago. :p

(I signed up in 2004, but wasn't active for a while)[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah we had Software Etc here. They were mostly in malls though

[quote name='chrisnsally']The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works wonders...even on sharpies![/QUOTE]

Really... thanks for the tip.

Not sure how it'll affect the steelbook, but writing on labware in sharpie and then removing it with rubbing alcohol is something I've done millions of times. I doubt it would cause any problems, but again, I'm used to putting it on glass, Pyrex, and Nalgene.

Don't waste your money on goo gone or any of that crap. The easiest way to get permanent marker off is to go over the permanent marker with a dry-erase marker and it'll just wipe off. Crazy shit, I know...

[quote name='dabamus']I found a CE Steelbook of Doom 3 today for $5. The problem with buying is that the dumbass who priced it wrote the price on the steelbook itself with a sharpie!

Why do idiots have to price somewhat-rare games like that? :/[/QUOTE]

Well for starters goodwill isnt a video game store. They got the game donated free. Then the fact goodwill has to have like 0 overheard so price tags and what not are to much of an expense for the most part. Then there is the fact its run by people who get paid next to nothing and dont care. Its goodwill for shits sake.

It was 5 bucks, dont complain. Besides little rubbing alcohol should fix it right up.

Mr. Clean Erasers do work wonders on almost all permanent marker marks. Red permanent marker ink is a bit tougher, though. But even better is using Goo Gone to break down the ink, then Mr. Clean Eraser to take it off gently.

I put a bit of Goo Gone on the ink itself, and let it sit a minute or two, then use the Mr. Clean Eraser and it comes off very easily. Sometimes you need to do it twice if the ink has really set in.

[quote name='xHOJUx']Ahh yes.. there was a brief period of time when Software Etc (remember them?), would put a big "U" in permanent marker on the used game disks and draw a line through the barcode[/QUOTE]
oh man this brings me back! i actually still see some of these games every now and then and it always makes me chuckle.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']goo-gone can take off sharpie, although I don't know what it'd do to the steelbook (my guess is nothing, since I've used it on tin artboxes before without incident.) Goof-off, if you can find it, works better- once again, no idea if it'd hurt the steelbook.[/QUOTE]

I highly recommend Goof-Off, because it takes off Sharpie and does wonders for sticker residue, as well. It shouldn't hurt the metal, it's listed on the can as a recommended use. One thing I found out the hard way, though, it eats the shit out of the data side of a CD.

[quote name='dabamus']I found a CE Steelbook of Doom 3 today for $5. The problem with buying is that the dumbass who priced it wrote the price on the steelbook itself with a sharpie!

Why do idiots have to price somewhat-rare games like that? :/[/QUOTE]

I haven't looked through the thread, so if this was said already, sorry. Get one of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. Those things get stuff off everything.

Edit: Sorry. Guess I just had to look at the last two posts. Seriously though, magic erasers are awesome.

I went into a sports card store once (back when they were still popular before the market saturation) and in the commons collection, the store WROTE IN PENCIL the value they were selling the cards for on the back of the cards! And of course if you erase it you made it worse because you'd rub off the coloring in addition to the writing. They couldn't be bothered to look up the price at the time of purchase, but they'd spend hours beforehand defacing the cards (and thus the value)?

[quote name='Hybrid5006']Don't waste your money on goo gone or any of that crap. The easiest way to get permanent marker off is to go over the permanent marker with a dry-erase marker and it'll just wipe off. Crazy shit, I know...[/QUOTE]protip

I think if I pick it up I'll start with trying the dry erase marker suggestion since I already have a dry erase marker somewhere.

You know what works wonders on Sharpies Gundam Marker remover. It's a marker with a clear liquid that comes out of the tip. You can get it from Hobby Link Japan.

Just a minor update on this: I never picked it up out of sheer laziness and lack of money, but I'm glad that I didn't. I found a copy complete with slip cover at a local store yesterday for $5. I'll probably go back and pick it up when I go out today.

Because I wasn't sure at the time when I was getting an original Xbox to play it on.

I ended up getting one off Craigslist last night, so now I'll pick it up. :)

[quote name='KingofGames']Nail polish remover supposedly works well. However, as others have stated, I'm not sure what it would do to the steelbook.[/QUOTE]

I do not reccomend using nail polish remover... oh, it works, yes- but it'll do weird things depending on how much acetone is in it. I have a bottle of 100% acetone polish remover. I use it as paint stripper when I recolor my pinky:st dolls... and I have to be careful or it'll start eating into the plastic and give it a white hazy look.

[quote name='dragoon99']You know what works wonders on Sharpies Gundam Marker remover. It's a marker with a clear liquid that comes out of the tip. You can get it from Hobby Link Japan.[/QUOTE]

That's just paint thinner. I have one because it helps with getting in the small corners of Gundam models, but you shouldn't buy one just for removing sharpie.

If you have a bottle of lighter fluid (naptha) put some on a paper towel and use it to get the sharpie to come off.
Wd-40 works the same.

All of the Goodwill's in Missouri (St. Louis & metro area at least) use price stickers. We've been using stickers for over 4 years now. Idk about these retarded Goodwills you're talking about. >.>
I manage one.

I see a lot of people posting about Magic Erasers, but if you've never used one before, do so with caution: They're abrasive and they absolutely will remove material beyond just the marker itself; yes, even the finish on a steelbook. Using them agressively on a CD or a cartridge will "bald" the surface, which usually looks better than the marker that was there to begin with, but still doesn't look perfect. In my experience, these work best on already-glossy surfaces.

Goo Gone works quite well, but not on all surfaces, and not with all markers; some NES cartridges come out perfectly clean, while I have a few others that have a faint outline that just won't go away. Also, be sure to clean the Goo Gone up with a little 409 (or similar cleaner), and then if you're the OCD type, wipe that off with just a little water.

bread's done
Back