From this list-Who do you think is the hardest "old school" video game boss to beat?

Kung Fu ZEPHYR

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Here's a list of "old school" bosses that I struggled to beat (I define "old school" as any game prior to the Xbox360/PS3/Wii generation of consoles). I want to know which ones you think are the hardest. I beat these bosses the old fashioned way meaning no cheat codes. Actually, I didn't have access to cheat codes when I was beating some of these guys (well, assuming you don't factor in my Nintendo Power subscription). If you know of any harder "old school" bosses, then let's hear about it (please include details). I'm looking forward to your responses.

(Side note: my list was limited to console games only since I rarely ever played PC only games. One other thing, I know someone is going to list the bosses in the monster arena of FFX but I never beat which is why there were omitted. I hear those created monsters are INSANELY hard to beat.)

Here it goes:

Mike Tyson - Mike Tyson's Punchout for NES (It took me a long time to figure out the timing of his punches . . . )

Bionically Enhanced Tyrannosaurus Rex - Turok: Dinosaur Hunter for N64 (I specifically remember struggling with this guy. I took me a while to figure out that you shouldn't go for the ammo crates)

Ruby Weapon - Final Fantasy VII for PS1 (Holy Mother of God!!! . . . It took me weeks to figure out that the Hades summon materia would work on him)

Sephiroth - Kingdom Hearts for PS2 (A LOT of preparation went into getting Sora strong enough to take him on . . . . )

WizPig - Diddy Kong Racing for N64 (I know this wasn't a badass RPG or action game, but I remember that MoFo being really hard to beat . . . )

That's my list, let me know what you think.

Not sure about the others, but Ruby Weapon definitely does not belong on that list. He's tough, but not that tough. I'd vote for FFVIII's Omega Weapon well before him.

Also not sure about KH Sephy being on there. Is the PS2 "old school" now? :whistle2:k

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Wow, PS2 counts as old school? :lol: I was expecting it to be a list of NES games.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Also, Mike Tyson is easy to beat without even getting hit. All you have to do is survive the first 1:30 which is like 45 seconds of real time.

For me it was the Grim Reaper in Castlevania - I could get to that boss on one guy with triple shot boomerang and he would kick my ass almost every time. I only beat the game a couple of times even though I put hundreds of hours into it as a kid because of that damn boss.

[quote name='mtxbass1']None of those are incredibly hard.[/QUOTE]
This. I didn't have a problem with any of these bosses, except for Sephiroth and that was easy once I leveled up.

Outside of Punch-Out and DKR, I haven't played any of those. I'd say Tyson was harder than Wizpig, but, neither were anything terrible.

We need to invent an award for "Worst Polls" just so we can award it to the OP. Between this and the Best Story thread, he's on a roll.

None of these are on my list of hardest to beat.

I would put emperor Sardius of Super Ghouls and Ghosts on SNES not only is it tough as nails to actually get to him. He pulls the ultimate dick move and tells you that you have to play through the whole damn game again!!!!!!!!!Ghouls and Ghost and Ghosts and Goblins on NES is also famous for brutal boss battles mostly due to the fact you get hit twice you're dead!

The final boss from Adventures of Bayou Billy NES - This game was so damn hard like Battletoads that few people completed the game.. I never managed to make it to the boss (always died in the shooting level with big chain gun and knife throw psycho boss combo) but, I heard he was a major pain in the ass.

Mega Man Yellow Demon/Rock Monster NES - Damn that game was tough and without the "select button" cheat you were doomed to fail.

Final Act bosses in Ninja Gaiden NES - I somehow managed to get there once and never again couldn't make it to the first boss. A friend of mine managed to get to "the castle" and then after that somehow managed to get to the third boss a couple times but, we determined that it was impossible to beat him.

All Nes Ninja Gaiden games were tough as nails II was very tough III was an absolute nightmare. I think I only managed to get to the third or fourth act in each.

Battletoads NES Hoverbike stage - Why? Why? Why did video game companies feel the need to torture kids in the 80's?

I would also second what javeryh said about Castlevania NES the Grim Reaper was one of the first times I almost through my NES out the window.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back