Front Mission Evolved 360/PS3 $9.99 New, $8.99 Used at Gamestop

This game has 200 GamerScore worth of multiplayer Achievements that will apparently take tons and tons of boosting (40 hours or so) to get. But the single-player Achievements are said to be mostly easy, so it might be a good buy for Achievement hunters who aren't worried about the full thousand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think i got about 600-700 of the achievement points in barely 4-5 hours. The Online stuff would probably be insanely hard to get now (The game was pretty much dead even during launch week

I was going to get a copy but looks like they won't let you check out with PayPal. :(

If I am wrong someone please correct me on this.

[quote name='coopscohen']It's TIV for the PS3 is $16 if you're unlocked at BB.[/QUOTE]

This is unlocked with bonues. If this was base I'd be all over it, but with a $10 base its not worth my time

Game was turrrrrible. Totally ditched the turn-based SRPG roots of the series and jumped head-first into shoot-everything-with-terrible-controls-bullshit, with highly unsavory results. Not worth buying/playing/looking at/thinking about for any reason. This is your only warning.

Took advantage of this during the B2G1 and flipped them over to BB. Changed my gamestop giftcard from xmas into a greater amount BB giftcard into amazon. Woo!

I played a copy of the old turn-based games, and they were pretty fun: Wanzer customization, tactics, OMG DID I REALLY JUST MAKE THAT SHOT type of luck things, but that was years ago.

So then I hear about this mech gaming coming to the PC. With customizable parts! I've always wanted an Armored Core I could play on my PC, so I picked this up (knowing reviews were eh to awful) hoping I could still make a fun game out of putting the different parts together.

I was wrong.

The single player campaign was terrible. I got about two hours in before becoming absolutely bored of the Point A->B->C nature of the levels, and while in some games that works really well (Call of Duty 2), it just didn't feel right to me. So I still tried to stick it out, until I realized that their custom parts only really let you pick light, medium, or heavy builds and that was about it.

I uninstalled it the next day.

tl;dr: don't buy it if you want something fun.

I thought the gameplay was pretty fun. The story and voice acting though.. whole different issue lol.

I really didn't think it was too bad wben I played it a few months ago, but at $10, it may be worth a price match.

Yeah, its not the SRPG Front Mission, blah blah blah, but its really not bad.

The online last year was dead, and mostly dominated by Euro/Asia players with top shelf parts. When I say dominated I mean DOMINATED, because starting mechs suck. Here is the summary of the gameplay: spawn, walk/run around, die in 5 seconds due to laser. Spawn, run around, die again this time from missiles. Getting into a game was hard because you need like 4 or more to start and there were barely any players online. I doubt the multiplayer is populated any better now a days.

[quote name='jupiterjones']Game was turrrrrible. Totally ditched the turn-based SRPG roots of the series and jumped head-first into shoot-everything-with-terrible-controls-bullshit, with highly unsavory results. Not worth buying/playing/looking at/thinking about for any reason. This is your only warning.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, witth extra emphasis on the terrible controls. Plus, you move R-E-A-L-L-Y S-L-O-W, and they make you do a lot of pointless walking to get to the next "shooting arena".

At least for the first full level or so, I couldn't stand to play the game past that. Not worth it at any price imo.

[quote name='Kaiser499']Hmm, wondering if I should bite at $10. Is it really that bad?[/QUOTE]
Even if it is 10 dollars? Why waste your time or money with the countless other games you could get for the same price that are a lot better?

Better yet, why not just hold onto that money for the onslaught of the inevitable 2012 games?

It's $10, I'll bite. Heck, I spent that at subway last night. I'm sure I can get my moneys worth. If not, it will join the other 200 games on the shelf...

Edit: I was an extra in the crowd of Juana Man. Easiest $200 I ever made!

PS3 version is dead online, but available for in-store pickup. I'm probably going to get a gutted copy :cry:

Thank goodness it is not one of those games that require an online pass. It may just be worth it to buy it used.

I agree with everyone that said it wasn't that good.

The online was dead basically right after it came out. Waiting forever just to get the 4 people required to come in and then get destroyed by the high level people whose parts are just better.

The single player isn't terrible but it's not that good either. If you just love mechs or have unlimited free time and played everything else maybe it's worth 10 but I would suggest to just play something else and wait for Armored Core V.

[quote name='h4mx0r']Took advantage of this during the B2G1 and flipped them over to BB. Changed my gamestop giftcard from xmas into a greater amount BB giftcard into amazon. Woo![/QUOTE]

There was a B2G1 free on new games at Gamestop?

Oh man. I wish it was easy to hack PS2, because there's actually a complete fan translation of Front Mission 5, a game that's actually Front Mission.

A group of ragtag gamers can do it, but a multibillion dollar international conglomerate can't? C'mon Square! (That actually sounds like the plot to a shitty JRPG - rimshot.)

im so bummed NA missed out on front mission 5. i almost bought a ps2 and the game in Taiwan just so i could play it.

Do the new versions of games still come with that exclusive code? I remember at launch it came with an bonus mech or something.

Probably gonna grab a PS3 copy tomorrow (Since i already got most of the Single Player acheivements on 360). Play it then flip it to BB before the price drops.

[quote name='Garfield']There was a B2G1 free on new games at Gamestop?[/QUOTE]

Naw, but I picked them up used. I re-read the thread title and realized that the used copies are now a dollar cheaper than when I picked them up.

My ps3 version did have a code in it[quote name='dgwillia006']Do the new versions of games still come with that exclusive code? I remember at launch it came with an bonus mech or something.

Probably gonna grab a PS3 copy tomorrow (Since i already got most of the Single Player acheivements on 360). Play it then flip it to BB before the price drops.[/QUOTE]

i went to 3 different gamestops. 2 of them had a open copy and tried to sell it to me new... i hate those gutted games

Part of me wants to buy it because it' has shitty voice acting. Another part of me doesn't. I will check out my GS tomorrow maybe see if they still have copies available.

Wow, got this with GS's b2g1free last week.....it's like a poor-man's Armored Core. The voice acting IS awful, as well as the characters. It's like it was written by a 13 year old.
Like you tend to do, Japan. :drool:

I'm a HUGE fan of the FM1 & 4, and this was a big let down. The narration during the FMV's was probably the most interesting thing to me, as well as the actual FMV's themselves were pretty bitchin'. Controls are fine, although it seems your Wanzer / UI takes up more screen than it should. The level design quality is pretty lame as well, especially the on-foot segments (you AUTOMATICALLY STAND BACK UP when aiming from a crouched position.)

In a sense its like the reverse of Lost Planet.

It's a rent at most, so either return it within 7 days, or flip it to Best Buy.

So much potential. Rather than going evolved they should have kept it a SRPG and just made Front mission 5. When I heard they were making a new front mission I got super excited, till I saw a video :(.

It ain't a Front Mission game if it isn't an isometric SRPG. This was a bigger letdown than taking XCOM into an FPS (though at least they've announced a new SRPG for that series).

Thanks a lot Squenix and Double Helix Games. Allow me to give you something equally valuable in return: *wrech... belch... barf*

Got a copy today. I was going to get it used but the only copy was a disc only version (with the Gamestop case, no clue if it has instructions), so instead I just decided to get a new gutted copy. Came with the extra mech dlc code which is nice.

Although those bastards ran out of $10 bills so when I went to give them $21 so I could get $10 change back instead of $9 and change, they could not do that :bomb:.

[quote name='Greatwhitecoley']So much potential. Rather than going evolved they should have kept it a SRPG and just made Front mission 5. When I heard they were making a new front mission I got super excited, till I saw a video :(.[/QUOTE]

Actually, they already made Front Mission 5, and it was still a SRPG. I played a partially translated version (menus were in english), and it's very similar to FM4. Shame it was never localized here, although I wonder if the fan group ever finished that translation. Interestingly enough, that's how I played Front Mission 1 & 2, with a fan-translated copy (not the DS version). :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_Mission_5:_Scars_of_the_War

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Got a copy today. I was going to get it used but the only copy was a disc only version (with the Gamestop case, no clue if it has instructions), so instead I just decided to get a new gutted copy. Came with the extra mech dlc code which is nice.

Although those bastards ran out of $10 bills so when I went to give them $21 so I could get $10 change back instead of $9 and change, they could not do that :bomb:.[/QUOTE]
what about two $5's? they didn't have that? I know alot of this generation can't do money without a screen teling them how ... just wondering. I've been places where they pull out the calculator to figure out they owe me $0.14, it just blows my mind!:hot:

[quote name='NuclearPorkchop']Actually, they already made Front Mission 5, and it was still a SRPG. I played a partially translated version (menus were in english), and it's very similar to FM4. Shame it was never localized here, although I wonder if the fan group ever finished that translation. Interestingly enough, that's how I played Front Mission 1 & 2, with a fan-translated copy (not the DS version). :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_Mission_5:_Scars_of_the_War[/QUOTE]

They finished at the end of 2009, and I actually just started playing it yesterday. Progress on #2 & Alternative is moving along nicely.

http://frontmission.info/wiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VideoGameTranslations

[quote name='ubdu']They finished at the end of 2009, and I actually just started playing it yesterday. Progress on #2 & Alternative is moving along nicely.

http://frontmission.info/wiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VideoGameTranslations[/QUOTE]

Oh awesome!

There was a REALLY early translation of 2 way back in the early 2000's that I tried a bit of, it was a mix of horrible engrish and random characters e'rrywhere (placeholder from swapping out the japanese text I imagine).

Thanks for the heads up, man! :applause:

bread's done
Back