Fruit Cup Etiquette

1modernboy

CAGiversary!
Here’s a bit of randomness…

I just made a quick jaunt down to the men’s room, and, as I was washing my hands, a rather well-dressed gentleman (from the meeting down the hall) walked in, gave me a polite nod, and sped along to the handicapped stall. The clincher – he brought a fruit cup. Into the men’s room. To eat. While he did his business.

Does this or does this no violate some deep-held taboo of the western world?

I know some will probably argue that eating in the john is no more unsanitary than eating in your office, or in a fast food joint, or such, but the very thought of it just seems… I dunno… wrong. Food in a public restroom (before it takes a ride through the magical human digestive tract, at least) strikes me as a bit disgusting.

Anyone care to add their $0.02?

[quote name='1modernboy']Here’s a bit of randomness…

I just made a quick jaunt down to the men’s room, and, as I was washing my hands, a rather well-dressed gentleman (from the meeting down the hall) walked in, gave me a polite nod, and sped along to the handicapped stall. The clincher – he was a fruit cup. Into the men’s room. To eat. While he did his business.

Does this or does this no violate some deep-held taboo of the western world?

I know some will probably argue that eating in the john is no more unsanitary than eating in your office, or in a fast food joint, or such, but the very thought of it just seems… I dunno… wrong. Food in a public restroom (before it takes a ride through the magical human digestive tract, at least) strikes me as a bit disgusting.

Anyone care to add their $0.02?[/QUOTE]

First things first: why is your entire post formatted?

Second, yeah, eating in the bathroom is just not something you do.

[quote name='1modernboy']The clincher – he was a fruit cup.[/QUOTE]

I do admit that I find it very disturbing that this well-dressed gentleman was, in fact, a fruit cup. I can't figure out what a fruit cup would be doing in the bathroom, but, quite frankly, I don't think that he could be up to anything good.

[quote name='jmcc']First things first: why is your entire post formatted?

Second, yeah, eating in the bathroom is just not something you do.[/QUOTE]

Pasted from Word and forgot to remove additional hard returns. Corrected.

[quote name='Zman310']I do admit that I find it very disturbing that this well-dressed gentleman was, in fact, a fruit cup. I can't figure out what a fruit cup would be doing in the bathroom, but, quite frankly, I don't think that he could be up to anything good.[/QUOTE]

:D

Goddamn it! Me no good typey today.

Also corrected.

I remember reading somewhere that there are a lot of airborne particles *coughs* after you flush the toilet. That's why dentists recommend that toothbrushes be kept at least 6 feet away from a toilet to avoid being contaminated. Wonder if he finished his fruit cup before he flushed...

[quote name='vietgurl']I remember reading somewhere that there are a lot of airborne particles *coughs* after you flush the toilet. That's why dentists recommend that toothbrushes be kept at least 6 feet away from a toilet to avoid being contaminated. Wonder if he finished his fruit cup before he flushed...[/QUOTE]

that was in maxim/fhm/stuff...one of the three (last month)...unless you read it somewhere else....and it has sickened me and i want to die now, thanks :cry:

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']that was in maxim/fhm/stuff...one of the three (last month)...unless you read it somewhere else....and it has sickened me and i want to die now, thanks :cry:[/QUOTE]

Actually, it was a random fact my professor just decided to share one day, hehe. But...hmm, I think I just grossed myself out.

Foul. Not as bad, but still a pet peeve of mine: some people at work wear iPods to the bathroom. They're not licking them and nobody else has to touch them, but it still seems wrong.

It depends, was it peaches or fruit cocktail?? :)

I think it's gross. The fact that is stuck in my head- Upon smelling something (like someone's crap), you're actually "tasting" it. The particles and molecules that comprise the "smell" enter your nasal passage and make their way to the back of your tongue (where they sit and become the smell).

Yuck.

[quote name='vietgurl']I remember reading somewhere that there are a lot of airborne particles *coughs* after you flush the toilet. That's why dentists recommend that toothbrushes be kept at least 6 feet away from a toilet to avoid being contaminated. Wonder if he finished his fruit cup before he flushed...[/QUOTE]

Mythbusters busted that rumor. They had zero contaminents on their toothbrush that was right above the toilet.

[quote name='Derwood43']Mythbusters busted that rumor. They had zero contaminents on their toothbrush that was right above the toilet.[/QUOTE]

Really? I thought that all of the toothbrushes (even the control) were contaminated with fecal coliform bacteria.

[quote name='1modernboy']Really? I thought that all of the toothbrushes (even the control) were contaminated with fecal coliform bacteria.[/QUOTE]

You are right. What Mythbusters found out was that even a toothbrush 20 feet away from a toilet had fecal bateria on it.

That being said, bringing food into the bathroom is just wrong. I was in the bathroom at my office one day and a guy brought in an uncovered styrofoam coffee cup, placed it on top of the urinal, and proceeded to piss as if this was totally normal.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to risk urine projectiles spraying all over my coffee.

That's gross, eating in the bathroom, and especially a public bathroom. Blech.

My pet peeve is when women are either already talking on their cellphone and continue to do so, accepting calls while in there (they have to answer it? they can't just call the person back?), or making calls while doing their business. I work in a corporate building and it amazes me just how often this occurs.

i remember about 10 years ago checking out a book called "grossology" in the children's section of my library... life was never the same again... i strongly advise no one reads this book :puke:

[quote name='1modernboy']Really? I thought that all of the toothbrushes (even the control) were contaminated with fecal coliform bacteria.[/QUOTE]

Yea that is how I remember. Cause I remember them saying wow we walking around in shit not in those words though.

[quote name='The Gifuto']Perhaps he brought in the fruit cup in order to disguise his true intention, feeding himself spoonfuls of feces.[/QUOTE]

:applause: :lol:

bread's done
Back