Fry's $150 Xbox 360

I have a Fry's within a 30min drive but by the time I pay for gas to get there and back and the 8% sales tax they charge it usually kills any deal.

Also why are the arcades still so expensive? I bought one for $100 (after amazon gift card) 2 years ago. My 5 yr old 360 just red ringed the other day and was figuring I could replace it for around $100 but no deal. So I ended up doing the rrod fix on it instead.

Yeah the closest one for me is 51 miles. It's still a good deal considering my 6 year old xbox just red ringed on me last night... sigh. The 4gig model is what drives me nuts. I can put my 120gig hard drive from my old model in it I suppose, though it's not exactly the official way to do it.

[quote name='ezytarget']Yeah the closest one for me is 51 miles. It's still a good deal considering my 6 year old xbox just red ringed on me last night... sigh. The 4gig model is what drives me nuts. I can put my 120gig hard drive from my old model in it I suppose, though it's not exactly the official way to do it.[/QUOTE]

This is the kit I ordered from amazon that so far has fixed my rrod:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YTRIOU/
Essentially you are redoing the thermal paste and reseating the heat sinks on the cpu and gpu. And replacing the poorly designed clamps they used with screws to hold them on more evenly. If you've ever built a pc or upgraded the cpu in one you shouldn't have any problems doing this.

[quote name='ezytarget']Yeah the closest one for me is 51 miles. It's still a good deal considering my 6 year old xbox just red ringed on me last night... sigh. The 4gig model is what drives me nuts. I can put my 120gig hard drive from my old model in it I suppose, though it's not exactly the official way to do it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you can stick it in there. But it will only be holding on via the connectors so you'll want to buy a hard drive enclosure for it. They're usually a few bucks on ebay or amazon.

[quote name='ezytarget']I can put my 120gig hard drive from my old model in it I suppose, though it's not exactly the official way to do it.[/QUOTE]

What's not official about it? You are using a MS signed drive in a new system. Sure, you can buy a MS hard drive that is "made" for the slim but unless you are upgrading capacity, there's no point. Just buy a sub $5 slim case for your old hard drive and you'll be on your way.

I didn't realize how easy it was. The hardest part was removing the ol' hard drive from my old 360. I went ahead and bought the system and got the hard drive installed. Not one single problem playing games tonight.

Thanks for the help guys.. oh and i'll be ordering that case for it via amazon. I put a tiny bit of padding in the meantime to keep the drive from moving much.

[quote name='jthieme']This is the kit I ordered from amazon that so far has fixed my rrod:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YTRIOU/
Essentially you are redoing the thermal paste and reseating the heat sinks on the cpu and gpu. And replacing the poorly designed clamps they used with screws to hold them on more evenly. If you've ever built a pc or upgraded the cpu in one you shouldn't have any problems doing this.[/QUOTE]

These kits don't really last. I've done a fix like this for a relative and it lasted about 1.5 years before it broke. The original 360's are just poorly designed and the x-clamp fix is just a bandaid instead of a more long term solution of reballing and replacing the solder on the GPU and CPU.

why is this a deal? couldn't you have just gotten a 250GB xbox 360 and games on black friday for $199?

that makes a 4gb xbox 360 for $150 look like ass.

[quote name='retrad']why is this a deal? couldn't you have just gotten a 250GB xbox 360 and games on black friday for $199?

that makes a 4gb xbox 360 for $150 look like ass.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The only reason this deal was worth it for me was a pricematch to Best Buy where I had the American Express Sync Halo 4 deal of $50 off $100, plus the Reward Zone Premier Silver $10 holiday promo certificate and double points Wednesday. Now I'm just waiting for a good deal on the 320 GB HDD.

[quote name='retrad']why is this a deal? couldn't you have just gotten a 250GB xbox 360 and games on black friday for $199?

that makes a 4gb xbox 360 for $150 look like ass.[/QUOTE]

Let's put it this way, it's not such a hot deal if you don't have 360 already. You are better off waiting for a 250 gb system deal. However, it is a deal if you already have an older gen 360. Why? Cause you likely already have most of everything and just want to replace the console because it has either RROD or just want a quieter and lighter system. I have gone through 3 Xbox 360s since 2005. Had a launch unit that got RROD naturally; replaced it with a jasper 360 which was the last "fat" unit. Then decided to get the 4GB slim for quieter operation. I already have 250gb from my "fat" system, as well as Kinect so I bought the 4GB slim last BF at Amazon for $140.

bread's done
Back