FS Fan appreciation sale [CAN]

Cthulhu8u

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Another rinse and repeat FutureShop sale starting Sunday at 5pm until Monday and online only. It features the usual 10% off games and accessories. But when I clicked on the More Deals...

HMPSP.jpg

A typo, I presume? The picture shows the PSP in it, but there's no way it could be that price. Free shipping, to boot :lol:
EDIT: Has to be a typo, the website shows this bundle as $219.97, so the math doesn't add up.

There is also
-XBOX 360 Elite Spring Value Bundle with 5 Games and Rocketfish 8' HDMI Cable $299.99
with Halo ODST, Forza 3, Mirror's Edge, Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia, Stranglehold, Jericho

-PS3 BR remote/DS3/Rocketfish HDMI cable for $99.99

-Wii Fit Plus $9.99 (game only I assume from the pic)

-
XBOX 360 Tony Hawk's Ride $49.99

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/category/id/pcfas.aspx?CMP=NLC-ALL-100423

Last edited by a moderator:
To anyone interested (and too lazy to check), the Elite Spring Value Bundle not only comes with the expected Halo ODST and Forza 3, but Mirror's Edge, Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia, Stranglehold, and one other I can't make out. Not exactly all winners, but hey. It's 5 free games.

That 360 bundle is an amazing deal. Does anyone know if this 360 model will RROD? It almost seems that microsoft is selling those attractive bundles on current 360 models to make room for a better model later in the summer or fall.

Looks like the other game in the bundle is Clive Barker's Jericho.

Mana, in terms of RRoD, if this is an updated Jasper chipset then I don't think you'll have an RRoD problem, given its an Elite Xbox I'm sure it will be a Jasper, though. I think Microsoft is getting rid of these units to saturate the market for when Natal is released in the Fall. Who knows, maybe we'll see that elusive 'Xbox 360 Slim' that's been rumoured to appear.

If it's the ODST/Forza 3 bundle, it's almost certainly a Jasper unit.

Though nobody seems to be really quite sure if the Jasper chipset fixed the RRoD or not

There are countless reports of Jaspers dying the usual RRoD that has plagued the 360 since launch. You need only check google or even Microsoft's forums for verification. My Jasper (MW2 Elite bundle) RRoD a month back.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see a reliable 360 until the rumoured "slim" is released. Well, at least I hope MS will finally get serious about delivering reliable hardware to their customers.

Regardless, that's a sweet deal for $299.99 if you don't have any of those titles.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the 360 not all that big to begin with? What the heck is the point of a "slim"

Futurefail never surprises. WTF is so appreciative about "10% off games". Seriously? They jacked up the prices of most used games last week. The 19.99 ones are 24.99 now. The 14.99 ones are 19.99 now.

Thats WTF right there. I was thinking of buying Resistance 2 for 19.99 and i see it for 24.99 the next day.

[quote name='djsaiyan']Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the 360 not all that big to begin with? What the heck is the point of a "slim"[/QUOTE]

Just a marketing scam. It sells more units. Anything to make a sale.

All I can say is they'd better not make it so old hard drives won't fit on new systems.

The new 360 is rumoured to have in internal drive, since leaked photos showed another SATA header on the motherboard. Also a better cooling setup and some other details I've forgotten (smaller chip die possibly?)

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Actually FS already has a similar bundle for the same price, just some different games and no HDMI. Replace Mirror's Edge, Assassin's Creed and Jericho for Fable 2.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...e710297dd83c42f7a694fen02&lid=fp-b9000458--en[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the insight Cthulhu8u. I was about to stick to my computer at 5:00pm to make sure to get the advertised "deal". That one you found is far better IMO, so I'll spend my evening elsewhere.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']The new 360 is rumoured to have in internal drive, since leaked photos showed another SATA header on the motherboard. Also a better cooling setup and some other details I've forgotten (smaller chip die possibly?)[/QUOTE]

I believe that 'leaked' motherboard was actually fake, it was the just the motherboard for the HD DVD drive.

[quote name='game_fanatic']I believe that 'leaked' motherboard was actually fake, it was the just the motherboard for the HD DVD drive.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:You're kidding, right? Now that is hilarious... BTW where'd you hear that? I'd love to look that up.

Thanks for the tip. I've been mildly interested in upgrading to Wii Fit Plus... but only very mildly. For $10 I can swing it though.

[quote name='collector42']you are confusing two issues. The leaked motherboard pic:

is separate from the the "photo" of the exterior of the unit, which indeed, was the hd-dvd drive.

For comparison, the hd-dvd "motherboard" is below:

360HDDVD%20039.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Thanks collector42, I found it bizarre that the apparent leaked slim motherboard could also be the HD-DVD motherbaord. What's up with the large fan, unless someone glued/photoshopped it on. Also, all those connectors at the ends seem a bit extreme for an HD-DVD unless, again, glue/photoshop.

BTW, your post is missing the HD-DVD mobo picture for comparison.

DSC00876.jpg

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']BTW, your post is missing the HD-DVD mobo picture for comparison.

DSC00876.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Not missing--I was just too lazy to circle it. I believe its attached to the back of the drive in that photo if I'm not mistaken...though yours is much clearer.

EDIT: oh you mean missing as in "not visible at all". Weird. Pic was visible for a brief time and I don't get a hotlinking warning... I'm not going to bother fixing it--your pic is perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah you're right collector, I did a quick search when I first heard of the "fake", but I was definitely confused. I better pay more attention next time! Good to know the Slim is still a possibility!

[quote name='collector42']you are confusing two issues. The leaked motherboard pic:

360slimboardrumor.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Sony made the PS3 slim not for marketing purposes, they made it because it had a lower production cost than the fatty. So if they can build it for cheaper, they wouldn't take less of a hit from hardware costs. I assume Microsoft will do the same as its rumored that the next motherboard will finally combine the CPU and GPU into one die and hopefully resolve the heat problems.

Somebody on GAF posted a rumor that MS will unveil the slim and bundle it with Natal @ e3. Sounds pretty reasonable, if they can build it for cheaper, why not?

:roll: Oh great, that's all we need is cheaper built 360s. Lets face it, no one gives a crap about the 360 slim. What we want is some piece of mind. Everytime I boot up my 360, my heart skips a beat while I watch for red lights on the console... *whew, another day at least*

Oh well, the thing is already a barebones system, so its not like they could take any features away from it like the PS3 did with card readers and USB ports. However, I bet the memory card slots get the boot, now that we have USB stick support.

They sell Xbox originals on Live, so at least I don't have to worry about losing b/c. (Thank you Sony for THAT. :bomb:)

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']:roll: Oh great, that's all we need is cheaper built 360s. Lets face it, no one gives a crap about the 360 slim. What we want is some piece of mind. Everytime I boot up my 360, my heart skips a beat while I watch for red lights on the console... *whew, another day at least*[/QUOTE]

a newer revision could also mean the problems of the old one are gone, especially if the CPU/GPU are combined. That would mean more efficint design against heat as stated previously.

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia'] bet the memory card slots get the boot, now that we have USB stick support.[/QUOTE]

yes, it seems the proprietary USB memory card slot is gone. Personally I think that's a good thing, normal USB sticks are more plentiful and cheaper.

Has this ever happened to anyone else: I ordered a couple of things for in-store pickup and the order was only partially filled for reasons that are need to know (and apparently I don't need to know!). Both games are in stock according to the web site. If I find the second game on the shelf when I head over to Future Shop to pick up the order, will I still be able to get the 10% discount? It seems almost like some kind of website glitch, which would probably mean I'm out of luck.

[quote name='MrGone']Has this ever happened to anyone else: I ordered a couple of things for in-store pickup and the order was only partially filled for reasons that are need to know (and apparently I don't need to know!). Both games are in stock according to the web site. If I find the second game on the shelf when I head over to Future Shop to pick up the order, will I still be able to get the 10% discount? It seems almost like some kind of website glitch, which would probably mean I'm out of luck.[/QUOTE]

I've never had that specifically happen to me but I've bought online things for in-store pickup, and when I get to the store with my confirmation email they don't have it ready so either I/they go to the shelf, get it and I buy it for the sale price. I think as long as it shows that you've ordered the item for ISPU on the email and it's there on the shelf, you should be able to get it. But the in-store stock status is not always reliable.

I ordered Wii Fit Plus during this sale for ISPU and I was actually surprised that they had it behind the desk ready for me. I was sure I'd have to get it off the shelf myself.

[quote name='1_blue_pixel']I've never had that specifically happen to me but I've bought online things for in-store pickup, and when I get to the store with my confirmation email they don't have it ready so either I/they go to the shelf, get it and I buy it for the sale price. I think as long as it shows that you've ordered the item for ISPU on the email and it's there on the shelf, you should be able to get it. But the in-store stock status is not always reliable.

I ordered Wii Fit Plus during this sale for ISPU and I was actually surprised that they had it behind the desk ready for me. I was sure I'd have to get it off the shelf myself.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, it's listed in the email they sent as cancelled, but the sale price is on there so I can at least show them that if the game's still on the shelf and it's not just stock checker nonsense :)

[quote name='Super Strokey']Guys that "motherboard" has a coolermaster fan on it... yeah doubt thats real.[/QUOTE]

I dunno... the PS3 has a Foxconn motherboard, why can't the heatsink fan on an XBox be Coolermaster? This isn't necessarily a release motherboard, so maybe the CM fan is temporary/eventually going to be released as unbadged?

[quote name='Super Strokey']Guys that "motherboard" has a coolermaster fan on it... yeah doubt thats real.[/QUOTE]
It's a prototype, the final version wouldn't have the sticker on it. It's probable it wouldn't even be made by Cooler Master.

I'm not saying it's real, I'm just saying that having a Cooler Master fan on it alone doesn't make it a fake either.

bread's done
Back