FTL (Faster than Light) - $5.99

drock

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Not a huge discount but the cheapest I've seen since the game launched, 40% off.

From the Developer: http://www.ftlgame.com/ - Includes Steam key. Plus Windows, OS X, and Linux DRM free versions.

Direct from Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/212680 - $5.99
With the soundtrack for $8.38

DEAD - Also at GOG: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/faster_than_light - No Steam key, includes (badass) soundtrack.

931e0dea657e07dddae4bb2c14fb0b7c1a0c23fa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Been playing this a lot lately, which says a lot because I rarely play games anymore. Still can't find a way to handle being boarded effectively by Mantis, especially when they outnumber my crew and I'm being attacked by the ship at the same time.

Venting is not quick enough to kill them, and by the time they are weak enough for my crew to fight them, all my systems are down and I can't recover quick enough - even with upgraded doors. It seems that boarding is a little overpowered, which is a shame because this is a great game otherwise.

[quote name='Yamato']Been playing this a lot lately, which says a lot because I rarely play games anymore. Still can't find a way to handle being boarded effectively by Mantis, especially when they outnumber my crew and I'm being attacked by the ship at the same time.

Venting is not quick enough to kill them, and by the time they are weak enough for my crew to fight them, all my systems are down and I can't recover quick enough - even with upgraded doors. It seems that boarding is a little overpowered, which is a shame because this is a great game otherwise.[/QUOTE]

The standard way to deal with boarding comes down to how to lure the enemy into your sick bay. If you get them there you will have the advantage even with the standard (non-upgraded) healing rate. Put as many of your crew as possible in the sick bay, then by controlling the doors and venting you will distract the boarders from their objective and make them focus on getting oxygen. Use this to funnel them to the sick bay and slaughter them all.

[quote name='donkeydrop']The standard way to deal with boarding comes down to how to lure the enemy into your sick bay. If you get them there you will have the advantage even with the standard (non-upgraded) healing rate. Put as many of your crew as possible in the sick bay, then by controlling the doors and venting you will distract the boarders from their objective and make them focus on getting oxygen. Use this to funnel them to the sick bay and slaughter them all.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice! I got to the 6th sector and lost because of ignorance on how to deal with boarders. I'll give this a shot.

[quote name='donkeydrop']The standard way to deal with boarding comes down to how to lure the enemy into your sick bay. If you get them there you will have the advantage even with the standard (non-upgraded) healing rate. Put as many of your crew as possible in the sick bay, then by controlling the doors and venting you will distract the boarders from their objective and make them focus on getting oxygen. Use this to funnel them to the sick bay and slaughter them all.[/QUOTE]

Brilliant. Just used this actually and I'm having a much easier time dealing with the Mantis. I take back what I said, guess I just didn't think it through enough! Thanks.

Yea, vent everything and run to medical bay. If you can leave your pilot, I would just to maintain your 10% evade... every little bit helps.

Just like my favorite is invading them with a mantis and a rockman. My PROBLEM is that I always somehow manage to kill them while on board the ship. It's a bummer. I stopped playing Normal because I never made it past 4. :) I HAD a fire bomb in one game and it was AWESOMESAUCE. I would shoot that at their weaps.. then invade with 2 rockmen... and hilarity ensued.

Finally bit. How the time just flew by!

Fun fact: Easy is the real normal, Normal is AHMAGHEGAWD IM ON FIRE IT BURNSESSES!

Got the
crystal ship
. Used the alternate version and ripped through Normal twice.

Four crew teleporter and three crystal lockdowns FTW!

[quote name='BingoBrown']I bought this game 4 hours ago. I have played this game for 4 hours. It is 2:30 a.m. Game is good.[/QUOTE]

That was my night too lol.

So from what I've read if I loved the Xcom Enemy Unknown because it was a turn based strategy game I will probably love this? Since it combines my love for indie games and turn based style. Deciding if I should wait for the winter sale or bite now haha.

It's just like 11 days till the winter sale, might as well wait unless you have absolutely nothing you want to play in your backlog or you want a non-steam copy.

[quote name='kiwimonster']So from what I've read if I loved the Xcom Enemy Unknown because it was a turn based strategy game I will probably love this? Since it combines my love for indie games and turn based style. Deciding if I should wait for the winter sale or bite now haha.[/QUOTE]

It's not like XCOM at all, so I wouldn't buy it based on that comparison. This is more like a rogue-like dungeon crawler, but in space.

[quote name='kiwimonster']So from what I've read if I loved the Xcom Enemy Unknown because it was a turn based strategy game I will probably love this? Since it combines my love for indie games and turn based style. Deciding if I should wait for the winter sale or bite now haha.[/QUOTE]

And it's not turn based. It has action bars that fill with time (even if you can't see it, like shields).

Normal roguelikes are turn-based. It's like 2 hours to beat, if you can beat it. You're obviously not going to do it on the first try. Or maybe even first 50.

It can be a pretty difficult game and is so very random. FTL is a pretty fun game. When I mean random, I mean really random, like you might be destroyed in your very first fight, if you mismanage something and/or the enemy happens to have the best set of weapons matched against your starting gear.

My advice is unlike most games is to play on "Easy" first to get more scrap.

[quote name='elessar123']And it's not turn based. It has action bars that fill with time (even if you can't see it, like shields).

[/QUOTE]

But you can pause to figure out your strategy, so you don't have to be a keyboard jockey to win.

Just felt the need to add to this (even though the SALE is over)...

I bought this game... I spent all weekend playing this game (the first 2 days were on Normal until I realized I was getting creamed)... let me tell you.. I beat the boss today on Easy and did a huge victory lap around my house.

I don't say that lightly. I don't tend to get emotionally involved into games. But I'll be damned if that ship was going to win again! I drew a line in the sand! And it was worth it. Even at full price (even though that goes against my CAG nature).

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']Just felt the need to add to this (even though the SALE is over)...

I bought this game... I spent all weekend playing this game (the first 2 days were on Normal until I realized I was getting creamed)... let me tell you.. I beat the boss today on Easy and did a huge victory lap around my house.

I don't say that lightly. I don't tend to get emotionally involved into games. But I'll be damned if that ship was going to win again! I drew a line in the sand! And it was worth it. Even at full price (even though that goes against my CAG nature).[/QUOTE]

I really should switch down to easy. I've somehow put 27 hours into it now on normal and I'm still trying to beat the boss.

bread's done
Back