FTP- MMORPG's and those who try um all

clok1966

CAGiversary!
I been playing Online since we did it in chat rooms (genie, compuserve, Q-link, anybody, anybody?) and some of the first graphical MMORPG's
http://www.kingdomofdrakkar.com/screen.php wow, ya still going (early 90's is when i played). I played um all Merdian 59, realms, Ultima Online.. but the first ot blow me away was EVERQUEST, its been all downhill from there (for me). I know I wont recapture that feeling when it was new (EQ), but i keep trying um all. For awhile iw was kinda expensive, buying all the games and watching um release unfinished or horribly flawed, etc.. Nowdays I have WoW (everybody hates it, doesnt play it or whatever, I still do) STonline and LoTRonline(soon to be free).

But my question, its really about 2 specific FTP MMORPG's.. I have played most of these too (well not the two Im asking about).. most are a bit to grindy for me (wow has spoiled me I know). Runes of Magic is probebly the one I think is the "best" fun wise to me.. Perfect World is nice, but the grind gets pretty bad midgame. I could go into at least 20 more.. but again, on to the question. 2 I havent tried but plan on and some peoples opinions on them.

Aika- Looks alot like most of the asian MMORPG (wonderfull looking, but most look almost the same), but they tend to be VERY VERY grindy, and this one appears to focus almost completely on PVP endgame.. so question, is it horribly gindy, and while I dont mind PvP, can i andvance without it?

Allods-This one looks pretty good, bit of a clone of WoW but that dont matter ..How grindy is this? PvP how important..etc...

Any feelings on those two games? How important are the item shops? hate um, like um, love um? And while I know it can start some ugly discussions, comparing them to WoW or even other FTP MMORPG's is welcomed by me as its the easiest way to get some idea what somebody is talking about.

Not to detract from your original question, but I was wondering if you ever tried playing DDO? I see that your biggest complaint of the Asian MMO's is the grind-y-ness, but I haven't find that to be the fact with DDO (maybe because it was originally a PTP, and focused towards the American MMO palate).

As for those two games, unfortunately I never heard of them.

Aika is actually not that grindy. It's pretty fast for leveling. I played it for 2 to 4 hours and I hit lvl 20 quick. The game takes off when you fun the quest that permanent kill you character...if you survive those you get awesome drops. So you don't need the item shops...but I am a person that will never buy ingame items.

Runes Of Magic is great but I find that you can get stuck after a certain level if you do not have allies to play with...Sure you can do other things to rank up and earn items but that takes too much time than I have.

DDO is the best imo...since you can solo it all now or join parties and item shops are not really needed unless you are doing heavy PVP and/or weekly raids.

Check my sig for links to others but like you I've been playing games on the PC since the MUD days and it's pretty hard you find an MMORPG/MMO game that captures those early days of actual adventure and exploring.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']You type that all out and can't be bothered to type a couple extra characters for "them"?[/QUOTE]

N...

...Sorry, too lazy to type that last character on my one word response, but for clarity's sake, I was talking about Allods and Aika.

This post does not exist (why can't I delete this post?)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='rumarudrathas']N...

...Sorry, too lazy to type that last character on my one word response, but for clarity's sake, I was talking about Allods and Aika.[/QUOTE]

I think he was talking about OP's usage of "um"

I played um all Merdian 59...hate um, like um, love um? And while I know it can start some ugly discussions, comparing them to

[quote name='kilm']I think he was talking about OP's usage of "um"[/QUOTE]

Shit, missed that. Running on 3 hours of sleep and back-to-back shifts makes me a retarded forum troll, apparently.

I think Kingdom of Drakkar is more to textbased games than real MMOG, but yeah, it was old, I played it back in 93 or so hehe

And then like you I moved on to Meridian 59, Starsiege Online, Ultima Online, and finally, the bane of my existence, Everquest...

Nowadays, I tried all the games from WoW, Warhammer, Lord of the Ring, and everything from asia, but I can't get the feeling that I got when I first played Everquest. Somebody help me!

I play Aika 8D I think I like it because it reminds me of Aion (much less pretty though) and my laptop here definitely could not play that behemoth.

There are a lot of quests in Aika, but the drop rate on some items is really low. When you get your pran (little fairy/girl who follows you around) the quest to get elemental essences takes a long time because of the drop rate.

Aaaaand one other thing to keep in mind is that the classes are gender locked, so although you can make your character look cool or cute, there's really no gender customization.

As for Allods, I like it. The team behind it seems to be making a big effort to listen to fan input. That and the Russion studio behind it got funded $15 million dollars so it is a pretty nice piece of work. It was too much like WoW without being WoW though for me. I may go back to it sometime though.

Just wondering if you've tried Grand Fantasia? The cutesy graphics might turn you off, but it has to be one of my favorite F2P mmos

Lord of the Rings Online is going F2P later this year. I believe the private F2P beta just started.

I've been playing Runes of Magic a little. Its a great WoW clone.

I have not tried the MMO's you posted about but I can say I just tried Dungeons and Dragons Online and I have to say it's the only MMO other than WoW I feel like I want to invest time in.

Features of DDO
-Can do quests solo or in groups. Also can redo quests at the same or a higher difficulty for better rewards.
-Quests are dungeons and inside the dungeons are hidden areas with loot and traps.
-Free to play and you do accumulate points to buy stuff in the DDO shop (like quest packs, extra char slots) by completing certain quests which is nice.
-The restrictions of a free account are not terrible. You can't play as all the races or get all the quests but you can buy them. Also you can get max level while being a free account.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I have not tried the MMO's you posted about but I can say I just tried Dungeons and Dragons Online and I have to say it's the only MMO other than WoW I feel like I want to invest time in.

Features of DDO
-Can do quests solo or in groups. Also can redo quests at the same or a higher difficulty for better rewards.
-Quests are dungeons and inside the dungeons are hidden areas with loot and traps.
-Free to play and you do accumulate points to buy stuff in the DDO shop (like quest packs, extra char slots) by completing certain quests which is nice.
-The restrictions of a free account are not terrible. You can't play as all the races or get all the quests but you can buy them. Also you can get max level while being a free account.[/QUOTE]

^ Yep. I had hit lvl 20 prior to the changes to the free service so I did not get a chance to try out the solo feature but I know 8 ppl in RL and 4 ppl online that play that game religiously using only the free service and they love it.

I actually enjoyed the unlock level ranges by drop feature it gave the drops a sense a wonder.

Some of the raids are CRAZY fun. I only did a few but with the right friends they are action pack and HILARIOUS.

bread's done
Back