Fullmetal Alchemist Blu-rays about $25 each

Not bad...but I'm on the fence whether I should watch FM before or just get into FM:A. Anyone have any input that has seen both?

The remake is MUCH better. After a certain point in the story, it get's good and never let's up.

There are only 13 ep per boxset and the 5th one isn't out yet so if you want to wait, then do so.

But I enjoyed this series far more than the original.

[quote name='Antic']Not bad...but I'm on the fence whether I should watch FM before or just get into FM:A. Anyone have any input that has seen both?[/QUOTE]

Watch the first half of the first series, because it's mostly canon. The second series rushed through this portion in the first dozen episodes, almost like a recap.

Both are interesting, but FMA1 has a lot of boring filler in some parts. I thought their non-canon take on the ending and everything else was interesting though. FMA2 overall is the better show and enjoyable throughout the series compared to the occasional slow spots in FMA1.

[quote name='elessar123']Watch the first half of the first series, because it's mostly canon. The second series rushed through this portion in the first dozen episodes, almost like a recap.[/QUOTE]

Yup, watching the first 30-ish episodes of the original series is highly recommended before starting Brotherhood, since the early episodes of the second series rushes through these stories at an annoyingly fast pace.

For those of the fence you can check a few episodes on Netflix both the OG one and the remake are on there (the OG has 52 episodes for Instant viewing the FM:B only has 14 so I gess that is vol 1...)

I have heard great things so I might preview a few episodes of each before I jump in and buy

[quote name='joshnorm']For those of the fence you can check a few episodes on Netflix both the OG one and the remake are on there (the OG has 52 episodes for Instant viewing the FM:B only has 14 so I gess that is vol 1...)

I have heard great things so I might preview a few episodes of each before I jump in and buy[/QUOTE]

Actually Netflix has both parts 1 and 2 of Brotherhood up for streaming in HD, so 26 episodes total which is almost half the series since it has 64 episodes. The original FMA series is up in it's entirety in SD, however the Conqueror of Shamballa movie, which reveals the true ending to that first series is not available for streaming.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Yup, watching the first 30-ish episodes of the original series is highly recommended before starting Brotherhood, since the early episodes of the second series rushes through these stories at an annoyingly fast pace.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't even go that far. Watching through
"the halfway mark", where Ed sees Hughs on the train platform,
or just before it happened is as far as you need to watch. If you meet
Dante
, you're definitely too far in. Personally, I think 24/25 of the first series is the stopping point. Izumi is also much more entertaining in the second series =P

[quote name='elessar123']I wouldn't even go that far. Watching through
Hughs
or just before it happened is as far as you need to watch. If you meet
Dante
, you're definitely too far in. Personally, I think 24/25 of the first series is the doing point. Izumi is also much more entertaining in the second series =P[/QUOTE]

The first series continues covering the manga's material until around episode 34, and Wrath and Dante content aside, handles the Izumi and Greed arcs better than Brotherhood does. Brotherhood's pacing doesn't even out until episode 14, which can be seen as an alternate take of the events from episode 34 from the original. Though honestly, both series are excellent and entertaining on their own merits, and there's no reason not to watch both.

[quote name='roymustang']Actually Netflix has both parts 1 and 2 of Brotherhood up for streaming in HD, so 26 episodes total which is almost half the series since it has 64 episodes. The original FMA series is up in it's entirety in SD, however the Conqueror of Shamballa movie, which reveals the true ending to that first series is not available for streaming.[/QUOTE]

Well thats good to know, I just searched on my iPhone app and glanced glad to see that its separated.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']The first series continues covering the manga's material until around episode 34, and Wrath and Dante content aside, handles the Izumi and Greed arcs better than Brotherhood does. Brotherhood's pacing doesn't even out until episode 14, which can be seen as an alternate take of the events from episode 34 from the original. Though honestly, both series are excellent and entertaining on their own merits, and there's no reason not to watch both.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I followed the series in print.

This threads rampant fanboy love of FMA makes me really happy. I loved the original series but once I started reading the mangas I could never go back. The statements of pacing are correct, it's hard for FMA newbies to follow the beginning and get all the details in the new series. That being said, FMA:B is better is almost every other reguard and I really want to buy them all on Blu but I should really wait for one large box set.

I have all these in my wish list but cant see paying $100+ for the whole set, ill wait for a $15 each price point.

I want this but I got a feeling they will release a lower price complete set as soon as the last blutay is out.

For those who got this, how is the picture quality compare to 720 p fansub?

Thanks for this. I picked up all four from Amazon and preordered from Borders season 5. I've never seen FMA:B but I was recommended FMA back before it even aired in the US by a friend and downloaded the series in subs and fell in love. It did get a bit ridiculous towards the end of the series but I still think it's one of the best animes ever made. I'm excited to see how the story truly ends since this is supposedly more accurate to the manga. Thanks again.

Wow, I guess I'm the only one who loved the first series' ending. I thought FMA was just okay until around half way through. Then I couldn't get enough. I gave brotherhood a shot after that, but left a bad taste in my mouth.

I never read the manga. Perhaps that's why it felt so off where Brotherhood differed.

If anyone is looking for the last part at the $25 range: use the code BLP2566Y @ borders.com to get the 5th part for 50% off.
Also, totally off topic but if anyone watched this on CN tonight did you see how freaking buff Ed looked? Looked like he was on roids...

After months of prolonging the inveitable and staying steadfast to wait for the complete set to come out...

I finally budged and got both Part 1 and Part 2 since they were in my Goldbox Quick Picks for $22 & change each.

Can't beat that... right?

But then that means I have to eventually shell out $75 for the next 3 volumes... gah!

bread's done
Back