Fun Time..title change by request by punksux

Lootr2Core

CAGiversary!
This week PBS is showiing a Frontline Documentary about the ground of the World Trade Center towers. it is called "sacred ground'.

I have the utmost respect/honor for 9-11 but how is the ground sacred that is HOLY?

Nah, you're not being a jerk. A tragic thing happened that day, and some people may consider it sacred ground, which I understand.

[quote name='Lootr2Core']This week PBS is showiing a Frontline Documentary about the ground of the World Trade Center towers. it is called "sacred ground'.

I have the utmost respect/honor for 9-11 but how is the ground sacred that is HOLY?[/quote]

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sacred&r=67

sa·cred ( P ) Pronunciation Key (skrd)
adj.
1. Dedicated to or set apart for the worship of a deity.
2. Worthy of religious veneration: the sacred teachings of the Buddha.
3. Made or declared holy: sacred bread and wine.
4. Dedicated or devoted exclusively to a single use, purpose, or person: sacred to the memory of her sister; a private office sacred to the President.
5. Worthy of respect; venerable.

6. Of or relating to religious objects, rites, or practices.

Sacred isn't a word reserved exclusively for religious use.

whipsmart.. looked up the defn before I posted, and it basically emphasizes the point. 4th or 5th defn of a word is not the the common every day lexicon.. ask 100 people what sacred means and I bet 90+ says something about HOLY or church or God or something.

[quote name='Lootr2Core']whipsmart.. looked up the defn before I posted, and it basically emphasizes the point. 4th or 5th defn of a word is not the the common every day lexicon.. ask 100 people what sacred means and I bet 90+ says something about HOLY or church or God or something.[/quote]

Alrighty. I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but now I think you're just trying to be a jerk. But if it serves you to prove your point, go right ahead.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='Lootr2Core']whipsmart.. looked up the defn before I posted, and it basically emphasizes the point. 4th or 5th defn of a word is not the the common every day lexicon.. ask 100 people what sacred means and I bet 90+ says something about HOLY or church or God or something.[/quote]

Alrighty. I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but now I think you're just trying to be a jerk. But if it serves you to prove your point, go right ahead.[/quote]

ah you are just upset because I watched jay and silent bob strike back and I finally get your avatar/nick.

[quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='Lootr2Core']whipsmart.. looked up the defn before I posted, and it basically emphasizes the point. 4th or 5th defn of a word is not the the common every day lexicon.. ask 100 people what sacred means and I bet 90+ says something about HOLY or church or God or something.[/quote]

Alrighty. I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but now I think you're just trying to be a jerk. But if it serves you to prove your point, go right ahead.[/quote]

ah you are just upset because I watched jay and silent bob strike back and I finally get your avatar/nick.[/quote]

Watch Chasing Amy and you'll get a better idea.

And I'm not upset. But just because the "4th or 5th defn" is not a common usage, doesn't make it any less correct. "Holy" can also be used without a religious context.

Pieces of geography are often considered sacred in recognition of a notable event that took place there. The island of Iwo Jima is a wretched piece of real estate but remains a pilgrimage site for Marines born decades after that battle.

There is a train station in Spain that is always going to invoke strong feelings for the people of the country. Likewise for a school in a town that was formerly anonymous even to most Russians but now and forever after the name Beslan will carry an emotional payload.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='Lootr2Core']whipsmart.. looked up the defn before I posted, and it basically emphasizes the point. 4th or 5th defn of a word is not the the common every day lexicon.. ask 100 people what sacred means and I bet 90+ says something about HOLY or church or God or something.[/quote]

ah you are just upset because I watched jay and silent bob strike back and I finally get your avatar/nick.[/quote]

And I'm not upset. But just because the "4th or 5th defn" is not a common usage, doesn't make it any less correct. "Holy" can also be used without a religious context.[/quote]

i saw chasing amy many moons ago.. I'll agree 4th defin doesn't make it less correct.. (man thas my gold in many an arguement..) I'm just saying when people talk about sacred.. as in 'ground zero' its really a loaded term.

It really just sounds like a minor semantic argument. It may not be the number 1 definition but it dosent matter because it IS technically one definition of the word.

Though if you really see a problem with it you could suggest a better word for their purposes and mail it to them with a nicely worded explaination of why you think it would be a better choice.

[quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='Lootr2Core']whipsmart.. looked up the defn before I posted, and it basically emphasizes the point. 4th or 5th defn of a word is not the the common every day lexicon.. ask 100 people what sacred means and I bet 90+ says something about HOLY or church or God or something.[/quote]

And I'm not upset. But just because the "4th or 5th defn" is not a common usage, doesn't make it any less correct. "Holy" can also be used without a religious context.[/quote]

i saw chasing amy many moons ago.. I'll agree 4th defin doesn't make it less correct.. (man thas my gold in many an arguement..) I'm just saying when people talk about sacred.. as in 'ground zero' its really a loaded term.[/quote]

Why is it a loaded term? You're trying to get at something without directly saying it, and I would like to know what it is.

to all above.. my post reveals my thoughts.. when I hear sacred I hear Holy/God/something special....so when I see the PBS is showing a documentary about 'sacred ground' I don't think about the world trade center.. though I think it is special, (like the vietnam memorial or arlington cemetary, or gettyburg national battlefield) the same as Calvary, or Jerusalem, or Mecca, or LLhasa.

I see PBS trying to capitalze on this terrible thing by using language that conveys a different meaning than what they are advertising..

[quote name='Xevious']To answer your question Loot:

Whats sacred to people is relative.[/quote]

I think this thread should've ended here, but since it is still in discussion, I'll throw in my two cents.

It wouldn't be hard to do what you are suggesting is happening with this program. That is, take advantage of the sensitivity surrounding 9/11. Even if that is the case though, not only would they not be the first to try to exploit the emotions of those who are truly involved in 9/11, but they also wouldn't be the first to regard it with almost religious reverence.

Let's assume they are using the word as you think they are, to suggest a spiritual bond for the grounds surrounding the Twin Towers. I wouldn't see it that way, but that is do to the fact that no part of my life was really affected by the event. I almost lost an uncle (one of the firefighters) though, and if I had, I would be thinking about this in a totally different mindset. I am by no means a spiritual person. I often wish that I was, though I do not think it was meant for me. But had I actually lost someone in regard to 9/11, I think I would look upon those grounds with the same reverence I would hold during service. If only out of respect for those who were lost and those who have lost.

Sorry if I got a little preachy there, but I don't think it's a stretch to call that area 'sacred'. I'm sure there are some who regard it that way.

Reverence is a good word.. Reverent ground.. would probably hold the meaning to what folks are trying to say, although it basically means the same thing according to webster's, has less 'baggage/politics/mindset as SACRED.

[quote name='punqsux']and who is this punksux thats requesting these changes?!
:lol:[/quote]

Oh just some misc. punk that likes to bust my balls. you shouldn't worry (unless you are a ball busting punk)

Your problem is that you have a very limited view on the concept. The concept of sacredness is used in cultures with entirely different religious concepts but still translates because the emotions are the same. Neither monotheistic or pantheistic. It comes down to this place or thing being special for a reason that resonates with those told the tale or in the case of something so recent witnessed it directly or via live broadcast.

My last visit to New York was in summer of 2000. I'd done the tourist thing the year before and stood at the top of one of the towers. Even shot a few pictures. Those photos give a perspective that now exists only for low flying aircraft. The view of the city is likewise changed. I am an atheist by practice but I know if I ever visit New York again and go to where the WTC once stood I'll experience emotions ordinarily reserved for the deaths of family and close friends. For something to have that effect is as close as I'd ever come to calling something sacred.

[quote name='epobirs']Your problem is that you have a very limited view on the concept. The concept of sacredness is used in cultures with entirely different religious concepts but still translates because the emotions are the same. Neither monotheistic or panthe[/quote]

Man I just must laugh at your presumptions. I majored in Cultural Anthropology, got my masters in DIVININTY, and am currently employed in a religious field... and I have a limited concept in what sacred means? You state my problem... how is the WTC footprint a religious concept?

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Xevious']To answer your question Loot:

Whats sacred to people is relative.[/quote]

I think this thread should've ended here.[/quote]

I think I answered Loots Question. I applied a philosophical principal called Occam's Razor.

Here is the defination of Occam's Razor:
One should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

What this means in a round-about-way is that the simplest answer is most likely the correct answer. I hope this was helpful and educational too.

[quote name='crazytalkx']This thread's name is VERY misleading![/quote]
Agreed. I thought it was about lightguns or something.

bread's done
Back