Funcom’s MMO The Secret World No Longer Requires Subscriptions

scottc1s

CAGiversary!
I personally been waiting for this game to no longer require a subscription.

Here is the info from Funcom:

New players will still need to pay $30 for the base game but will be able to access all of the content release thus far for the conspiracy-laden online title. You can still shell out monthly fee if you choose. Doing so gets you the following perks:
For those who want to get the most out of their Secret World experience we have an optional Membership available. Being a monthly subscriber, for the same cost as before, now gives great benefits. For being a member you get the following:
• Time Accelerator (Clickable item which increases experience gain for defeating monsters by 100% for 1 hour, 16 hour cool-down – only usable by Members and Grand Masters)
• $10 worth of Bonus Points (given out every month)
• Item-of-the-month gift (given out every month)
• 10% discount to everything in the in-game store
The Grandmaster pack includes all these benefits and gets an additional 10% discount to everything in the in-game store, for a total bonus of 20%. So being a Grandmaster is better than ever!
Through the month of December we have a special offer where we give 30% off on the first purchase on the 3, 6 and 12 month Membership plans.

Hm. This is another one that we were repeatedly told would never go F2P. Oh, well, as interesting as the premise sounds, I have so many MMOs I don't have time for now, I can't justify the temporal investment let alone the fiscal one.

[quote name='warreni']Hm. This is another one that we were repeatedly told would never go F2P. Oh, well, as interesting as the premise sounds, I have so many MMOs I don't have time for now, I can't justify the temporal investment let alone the fiscal one.[/QUOTE]

And it didn't go F2P. It's just a buy-once type of deal, like Diablo and Guild Wars.

I'll grab it in the next Steam sale.

Just started playing the game about a week ago and I'm loving it. The setting is awesome.

It should be noted that the wording on the game's website suggests that if you want all current content you have to get in before the end of the year. Like after the 31 it'll probably go F2P but require micro-transactions for content packs like the superhero MMOs do.

Pure speculation on my part.... From the website:
Buy the game before December the 31st and all the content in Issue #5, which will be released shortly, will also be included and you will receive the Initiate Pack, which includes strong starter weapons, a Blood Raven pet and extra social clothing.

This is a really good game. It has one of the most interesting character development systems I've seen in an MMO, a storyline and quests that would fit into a single-player RPG without any issues and some really great instance/dungeon gameplay.

It deserves a look from anyone who even remotely enjoys MMOs.

I've been wanting to pick this up since release, but I haven't had enough time to play an MMO to justify a monthly sub. I will have to pick this up before the end of the month.

Maybe when I was in my 20s I'd give this game another go but I do not have the time like I use to spend on an MMO these days. Looks nice tho.

[quote name='Shimrra']Maybe when I was in my 20s I'd give this game another go but I do not have the time like I use to spend on an MMO these days. Looks nice tho.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly why I'm excited about this. I don't have the time to play a game enough to justify $15/month. I'm about halfway through Assassin's Creed 3, and I started that right when it came out; work keeps me occupied all the time. But if there's no subscription fee, I can play whenever I have time. I could have two months between logins, and only play for an hour.

bread's done
Back