FX Terriers officially cancelled:(

Shame stupid show like Jersey shore or Keeping up with Kardasians gets resigned yet a good show goes down the shitter.

Probably has something to do with FX's shitty, cryptic TV spots. I follow film/television/music way more than the average person and I still had absolutely no clue what they were selling with those bullshit promo ads that they were using for weeks leading up to the premiere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNgFc7398Ks

I can't remember if there were more, but what about that tells me that it's a detective show run by the guy responsible for The Shield?

It kind of pisses me off just thinking about it.

[quote name='Mojimbo']Probably has something to do with FX's shitty, cryptic TV spots. I follow film/television/music way more than the average person[/quote]

But you don't know what a teaser is?

[quote name='Mojimbo']Probably has something to do with FX's shitty, cryptic TV spots. I follow film/television/music way more than the average person and I still had absolutely no clue what they were selling with those bullshit promo ads that they were using for weeks leading up to the premiere.

I can't remember if there were more, but what about that tells me that it's a detective show run by the guy responsible for The Shield?

It kind of pisses me off just thinking about it.[/QUOTE]

I think the marketing in general for this show was kind of weird. I could never tell if it was supposed to be a serious drama, comedy, dark comedy, or some combination of such. As a result it never really grabbed my attention to watch it.

I don't know why, but I just never really got into this show. I watched five episodes and waited to get hooked but it never really happened. I feel bad that it got canned though because both leads are excellent actors and Shawn Ryan did make my favorite show ever.

I watched part of one episode and was like WTF is this crap?? I then instantly felt stupid that I had the channel on MTV to begin with!! Who stole my remote?! :bomb:

Oh, wait...this is not a thread about the 16 & pregnant show on mtv? WTF is terriers? Dammit, why couldnt they cancel that show instead of this one...nevermind!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JohnBoy1280']To be honest I'm surprised the show lasted as long as it did. Thought it would have gonna gone down the shitter a lot sooner.[/QUOTE]

If it was on a network it would have but on cable there was no reason not to air it.

I was wondering where this show went, I saw a lot of commercials for it, a dude with a dog under a board walk, never really understood wtf it was about, then just stopped seeing anything about it.

I basically would've been the target audience for this, but I never get it a shot. Reasons? One, I hate Donal Logue. I see people constantly gush over him, and I've never ever understood why. Two, I watched Justified. The problem with that is FX has never quite figured out how many commercials is TOO MANY. Every other break, it was that damn Terriers commercial. Three, that fucking commercial. Look, when you put lines like "We'll jump down, turn around, pick a bale of cotton if you pay us enough." in a commercial, you lose me entirely. It's not clever, it's not funny, it's just clunky. When I saw it over and over and over again, it literally put me off the show entirely.

I will, however, be man enough to admit that it's a shame it got canceled. Every I've talked to that did watch it loved it, and I never like to see quality stuff get canned, especially given some of the crap that's still on.

I figured this was coming, but it still sucks. I loved the show, but I can see why it got canceled. The previews for it were fucking terrible. Seriously, I can't imagine doing a worse job of promoting the show.

It seemed like FX wanted it to fail. Very little promotion compared to Lights Out which is basically shoved down the throat.

Agreed with the bad marketing, I have never seen this show because FX failed to ever tell me what it was about, and considering I watch Always Sunny weekly and catch reruns of other stuff all the time they had ample opportunity to do so.

[quote name='sdclippers']It seemed like FX wanted it to fail. Very little promotion compared to Lights Out which is basically shoved down the throat.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I got just as tired of the Terriers commercials as I did Lights Out. All I wanted to do was watch my Sons of Anarchy and be done with it.

I think the Terriers commercials told you jack shit about the show. At least Lights Out has an obvious title and you have an idea of what to expect from the commercials. Terriers commercials had a dog on a beach. And "Terriers" doesn't mean anything to the average person, or if anything they think of dogs and "Maybe this is a show about dogs."

The FX President won't admit to the advertising campaign being shit. He said after the low ratings came in, they took a test group of 600 people who had never seen the show, showed them the commercials, showed them the pilot, then showed them the commercials again. The end result is the people thought the commercials represented various aspects of the show, probably its off-beat nature and quirkiness.

The questions should have been "Did the commercials make you interested in watching the show?" not whether the audience "got it" in relation to the commercials AFTER they had seen the show. Just absurd logic really.

So because he felt the marketing wasn't a failure, the FX President said it wasn't worth giving the show a second season. He more or less said if it was poor marketing by FX he would have given the show a second chance with better marketing.

FX's marketing department and whatever department does surveys about the success of the marketing department need to get their heads checked, along with the FX President.

Terriers was easily the best series on broadcast or cable television this year.

The bad marketing seems like thats what did Terriers in. Like for a show like Lights Out they didn't show someone flicking a light switch on and off.

There are several reasons for the show going under...

1) The defenders was on at the same time, while terriers started a week earlier a lot was unknown due to the poor marketing campaign... The reason why this is important is simple... Terriers is very linear, if you missed an episode you were out of luck... A lot of shows do bad with linear story lines as if you dont keep up someone just getting into the game at episode 5 is out of luck. Defenders however had no such issue.

2) The commercials were as noted shitty... Along with the name, neither tell you much about the show, or what was going on. While not every title is obviously going to be a winner, vs say the defenders... Thats what they were Defenders, so it made the demographic a lot easier to note, it also made the central story easier to advertise. That was a big issue too about terriers... They were PI's who got 1 SUPER job and 13 epsiodes about basically figuring it out. This is very hard to advertise (if you watch the ad's that was the point of them, but this is only apparent if you watch the show)

3) IT WAS NOT ON ANY PREMIER LIST I SAW. My girlfriend had to do a paper on a show during the fall season. I told her to do this show as it looks interesting and I told her sure to be canceled. When she linked me to the page she was using for the paper, Terriers was not listed. This was a common problem, my mom had no clue about it. Co workers knew nothing, friends, etc. This was like say better off ted if no one is talking about it, obviously its not really out there.

4) The end of the season kinda marked the end for an easy story... It felt like they knew it was over from the start and went the way of happy town. While the story keeps going you find out who the magic man was (or in this case behind it all), and the rest is just "sorry network sucks"

bread's done
Back