FYE Going out of business? YMMV

Algertman

CAGiversary!
I'm new at posting so I hope this goes to the right place. If you have a F.Y.E. near check to see if they are going out of business. I have 2 around where I live and one is going under.

Everything in the store is at least 25% off. This is Hoover, Al. Some stores carry video games some do not.

I just visited one that was closing yesterday, I picked up a bunch of good games

Everything in store was 15-40% off. Oddly, they even had some current releases like New SMB Wii and I think I even saw some MW2.

Xbox, GC, GBA, and PS1 (yes, PS1) games were 40% off. PS2, PS3, 360, Wii, DS, PSP, were all 15%. Accessories too. If you have a closing store around you I'd definitely recommend stopping by.

Didnt they overtake the old Music store THE WALL?? I believe so.

Funny as I was going through some old CD's and found a THE WALL sticker on one of the cases. Miss those days with that Guarantee where if your disc didnt work you took it in with that sticker and they gave you another copy. Awesomeness.

Might want to Check out some Suncoast Movie Stores as well. Mine is closing on my local mall. I believe they may be closing FYE's and/or suncoasts that are close to eachother. The one that is doing better may stay. Just my thought as the Suncoast in my mall is literally about 50 feet from the FYE and they are obviously owned by the same company.

Yes I know Suncoasts dont sell Games but they sell Blu-Rays for PS3's and for those of you that still have HD-DVD players they still sell some old USED HD-DVDs as well. PLus Video Game Figures are sold there as well. Im hoping the Gears of War Lancer by me is still there when they are 50% off making it $45. Id get it in a second.

The one in my college town is closing, but I think it's mainly because they charge 18.99 for a CD and typically movie prices are between 26.99-29.99 new. They do carry some quality stuff, but it's overpriced. The reason they're closing is because the rent was too high. I did manage to snag some posters for 4.99 each though, but the games are like 10% off, and most of the stuff you can get 10% off in there is even cheaper new elsewhere.

My local one is closing. It's kinda sad but makes sense (nobody ever went there).

I tried to see if they had any PS3 console deals but of course no.

Deals and finds are very YMMV on this, so use at your own discretion.

The on at the H.I.P. just outside chicago is going out. on BF I asked an employee when they announced the were closing and she said almost a week before. It amuses me when national chains go out because it seems the all hire the same liquidation company because the all have the exact same signage. At least they are not as bad as Hollywood video when they close. One day their there and one day there not.

I dont know how but we still have 5 in the Buffalo area. 3 mall/mall type stores and 2 superstores. They will close some of them, they have to eventually. I hope no thought, some great deals over the years.

As others have mentioned, they've been closing stores for a long time. Everytime I go to a mall, I do try and check out whether or not their FYE is closing. In the end, a lot of their deals suck, anyway. The last one I found closing was only days away from shutting their doors, the store was nearly empty, and they still only had 30% of everything. And of course, the games were almost all full MSRP, anyway.

I can walk into my FYE and find PC games that list their requirements as Windows 95 still listed as $50. The store just sucks, they try to do too many things.

[quote name='Algertman']I'm new at posting so I hope this goes to the right place. If you have a F.Y.E. near check to see if they are going out of business. I have 2 around where I live and one is going under.

Everything in the store is at least 25% off. This is Hoover, Al. Some stores carry video games some do not.[/QUOTE]

I'm from Hoover, as well. The FYE across from the Galleria does not carry any video games. Still a good deal for those seeking DVD / BluRay or music deals, of course. I just wanted to make sure everyone was aware of that. Thanks for the original info. I'll check them out tomorrow.

I'm not sure how any of them stay in business. I went in one during the summer trade-in promotion and asked them if they would give me a bag, they refused. I asked if I bought a pack of gum, if they would kindly put it in the bag - they refused. They said I had to buy at least a CD.

Besides the obviously bad customer service demonstrated above, they didn't have shit in there worth buying. There used prices were more than Wal-Mart's new prices. I couldn't find one thing in that hole less than 10 dollars, not even used stuff. I'll look forward to the day mine closes, but it is in a mall... it'll just be filled with another equally overpriced store soon.

[quote name='xDerekRx']I dont know how but we still have 5 in the Buffalo area. 3 mall/mall type stores and 2 superstores. They will close some of them, they have to eventually. I hope no thought, some great deals over the years.[/QUOTE]

Yes, we do have a lot around here, however its probably because the canadians buy from them regardless, as if people don't know how to shop at Amazon or on ebay for media items. I bet a lot of people around here don't know how to shop online judging by the crowds I see in malls here. I don't even bother going into FYE because they are so incredibly overpriced, I mean they make gamestop look good. At least gamestop drops prices across the board on a single title so its possible to get games for cheap from them. Also the clearance sales that were posted here (like 75% off Gamecube/Xbox/PS2) have almost never applied to the Buffalo stores.

The only thing I would like is for FYE to reduce the prices on some of their anime/gaming merchandise, there is a pac man tote bag there that I want and I would buy some of the plush toys if they ever went on clearance.

One FYE in Boynton Beach, FL is getting rid of their games section, and one FYE in West Palm Beach, FL (stand alone store, not in a mall) is closing it's doors.

bread's done
Back