FYE selling 80gb ps3 $299, uncharted bundle $400 (ymmv for now)

thats a good deal, I got my 40gb for that price with the Sony Card $100 rebate but I would have loved an 80gb since its not as stripped down as the 40gb

[quote name='lokizz']how long till someone posts that its not cheap enough ? btw are these the regulr 80gbs or the ones with bc?[/QUOTE]

I second that question ...

So if the store is selling the 80gb for $299, do they have a sign by the ps3s or is it scan only to find out if its that price or what?

On a somewhat related note how would I be able to tell if the PS3 has BC without opening the box? I currently have a 60gig without BC but would be tempted to upgrade. Especially because racking up trade credit with FYE is so easy.

This is killing me, I have a 60 gig ps3 that I might trade in (since there is a history of them dying) but only if the price drops so I can use the credit (at gamestop) to get another (read: newer) ps3.

[quote name='cheeky']On a somewhat related note how would I be able to tell if the PS3 has BC without opening the box? I currently have a 60gig without BC but would be tempted to upgrade. Especially because racking up trade credit with FYE is so easy.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean you have full BC since the 60gb had all the ps2 hardware in them. I wouldn't get rid of that model for a new one since it would probably do BC through software emulaton and not be as compatible. I don't think they will have it available at all. Not worth trading up especially if you keep your PS3 well ventilated and vacuum it. There is no way you would have a 60gb model without BC unless someone took out an original 80gb drive and switched it with the 60gb in your model . Easy way to tell if your unit is BC is if it has 4 usb ports.

I'm not a ps3 owner, so this may seem like a stupid question, but why do people care so much about the BC? Why not just hook your ps2 up and play your ps2 games on your ps2?

[quote name='perdition(troy']I'm not a ps3 owner, so this may seem like a stupid question, but why do people care so much about the BC? Why not just hook your ps2 up and play your ps2 games on your ps2?[/QUOTE]

Well some people never owned a PS2 like myself (I hadn't bought a system since the sega genisis days) or some other people sold their PS2 to upgrade to a ps3. Also some people just wanted one system to do it all so they wouldn't have all the extra wires and controls etc. I mean the PS2 library kills the PS3 library. So it is a nice option being able to play the classics especially for people like me who haven't.

[quote name='perdition(troy']I'm not a ps3 owner, so this may seem like a stupid question, but why do people care so much about the BC? Why not just hook your ps2 up and play your ps2 games on your ps2?[/QUOTE]

Because most people don't want the clutter of having an extra console in their entertainment center plus wires plus an extra set of controllers plus taking up an optical input on your receiver. The PS3 also upscales PS2 games.

I love having BC on my PS3 and would be very pissed if I lost it.

[quote name='3rdbass']Well some people never owned a PS2 like myself (I hadn't bought a system since the sega genisis days) or some other people sold their PS2 to upgrade to a ps3. Also some people just wanted one system to do it all so they wouldn't have all the extra wires and controls etc. I mean the PS2 library kills the PS3 library. So it is a nice option being able to play the classics especially for people like me who haven't.[/QUOTE]

you can buy a ps2 to play those classics if you don't like ps3 games.

[quote name='jubeininja69']you can buy a ps2 to play those classics if you don't like ps3 games.[/QUOTE]

Goodness. It's not hard to understand why so many would prefer to have just one machine hooked up which can play both.

And I'm sure he meant the number of worthy games in the PS2 library kills that of the PS3 library. He didn't say he doesn't like PS3 games.

[quote name='snowmizer']Goodness. It's not hard to understand why so many would prefer to have just one machine hooked up which can play both.

And I'm sure he meant the number of worthy games in the PS2 library kills that of the PS3 library. He didn't say he doesn't like PS3 games.[/QUOTE]

you can complain all you want, but BC is not coming back at least anytime soon.

Wow, that is a great deal, it is times like these when I wish I had waited to buy, but I'm still happy with my PS3, so all is well.

I thought I would note that this would be a perfect time to take advantage of the Backstage VIP program. The program is $10 a month (I think $9.99 to be exact) however, you do get the first month for free. As a member you get:

• $20 Giftcard by mail for signing up (Just send the card in)
  • 10% off all purchases and I did find out the other day it is stackable with all other discounts, there may be some problems when using other discounts and they may need to get the manager, but it is able to be used with any other discount (20% off on your birthday :D)
  • In the packet they give you get $5 of a $35 purchase (has to be used on another purchase, but you could get an accessory, game, etc. if they are running any new rebates you can even use it off the full price of the game and get the rebate back, i.e. a $40 game, $10 after rebate would end up being closer $5, even a little less with the 10% off)
  • Also in the packet is a coupon for 30% off a used CD or DVD (again separate order)
  • If you log onto the Backstage Pass website (it takes a few days until you can do this) you can print a coupon for $3 off a game, CD or DVD priced at $12.99 or higher
  • Plus, there are discounts for food, entertainment, etc. I found a lot of food deals for 10% off, buy a pizza get one for $0.99, etc. and for movies they sell them for $6.50, but you have to buy them online and pay shipping, so not a huge savings. Plus, there are a lot of other discounts for stores and things.
The program has been great and can save you a lot of money. I would actually consider it if it wasn't $10 a month, as this seems a little steep since I've only used it for F.Y.E so far and don't know how much I would use it on other things (I have already forgot to use it at several places where I could have :cry: ) Since getting it I have saved well over $10 at F.Y.E but know this won't be the situation every month, but it still has been fun to use, especially for free :applause: .

Anyway, for no cost the first month definitely something to check out if you plan to get the PS3 since you would save $29.90 on the PS3 ($59.98 if it is your Birthday :drool: ) and you get the $20 giftcard and other savings. As far as I know 10% should cover sales tax in most areas, so you will most likely be able to walk out the door with a PS3 for under $299, which would be awesome and I'm not sure if it is over (I think it is), but if the no tax day thing hasn't past, this would be a really sweet deal to take advantage of it on.

So I thought I would just make note of that, I'm sure most of you are already aware of it, but if you are planning to get the PS3 this may be worth the slight hassle of canceling the membership if you don't want it after the first month and hopefully someone will find this useful to know.

Congrats to all the new PS3 owners I'm sure will be coming from this promo! Enjoy that new console smell and that joy of opening the system :drool:

[quote name='3rdbass']Do you mean you have full BC since the 60gb had all the ps2 hardware in them. I wouldn't get rid of that model for a new one since it would probably do BC through software emulaton and not be as compatible. I don't think they will have it available at all. Not worth trading up especially if you keep your PS3 well ventilated and vacuum it. There is no way you would have a 60gb model without BC unless someone took out an original 80gb drive and switched it with the 60gb in your model . Easy way to tell if your unit is BC is if it has 4 usb ports.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I might have an 80gb. Will check when I get home. I would still upgrade to BC though.

actually Sony is putting out time bombs in the Firmware code to slowly kill off the 60GB launch PS3's because it is very expensive for them to fix and source parts especially the Emotion engine chip which is no longer made.

Here's another question: since they are obviously dropping the price to get rid of the remaining consoles to make room for the ps3 slim, what would be the main differences between the regular 80gb ps3 that is out now, and an upcoming ps3 slim. Asides from size and possible BC, is there any real reason to not buy a 80gb ps3 for $299 now and hold off for the slim

[quote name='Thoridin']Here's another question: since they are obviously dropping the price to get rid of the remaining consoles to make room for the ps3 slim, what would be the main differences between the regular 80gb ps3 that is out now, and an upcoming ps3 slim. Asides from size and possible BC, is there any real reason to not buy a 80gb ps3 for $299 now and hold off for the slim[/QUOTE]

No one know the differences yet -- the Slim is still just a rumor.

[quote name='Thoridin']Here's another question: since they are obviously dropping the price to get rid of the remaining consoles to make room for the ps3 slim, what would be the main differences between the regular 80gb ps3 that is out now, and an upcoming ps3 slim. Asides from size and possible BC, is there any real reason to not buy a 80gb ps3 for $299 now and hold off for the slim[/QUOTE]

The biggest difference and reason I can think of aside from functionality (which should be essentially the same, unless they do finally release BC software in a patch for all PS3s) would be the energy savings and heat reduction that normally comes with smaller, typically more efficient, parts. I am perfectly contempt in the thought of buying a slim to save power, since I'd be using it for both games, movies, and who knows what else...

Continuing off what Nintendofan1 said, just sign up, put your b-day as when you're gonna buy the console and then go and buy it. You save $80 (including the $20 GC). Then just cancel it. :D

And I have a PS2 & PS3 but I don't want to keep on switching when I want to play my PS2 games.

[quote name='pram12']Continuing off what Nintendofan1 said, just sign up, put your b-day as when you're gonna buy the console and then go and buy it. You save $80 (including the $20 GC). Then just cancel it. :D

And I have a PS2 & PS3 but I don't want to keep on switching when I want to play my PS2 games.[/QUOTE]

Nice try but no dice. The BACKSTAGE PASS does not work on Hardware.

Also if you want to see this deal check out my blog and forum post on this. I have a pic of the signage for this.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=10051

[quote name='Oswald9599']Nice try but no dice. The BACKSTAGE PASS does not work on Hardware.

Also if you want to see this deal check out my blog and forum post on this. I have a pic of the signage for this.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=10051[/QUOTE]
Aw, bummer, I was counting on trying to use that for some serious SAVINGS!!!! Oh well. Maybe the Sunday Ads will have something for me there!

[quote name='Thoridin']\what would be the main differences between the regular 80gb ps3 that is out now, and an upcoming ps3 slim. Asides from size and possible BC, is there any real reason to not buy a 80gb ps3 for $299 now and hold off for the slim[/QUOTE]

The SLIM will be ...slimmer. If that's not reason enough to hold off, I don't know what is. But seriously, I've been saying for a long time that I would buy a PS3 if it was $300, and now it is, but I still have to wait and see if these rumors are true. Oh well, it's not as if I have nothing to play right now, but getting a new console is always so exciting.

[quote name='Master Ninja']actually Sony is putting out time bombs in the Firmware code to slowly kill off the 60GB launch PS3's because it is very expensive for them to fix and source parts especially the Emotion engine chip which is no longer made.[/QUOTE]

...and you know this how?

The 60s are way out of any manufacturer warranty.... so why would Sony kill them?

[quote name='pram12']Continuing off what Nintendofan1 said, just sign up, put your b-day as when you're gonna buy the console and then go and buy it. You save $80 (including the $20 GC). Then just cancel it. :D

And I have a PS2 & PS3 but I don't want to keep on switching when I want to play my PS2 games.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that would work, at least when I signed up, the lady asked for my ID, she seemed very to the book, so that may not be everywhere, but she did ask for my ID.

[quote name='Oswald9599']Nice try but no dice. The BACKSTAGE PASS does not work on Hardware.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=10051[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... That's odd, they told me that it would work on anything and when they listed off some examples they included a few systems (DSi and Wii if I recall correctly) and then when I almost didn't sign up they were still trying to sell me and said, anything in the store can get the 10% off. I don't have the book with me with all of the fine print, so I cannot verify, but this does sound like it would be the case.

If so, I apologize to anyone that I got your hopes up on.

I will delete my original post so as not to give anyone else the idea... Thanks for the heads up!

Crap, I just bought an 80gig from FYE about three weeks ago. It's still within the 30 day limit, so will FYE adjust my price if I bring in the receipt? Please say yes.

[quote name='BIG5']The SLIM will be ...slimmer. If that's not reason enough to hold off, I don't know what is. But seriously, I've been saying for a long time that I would buy a PS3 if it was $300, and now it is, but I still have to wait and see if these rumors are true. Oh well, it's not as if I have nothing to play right now, but getting a new console is always so exciting.[/QUOTE]

it is a great deal but amazon or another online store dont have that deal, that means you have to pay taxes, ;)

[quote name='ddrisgood137']Crap, I just bought an 80gig from FYE about three weeks ago. It's still within the 30 day limit, so will FYE adjust my price if I bring in the receipt? Please say yes.[/QUOTE]

just return it and buy it again for $100 cheaper whenever this sale goes nationwide

[quote name='cheeky']On a somewhat related note how would I be able to tell if the PS3 has BC without opening the box? I currently have a 60gig without BC but would be tempted to upgrade. Especially because racking up trade credit with FYE is so easy.[/QUOTE]

Sony never made a 60gb without BC. Here is the bottom line - Mem Card, CF Slot, & 4 USB = BC. The current 80gb only has 2 USB and no mem card slots and no BC.

[quote name='jubeininja69']you can buy a ps2 to play those classics if you don't like ps3 games.[/QUOTE]

PS2 is being discontinued - better get one now. Anyway, the new slim will have full BC. All PS3 will become fully BC through a download - that is if Sony's recently awarded patent is as functional as stated.

I don't think this is that good of a deal... cause when the slimline comes out, you know stores are going to clearance out all the bulkier PS3 stock. I'll wait. Great deals are gonna come, it's just a matter of patience.

[quote name='Master Ninja']actually Sony is putting out time bombs in the Firmware code to slowly kill off the 60GB launch PS3's because it is very expensive for them to fix and source parts especially the Emotion engine chip which is no longer made.[/QUOTE]

you mean a timebomb that kills the bluray drive which is the most common issue ps3 owners are receiving (most of it is occurring in the 40/80gig model).

oh yea, this is no way close to the 360's rrod (30% failure rate)

Because some of us don't wanna have 90 fuckin' consoles hooked up when we have limited space? Plus, I got rid of my PS2 when I got my Dual Shock 3 last year when Gamestop had the promo to get X amount for a PS2 and a couple of games.

I got both the games and the system REALLY cheap($10 console, $2-3 games), so I didn't even care when I traded them in.

As it stands now, I keep hoping that Sony will release a BC patch, but I'm not getting my hopes up. But if I wait long enough, I may be able to find a PStwo slim once they stop producing them at my closest Kmart, just like I did the combo PSone/LCD for $10 that was hidden behind the PS3's in the case.

[quote name='wwe101']just return it and buy it again for $100 cheaper whenever this sale goes nationwide[/QUOTE]

I can't return it since I already opened it. :(

If you bought the ps2 at Target or Walmart you have 90 days. Just say you are having issues with it on your T.V. They will accept it. If you bought it from Gamestop well forget about it. I never buy there or best buy since they have the worst return policy.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for post, not a bad price for 80gig ps3, i remember when i bought my 60gig around launch time... oh the memories.
151l1259.jpg

[quote name='ddrisgood137']I can't return it since I already opened it. :([/QUOTE]

where did you buy it from? if its in within 30 days they should still take it back even if opened

bread's done
Back