G1, iphone, or other?

R1V3R5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
So, my contract with Sprint is up next month. I've actually been quite happy with their service but I just don't see any cool phones that I want when I renew my contract. I like the iphone and the G1, so those are a possibility if I decide to switch carriers. The iphone scares me off because I'd be paying a minimum of $30 more a month. The G1 is about $15 more a month, and I really like the fact that it also has a keyboard. Overall, I'm really happy with Sprint's service and rate plan (although most people hate them). And Sprint has the best coverage in my particular area when compared to T-Mobile or AT&T. Any suggestions? Perhaps there is a phone I'm overlooking?

"minimum of $30 more a month" leads me to believe you're SERO, yes?

If so, don't switch...

When looking at the price of a new phone on a different carrier, multiply the difference in your monthly bill by the length of the contract and ask yourself if it's worth it. Personally, I love the iPhone but there's no way in hell I could justify an extra $50/mo for it. That's $1,200. No thanks.

Sprint will be getting an Android phone next year, it'll probably be better than the G1 (which is already a great phone).

If you need a new phone now you could always settle for something you don't really want, get it on eBay or something and sell it when the Android phone comes out. Phones have pretty good resale value.

I actually found a phone I liked at T-Mobile for $20 after service agreement. And the whole package is about the same I'm paying per month with Sprint. If I can get that phone for $20 with a one year agreement, I'd do it. Then just wait and pick up a G1 or Iphone when they are more reasonable. However, there is no way I'd settle for any phone and sign a 2 year contract.

Edit: Yes, I'm on SERO.

[quote name='guyver2077']arent all contracts nowadays 2 years?[/QUOTE]

I've seen a few 1 year contracts. However, the 2 year contracts are what gets you a good deal on a phone.

You could also get a new phone through Sprint by renewing your contract, sell the new phone on Ebay for a heft profit and keep using your current phone until Sprint gets the Android phone...

You could probably make $200 or so selling the phone, then apply that toward buying a phone off eBay later. It'd accomplish the same thing as waiting, but help your new contract end sooner.

[quote name='Koggit']You could also get a new phone through Sprint by renewing your contract, sell the new phone on Ebay for a heft profit and keep using your current phone until Sprint gets the Android phone...

You could probably make $200 or so selling the phone, then apply that toward buying a phone off eBay later. It'd accomplish the same thing as waiting, but help your new contract end sooner.[/QUOTE]

Well, my current phone is only 6 months old. However, I just wanted something with more bells and whistles. However, I should see how much my current phone sells for on ebay, like you mentioned.

[quote name='Malik112099']An unlocked iphone is your best friend.[/quote]

And won't help him keep his cheap SERO plan at all.

Personally, I have a SERO plan that I can't wait to cancel on Jan.1(admin fee increase), simply because Sprint phones are garbage.

im pretty sure you can use a g1 on other services besides tmobile. im not sure if you have to unlock it like an iphone tho. a few people i know use the g1 on at&ts service(they all had iphones, sold em and switched to a g1.well except for one guy, he has both phones still.) i love my g1 and ive only had it for like 2 weeks(im on tmobile tho) and pay about $55 a month not including taxes for unlimited everything.

It's a matter of CDMA vs... whatever thing SIM card phones are, I think it's called GMA or something.

Those are the two types of phones.

Everyone except Verizon and Sprint use the SIM card phones, Sprint and Verizon use CDMA phones... it doesnt matter whether you unlock the phone, you can't use CDMA on other carriers and you can't use SIM card phones on Sprint and Verizon.

Well, I don't want to pay the excessive cost for an unlocked phone. And like another poster mentioned, the only two phones I like are GSM and Sprint is CDMA. I am just wondering if I should stay with Sprint and if any of you guys could suggest a phone other than the iphone or G1. Because those are the phones I like the most but they are expensive and require me to switch carriers. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot at Sprint that I like, certainly no phones nice enough to convince me to sign an agreement with them for another 2 years. I guess I'll just browse the different deals and phones while I wait for my contract to expire. I have over a month to decide so I'm in no rush.

P.S. Besides GSM and CMDA, there is also Nextel and Boost which operate on IDEN.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']Blackberry.[/QUOTE]

I actually really like the Blackberry Storm. However, the monthly bill (with data plan) is too high.

What phone do you currently have?

Any newer smartphone on a different service is gonna require a 2 year contract and a monthly charge at least 2x your SERO rate. Wouldn't it just be better to get a lesser phone with Sprint if you're so worried about a high monthly charge?

Get a Touch Pro or Touch Diamond with a 2 year contract extension(if you can keep the SERO plan that is)

You'll pay ~$100 more than an iPhone or G1, but you'll have saved that much within 4 months if you can stay on the SERO plan

What about if you aren't interested in a data plan? That's the situation I am in now and I'm trying to figure out which (unlocked) smart phone to go with. mainly I need something for accessing Wi Fiwhile out drinking, so that I can have access to Gmail and maps. So I don't really need a data plan.

I use a prepaid Tmobile account, as I make very few calls a year. From what I understand I can pop my Tmobile sim into an unlocked Iphone?

The Android is also pretty tempting, as I do try to support open source as much as possible.

I'm pretty sure you can only use your TMob SIM into an unlocked original iPhone, as I don't think 3G ones have been unlocked yet. The G1 will work as well I believe.

And beware of the G1. It will always connect to the internet when it is on. No idea how that'd work on a prepaid account though.

I have the G1 thru work. I love it.

The only negative I've had with it, was that it sucks if you roaming. Especially if only ATT is available.

An unlocked G1 was just announced yesterday I believe.

[quote name='manthing']What phone do you currently have?

Any newer smartphone on a different service is gonna require a 2 year contract and a monthly charge at least 2x your SERO rate. Wouldn't it just be better to get a lesser phone with Sprint if you're so worried about a high monthly charge?

Get a Touch Pro or Touch Diamond with a 2 year contract extension(if you can keep the SERO plan that is)

You'll pay ~$100 more than an iPhone or G1, but you'll have saved that much within 4 months if you can stay on the SERO plan[/QUOTE]

I don't mind paying more a month if the phone has more/better features that are actually utilized, I just don't want to pay something absurd like $90 month though. Right now I pay slightly over $40 per month and I have a Razr V3M. If I switched to T-Mobile, a similar plan (with Student Advantage discount) would only cost me about $4 more a month, which is certainly not twice what I pay for SERO. If I bought a G1, it would probably cost me about $60 month (after SA discount). And I don't think that is so bad for all that is included with the service, but that upfront fee of $179 for the phone is crazy. I have no doubt that it is a great phone, but I will not spend that much.

With SERO don't you have unlimited text and unlimited data?

Also, is that $44 with T-Mobile before or after taxes?

I pay $37 after taxes ($30 before taxes, I think) with SERO for unlimited data and unlimited text... I looked into other carriers and the cheapest I could find a similar plan was around $75 before taxes. The monthly price difference is enormous.

But yeah, Blackberry requires an extra fee...

What about the Samsung Instinct?

[quote name='Koggit']With SERO don't you have unlimited text and unlimited data?

Also, is that $44 with T-Mobile before or after taxes?

I pay $37 after taxes ($30 before taxes, I think) with SERO for unlimited data and unlimited text... I looked into other carriers and the cheapest I could find a similar plan was around $75 before taxes. The monthly price difference is enormous.

But yeah, Blackberry requires an extra fee...

What about the Samsung Instinct?[/QUOTE]

Not really digging the Instinct. That's really Sprint's "cool" phone but my buddy bought one and I'm not that impressed. And that's $44 after taxes with the Student Advantage discount for T-Mobile. However, it does have a cap on the amount of data and messages I can use with that plan. However, I seldom use my data plan on Sprint right now, and that has unlimited data and text! Now, if I bought something like the G1, I'm sure I'd want a better data plan with T-Mobile, or unlimited like I have with Sprint.

Apparently, Google's Rich Miner to deliver keynote at Sprint's mobile developer's conference. This after Sprint dismissed the G1 and the Android platform. I'd like to see what happens. Hmmm...

LOL. Sort of related. Stolen from another deals site...

"Sprint SERO (Sprint Employee Referral Offer) plan users are reporting receiving recorded messages from a caller ID blocked phone number asking them to email their phone number and the name of the Sprint employee who referred them to an @sprint.com email address.

The message warns users of disconnection or interruption if they fail to do so within five (5) business days.

This does appear to be legitimate. It's unknown whether Sprint's cancellation threats are likely to be followed through with, and whether number portability applies to these accounts."

I know (not including CAGs) about 4 people with SERO. I wonder if any one of them will be called.

OP you really don't know what you want in a phone, do you? Nor do you understand the trememdous value the SERO plan gives you, or how much data you'll use on even a semi-functional smart phone.

First thing:

Of course you don't use a ton of texts/data on your current phone, it's a RAZR. Texts with a QWERTY keyboard are so easy. Plus even a terrible smartphone browser(l have Mobile IE on my Q) is better than the browser on the RAZR. You'll more than likely use texts/data more if you have even a crappy smartphone(like my Moto Q).

And please point to a carrier that will give 500 minutes, unlimited texts and data on a plan that's under $60. I'm sure there's plenty of people who would be interested.

One last thing: if you're gonna ask advice, you'd get more accurate responses if you said upfront that you have certain discounts.

I'd switch to T-Mobile and buy a sealed first generation iPhone on eBay, or just wait until the new Curve 8900 comes out.

[quote name='lmz00']I'd switch to T-Mobile and buy a sealed first generation iPhone on eBay, or just wait until the new Curve 8900 comes out.[/quote]

:rofl:

OP won't pay $180 for a G1, why do you think he'd pay $400+ for an iPhone?

with using an unlocked iphone on tmobile.. is it true that you wont have my faves? (one of the only advantages of switching to tmobile for me). i am basically waiting until the next gen iphone comes out. (hopefully with freaking mms)

I currently love my n95 but software support is nowhere as high as it is for g1 and iphone. Its one of those situations that the phone is simply tooo good but does not have a large domestic support presense.

And im also desperately trying to get a blackberry storm via work.

[quote name='guyver2077']with using an unlocked iphone on tmobile.. is it true that you wont have my faves? (one of the only advantages of switching to tmobile for me). i am basically waiting until the next gen iphone comes out. (hopefully with freaking mms)[/quote]
I don't have myFaves, but since your "faves" are set up over the internet, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to keep them.

[quote name='manthing']OP you really don't know what you want in a phone, do you? Nor do you understand the trememdous value the SERO plan gives you, or how much data you'll use on even a semi-functional smart phone.

First thing:

Of course you don't use a ton of texts/data on your current phone, it's a RAZR. Texts with a QWERTY keyboard are so easy. Plus even a terrible smartphone browser(l have Mobile IE on my Q) is better than the browser on the RAZR. You'll more than likely use texts/data more if you have even a crappy smartphone(like my Moto Q).

And please point to a carrier that will give 500 minutes, unlimited texts and data on a plan that's under $60. I'm sure there's plenty of people who would be interested.

One last thing: if you're gonna ask advice, you'd get more accurate responses if you said upfront that you have certain discounts.[/QUOTE]

To my knowledge, anyone can get the Student Advantage card. I don't think they actually check to see if you are in school. I only factored that in to T-Mobile's bill because I know they give a 12% discount. I'm sure Student Advantage gives discounts to other carriers as well, but I do not know the specifics.

And, you are right, unlimited data would be awesome if I were to use a smartphone and my current SERO plan is ideal for that. However, I don't have a smartphone and nothing from Sprint really looks appealing. However, I'm open to suggestions. Another CAG suggested the Samsung Instinct. And while I dismissed it at first, I spent some time researching it last night and it's not half bad. Maybe I'll explore Sprint's phones more before I make any crazy decisions.

And I highly suggest anyone with T-Mobile to check out that "Student Advantage" card. It saves 12% off your monthly bill and gives you discounts on hardware as well.

[quote name='manthing']:rofl:

OP won't pay $180 for a G1, why do you think he'd pay $400+ for an iPhone?[/QUOTE]

I actually like the G1. I actually like it more than the Iphone. However, I can't imagine giving up SERO and paying $179 for a phone.

OP: you're impossible.

You create a topic asking about smart phones that cost nearly $200 then say you don't want to spend that much on the phone, nor are you willing to switch to their higher priced plans.

Why create this topic then?

Switch to T-Mobile and get an unlocked iphone. Shop around and you can likely find one under $200. I have one now and it is amazing. The amount of free applications is mind boggling. With the 1st gen iphone, you pay $10 less than the data plan for the G1.

My contract with AT&T is over in January and I was thinking of getting an iPhone jailbrake it, possibly unlock it since it seems you will be able to do it pretty soon and then sell it since they go for outrageous prices on ebay. I am hoping to get enough money to either get a cheap phone and have the extra cash or get an Xperia X1 or some other phone. It sounds like you don't want to spend that much money you could sell it and then just keep the cash and get a cheap unlocked phone.

[quote name='R1V3R5']I actually really like the Blackberry Storm. However, the monthly bill (with data plan) is too high.[/QUOTE]

I think you can rule out the iPhone then since a data plan is required with that also.

[quote name='Koggit']"I want a more expensive phone on a more expensive carrier. Without it being more expensive."[/QUOTE]

Ohh... I see what you did there!

I'm not against paying a lot for a phone or a higher bill, I just don't want both. I'm also open to other phones if people here had any suggestions. You said to check out the Samsung Instinct, and I am looking it over. I assumed that someone else might try to persuade to something other than a smart phone, like the Nokia 5610. And I never asked for an unlimited data plan at a reasonable rate, it was Manthing who said I would not find a better deal for unlimited data than my current plan. Right now I use about 1Mb a month so that plan is going to waste with my current phone. Hell, maybe I don't even need a data plan!

And to all the people getting pissy, feel free to not post on this topic. I never once forced anyone to come in here and find me a deal. I'm not actually looking for a deal, I'm asking about phones that other CAGs like and general information about their service and/or carrier. I appreciate the people who actually gave useful input. Even Manthing, who was very helpful until he began to act like a child.

Neither. The Samsung behold baby! That thing is sexay!

Btw new data plans for T-Mobile start at $25 for 200 msgs and unlimited web/data. They use to be $19.99 but now you get a few txt msgs to boot.

bread's done
Back