G4 Cancels AOTS and X-Play

[quote name='Tony Stark']Both shows blew chunks compared to Screen Savers, Call for Help, and Extended Play (X-Play's daddy) when it was TechTV...

...for those who remember TechTV, Revision3.com is like an online version of it[/QUOTE]
This seems pretty sweet; thanks for sharing. :) I loved TechTV, but I stopped watching after G4 came into the picture and sullied it with a 12-year-old's sense of humor.

[quote name='PimpLimp']UPDATE: G4 to be rebranded as Esquire Channel[/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks for the laugh. Then I read the link and laughed a ton more:
...Some of the new programming -- which will focus on such genres as cooking, travel and fashion...

But hey, it can't be worse than 24 hours of Cops, Campus PD, and Cheaters a day, right? Well actually who cares, only watched it for Ninja Warrior (not American) anyway.

Don't we have Travel Channel/Cooking Channel/FoodTV/etc. for those already? Then again.. G4 isn't exactly tech/gamer stuff anyways... so no real loss.

When Extended Play and The Screen Savers were replaced with the snarky X-Play and AOTS, I completely tuned out of anything G4 or tech tv related. The old Tech tv network shows seemed to be interested in covering technology and gaming news for everyone, rather than pandering to young heterosexual men.

Here's an entire Extended Play episode from 2001.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry-cLUr91QY

And a full episode of 1999 The Screen Savers during the ZDtv days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3_ZUm72XDI&NR=1&feature=endscreen

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shrike4242']When the ratings for the channel drop with those two cancellations, they'll see that it wasn't the right choice for them. They probably won't care, though it was a mistake in the eyes of a number of people.[/QUOTE]

How can their ratings get any lower? They already got dropped by DirecTV because no one watched it.

I have to say, though, way back when I was highly amused by Tommy Tallerico's review show "Judgment Day" and that list show.

[quote name='leveskikesko']When Extended Play and The Screen Savers were replaced with the snarky X-Play and AOTS, I completely tuned out of anything G4 or tech tv related. The old Tech tv network shows seemed to be interested in covering technology and gaming news for everyone, rather than pandering to young heterosexual men.

Here's an entire Extended Play episode from 2001.

And a full episode of 1999 The Screen Savers during the ZDtv days.
[/QUOTE]
I miss Tech TV. :( And Kate Botello. :(

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']How can their ratings get any lower? They already got dropped by DirecTV because no one watched it.[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't surprise me if Time Warner Cable drops them eventually too. Since there was talk this week of them dropping low rated cable channels.

Just the way the story in the link describes it, this "revised" network will be dead on arrival. It sounds exactly like what they're trying with Bravo, which is another channel owned by Comcast now.

Forget G4TV. It was hardly a blip on your real cable bill. I wish they would let you opt out of getting all the sports channels. ESPN is expensive relative to other channels. I'd probably subscribe to cable again if I could opt out of all sports.

bread's done
Back