Galaga (XBLA)

Darkside Hazuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Getting the party started a little early...

Here's the achievement list (stolen from here):
  • (25) Stingray - Find the Stingray during battle.
  • (15) Scorpion - Find the Scorpion during battle.
  • (5) Dual Fighter - Form the double ship, if you can discover the clandestine method.
  • (5) Enemy Fighter - Shoot down a red captured Fighter.
  • (15) Perfect Bonus - Shoot down all enemies in a Challenging Stage.
  • (10) Dragonfly - Find the Dragonfly during battle.
  • (20) Mosquito - Find the Mosquito during battle.
  • (30) Galboss - Find the Galboss during battle.
  • (30) Blue Spaceship - Find the Blue Spaceship during battle.
  • (5) Stage 10 - Play up to Stage 10.
  • (10) Stage 20 - Get to Stage 20.
  • (30) Stage 30 - Take a guess.
Easy enough, with possible exception of Stage 30. If the controls hold up to the original (joystick is the only way to play) I'll have all these by tomorrow afternoon.

I'll try to sneak in a (truncated) game before work in the morning, so don't snicker at the low score.

Is there any adaptors to use a PS2 controller to 360 controller input? I have an excellent arcade joystick for the PS2 I'd love to use for games like Galaga.

i have a usb to ps2 adaptor but im not sure if it would work on 360 about 5$ on ebay

damn when can we get a good xbla game ... raiden anyone ... why would you want a game thats as old as me ......

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Man... I would LOVE to see Raiden .... or any great 2-d shooter. Love high score chasing.[/QUOTE]

I'm still wondering why Treasure has yet to dump it's entire legacy on XLA

Think about it; Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, Gunstar Heroes (with ONLINE CO-OP~!), Guardian Heroes (ditto).

I'd have that lot on the first game. I used to score so high on that machine I had to do a two-player game to see my score properly.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']I'm still wondering why Treasure has yet to dump it's entire legacy on XLA

Think about it; Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, Gunstar Heroes (with ONLINE CO-OP~!), Guardian Heroes (ditto).[/QUOTE]

All except Gunstar probably go over the space restriction. Think about it, every single game you mention other than Gunstar is on cd.

Can anyone who has it answer my multiplayer question? Because when the xbox arcade wednesday news report came out, it said something like, "Galaga returns with a whole new multiplayer mode!" or something.

Ugh. This is highly dissapointing.

How do you mess up Galaga? Ensure that there is a slight delay between your button press and the on-screen action. Both movement AND firing.

That's wicked lame, and I'm not from Maine or Boston.

Achievement whores, this game is for you. I scored 7 of the 12 on my first attempt.

Chances are I'm not going to touch this again once I reach that last achievement.

No multiplayer mode. Single Player only.

So the single player is laggy? If so that is terrible. I'll probably still end up getting it though because I like these classic games.

[quote name='shipwreck']I'll probably buy this tonight... because I'm Microsoft's bitch.[/QUOTE]

Me too :(

They updated the graphics too, like Frogger?

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']
How do you mess up Galaga? Ensure that there is a slight delay between your button press and the on-screen action. Both movement AND firing. .[/QUOTE]

Crap! Can't remember who but someone who was at that XBLA summer launch party said the exact same thing in some podcast. Was hoping that person was just drunk because I used to love Galaga and a delay would suck. Oh well I'll give the demo a run myself tonight.

With no updates at all, this is the first $5 XBLA game I would consider to be a rip-off. It just doesn't seem like they put any effort into this. I think I will buy Frogger, since they actually worked to make it better and add new modes, but I'll skip Galaga even though I used to love it.

[quote name='sj41']With no updates at all, this is the first $5 XBLA game I would consider to be a rip-off. It just doesn't seem like they put any effort into this. I think I will buy Frogger, since they actually worked to make it better and add new modes, but I'll skip Galaga even though I used to love it.[/QUOTE]

I'd say Billards beat it to the punch (1,200 points?!)

[quote name='-Never4ever-']I'd say Billards beat it to the punch (1,200 points?!)[/quote]That's why I said it was the first $5 XBLA game that was rip-off. And Billiards is a really fun game, although it was definitely $5 more than it should have been, and the computer does sometimes pull off bullshit moves (as well as miss really easy shots). I got it as part of the 12 month XBL kit, and I have been extremely happy with it.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']I'd say Billards beat it to the punch (1,200 points?!)[/quote]

Have you given Bankshot Billiards a shot though? Seriously? Longer than a quick 5 minutes. It's one of the better games once you get into it. Granted I got it for free with the 12 month subscription, but it's still a pretty solid title. Buying it on it's own right is a little steep at 1200 points, however the game has a good amount of content compared to some other titles.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']I'd say Billards beat it to the punch (1,200 points?!)[/QUOTE]

I think it was mentioned before that Billards is so high to make it look like an awesome deal in the 12 month kit.

If they dropped it to 800 I'd get it.

How the F do they screw this up?! Make me scared for even the most basic games coming out. Can't get too excited for anything until you can play it, even if it is fn Galaga.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Hope its not a trend. Frogger Lags...Galaga Lags...SFII :shock:...lets hope not.[/QUOTE]

Frogger didn't lag for me at all, either that or I didn't notice it, and I put a ton of time into Frogger.

Yep. This game sucks my ass. Good thing I d/led the trial. Lag is bad, but shooter fans understand just how much more important (in a bad way) lag can be. It can make a great game, well, suck my fucking ass.

[quote name='Roufuss']Frogger didn't lag for me at all, either that or I didn't notice it, and I put a ton of time into Frogger.[/QUOTE]

Agreed with Roufuss. I've had what SEEMS like lag, thinking back on it. However I would not be surprised if, most likely than not, it's the controller.

It doesn't seem that laggy to me. I always remembered a slight pause in the game between when you pressed the button and when it shot. That's why I'd be trying to shoot the last enemy for 4-5 times.

My only complaint with the game is that friend notices pop up right on top of your ship. Who was the genius who decided that it should be there when 2/3rds of the screen is just border?

[quote name='shipwreck']My only complaint with the game is that friend notices pop up right on top of your ship. [/QUOTE]

Seconded. Any amount of playtesting should have caught that. I assume it can be programmed in to make them appear on the left or right like in other games.

[quote name='terribledeli']Seconded. Any amount of playtesting should have caught that. I assume it can be programmed in to make them appear on the left or right like in other games.[/QUOTE]

Yup, other games do that where the pop-up would interupt game play. Thats just lazy they didnt fix this with Galaga.

[quote name='seanr1221']Yup, other games do that where the pop-up would interupt game play. Thats just lazy they didnt fix this with Galaga.[/QUOTE]

I have faith that they'll get enough complaints and fix this rather quickly. It's not a hard fix at all, just one line of code needs to be changed.

[quote name='shipwreck']It doesn't seem that laggy to me. I always remembered a slight pause in the game between when you pressed the button and when it shot.[/quote]

I have to disagree with you on this one. The XBLA version has a substantially greater response time than the original arcade. Granted, we're talking microseconds here, but it's a big difference.

This is crazy. I haven't felt this betrayed since my ex-wife decided she'd rather be sleeping with the Math department's TA. Someone should apologize for this. :bomb:

(Going over the edge for comic effect. But how can you not make an arcade perfect adaptation of your OWN TWENTY-FIVE YEAR OLD GAME?)

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']I have to disagree with you on this one. The XBLA version has a substantially greater response time than the original arcade. Granted, we're talking microseconds here, but it's a big difference.

This is crazy. I haven't felt this betrayed since my ex-wife decided she'd rather be sleeping with the Math department's TA. Someone should apologize for this. :bomb:

(Going over the edge for comic effect. But how can you not make an arcade perfect adaptation of your OWN TWENTY-FIVE YEAR OLD GAME?)[/QUOTE]

There were two versions of this game in the arcade though right? The original (which I believe this one is) and a version that had rapid fire. I'm kind of surprised they didn't add the rapid fire as an option as I think it is more friendly for new players. Personally, I'm having no problems with the response time (I suck just as badly at this game as I remember I did).

[quote name='shipwreck']Personally, I'm having no problems with the response time (I suck just as badly at this game as I remember I did).[/quote]
I'm in the same boat (or "ship") as you, downloaded the demo and had no problems whatsoever with it. I might even buy it.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I'm in the same boat (or "ship") as you, downloaded the demo and had no problems whatsoever with it. I might even buy it.[/quote]

Same here. I don't get all the issues about the "lag". I see none on my end. I distinctly remember it always being like this.

has anyone tried it with the doa arcade stick...i had read that in frogger it played great with the stick...I just ordered one today...

bread's done
Back