Gamasutra: "Why Action Games Suck"

CAGiversary!
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20070501/adams_01.shtml

This article argues that action games ought to be made more accessible to the disabled.

Making games accessible to the disabled is a laudable goal, but this Adams character doesn't offer much insight into how to achieve it. Consider his entry in the accessible games competition. It isn't enough to address the mechanics of pitting the able-bodied against the disabled; the game still must be appealling to the former. There's no point in developing a multiplayer game for both able-bodied and disabled players if no able-bodied gamers will want to play it. Imagine the reception for a game whose tagline is, "there's no such thing as 'too slow.'"

And any time that some form of accessibility aid is introduced in a multiplayer game, a critical question must be answered: How do you prevent able-bodied players from using those aids to gain an unfair advantage? Online gamers tend to raise a hue and cry whenever they perceive that something has unbalanced the playing field. One solution would be to notify a player when his opponent is using aids. But consider the player's decision-making process at that point. He might suspect that his opponent is an able-bodied player abusing accessibility aids. Or he might decide that competing with a disabled player wouldn't result in an even/fun/challenging match. We ought not to expect many players to accept challenges from the disabled out of charity, since that is not a defining characteristic of online gamers.

As to the general issue of making action games more accessible, there's the question of whether there's even a market for accessible action games. The author of this article presupposes that there is, but there's no certainty that sales to the disabled would offset the cost of accessibility. One of the ideas offered is to create two paths through levels. Well, that doubles the work of the level design team, doesn't it? And there's a fair argument that developers shouldn't even try to make action games accessible. There are many genres of games, some of which by their nature offer a better fit to the disabled, e.g., because they move at a slower pace. Trying to shoehorn accessibility into a genre whose very name, "action," implies fast, kinetic gameplay may not be sensible.

I'm blocked from reading the article on the site.

One thing I'm wondering, what sort of disabilities are we talking about. Are we talking about someone who's mentally retarded (or slow). Are we talking about someone with one arm? Why are these disabled people "slower" than the average person?

I've always been told that disabled people are just as good and equal as everyone else. If this is the case, why can't they play vdeo games at full speed? Let's be honest, I suck at Halo, I'm not as good as the other players and it zaps some fun from it for me. So, why can't I get the handicapped, I'm handicapped from the fact that I suck at the game?

I think you run into Pandora's Box here. It's a great idea, but I'm not sure it's really doable.

Gamasutra: "We make up crap articles that might piss people off so we can get people to come to our site."

The one reasoning I 100% agree with is leaving action elements out of RPGs, or make them optional. I've actually thought about what if I ever lost an arm?

I'd hate to be playing an RPG, and suddenly have to come to a stop because of a action minigame. Though, the reasonable thing would be to have a friend play through the action parts for you.

Problem #1 I noticed by just glancing at the page and skimming the subtitle for the Ninja Gaiden Screenshot:

Ninja Gaiden was fucking easy. I beat it in a week. It was fun, exhilirating, I restarted a couple times on some bosses, but it was a far cry from being a difficult game. I personally beat it on Normal before BLACK introduced the "Ninja Dog" difficulty.

If we want to make games accessible to handicapped people, make them their own games, don't make it so games are no longer accessible to normal people.

This is like arguing Bicycles suck because there are people out there that don't have two legs to pedal with.

Gamasutra sucks.

Problem #2

He's talking about "why action games suck" and then he goes into describing how he PERSONALLY doesn't like them because he's not good at them, and how he hates RPGs that add action elements... so he's gone like five paragraphs without even mentioning anything about action games, just something about RPGs and something about his personal prefferences.

Problem #3

"Easy mode is supposed to be easy, damnitt"

It IS easy. You just SUCK.

Problem #4

If the only way you can have fun with a game is if it's so easy it takes no effort, then what a complete waste of time! Press the red button. I pressed the red button, whoohoo! Look at the credits roll! How exciting!

No. Games should take effort to beat. You should struggle against the bosses. That's what action gaming is all about, and if you can't respect it that's why YOU suck.

Problem #5

"It’s not just me that I’m concerned about here. At least 5% of the population has some kind of mobility impairment, ranging from mild arthritis to full-bore quadriplegia. Adding a difficult action element to a genre that doesn’t really need to have one shuts these people out, and takes away a pleasure that they used to enjoy. Why would you do that?"

Alright, now the article is starting to piss me off.

This fucking asshole has no idea what he's talking about. I personally have a serious mobility impairment. A rare disorder. But guess fucking what -- I still play action games.

And the areas in which my handicap does affect me, I work hard to overcome it. Sure, I might have to work harder to do the same things that others can do easily, but why in the hell would I want them to make it easy for me? Why the fuck would I want to be catered to hand and foot? Why would I want them to rub in my physical impairment? For god sakes, I've met many people blessed with perfect physical health that don't do shit. I almost consider my impairment a blessing, in that it forces me to actually fucking work.

Problem #6

Now he's talking about quadriplegics. Why in the hell would I want my games to be designed with quadriplegics in mind? This is stupid. Go ahead and design games for them! It's a great idea! But the games I want to play I want designed with my abilites in mind. I'm a "hard-core" gamer with two thumbs and trigger fingers.

"None of this was hard to design – it was simply a question of taking the trouble to think about it in the first place."

What???? WHATT???? YOu talked about slowing down every element of the game to a CRAWL. That screen you showed has no action whatsoever.

How about designing a bullet-hell shooter for quadriplegics and then telling me it isn't hard.

Problem #7

"There’s no excuse for it. I’m not saying every game has to be accessible to a three-year-old. But at the moment, even the minimum physical requirements are set much too high, and far too many games offer no support for the disabled player. It does a disservice to our audience, our games, and our industry."

Far too many games??? What percentage of the population is quadriplegic? How about the percentage that isn't be equal to the percentage of games not designed for them.

Problem #2

He's talking about "why action games suck" and then he goes into describing how he PERSONALLY doesn't like them because he's not good at them, and how he hates RPGs that add action elements... so he's gone like five paragraphs without even mentioning anything about action games, just something about RPGs and something about his personal prefferences.

Problem #3

"Easy mode is supposed to be easy, damnitt"

It IS easy. You just SUCK.

Problem #4

If the only way you can have fun with a game is if it's so easy it takes no effort, then what a complete waste of time! Press the red button. I pressed the red button, whoohoo! Look at the credits roll! How exciting!

No. Games should take effort to beat. You should struggle against the bosses. That's what action gaming is all about, and if you can't respect it that's why YOU suck.

Problem #5

"It’s not just me that I’m concerned about here. At least 5% of the population has some kind of mobility impairment, ranging from mild arthritis to full-bore quadriplegia. Adding a difficult action element to a genre that doesn’t really need to have one shuts these people out, and takes away a pleasure that they used to enjoy. Why would you do that?"

Alright, now the article is starting to piss me off.

This fucking asshole has no idea what he's talking about. I personally have a serious mobility impairment. A rare disorder. But guess fucking what -- I still play action games.

And the areas in which my handicap does affect me, I work hard to overcome it. Sure, I might have to work harder to do the same things that others can do easily, but why in the hell would I want them to make it easy for me? Why the fuck would I want to be catered to hand and foot? Why would I want them to rub in my physical impairment? For god sakes, I've met many people blessed with perfect physical health that don't do shit. I almost consider my impairment a blessing, in that it forces me to actually fucking work.

Problem #6

Now he's talking about quadriplegics. Why in the hell would I want my games to be designed with quadriplegics in mind? This is stupid. Go ahead and design games for them! It's a great idea! But the games I want to play I want designed with my abilites in mind. I'm a "hard-core" gamer with two thumbs and trigger fingers.

"None of this was hard to design – it was simply a question of taking the trouble to think about it in the first place."

What???? WHATT???? YOu talked about slowing down every element of the game to a CRAWL. That screen you showed has no action whatsoever.

How about designing a bullet-hell shooter for quadriplegics and then telling me it isn't hard.

Problem #7

"There’s no excuse for it. I’m not saying every game has to be accessible to a three-year-old. But at the moment, even the minimum physical requirements are set much too high, and far too many games offer no support for the disabled player. It does a disservice to our audience, our games, and our industry."

Far too many games??? What percentage of the population is quadriplegic? How about the percentage that isn't be equal to the percentage of games not designed for them.

I sent him a long letter. He's very turned around on a lot of these things and the argument is just not well-formed at all.

Handi-accessible games should be built from the ground up for them. They shouldn't have controls tacked on to a game not meant to controlled in an exotic way.

and he missed the point of Ninja Gaiden and fighting games altogether. They're hard so that people take time to learn them. If they weren't, they wouldn't be any good.

[quote name='Kuros']Gamasutra: "We make up crap articles that might piss people off so we can get people to come to our site."[/quote]

I disagree. People in the industry find this site very useful. I'm assuming you dont work in the industry. It's not meant for the average joe to go read. Same thing with game developer magazine. People reading articles like this one desinging games, would be taking all this stuff into consideration. Making games more accessable means making more money after all. This is why Wii sports is so popular right now. It's very accessable. It alone is possibly the driving force behind all the wii sales.

I also think the guy has some good points. 2 examples of this (that I personally experienced) were Ninja Gaiden and the original Devil May Cry. With Devil May Cry, I had to turn down from hard to easy, so I could get the pain in my should to go away from the relentless hammering of buttons. Ninja Gaiden on the xbox I never finshed for a very similar reason, except I was unable to get past one point in the game. There was no easy way through like on DMC.

I finished playing though Devil May Cry on easy only because I wanted to check out the art and animation. I knew it was a joke playing on easy, it acutally was still enjoyable.

[quote name='Qslugs']I disagree. People in the industry find this site very useful. I'm assuming you dont work in the industry. It's not meant for the average joe to go read. Same thing with game developer magazine. People reading articles like this one desinging games, would be taking all this stuff into consideration. Making games more accessable means making more money after all. This is why Wii sports is so popular right now. It's very accessable. It alone is possibly the driving force behind all the wii sales.

I also think the guy has some good points. 2 examples of this (that I personally experienced) were Ninja Gaiden and the original Devil May Cry. With Devil May Cry, I had to turn down from hard to easy, so I could get the pain in my should to go away from the relentless hammering of buttons. Ninja Gaiden on the xbox I never finshed for a very similar reason, except I was unable to get past one point in the game. There was no easy way through like on DMC.

I finished playing though Devil May Cry on easy only because I wanted to check out the art and animation. I knew it was a joke playing on easy, it acutally was still enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing. You just didn't take the time to learn Ninja Gaiden or DMC. Anyone who is willing to put the time into a difficult game is rewarded with the thrill of the game. When you know the combat system and enemy AI, then you know what to expect and can react to it--then the fun is being able to strategize and approach the AI in different ways. If you want to mash buttons mindlessly, go elsewhere.

I don't bitch that I can't play for Team USA in the world cup because soccer at the professional level is "too hard." I know I never put the time into soccer that allows me to compete at that level, so complaining would look pretty idiotic.

and those games sold well, so that's a moot point. The writer used the premise of games needing to be accessible to disabled people to bash the difficulty of action games. it wasn't a constructive article all. he even insinuated that the only fun to get out of fighting games is the joy of beating people up, which pretty much gave away his holier-than-thou attitude. Why not suggest the development of games tailored to disabled people? That would've been a good article.

There are good articles on gamasutra, but this isn't one of them.

[quote name='Qslugs']I disagree. People in the industry find this site very useful. I'm assuming you dont work in the industry. It's not meant for the average joe to go read. Same thing with game developer magazine. People reading articles like this one desinging games, would be taking all this stuff into consideration. Making games more accessable means making more money after all. This is why Wii sports is so popular right now. It's very accessable. It alone is possibly the driving force behind all the wii sales.

I finished playing though Devil May Cry on easy only because I wanted to check out the art and animation. I knew it was a joke playing on easy, it acutally was still enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

I don't see much in this guy's industry experience that qualifies him to give an insider perspective on game design. The only games of significance that he worked on were Madden games, and it appears that his role in those games was limited to audio and video production. It seems to me that he's an armchair game designer posing as an expert in order to get consulting work; it's telling that only two of the companies on his client list are notable players in the industry.

Before someone responds, "well, let's see your industry credentials," let me point out that I'm not the one dropping incendiary editorial bombs.

What seems even crazier about this article is that I'm sure most people would agree, in general, that games have gotten much easier in the last generation. To have 2 or 3 really tough games in a sea of hundred of easy ones hardly seems like a reason to complain.

Some people do not have time to waste learning a game, however then there are other types of games for them, if you can't bother to learn a game, then simply pick up a different type of game, or one from a different genre if you don't like the genre you originally tried. If there are too many buttons on a controller and you find that confusing, or just don't want to spend 2 hours memorizing button controls, try something with less buttons, like the DS or a gameboy of some sort, or a classic NES. There's enough games out there where everyone should be able to find something that they like, and if you can't find something that you like, then well, maybe you shouldn't be playing video games.

The truth is games have to have at least SOME difficulty, selectable difficulties are good because it lets the player choose how they want to play, and helps gear the game toward different audiences. A game isn't a game if it isn't challenging, some people forget this, a game is supposed to be challenging, it wouldn't be a game if it wasn't, thats why a game is called a game.

Kids forget this a lot, when they throw down that brand new 50$ video game you just bought them because it is "too hard" (after 2-3 min of game play) or because they played for 3 minutes and " I don't like this game, mommy go and buy me a brand new 50$ game". Are we raising our kids so that they think everything has to be handed to them on a silver platter (meaning having the game already played for the kid? Are schools removing so much competition such as sports and dumbing things down so much so that kids don't even have an ounce of patience to sit down with a video game they wanted for weeks and play it? Are schools removing everything that a kid can fail at so much so that when a 10 year old kid "fails" for the first time at a video game its so traumatic to them that they cannot even bear to pick it up again? This is an issue I see with a lot of kids nowadays, they can't even stand to fail at a board game, a video game, or basically anything, even if its something really insignificant, and as soon as they fail, they whine and cry, and I even see this with older kids. I am not sure where the blame falls with this one, but its very very disturbing to watch. An older child should be able to "take" a slight failure (such as losing a life in a video game), pick right up, and move along without any crying or whining episodes. I can see a 4-5 year old crying and whining about it, that is normal, but I keep seeing this behavior even in older kids, especially when it comes to video games, and its very disturbing.

Its like they expect a video game to cater to them and to guide them through it all the way till the end without losing a life, dying or even any sort of challenge along the way. Imagine super mario if the only object was to get to the end of the game, and all you had to do to get to the end of the game was hold down the right button on a control pad, or maybe, jump over harmless objects, thats all the game would be. There would be no challenge, no game there whatsoever, a game is meant to have a challenge to it, thats what makes it a game. A game wouldn't be a very good game if it had no challenge to it.

Note: I am not referring to disabled children or adults in this post at all.

bread's done
Back