Game Boy Player

FlyingAce39

CAGiversary!
So I found a Game Boy Player (for :gc:) WITH the start-up disc and I could buy it for $40. I was just wondering if that was a really good price or if it was too high. Need some CAG advice from someone who has more experience with one of these than myself.

Hm, maybe Ill buy it. Its one of the few reasons to even own a Game Cube in my opinion. So you should buy it before I decide to grab it myself :)

[quote name='musha666']Hm, maybe Ill buy it. Its one of the few reasons to even own a Game Cube in my opinion. So you should buy it before I decide to grab it myself :)[/QUOTE]

After much deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that my finances will not add up, as badly as I want it. :cry:

I'll probably regret this later... lol

I paid $10 for mine, so anything over that I just can't justify since they were that price for a very, very long time at GS. Looks like they've definitely gone up quite a bit though, so just up to you if you are going to actually put it to good use, and already have the games you want to play in it. Otherwise it will probably just end up as a novelty item that you paid $40 for, which would be kind of a waste.

My local game store sells them for $20 and they require the start up disc to take it in for trade, but it may not have the original case for the disc.

[quote name='clonesniper666']My local game store sells them for $20 and they require the start up disc to take it in for trade, but it may not have the original case for the disc.[/QUOTE]

That midget case was annoying anyways. I just made a custom case for it and store it in that so it actually matches my other GCN games, lol. :bouncy:

[quote name='clonesniper666']My local game store sells them for $20 and they require the start up disc to take it in for trade, but it may not have the original case for the disc.[/QUOTE]

What is your local game store called? All I have around me are Best Buys and Gamestops.

It is a store located mostly in southwest Virginia, called G2K Games. If you want I can pick one up for you once they get another one in.

I will only charge $18 + 4.5% tax + shipping. Should be no more than $25 probably.

[quote name='clonesniper666']It is a store located mostly in southwest Virginia, called G2K Games. If you want I can pick one up for you once they get another one in.

I will only charge $18 + 4.5% tax + shipping. Should be no more than $25 probably.[/QUOTE]

I might actually take you up on that. For sure. How often do they bring them in?

I never liked using the GB Player, mainly because I hated using the GC controller to play GB/C/A games (though the controller is fine otherwise).

I'm waiting to see how the Retron 5 pans out. It's features sound awesome.

[quote name='Vinny']I never liked using the GB Player, mainly because I hated using the GC controller to play GB/C/A games (though the controller is fine otherwise).

I'm waiting to see how the Retron 5 pans out. It's features sound awesome.[/QUOTE]

this is me also. Sold my player, and almost certainly picking up a Retron 5 if it's not ridiculously overpriced. No matter how much someone might dislike emulator systems, 9 systems in one is hard to pass up;)

[quote name='FlyingAce39']I might actually take you up on that. For sure. How often do they bring them in?[/QUOTE]

They tend to get 1 in at least every month and if they dont have one they can have it transferred from one of the other stores.

[quote name='Vinny']I never liked using the GB Player, mainly because I hated using the GC controller to play GB/C/A games (though the controller is fine otherwise).

I'm waiting to see how the Retron 5 pans out. It's features sound awesome.[/QUOTE]

I can see what you're talking about, but you can use the Game Boy Advance as a controller on the GB Player. Besides, a GB player would take up a whole lot less room than a Retron 5.

[quote name='clonesniper666']They tend to get 1 in at least every month and if they dont have one they can have it transferred from one of the other stores.[/QUOTE]

We'll definitely be keeping in contact. Let me know when one comes in store.

My local shop wanted $30 for one I bought a while back. I was hesitant because I thought I might come across one at the flea market or whatever for cheaper, but it was perfect condition so I gave in and grabbed it.

[quote name='Squarehard']That midget case was annoying anyways. I just made a custom case for it and store it in that so it actually matches my other GCN games, lol. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that the same style of case Japanese GCN games came in? I thought they were cute, personally.

I was lucky enough to get it at a store called Mckay's for around $15. I like it to now play gb, gbc, and gba games on my gamecube

[quote name='FlyingAce39']I can see what you're talking about, but you can use the Game Boy Advance as a controller on the GB Player. Besides, a GB player would take up a whole lot less room than a Retron 5.

[/QUOTE]

My setup at the time wasn't wire friendly thanks to the Wavebird. And a GB Player might take up less room, but that's assuming you keep your GC hooked up (which seems pointless if you have a Wii hooked up).

The Retron 5 just seems like a better option if it pans out: better image quality, HDMI, save anywhere, can use SNES or Genesis controllers, and the system can play NES/SNES/Gen/Fami games. But again, that's assuming the Retron 5 delivers.

[quote name='Jaimelyn60']Wasn't that the same style of case Japanese GCN games came in? I thought they were cute, personally.[/QUOTE]

Plus that size makes more sense for the small Gamecube discs.

bread's done
Back