Game Capture: $54.99 (w/$10 Promo Credit) Lightning Deal ends @ 11:59 pm CST-09.24.11

fishwaterjohn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QMUIO6?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Just saw this and thought I would pass it along. Not a bad deal...

Also comes with a $10.00 Video Games Promo. Credit (See below):

"Get a $10 Amazon.com Video Games Credit
Order Game Capture and receive a $10 promotional credit toward the purchase of video games shipped and sold by Amazon.com (certain exclusions apply, including downloads). The promotional credit will be added directly to your Amazon.com account within two days after your order ships. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Limit one per household. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time."

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with this item is that it doesn't capture video at HD resolution. It can only do it at 480P. The price will continue to drop on this item.

I doubt it will drop below this. It doesn't have any competition in the low end market and the hardware component probably costs roxio some solid cash just to produce. The Hauppauge is better (and captures hd) but that is always hella expensive.

Dazzles go for about the same on Ebay and they're pretty decent if anyone is interested. I've heard that this isn't too great of an item, but if anyone buys it I would love to hear your opinion as well. :)

This doesn't look that bad at all for the price (if you don't mind the $10 in credit). You can record in 480p and still play in HD.

The deal's dead (from what I can see), but I'm gonna post this here for anyone curious about the device.

I bought this 3 weeks ago for $65 shipped off Roxio's website. For those curious about it, unless you're dying to stream and you can't save up money, avoid it. It captures/streams at a max of 360p and the audio is fucked. It is loud and distorted, unbearable to listen to, and no setting on the device or in your computers recording devices settings or volume sliders can change it. To capture decent audio directly through the device you'll need to turn ALL in-game audio down to the lowest setting.

Additionally this is component only, you can not capture and play your systems through composite or HDMI with this device. Also, it greatly lowers your TV's video quality. It's still "HD", but only on 1080i. 720p is so blurred it's like you're about to pass out drunk, and 1080p is not supported at all. So while using the device you have to play in 1080i which still gives a slight blur, but it's only really noticeable in text and menus and other such light pixel objects (I'd imagine a retro video game would looks like ass).

Also, beyond the added blur and restricted use to 1080i, the device also produces several bars of faded color that scrolls up your screen, think of the codec effect in Metal Gear Solid 1, it's like that. This is really only noticeable if the game is showing dark visuals. Bulletstorm you wouldn't really notice them, but Dead Space they'd probably make unplayable. I've been playing Deus Ex: HR and they're fairly noticeable during that. This doesn't come through in your capture/stream, just on your own TV.

Also, Roxio support is pretty much non-existent. They refuse to acknowledge the problems with their devices despite overwhelming negative feedback and if you request assistance from them they either never respond or give you a generic "fix" that often or not... doesn't. Example, they give a generic fix for the audio issue cause the method worked for ONE of their tech staff everytime you ask for help about it... despite that method has been proven not to work for anyone else.

The only real benefits of this device is it's cheap, allows you to capture/stream decent SD video, and actually comes with a pair of component cables (to connect the device to your TV, you have to use your own component cable to connect the device to your console).

Here's a stream I did with it to show video quality. The sound is actually produced via my mic picking up my TV.

http://www.justin.tv/buuhan_1/b/295786357

[quote name='Kaiser499']Sounds like crap, thanks for the review.[/QUOTE]

It is... but dammit, I wanna stream, and I sure as hell can't afford to pay $200 for the HD PVR.

I'm curious, you record your gaming sessions... Then what? What do you do with the video, do you watch it at a later date? If so why not just replay the game?

[quote name='meta460085']I'm curious, you record your gaming sessions... Then what? What do you do with the video, do you watch it at a later date? If so why not just replay the game?[/QUOTE]

1) People like doing video walkthroughs
2) People like doing strategies
3) People like showing off cheats
4) People like showing off easter eggs
5) People like to record MP footage so they can cut and mix a moooooontage

[quote name='StarryWisdom']1) People like doing video walkthroughs
2) People like doing strategies
3) People like showing off cheats
4) People like showing off easter eggs
5) People like to record MP footage so they can cut and mix a moooooontage[/QUOTE]
6) People like to stream the time they waste on video games so they know someone is wasting their time watching someone waste their time playing video games

[quote name='meta460085']I'm curious, you record your gaming sessions... Then what? What do you do with the video, do you watch it at a later date? If so why not just replay the game?[/QUOTE]

They put the video on Youtube and validate their existence based on the number of views they get for the content they create.

[quote name='StarryWisdom']5) People like to record MP footage so they can cut and mix a moooooontage[/QUOTE]
We're gonna need a montage... (MONTAAAAAGE)

Man, I sure do hope I got the right reference here...

I'm looking for a cheaper capture solution for streaming local fighting game events, but it doesn't look like this is it.

People look to stream when they host events/tournaments so that they can hopefully get featured on SRK and get their local scene noticed and get more people involved/make a name for themselves when they travel. People all around the country stream weekly events for that reason.

Starcraft and League of Legends streams get even more attention. Fighting games are kind of smaller time as far as streams go, unfortunately.

bread's done
Back