GAME Chief Executive Resigns. Profits fall.

PhaperPlane

CAGiversary!
The BBC reports that the chief executive of GAME, Lisa Morgan, has resigned after shares sunk 14% and a 28% fall in annual profits. Lisa Morgan will be replaced by Chris Bell, former boss of Ladbrokes. GAME's UK chief operating officer Terry Scicluna has also stepped down. GAME has blamed the "wider fall in video game sales for its decline in profits."
You can read the full article here

So CAG's, what do we all think of this? Personally, I saw this coming.

Can't say as I'm surprised in the slightest, and to a certain extent pleased.

Shops like GAME have spent the last 15-20 years making things virtually impossible for third party game shops, and yet apart from some special offers, GAME (and GameStation), have been massively overpriced, even on 2nd hand games - at least in the high street stores, and have normally been undercut by loads of places.

Personally I think it's great for the consumer as chances are that we'll see more competitive prices appearing due to this, and I'd love to see them actually hire staff that know what they're on about (One CSA advised me not to bother with Mario Kart on the DS, because My Sims Racing was far superior in every way...oh dear).

Indy.

I like when GAME lose money. Their trade in prices suck and then they sell the game maybe £2 cheaper but get the full profit. I used to go GameStation and their pre-owned games were very reasonably priced. I got a pre-owned copy of Oblivion for £20 only a few weeks after that game came out but since GAME took them over, their prices went up and the prices on older games just don't seem to come down. When you can get so many games online for less than £20 a month after they come out, retail stores selling the game for double can't compete.

[quote name='mrcraggle']I like when GAME lose money. Their trade in prices suck and then they sell the game maybe £2 cheaper but get the full profit. I used to go GameStation and their pre-owned games were very reasonably priced. I got a pre-owned copy of Oblivion for £20 only a few weeks after that game came out but since GAME took them over, their prices went up and the prices on older games just don't seem to come down. When you can get so many games online for less than £20 a month after they come out, retail stores selling the game for double can't compete.[/QUOTE]

Gamestation has sucked since GAME took over. Neither store has had a buy X get X free deal for ages. At my nearest GAME some pre-owned games are dearer than brand new version. They also never sort out any of the game sections.

Can't say i care much about GAME and Gamestation anymore, they have stupid preowned prices, barely give anything for trade ins and very rarely have any decent offers any more.

I'll do all my shopping online thanks.

[quote name='TheToiletDuck']also, i hear GAME touches small boys.[/QUOTE]
I shouldn't have laughed.

Also, pretty much agree with everything here. Was in town recently and ventured into GAME and Gamestation, despairing at the prices.

Couldn't care to be honest, my video game shopping consists of supermarkets/online - which both are considerably more cheaper.

[quote name='rowie4life']At my nearest GAME some pre-owned games are dearer than brand new version.[/QUOTE]

I've noticed that a lot too. They also don't really seem to have much of a PC section these days either. I'm glad digital distribution exists for PCs otherwise it'd be nearly impossible to get PC games.

bread's done
Back