Game company logos - why?!?!

Serpentor

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Every freaking time you power up a game, there are logos... tons of them... Some can't be skipped, some can... Basically you're wasting at least 10 seconds every time you play a game (not counting loading time).

WHY?!?! Can't you just skip them after seeing them for the 1st time? For movies, the FBI warning screen and such are not too much trouble, since you rarely watch a movie 2 or 3 times. However, for a game, you definitely power it up more than 5 times (games you like to play).

While i'm at it... i hate that stupid msg, HDD flashing while saving game, duh! i get it, okay, move on! Why you have to tell me every freaking time?!?!
And oh yeah, ESRB rating... Online contents are not rated... Okay! I get it, why the hell you have to tell me every time i play?!?! In every freaking game?!?!

What i want? Just bring me to the damn main menu and let me select my CONTINUE, like the good old days, thank you!

As someone who works in graphic design, I can tell you that most companies put a great emphasis on their logos. For starters, they usually spend a sizeable chunk of cash on researching and deciding on what their logo will actually be. There are highly skilled designers out there whose only job is to design corporate logos.

With a game, not only does the company have a chance to put their logo front-and-center everytime you play, but they get to throw in clever animations to highlight their logo. (just like major movie studios do) For your usual designer, this is a dream come true. And for your usual company, it is a great way to force end-users to be exposed to their corporate branding. There is no way that either party would decide NOT to splash their logo in front of your face for 5-10 interruptive seconds.

But of course, any 10-second promo can be forgiven. The real annoyance is when you have to sit through four or five of them. This is just a result of video games becoming big business. If you have only one company producing a game, you will only have to sit through one logo intro. But these days, it is quite common for four or five companies to have a hand in a game's production, not to mention the publishing branch. And all of them are going to get their logos in somehow. You can't tell them not to do it, either. They all put in their time working on the game, so they've all earned their right to self-promotion.

You have to choose between long, in-depth, well-polished games, and smaller games. Smaller, low-budget games can be produced by a single company, and sometimes are even self-published. (only one logo is needed) But if you are going to have epic, 50-hour + games with sweeping vistas and jaw-dropping graphics, at least three or four different comapnies are going to be in the mix, as well as a major publisher.

Intro logo presentations are one of the easiest and most reliable forms of self-promotion for a developer and publisher. They WILL NEVER give them up. And honestly, I'm surprised they let you skip them at all. They don't have to let you skip them. Be grateful that most of them actually provide that small mercy. It's just how marketing and advertising work. If there is an opportunity to self-promote, they'll take it.

The thing is, if you don't already know the people involved in making the game, the logos are going to mean nothing to you. Oh neat, Tasty Dog's logo is at the intro, and they did.... what exactly for the game? Made the 3D cutscenes? Provided the game engine?

What's worse are games that don't let you skip thru the game credits to do a save or something.

But there, every once in a while some companies make it fun to read the names via minigames - especially Sega (Monkey Ball games), Capcom (Tatsunoko vs Capcom) and Nintendo (Smash Bros)

I wish they would make more games credits like some movies credits, where they show 'bloopers' or maybe some behind-the-scenes stuff or give a teaser for the next game in that series at the very end of the credits like some movies have done.

Speaking of game ending credits, it's insanely long now a day! Normally i just skip them, unless there's a trophy for not skipping it (i don't sit in front of the TV and watch the whole damn thing). I know for Resistance 2 and Gears 2, there were little actions after the credits rolled... Actually for game endings, i don't mind much since i watch it only once and they don't pop in your face all the time.

Whats up with perforations on toilet paper, man!?!?!?? I can decide how much I want to tear off on my own! Seriously? Every time I need to wipe my ass there are those perforations trying to tell my how much paper MY ass needs. fuck you Charmin, let me make my own decisions.

I have yet to meet a game that you couldn't skip the opening logos, unless the game was loading underneath.

But I do agree that there are alot more of them now. They developer, the publisher, the renderware, the middleware, every piece of software they use has a logo now.

What burns me nowadays is how long it takes from turning on a console, to actually starting to play a game. It seems like 20 minutes to me sometimes. I miss the days of flipping a switch on my NES or SNES, and the game starts within 10 seconds.

And don't even get me started on putting a new PS3 game in for the first time. I can grow a beard while the mandatory 30 minute install happens.

[quote name='JEKKI']they should jus replace all the logos with one giant Wu-Tang logo.

Wu-Tang Forever!![/QUOTE]

Agreed. That shit best be yellow tho.

WuTang_ClanLogo_small_1.jpg

Hmmm I think it has to do with that there are more idiotic people in the world that would try to sue and complain if those features where not there...maybe the logos on the games are just there while it boots up....some are rather entertaining while most just plain suck. I'd rather know my game was loading than have a black screen or a static image with a load bar. Hmmmm for movies yea I hate those FBI screens and Ads. But usually I just walk away from the tv or game system, make a coffee and then play or watch when its done.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I actually like seeing them, it reminds me of other games I've played that were made by the studio.[/QUOTE]
I like seeing them, too. Sometimes I'll keep soft-resetting over and over because I'm really not into the game, but the stylish logos are all that.

I was actually very impressed by Lost Odyssey and (I think) Blue Dragon, they completely skip all logos and go straight to the title screen. All games should be like this.

[quote name='guinaevere']I like seeing them, too. Sometimes I'll keep soft-resetting over and over because I'm really not into the game, but the stylish logos are all that.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

I too miss the days of press-Power-and-play-the-fucking-game-in-10-seconds.

Just turning on the Xbox seems like an involved process now.

[quote name='guinaevere']I like seeing them, too. Sometimes I'll keep soft-resetting over and over because I'm really not into the game, but the stylish logos are all that.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

I'll admit. I was amused by the one loading screen for Little Big Planet that had Sackboy running on LBP or something. If you pressed X during the screen, he jumped.

[quote name='JEKKI']they should jus replace all the logos with one giant Wu-Tang logo.

Wu-Tang Forever!![/QUOTE]

When it comes to the children, Wu-Tang is for the children.

[quote name='Malik112099']OP, do you get upset before a movie when it says "Paramount pictures presents...in association with.....?"[/QUOTE]

I don't mind that stuff. But it burns my ass that I have to sit through 5 or 6 fucking television ads before the previews start. I just paid $12+ to see a movie (NYC FTW!) and I gotta watch Coca Cola ads? WTF???

I immediately thought of the Ghostbusters demo when I saw this thread title.

Anybody else check it out? There are literally like ten logos before you start playing the game. I honestly thought it was a joke, and the game was trying to be funny.

Maybe the next step in logo designing is interactivity? Mini games? Hey how about unlocking achievements/trophies at the logo screens? Just give us something other than the same thing over and over... Perhaps randomized order or pictures...

Logos in the movie theater, at least you only have to watch once per movie. Once you've played a game a few times, you kinda get the picture.

bread's done
Back