Game Console to VGA Adapter PS2/Xbox/GameCube 19.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
It won't allow high def signals through, and won't upconvert them either (outputs only @ 640 x 480 resolution). It also says "This VGA adapter in only compatible for use with standard analog PC monitors", so it's not clear if it works on lcd's (though the way I read it I don't think it does).

Only buy it if you must play the systems on a crt monitor @ 640 x 480 resolution.

The VGA adapter you have a link for will get the job done but I do think you should know that there is two different kinds. One kind of VGA adapter (the one shown in your link) will be very convenient in the fact that it will work on every game for any of the three major consoles and its a cheap solution to what your trying to acomplish. The only negative with this adapter is that alot of your games will not look as good at times as say your regular TV. This is due to the fact that you will have a lower resoultion source on the PC monitor then what it was intended for. The other kind of VGA adapter which can be found here (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=221&products_id=4233&) is not as convenient due to the fact that it won't work on every game but when it does work the grafix quality is amazing and rivals that of some HDTVs! Heres how it works....instead of connecting one of your systems with the standard av cables or s-video cables you would actually use component cables for the connection. With that kind of cable connected, your system in know able to output in higher resoultions such as 480p, 720p, and 1080i. Then that adapter takes that higher signal and you get one incredible picture. The negative to this setup is if the game you are playing does not output in at least 480 progressive scan then that game will not be compatible. So keep in mind if you are using a XBOX almost every game outputs in at least 480p, while some can go as high as 720p and 1080i. The Gamecube outputs around 60 percent of its games in 480p like Resident Evil 4 and Super Mario Sunshine. The Playstation 2 outputs somewhere around 30% of its games in 480p like Star Ocean and Tekken 5. So if you have a XBOX or plan to get one of the next gen consoles you should consider the higher resoultion adapter.

If you are really looking for a rock your socks of VGA adapter for the xbox, I highly recommend x2vga (found at www.x2vga.com of course but you can get them used on ebay). It's a little pricey, but since I bought it like 4 years ago, I have yet to regret a single penny. It works for most (like 99%, only the ones that don't have any high def signal, like SRS, won't display with this converter) xbox games and displays them in native high def and even wide screen (for the games that can display in widescreen) on your pc monitor. I have a dell 20" wide and I must say games look absolutely gorgeous for personal gaming. I even tested it on my 42" plasma and it still looks stunning through the vga cable. Bottom line is, this is THE vga converter for xbox. Any other system, I'm not sure about, I do know that GC has a really good dedicated vga box as well. PS2 is the only system without a great vga converter... then again, most PS2 games are not high def anyway.

The whole reason I got it was for PS2 480i content. I've got an HDTV, and everything that's natively widescreen and 480p or better looks great. Everything that's 480i looks like crap.

Thanks OP. I have been looking for a cheap way to play my Cube on my monitor.

Just so everyone knows, the adapter ships for free as well.

[quote name='kodec']Has anyone tried the VDigi transcoder?
http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?opti...&category_id=759df22fdaeabe0bcd58c745d6286257

I'm thinking of getting this one over the X2VGA since the input is component,
which would work with Xbox, PS2, Cube, Xbox360, etc.

Both units are transcoders from what I'm reading on the various sites...[/QUOTE]
Yes.

Slightly better picture. Far better adjustments available. Can be used with multiple pro scan components. IMO Vidigi is the best there is by a wide margin.

i had one of these back in the day for my ps2...same model...the image was pretty damn fuzzy but playable...its good if you are in college and dont have room for a tv, or if you roommate is watching tv and you want to play ps2....but if you are looking to get good visuals on a pc monitor...stay away

The VDigi is the best one around, unless you want to pay $200+ for a Nextvision N6. The plus side of the N6 is that it can handle any signal, including 480i, whereas the VDigi can't handle 480i.

VDigi is never out of stock for too long, and their customer service has been great, in my experience, which is rare for a company in a non-English speaking country outside of Play-Asia or Lik-Sang.

The X2VGA is equal, except that it can only be used on the original Xbox. Big, big drawback.

If you don't get a VGA adapter that uses component inputs and gives you a high def signal, it will look like garbage. Worse than a regular TV. Stay away unless you're getting something good.

I own the original version of the VDigi (the one thats not quite as good), and I love it. I currently use the official VGA adapter on my 360, and the VDigi on my HDTV cable box. I've replaced my 1984 RCA with a 20" SGI monitor.

[quote name='dafoomie']The VDigi is the best one around, unless you want to pay $200+ for a Nextvision N6. The plus side of the N6 is that it can handle any signal, including 480i, whereas the VDigi can't handle 480i.

VDigi is never out of stock for too long, and their customer service has been great, in my experience, which is rare for a company in a non-English speaking country outside of Play-Asia or Lik-Sang.

The X2VGA is equal, except that it can only be used on the original Xbox. Big, big drawback.

If you don't get a VGA adapter that uses component inputs and gives you a high def signal, it will look like garbage. Worse than a regular TV. Stay away unless you're getting something good.

I own the original version of the VDigi (the one thats not quite as good), and I love it. I currently use the official VGA adapter on my 360, and the VDigi on my HDTV cable box. I've replaced my 1984 RCA with a 20" SGI monitor.[/QUOTE]
Do you have more info about the Nextvision N6? I have a PS2 and would be interested to play games on my LCD monitor...

I have a 26" Samsung lcd tv and use the xbox on it with component cables. Would the vdigi device look even better than component cables on this set or would it be about the same? Thank you.

you guys should just get a tv tuner card. It's 50-70 dollars, you don't need to get a converter, and you could also watch tv on your monitor too.

my friend has a 60" SONY (2005) and uses the component cables for his xbox (hi def pack) and the HD games look great. as far as using a converter to do this for the same application as the hd-pack would, well stick the topic of consol -> pc monitor.

nintendo's component cable adapter also looks damn great progressive scan with RE4 on his freakin monterously huge TV.

There's also the Sony PS2 VGA adaptor that came with the Linux kit, but there's only one game of which I know that outputs native VGA.

You need an upscan converter to watch anything that's not natively high-def on a monitor, which means most of the PS2's library and oddities like the Xbox menu screen. I imported the Redant VGA PS2 adapter during my college years for game reviewing (for a now-defunct site; can't get anyone jobs). It looked pretty bad but it was enough to get the point. I don't recommend using tuner/capture cards. I had to use one for screenshots and the experience was less than ideal, though they may have improved.

It's often a pain to get good component cables for the GCN, so the only brainless VGA experience on consoles, excluding the Xbox 360 and, of course, the Dreamcast, is via the Xbox's high-def signal. Maybe there'll be a DVI craze soon. *shrug*

Though it doesn't cover most of the products in the thread, http://tiptonium.com/videogames/reviews/other/xselectd4.htm is a great primer for VGA console signals.

[quote name='Big Wang']you guys should just get a tv tuner card. It's 50-70 dollars, you don't need to get a converter, and you could also watch tv on your monitor too.[/QUOTE]
Most TV tuner cards I've seen have some lag, which isn't conducive to gaming.

[quote name='radjago']Most TV tuner cards I've seen have some lag, which isn't conducive to gaming.[/QUOTE]

Really? I would assume the lag only appears on your monitor due to the response time. Such as mine, 25ms = shitty gameplay.

I used my tv tuner so I could play my Xbox and it worked well for NBA 2k6, anything else with fast cameras lags way too much. Probably due to my monitor.

I just noticed the the red/yellow/white holes on this adapter. Would this item be good for the old systems like PsOne, N64, Genesis, NES, and Dreamcast? I have one of those old computer moniters that are grey sitting in my room and I don't have enough space for a huge television. Sorry I'm new to the VGA adapters, I'm still used to the RF and composite plugs. Thanks ahead.

[quote name='jjz203']If you are really looking for a rock your socks of VGA adapter for the xbox, I highly recommend x2vga (found at www.x2vga.com of course but you can get them used on ebay). It's a little pricey, but since I bought it like 4 years ago, I have yet to regret a single penny. It works for most (like 99%, only the ones that don't have any high def signal, like SRS, won't display with this converter) xbox games and displays them in native high def and even wide screen (for the games that can display in widescreen) on your pc monitor. I have a dell 20" wide and I must say games look absolutely gorgeous for personal gaming. I even tested it on my 42" plasma and it still looks stunning through the vga cable. Bottom line is, this is THE vga converter for xbox. Any other system, I'm not sure about, I do know that GC has a really good dedicated vga box as well. PS2 is the only system without a great vga converter... then again, most PS2 games are not high def anyway.[/QUOTE]

I also own a x2vga. It's not the typical CAG buy, but it's cheaper then buying an HD TV so I could justify the cost.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I just noticed the the red/yellow/white holes on this adapter. Would this item be good for the old systems like PsOne, N64, Genesis, NES, and Dreamcast? I have one of those old computer moniters that are grey sitting in my room and I don't have enough space for a huge television. Sorry I'm new to the VGA adapters, I'm still used to the RF and composite plugs. Thanks ahead.[/QUOTE]
This one doesn't have any composite inputs. It only has outputs for it. The box plugs directly into the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube. Even if it did have composite inputs, it would look terrible upscaled on a VGA monitor.

I just got mine in the mail, and ran it through some tests. Short story: glad I got it.

First, those AV jacks on the side are OUTPUTS, not inputs. That means that it's only compatible with PS2, Xbox 1, and SNES/N64/GC. But, on the flip side, it means that even if you never touch the VGA capability, you've got yourself a $20 S-Video cable for all said systems. It comes with a composite cable with S-Video, as well as connections from the box to your PC for video and sound, so you'll be all set to pass the PC signal through it for when you're not playing, and hook the thing up to your TV as well in case you want to switch off.

It needs to be plugged into the mem card slot when using the PS2 connection for some reason, so it doesn't work with the PS1 unless you've got a powered-on PS2 nearby to plug the mem card adaptor into. In which case, you should just play the games on the PS2. I didn't dig out my SNES or N64 to test them, but since they use all the same connections, I'd imagine they'd work. And we all know the 360 has different connections from the original Xbox, but if you want to play 360 games on the monitor, I know you're smart enough to spend $40 on the 360 VGA adaptor to play them in HD.

The picture: good. It doesn't upconvert it at all, it just sends an analog 640x480 picture to your monitor, so don't expect anything better than a nice flat TV with S-Video input. I tested it on some Beatmania to see if there was any lag whatsoever, and I'm pleased to say there was none at all. Since the HDTV I've got in my room sucks hard at 480i and will only display 480p in widescreen, this is a great alternative for old generation games that didn't support widescreen and 480p, which is the vast, vast majority. This is exactly what I expected, with none of the downfalls I worried about. If you just want to turn your monitor into another place to play your games, your $20 will be well spent here.

I got mine the other day and finally had time to hook everything up. I have to say that I am not as happy as mkelehan, but for $20 I am pleased.

As mkelehan stated, the VGA input is very nice. It means that you can still use your computer (or in my case, your Xbox 360 with VGA cable) with the monitor without having to mess with wires every time you switch platforms.

I have found that the picure quality of my Gamecube on my monitor is not quite as good as using a normal TV. The strange thing is that the quality varies between games. On Wind Waker everything in the the background is noticeably blurry, but the foreground is clear. On Paper Mario everything looks about as good as it does on the TV. On Resident Evil 4 pretty much everything is just a little blurry. The games aren't unplayable by any means, but they look slightly worse than they do on a tv.

For me, I wanted to play my Cube in the same place I played my 360. I also didn't want to drop a lot of cash on a nice VGA converter, as the Revolution is rumored to have native VGA support.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/522/522559p2.html "In June 2004 Nintendo engineer Genyo Takeda said: "You'll be able to play [Revolution] not just by linking up to a television but to a computer monitor as well."

This should get the job done for the next ten months or so until the Rev comes out.

Edit: I am using a 21" CRT monitor. The instructions that come with the VGA adapter state that it is not compatible with LCD panels.

It says not compatible with Apple, which makes no sense. VGA is VGA, and Macs ship with a DVI to VGA converter. I run a Mac Mini connected via a DVI to VGA connector to a Dr. Bott Moniswitch USB KVM switch. My PS2 connects thru a Sagestar/Redant YbBrwhatever , and I have no probs with signals to my 21" Apple MultiSync Trinitron.

The Dr. Bott USB switch allows my keyboard to kick over to my PS2 for text chat in games like Killzone.

Because of the success of my set-up, I am concerned about switching to an LCD with a PS2. Does anyone have experience hooking up a PS2 to an LCD monitor?

[quote name='mkelehan']I just got mine in the mail, and ran it through some tests. Short story: glad I got it.

First, those AV jacks on the side are OUTPUTS, not inputs. That means that it's only compatible with PS2, Xbox 1, and SNES/N64/GC. But, on the flip side, it means that even if you never touch the VGA capability, you've got yourself a $20 S-Video cable for all said systems. It comes with a composite cable with S-Video, as well as connections from the box to your PC for video and sound, so you'll be all set to pass the PC signal through it for when you're not playing, and hook the thing up to your TV as well in case you want to switch off.

It needs to be plugged into the mem card slot when using the PS2 connection for some reason, so it doesn't work with the PS1 unless you've got a powered-on PS2 nearby to plug the mem card adaptor into. In which case, you should just play the games on the PS2. I didn't dig out my SNES or N64 to test them, but since they use all the same connections, I'd imagine they'd work. And we all know the 360 has different connections from the original Xbox, but if you want to play 360 games on the monitor, I know you're smart enough to spend $40 on the 360 VGA adaptor to play them in HD.

The picture: good. It doesn't upconvert it at all, it just sends an analog 640x480 picture to your monitor, so don't expect anything better than a nice flat TV with S-Video input. I tested it on some Beatmania to see if there was any lag whatsoever, and I'm pleased to say there was none at all. Since the HDTV I've got in my room sucks hard at 480i and will only display 480p in widescreen, this is a great alternative for old generation games that didn't support widescreen and 480p, which is the vast, vast majority. This is exactly what I expected, with none of the downfalls I worried about. If you just want to turn your monitor into another place to play your games, your $20 will be well spent here.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='locutus411']I got mine the other day and finally had time to hook everything up. I have to say that I am not as happy as mkelehan, but for $20 I am pleased.

As mkelehan stated, the VGA input is very nice. It means that you can still use your computer (or in my case, your Xbox 360 with VGA cable) with the monitor without having to mess with wires every time you switch platforms.

I have found that the picure quality of my Gamecube on my monitor is not quite as good as using a normal TV. The strange thing is that the quality varies between games. On Wind Waker everything in the the background is noticeably blurry, but the foreground is clear. On Paper Mario everything looks about as good as it does on the TV. On Resident Evil 4 pretty much everything is just a little blurry. The games aren't unplayable by any means, but they look slightly worse than they do on a tv.

For me, I wanted to play my Cube in the same place I played my 360. I also didn't want to drop a lot of cash on a nice VGA converter, as the Revolution is rumored to have native VGA support.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/522/522559p2.html "In June 2004 Nintendo engineer Genyo Takeda said: "You'll be able to play [Revolution] not just by linking up to a television but to a computer monitor as well."

This should get the job done for the next ten months or so until the Rev comes out.[/QUOTE]

Hm... two rather different opinions. I've been looking for such an adaptor and for $20, I'm willing to give it a shot. I don't expect any fancy quality but if this gets the job done, I might be interested.:)

I am PMing both of you a question, I need a quick response incase you guys miss this.:)

[quote name='crazeman']sucks to hear that it doesn't work with ps1. i still have a stack of rpg that needs to be finished :booty:[/QUOTE]
Actually, I was wrong. That memory card thingy plugs into the PS1 just fine. It even says "PS/PS2 MEMORY CARD" on it. So, ready the stack.

I need something like this for my Genesis/Saturn/NES, I guess this isn't compatible.

I still wouldn't use this for any system that supports HD, but an unintended consequence of my replacing a standard TV with a monitor, is that I can't hook up my older systems anymore.

Now which of these would be good if I wanted to hook up, say, a DVD player as well?

I have an old RGB monitor (Commodore 1084!) I use for console gaming, but would now like to get something larger. I also have two computers, one main and one supplimentary, and my dream would be for the second computer screen to be either my PC, TV, or console.

As far as consoles, I have a SNES, but I've been doing most of that with emulation. About as far back as I might go is N64, but if I can't there is always the 1084. And, I have a PS I use quite a bit, but I could always just get a PS2.

So in that case, what are my best options? I'm not too hip to what all the different outputs are. I looked into it a bit in the last two weeks, but my ignorance regarding display modes and their hookups is kind of a sticking point.

[quote name='tony72']Now which of these would be good if I wanted to hook up, say, a DVD player as well?

I have an old RGB monitor (Commodore 1084!) I use for console gaming, but would now like to get something larger. I also have two computers, one main and one supplimentary, and my dream would be for the second computer screen to be either my PC, TV, or console.

As far as consoles, I have a SNES, but I've been doing most of that with emulation. About as far back as I might go is N64, but if I can't there is always the 1084. And, I have a PS I use quite a bit, but I could always just get a PS2.

So in that case, what are my best options? I'm not too hip to what all the different outputs are. I looked into it a bit in the last two weeks, but my ignorance regarding display modes and their hookups is kind of a sticking point.[/QUOTE]
I have a Commodore 1084 too! It's a great monitor for gaming and it's quite portable too. Even now it looks so good hooked up with s-video that people tell me all the time how great it looks.

[quote name='tony72']Now which of these would be good if I wanted to hook up, say, a DVD player as well?

So in that case, what are my best options? I'm not too hip to what all the different outputs are. I looked into it a bit in the last two weeks, but my ignorance regarding display modes and their hookups is kind of a sticking point.[/QUOTE]If you're using it as another PC monitor (which I'm doing too; triple length desktop with 2 monitors and a TV), why not just use the PC's DVD player?

Just to warn you, I had this and ALL systems looked beyond horrible on it. I mainly got it for my dreamcast, but tried it on all the others as well and had the same results. Of course, I have a 22" monitor, so trying to run it in 640x480 resolution didn't work out too well. Also, this requires that you have your PC turned on for it to function. Overall, I'd give this thing a 2/10. The text in games and on menus was unreadable, everything is a blury mess, and the device itself it just cheap. Again, BE WARNED!

^ I'm confused I was told this VGA adapter was only for the current generation consoles as well as those similar like N64, PSX, and SNES. How did you get it to work with the Dreamcast? I know that the Dreamcast is capable of VGA.

Grimes, I think you got the wrong adapter. You don't need your PC turned on for this to work, I am running it just fine with an xbox and a CRT monitor. And I'm not sure how you hooked up a Dreamcast to it, since the video cables connected to the adapter only support xbox/ps2/gc and possibly any system that has the same plug (SNES/N64/PSone).

Anyways, I got this thing so I could hook up my PSone to the monitor, but it doesn't work. I was wondering if someone could help me troubleshoot the problem. The only difference I notice when connecting the PSone vs. the xbox is that two red lights on the adapter activate while only one turns on when I use the xbox. Has anyone else tested their PSone on it? I am thinking the PSone doesn't supply enough power to the VGA box, so if someone could test it on the original Playstation....

Sound works, and so does the TV output on the adapter, but I still can't get the monitor to display anything.

Yeah, totally talking about a different one. I didn't have my PC in the equation at all when I first tested it, it's not remotely compatible with the DC, and I wouldn't call the picture "beyond horrible." Passable at worst, pretty good at best. It's not any better than an SD TV, but it's not any worse either.

re: PS1 and VGA connectivity

There are some known issues with some of the VGA adapters. I do not know about the particular item that started this thread, but in my own experience with the Sagestar/Redant products there were diffs between what was and was not supported.

When I upgraded from a 17" Apple Monitor to my current 75 lbs 21" Apple Multi-Sync Trinitron monster, my original Redant VGA converter (which worked just fine) would not work with my PS2 any longer. I upgraded to the Sagestar (Redant) YpBrwhatever one, and could see again. It is an issue of the tech inside the VGA converter, but unfortunately it is nothing u will find in documented anywhere.

By the by, I tested this on my friend's slim PS2 today, and it did NOT work. I also tried it on his roommate's thick PS2, and it worked fine. Also tried it on an SNES, and unsurprisingly, it worked fine.

[quote name='mkelehan']If you're using it as another PC monitor (which I'm doing too; triple length desktop with 2 monitors and a TV), why not just use the PC's DVD player?[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, perhaps I was too vague. I'm using the 1084 as a display for my console games, not for the PC. My second PC -is- using a normal 17" monitor, and I would like to have everything go onto that 17" monitor if possible.

I would also like to have a TV tuner displaying on that monitor if possible, but if I can get everything but that, perhaps I'll invest in a TV/monitor.

[quote name='tony72']I'm sorry, perhaps I was too vague. I'm using the 1084 as a display for my console games, not for the PC. My second PC -is- using a normal 17" monitor, and I would like to have everything go onto that 17" monitor if possible.

I would also like to have a TV tuner displaying on that monitor if possible, but if I can get everything but that, perhaps I'll invest in a TV/monitor.[/QUOTE]
If there's any sort of less-than-a-decade-old PC hooked to it, though, I still can't see why you'd want to have a DVD player hooked to it as well.

Do you have to have a computer hooked up to the monitor as well? I want to just have a monitor in my room.

Nope, you don't. If you are going to use a PS2, you have to hookup the included PS2 memory card adapter so the VGA adapter gets power. No PC needed.

I just tested this on my PSone while the VGA adapter was being powered by the PS2, and it works. Looks great too, but too much of a hassle to setup.

[quote name='dnguyen800']

I just tested this on my PSone while the VGA adapter was being powered by the PS2, and it works. Looks great too, but too much of a hassle to setup.[/QUOTE]
Did you try it with the mem card adaptor plugged into the PS1?

[quote name='mkelehan']Did you try it with the mem card adaptor plugged into the PS1?[/QUOTE]

i would like to know the answer to this as well.... if it works with the ps1 (and the picture quality is at least 'normal') i'll order one right now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back