game controllers for mame

Darkpaul

CAGiversary!
Hi, guys. I'm thinking of buying an arcade-style joystick for my mame collection and I want to know what your opinions of what to get. Even cross-platform as I have a psx-usb adapter and an n64-adapter and would be willing to get another adapter, just unsure of what to get.

I am aware of the x-arcade stick, which I am thinking of getting, but damn that thing is expensive. I saw one on ebay recently that's going for $50 plus $15 shipping, cheaper, but there's still 8 hours to go.

But are there other pc arcade sticks? (good ones). I'd hate to spend a ton for the xarcade when there's something pretty good for much cheaper.

I have an X-Arcade and it is rock solid. Expensive? Yes, but I think it's well worth it. The lifetime warranty really sealed the deal for me.

I bought a Hanho Hotrod Joystick on Ebay a couple of years back; the purple two player deluxe version with coin-in buttons on the sides. It cost be well over a hundred bucks, but I consider it a soundinvestment. When friends come over and look at it/play on it, they're blown away. It has an authentic arcade feel and plays great with my Capcom fighters.

[quote name='jaso']I bought a Hanho Hotrod Joystick on Ebay a couple of years back; the purple two player deluxe version with coin-in buttons on the sides. It cost be well over a hundred bucks, but I consider it a soundinvestment. When friends come over and look at it/play on it, they're blown away. It has an authentic arcade feel and plays great with my Capcom fighters.[/quote]

I've got the same thing on my arcade PC, with the track ball. I like how it's set up for both Capcom and Neo-Geo, and is recognized and switchable through mame itself.

Now remember boys and girls-- you must get your ROMs through a legal method, such as StarROMs or Hanaho........

The Picture of my Machine

[quote name='BigDirty']Now remember boys and girls-- you must get your ROMs through a legal method, such as StarROMs or Hanaho........[/quote]

:wink:

Why dont you try making your own, it is cheaper, it will look more professional, and it isn't that hard to wire up. You can buy the parts you need from Happ Controls. They have a website and great customer service. I made 2 already and they work great. One of them can be used to play on the playstation. Here is a good website for tips:
http://www.arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

Lots of walkthroughs and tips, you dont even have to really do any work. You can just dismantle an old PSX controller and wire some arcade buttons to it. Now you have a PSX/PC Arcade stick.

I have to say, while yes, the X-Arcade is more expensive than a whole system (especially the 2 player one), it is worth it. The stick just feels right. Plus, there are a variety of adapters for every current system, all you need is a game that doesnt need multiple analog sticks. I can't wait to get my GCN adapter and play Melee on it.

The best two controllers that I've used are both expensive as heck but worth it IMO they are the standard mame controller from www.massystems.com and the two person controller from www.slikstik.com the best one is upgraded with the perfect 360 optical controls and the translucent track ball, rotary stick and dedicated 4-way joystick

Hmm. Okay....while I'm also considering these (likely go for x-arcade if I go for one), how do you play with them? I mean, how comfortable are you holding the control? Do you mount it? What?! ;)

I'm just curious because I have a computer desk and play mame on my monitor with my psx and n64 adapter. While okay, they sure as hell don't offer the range and versatility I'd like (especially with the fighter games like the marvel vs. capcom series, etc).

What am I going to have to do to be comfortable playing with the xarcade stick?

[quote name='big_squirtle']Why dont you try making your own, it is cheaper, it will look more professional, and it isn't that hard to wire up. You can buy the parts you need from Happ Controls. They have a website and great customer service. I made 2 already and they work great. One of them can be used to play on the playstation. Here is a good website for tips:
http://www.arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

Lots of walkthroughs and tips, you dont even have to really do any work. You can just dismantle an old PSX controller and wire some arcade buttons to it. Now you have a PSX/PC Arcade stick.[/quote]

Yah thats a great site got me to build my machine. Check my gallery

[quote name='Darkpaul']Hmm. Okay....while I'm also considering these (likely go for x-arcade if I go for one), how do you play with them? I mean, how comfortable are you holding the control? Do you mount it? What?! ;)

I'm just curious because I have a computer desk and play mame on my monitor with my psx and n64 adapter. While okay, they sure as hell don't offer the range and versatility I'd like (especially with the fighter games like the marvel vs. capcom series, etc).

What am I going to have to do to be comfortable playing with the xarcade stick?[/quote]

I actually put that monstrosity on my lap when I sit in front of my electronics. It gets a little difficult with 2 people, but I really don't have problems using it fully.

Hmm. I'll have to think about how to handle the placement and weight. If anybody else uses it, please, tell me how :). I always like to hear diverse opinions.

By the way, do you play it with the light gun games? I'm curious how (at all, actually) you can play them with the xarcade. Terminator 2, revolutionx, carnevil, etc. I loved those games, but just don't know if it would even work with them. Hmm?

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I have to say, while yes, the X-Arcade is more expensive than a whole system (especially the 2 player one), it is worth it. The stick just feels right. Plus, there are a variety of adapters for every current system, all you need is a game that doesnt need multiple analog sticks. I can't wait to get my GCN adapter and play Melee on it.[/quote]

Penguin, if your playing serious smash bros meele you need both sticks.

bread's done
Back